Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:09PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 288
Total: 292

Vans going out with indicators not working

Started by dfl, 17-08-20, 06:14PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfl

Does anyone know the letter if the law on vans going out with an indicator not working, eg inbuilt to mirror type when all the others are working, is it a case of law states that every light on the vehicle if fitted should be working, and if they arent all working what could be the worst consequences for the driver ?
DFL

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

dfl

Asking as vans sometimes getting sent out in my store with indicators on the mirrors not working, and if 1 driver refuses to take it out they arent fixing it they are just sending it out with another willing to take it driver
DFL

choppers dad

Quote from: dfl on 17-08-20, 06:14PM
Does anyone know the letter if the law on vans going out with an indicator not working, eg inbuilt to mirror type when all the others are working, is it a case of law states that every light on the vehicle if fitted should be working, and if they arent all working what could be the worst consequences for the driver ?
we are told any lights out we must defect the van and get it reloaded. If we take it out we will get a disciplinary

Nomad

dfl, repeater indicators are a legal requirement, if they do not work neither does the van.

Ask a policeman  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

dfl

So @ nomad, basically my store completely ignoring the law and drivers just listening to efm when they say its ok to drive, i know im not going to take any such van out.
DFL

uklions

No chance! NOT there license at risk

Nomad

Any decent company that operates vans would have, under lock & key, the relevant tools & a stock of the various bulbs that may be required, and ensure that there is a person on shift trained, to company satisfaction, in the replacement of bulbs.

To have a van off road, as it should be, for a bulb is unnecessary and stupid. 
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Yorkshire Scamp

Drivers complete van checks first thing every morning, broken indicators would be reported & the van wouldn't go out.

lucgeo

So the response to a manager insisting you take the van out..."no, I am refusing your unreasonable request!"
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

johnven

Basicly if it would not pass an mot test it doesn't go out. If your manager insists ask for it in writing, then go to his manager and report him.

Nomad

dfl, I think you have your answer.  As implied drivers, in fact everybody, must stand up to bullies.  Just do it in a calm and professional manner, with witnesses if possible.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

dfl

Quote from: Nomad on 18-08-20, 10:32AM
Any decent company that operates vans would have, under lock & key, the relevant tools & a stock of the various bulbs that may be required, and ensure that there is a person on shift trained, to company satisfaction, in the replacement of bulbs.

To have a van off road, as it should be, for a bulb is unnecessary and stupid. 

Its not a faulty bulb, the indicator on the wing mirror is faulty, maintenance company looked at it after it was fault logged and proclaimed that they havent got the parts for it and that "it can go out", I've refused to drive it, other drivers have continued to use it for about a week now
DFL

Welshie

Surely if the side repeated are working then it would be deemed road worthy and indicators on wing mirrors are not a requirement by law . I have a brake light at top of back window but it's not law for it to be working as long as brake lights work ?

NightAndDay

Even if it's all legal, it's not exactly going to send a good message to the CDC drivers, it will reiterate the notion of the company caring more about profits than people, scraping the bottom of the legal barrel, especially when it comes to the safety and potential risks faced by colleagues using the faulty equipment won't result in an enthused workforce.

dfl

Quote from: Welshie on 18-08-20, 05:23PM
Surely if the side repeated are working then it would be deemed road worthy and indicators on wing mirrors are not a requirement by law . I have a brake light at top of back window but it's not law for it to be working as long as brake lights work ?

The very essence of the 1st post was to ask of that is legal or not, as im not 100 percent sure but thought that any lights fitted to a vehicle had to be working for it to be legal. Also thought maybe the first few posts pointed to the legislation which was saying it was a legal requirement, anyone care to correct me ?
DFL

Nomad

https://www.motester.co.uk/mot-test-of-lights/

Scroll to "Direction indicators and hazard warning lamps"

To my memory if it was fitted it had to work, but in the case of repeaters they are a legal requirement and must work.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Cazlewcazlew

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but it’s only way I see to communicate by using the quote function. My question is how do I start a thread or reply to one as when I view the forums there is no option I can see.

[mod]Ref: starting new topic. Please read VLH Supporter Benefits[/mod]

notsofunny

To start a Thread you need to be a paid member , go to home page , To reply to a post Just do what you just did , But make sure your reply is to the Topic being discussed only ,,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk