News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 02:07PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 288
Total: 291

Dot Com Accidents

Started by I.AM_a driver, 22-12-06, 07:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomezz

quote:
Originally posted by I.AM_a driverI've been assigned our transit as my van every time i'm on shift, but i keep stalling it and its a push-button automatic!
In the end we refused to drive on our automatic transits as it got so bad at doing that - stalling and (even worse) lurching forward as it did so).  Got taken away and they could not find anything wrong, claimed to have fixed it after being taken away a second time.  The other automatics all did the same thing but that one was the worse.  Didn't really get a chance to see if it had really been fixed as we got new manual Mercs just after.  Those automatics are downright dangerous if not lethal and should be taken off the road.

"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

d0tc0mma

quote:
Originally posted by hatless

quote:
Originally posted by ali p

but there should still be restrictions as stated by health and safety as to what weight should belifted above chest height. Even with the steps there is still the possibility of overbalancing and falling backwards whilst trying to remove a wedged tray from sprained racking.  Trust me i've been there and got the back to last from it!

drivers from Edinburgh 1 used to hate delivering to me.  The drivers had to park 150yds away because of railings on the pavement.  And then they would have to climb 4 flights of stairs to a top floor tenement flat.  My usual delivery always included 3 cases of beer/lager/cider, a case of value beans and a case of value tinned tomatoes.  It's not a job that I would volunteer for if I had a bad back.

Don't ask others to deliver what you can't/won't do. We wouldn't deliver to you as we would have bad backs after doing one delivery!

Drive! Lazarus, Drive!
Welcome to NepoTesco!

Post edited by The Mrs. Please do not make personal attacks on others.

south-west-trains

quote:
Originally posted by TONKA

I would like to apologise to the dot com driver, who was driving past a golf club near Wigan yesterday at about 14.45, I am sorry if my golf ball woke you up when it clattered of the side of your van after a very wayward tee shot

Tonka (Administrator)

Bring me a shrubery

Lmao nice! Would love to have seen that  ;D

I.AM_a driver

I see there is a new photo in the gallery of a van, any idea what it hit/hit it?

you shop, I drop
I.AM_a driver

scammster

QuoteOriginally posted by I.AM_a driver
Is it the one on p14 of the gallery called 'smashing'. Nice photo, you were lucky to get out with only bruised fingers. I've been assigned our transit as my van every time i'm on shift, but i keep stalling it and its a push-button automatic! Bloody frustrating when you're in the middle of the road turning right

you shop, I drop
I.AM_a driver

sorry not been able to get online for a while!!  yes this is the pic i sent in, half shafted from the same page is also 1 of the vans i had the pleasure of driving when the wheels came off  :(
still keep getting told were supposed to be getting new vans this year not sure when lol  ;D

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying.

Evil fly

POA Billy

A similar thing happened to one of our drivers wives the other day, she was parked and inside a shop when a Dot com van reversed into her car, 2 people outside came in to tell her but the van had driven off, after some tracking down the van was identified and the reg given by the dot com manager.

They were also told that the driver had stopped got out and looked for damage but couldn't see any, well if his eyesight is that bad [Ken you know who you are] he should not be driving.

Now awaiting reply from Axa [Tesco insurance for Dot com] to see if it is repairable. >:(

Geezer100

We had one in our yard yesterday - driver's foot slipped off brake onto gas pedal and hit pullman's van head on.
Dot com mngr was in store and was called out into yard to sort it all out.

Jaycloth

"Now awaiting reply from Axa [Tesco insurance for Dot com] to see if it is repairable."
Tesco insurance doesn't cover own drivers? Not a good advert for them.

Dot Comma

my assumption is that it stops any fiddling with books. so if an external insurance company is dealing with claims, Tesco can then say that they are doing it properly and not wiping the dust under the carpet as so to speak.

I have been driving for Dot com since June, and i managed to get a van stuck in a field. I got it out after a few choice words and shunting. took just over 5 mins. i was impressed. Since then, one of our other drivers has got his stuck completely and had to get another one of our vans to pull him out. Van needed a wash after, including the footwell of the cab. Naturally, no micky taking was done that much at all *cough*

Our vans, all 54 reg autos, when parked, sit still for a second then roll in the direction of downhill. We had a temp van for a little while (07 reg) and when you take your foot off the break, you go foward. It was quiet amusing when a row of our vans were lined up along the front of the store waiting for our departure time, when the driver of the 07 jumped in, started his van, but never applied any break. he looked up after reading his manifest to see the words "You Shop, We Drop" getting closer. When the 07 left us, it has a lovely inprint of the back of one of our 54 reg's now ingraved into its bonnet! As my van was the one infront of the one that got hit, it was that point i just decided i wanted to deliver to my first customer early!

ali p

Not sure whether still the case or not, tesco vans only used to have third party insurance.

Bigfoot

Wouldn't surprise me if it was TPFF and the "write-off's" are repaired and sent back out.

Nothing illegal, just downright dangerous.

Dot Comma

I reversed into a load of dollys stacked up today. No damage done. not really that interesting but i thought you all may want to point and laugh. What did damage though was my finger while out doing deliveries. I shut it in the door and ripped the skin off my middle finger. After a few choice words infront of the customer and a person riding their push bike past, inspected the damage. nothing broken. its a bit better now! that was 5 hours ago i done that!

ali p

Know one or two drivers that have deliberately reversed into piles of dollies especially when they have been stacked in area shouldn't have been in.  You want to be carefull with your fingers a couple of drivers have had to have stitches in finger from carrying trays up peoplesentries and catching the "chip baskets" as i call them from the gas flues.

Nomad

Quotedrivers have had to have stitches in finger from carrying trays up peoplesentries

That sounds painfull for both parties  :D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Dot Comma

Quote from: nomad on 12-10-08, 08:19PM
Quotedrivers have had to have stitches in finger from carrying trays up peoplesentries

That sounds painfull for both parties  :D

LMAO - Advice taken!  :D

ali p

I hoped that might raise a smile :D

Shana

A colleague of mine was driving a van on delivery when it was hit by a speeding motorist. No sign if even attempted to break just hit them. Ruined the front of the van, buckled all the tray holders and damaged the temperature control for the fridges. Three hour wait for a tow truck! Van was a write-off, both employees were okay.

gomezz

Quote from: Shana on 26-11-08, 08:50PMVan was a write-off, both employees were okay.

Glad to hear they are OK but both?  A new driver undergoing training I guess?

Shana

Yeah, both multi-skillers on overtime, as dot com were shortstaffed. Apparently the driver parked the van facing the wrong way, hence the head-on collision.

Dot Comma

You have Multiskiller drivers??? wow, unheard of in our neck of the woods! only one of our pickers is a driver as well, and he got trained as he does team leadering and gets vans from other places when needed at 6am ready for us drivers when we come in at 9.

Sometimes you do have to face the wrong way down the road. Put it this way, at least it was the van and not you.

allyjohn

This is all too ture about facing sometimes you have no other option.  But Im sure the accident investigation pannel will come back with a "Preventable" verdict.

gomezz

I would have to agree with that verdict if it was dark and they were not showing a red light in the direction of oncoming traffic.  Was it night-time or daylight?

The Mrs

Did you know that Tesco.com is a business champion for the "Driving for Better Business"' campaign?

Tesco.com, which operates 2,000 vans making up to 65,000 deliveries a day to customers nationwide. The fleet has jumped in size by 25% in the past two years, while the crash rate per vehicle has nearly halved. Fleet manager Dino Papas said: "As a result, we are talking about millions of pounds in savings. If the accident trend had continued, then we would have been spending £3.5 million more on van damage than we are today."

The 'Driving for Better Business' campaign is delivered by RoadSafe on behalf of the Department for Transport

http://www.easier.com/view/News/Motoring/article-234739.html

Dot Comma

I bet the black box recorders have something to do with that too!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk