News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:57PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 276
Total: 279

Holiday

Started by Bluemoon, 13-01-20, 05:34PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammy

So handed in my holiday sheet today, was told straight away I’m not allowed Saturday 26th December off as tesco are moving the bank holiday is this correct?

penguin

Quote from: lucgeo on 23-02-20, 11:23PM
I think this may be the new black come Christmas...trade was seriously down, the footfall wasn't there. A lot of public opinion was against stores opening Boxing Day and New Year's Day just gone, a shifting trend towards keeping it special for family time, certain firms were proudly advertising the fact that they would be closed to enable their staff a decent break, and their sales would be the traditional January sales commencing January 2nd.

The emphasis is now on mental health and wellbeing, the trend appears to be moving into the old traditional festivities. Christmas markets, fresh produce, not large pre packed, from God knows where meat, fruit and veg, and a shed load of nostalgia thrown in for good measure.

No way Tesco will shut all the stores on Boxing or New Years day, seen a post on the offical Tesco instagram a couple of years back about Christmas opening hours, a customer had commented why not shut Boxing day and New years day give the staff a break, Tesco replied back that the staff want to be in work on said days to ensure we are open and do not disappoint anyone who might run out anything over Christmas and New year.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

lucgeo

My local store was closed both Boxing Day and New Year's Day, if they don't have the volunteer staff, they can't open!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

Sammy, are you days or nights? Is Saturday your contracted day? I know nights have an agreement every year for an option of nights working, but not days. Check with your rep, or the union to see if it is in fact correct, and agreed? Sometimes a Saturday B/H is moved to accommodate office workers, making the following Monday a B/H instead.

sammy

I work on days and in store, yes Saturday is my contracted shift now being told I’m not allowed it off.

Morris999

Your manager is talking s***
There has been no official communication that Tesco is moving Boxing Day from the Saturday to the Monday!
There was a communication sent to wages about automatically booking Christmas,Boxing and New Years Day in Hram last year for all colleagues to ensure scheduler/Bank holidays entitlement are accurate.

Rad

Boxing day is not moving from Saturday to Monday this year in Tesco.

Other non retail companies may move it.

In 2021 It will move from Sunday to Monday.

Paupers wage

Although Tesco keeping quiet Monday December 28th is an additional bank holiday this year as it’s over their 8 allowance I assume colleagues can take it as a days holiday, personal day or as unpaid day off if they wish.

Stitch

Quote from: Rad on 24-02-20, 07:40PM
Boxing day is not moving from Saturday to Monday this year in Tesco.

Other non retail companies may move it.

In 2021 It will move from Sunday to Monday.

So when it comes to next year would I be able to book the 26th off? As I view that as boxing day......

Rad

Yes, what normally happens is all sunday contracted colleagues on the Sunday 26th have the option of BH, H, Unpaid etc

Redshoes

Wages system has automatically booked the Christmas and New Year holidays off for the people who are contracted to work them.
Since a certain date if shifts for a bank holiday can't be filled you are expected to work but the big however is that this does not include Christmas and new year bank holiday.
My store is not planning for the bh to be moved. This is not the first time Christmas has fallen at a weekend and this is not the first time people have thought that the Boxing Day holiday will be moved because of the day of the week it falls on. So far it never has.
The night team decide how they take the bank holiday, it should be a vote but some stores are just told.

Rad

This year it wont be moved, next year it will.

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: sammy on 24-02-20, 03:45PM
So handed in my holiday sheet today, was told straight away I’m not allowed Saturday 26th December off as tesco are moving the bank holiday is this correct?

so just to quote - " If you joined on or after 26th January 2009 and there are
insufficient volunteers to work on a bank holiday, you may
be required to work on up to five bank holidays (excluding
Internal, Holiday, Version 3.2, Page 8 of 10 â€" February 2020
Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day) if you
are normally scheduled to work on the day the bank holiday
falls. "

So can't be flat out refused, has to be given an option with it of how you wanna do it, either holiday, unpaid, work a different day.

Also in response to the night thing - that barely happens... Never happened with our store, staff supposed to vote on it, managers always say "you guys picked this" it's like Nope, no one voted... so we just take it or work a bit extra then sick call it lol.

lucgeo

Read your contract, it clearly states words to the effect that no colleague( regardless of status/ contract) can be made to work Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.

oldfashionedplayer

It depends, it does say unless stated in contract, (distribution don't really get the choice) but otherwise for stores its mainly managers and higher for forcibly working boxing day...may be the odd change but for the most part you are correct.

Mickymouse1962

Union in discussions about what happens when you get back o your 2 week holiday abroad and have to have 2 weeks isolation

Hammer10

They should have to take it unpaid or change their plans I know many who have cancelled their hols .

arlo

But if holidays has been payed for and flights and hotel open for business you cant cancel it without being financially out of pocket ?

Hammer10

Might be the case but is it fair on your colleagues you have extra time off unless it is taken as holiday which will help later in the year when no holidays will be taken.

arlo

The government make the rules ,they are the one stating the 14 day quarantine, not my choice, prehaps they should pick up the cost

Redshoes

When the government pick up the cost we pay for it via tax. I don't want to pay extra tax to fund people taking two weeks off after a holiday.

lucgeo

The travel companies will likely tell people to claim off their insurance if they can't go on holiday due to being unable to take a further two weeks isolation away from work.

arlo

StandardHoliday insurances will not pay out on pandemics

NightAndDay

For me, (monday-friday 9-5.30pm office drone)  Monday 28th December is the substitute bank holiday for boxing day and I get it off, Tesco is different because they're a 24/7 business with every day being a work day and Saturday and Sunday not being sacred, the 26th will still be boxing day and you should receive the premiums if you work it but you will not have it paid if you choose to have it off as non-holiday.

Monday 28th December is the substitute bank holiday for boxing day, so you will also receive the bank holiday premiums for that if you work it or have it taken off as a paid bank holiday if you decide to have it off, however, I think the rule about not having to work on Boxing day, New years day or xmas day is if the work day falls on those days specifically, not on a substitute bank holiday, so you would have to come in if contracted or if they don't have the resources.

The bank holiday allocations should be at least 8 pro rata'd (8 main bank holidays in a year not including specific Scottish, Welsh, Irish or English ones celebrated in those regions only) bank holidays can't fall on a Saturday or a Sunday hence the substitution.

grim up north

I've noticed a lot of 'I want extra time off and I want paying for it' across many platforms

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk