News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:24AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 206
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 203
Total: 205

Health & Safety

Started by TONKA, 11-06-07, 05:06AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppy1

thank you eric 79

Egg Head

Quote from: poppy1 on 23-03-14, 09:14PM
thank you but iv already hurt my back lifting something heavy off capping shelves from a foot stool.  was off work nearly a month and having to be careful lifting now three months on.  apparently according to my manager it was my fault should hav e been using ladders and not lifting it if it was too heavy, but iv had no training on this.

Was the accident investigated to find out the cause ?
All accidents at work should be investigated especially if people are injured
H&S rep should investigate to try to determine cause and any underlying issues or ways of working to prevent further incidents/accidents

Nomad

@poppy1 have you looked here http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=2 there is a manual handling gender height/weight guide.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

bangers

how often should air condition be cleaned? filters replaced and ducting cleaned out
as in the 4 years I've worked here its not been done once

Nomad

It depends on usage load, also on type and the manufacturer guidelines.  Find manufacturer and then try to find their guidelines.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Morris999

Bangers
How do you know they haven't been done once in the 4 years that you have worked there!
Just because you do not see it get done doesn't mean it hasn't, unless your the IST that's failed to complete it!

Loki

It's chilly out there.

Reasonable temperature for indoor workplaces:

http://www.verylittlehelps.com/wiki/index.php?title=Minimum_Temperature
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

The Mrs

It should be pointed out that that is only guidance, there is no law for minimum temperatures and it would be different for staff working, for example, in chilled and frozen DCs.

Loki

That's correct, the law does not state a minimum temperature, however, a reasonable temperature for a workplace, as set out in the approved code of practice, depends on work activity and the environmental conditions of the workplace.

The previous link contains information provided by Usdaw for members working within the Store Formats. However, much like you have described, there are departments where reasonable working temperatures cannot be achieved IE Chillers and Freezers. When working in such an environment, suitable protective clothing and rest facilities should be provided.

The company already provide certain clothing for the above departments via the Uniform Request Form.
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

JimmySaville

"The law does not state a minimum temperature, but the temperature in workrooms should normally be at least:
16°C, or 13°C if much of the work is physical.
"

'During working hours, the temperature in all workplaces inside buildings shall be reasonable.'

our store 0

queenscorgie

I AM CURRENTLY WORKING ON TROLLYS IN A EXTRA CAR PARK 1560 PARKING SPACES TO GET THE CARPARK IN A TIDY STATE WE HAVE TO PUSH MASSIVE QUANTITYS OF TROLLYS SAY 25 A TIME BY HAND NO CARTS RECENTLY WE WERE AUDITED AND THEY SAW ONE OF US PUSHING SAID 25 AND RED LIGHTED US SAYING 8 TROLLYS ATA TIME WITH A STRAP MADE FROM CAGE STRAPS TIED TOGETHER NOW WE HAD TO SIGH A DOCUMENT SAYING WE UNDERSTOOD THIS WHICH WAS FINE BUT NOW YOU CAN RUN AROUND CONSTANTLY TAKING 8 A TIME AS SIGNED FOR AND ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO CLEAR THINGS YET MANAGEMENT ARE HASTLING ME WHY I CANT CLEAR THE PLACE LIKE BEFORE. also OUT TEAM LEADERS JOB WENT SO WE LOST 9 HOURS A DAY . ITS REALLY GOT ME SO DRAINED ITS EFFECTING MY HEALTH NOW.  IM NO TEENAGER BUT THIS SHOULD NOT MATTER AS I AM CONSTANTLY WORKING .  THE BEST PART IS WHEN CAR PARK IS A MESS MANAGMENTCOME OUT AND HELP BRING THEM IN 25 AT A TIME NO STRAPS,HIVIZ, OR SAFETY BOOTS LOL.

[admin]Please ensure 'caps lock' is off while posting. Upper case is considered SHOUTING on forums. Nomad. [/admin]

DairyMaid

There are rules in place regarding trolleys and they do not include pushing 25 trolleys. Your health and safety reps should be on to this...Speak to them ! Failing that contact your local councils health dep't . Are you in the union ? If not, join !

outofsight

Stores. We have had several incidents from people working capping.
I had an accident whilst using a kick stool and injured myself.whilst working the capping.
Have complained about the issue mainly about the 50kg weight limit being exceeded and goods stacked 2 or 3 high.
Was shouted down at a forum meeting by store manager in front of everyone,
The union rep and health and safety rep said nothing .
Have now taken pictures of examples management just shrug shoulders when shown what would be the best way forward .
The managers set examples to staff by dragging 2 cages at a time if questioned just laugh.
Will try to upload pics.

lucgeo

Outfight

Careful you don't break the confidentiality code by uploading incriminating photos that could be recognised and get you into hot water!

Contact the protector line. Your reps should know that capping shelves should only be worked using the airport ladders and that everyone should have had the training signed off about this.

Tesco support sent out their monthly newspaper to all reps regarding the rules around using the capping shelves about 18 months ago.  Also the boxes should be one high, 50kg or under and no loose stock.

Your SM is a pr*t, refuse to work capping shelves without the airport ladders, and ask your managers to put in writing if they want you to work them against company regulations.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

notsofunny

Do not post photos , That could show which store you are from,

Have you filled in a report for the accident you had?

And as to being shouted down,,why are you doing it get your rep to do it thats why they are there

Have you taken the time to talk to your rep and health and safety rep on a one to one bases ?

I could ask why you are all stacking stock so high yourselfs, Using a kick stool to reach something when its is to high to reach,,,,,,,,,,, but wont since you will have a reply when and if you fall and break your ne......

outofsight

Not putting stock on capping or stacking stock on it myself.  Was taking stock off as there was 90 odd kg of weight on capping, this has gone on for last 12 months.  Fair point about the pics.

Took 2 weeks to get put in accident book, MM didn't even come and see me after it had happened. Their reasoning is whoever is hurt has to request it be put in accident book.  Have had. One to one with union rep and they were in the dark about how H&S is disregarded by MM.

I may get trained in week 33 or 34 some 2 and half months after accident.  Was told at AR H&S does not have an impact on attendance ( work part time ) so having 2 weeks off due to accident triggers AR.

We are told only nights work capping yet stock is stacked up 2 or 3 high with yellow count stickers.  Some one about to be signed off had accident didn't use any equipment and ended up pulling tray of stock onto them self, Rep told by PM he was seen standing on shelf reaching capping.  Lead managers seen pulling 2 cages by rep.

They wonder why so many are on light duties or off with injuries.

DairyMaid

Ha, just like my store , we have airport ladders but all rusting in the yard , never used , 100 kg on the capping shelves , multiple cage pulling is the norm and forget step stools , the favourite way to do capping is to climb the mod shelves like a ladder . Speak to management even if you are a hs rep and get laughed at . My store do not "do" health and safety .

mosquito

In my store we have delivery issues, we have tried to get Xtra fresh deliveries to no avail, this means the two days of double delivery means 20 cages of chilled , we're lucky to get 6 in the chiller, we try to rotate the stock every 20 minutes but in express is a problem.

Doodles

Can I just clarify if there is a difference of weight to be lifted above your head between a male and female dot com driver.

gomezz

No difference.  It is zero in both cases according to H&S Executive recommendations.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Duracell

UDL ( Uniform Distributed Load ) of shelving should not exceed the manufacturers recommendations.

To do so is a Breach of the Health & Safety at work Regs.

Tesco have a Training policy and outside Training company, that stipulates no manual handling above the handlers shoulder height.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

valleyboy

@ Duracell

Pristine / the company have now revised the above shoulder height guidance.

It's called "my height, my wrist, rule"

Basically what is being said if an object is below wrist when arm is raised its ok to lift. That said after an individual has assessed the weight.

The new training dvd has been approved and will be shown at the next health and safety annual refresher. That's distribution

gomezz

I have been trying to imagine how that works and it makes no sense?  Is this new HSE advice or more Tesco making it up as they go along?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Duracell

Quote from: valleyboy on 24-11-15, 03:57PM
@ Duracell

Pristine / the company have now revised the above shoulder height guidance.

It's called "my height, my wrist, rule"

Basically what is being said if an object is below wrist when arm is raised its ok to lift. That said after an individual has assessed the weight.

The new training dvd has been approved and will be shown at the next health and safety annual refresher. That's distribution

I understand your correction.

But yet to be briefed?
All must be briefed for it to be relative and in effect.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

formerscoboy

Interesting question for you all...what's more important the company making profit or health and safety?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk