News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:48PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,123
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Dot Com Accidents

Started by I.AM_a driver, 22-12-06, 07:49PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I.AM_a driver

Guy from our store rolled a van into a field late at night earlier this year, there was no evidence of him breaking the law and he had no recollection of what happened from 6 hours before to 12 hours after waking up in hospital. He was not disciplined, but was off work for 3 months.

Van arrived back to store on back of a lorry at 3am, was sent to Pullmans yard in Bathgate by our night manager who wouldn't let the lorry in the yard (it was leaking diesel, oil and refrigerant). Reckon they spent about 15k rebuilding the entire front end and shutter side of the van. Aircon still works though!

Anyone else heard of interesting or unusual incidents involving our delivery vans?

you shop, I drop

iworktoohard

dot comedy drivers are (on the whole) nutters. they think they are invincible.

you're on the far side of the yard, an artic is reversing into the loading bay to your right, the gate is on the other side of the artic, lets dive behind the artic. as he can see around corners and go for the gate. if there was no backdoorman there, there would be a squashed dotcom van against the compactor.

as for accidents on the road.. none that i know of.

jester

Quite a while back now, I kew of a dot comedy driver who left the store with his shutters open, load exposed. He turned a corner and his load flew out onto the road. One of the drivers demonstrated to me that he could change gear without using the clutch, which made me worry about the safety of these vans.

I am not a number! I am a free man!

I.AM_a driver

Yeah, someone (who has now left) did that in full view of a bigyin from head office, then denied it was him. He wasn't dismissed for that reason, but the only time i've had to drive with the shutter open it was jammed open and had the load tied in with red straps and a jump lead. Just as an experiment I tried to lose the load when i got back into the yard-no such luck. I'm not dot comedy enough obviously.

I can change gear without using the clutch or moving my foot from flat to the floor on the accelerator. OK so the van is a sequential automatic and doesn't have a manual clutch, so its not really a big deal.

The vans themselves are safe, its the drivers that can make them lethal/dangerous. This goes for ANY vehicle though, cars vans buses lorries the whole lot.

Sorry anonimity is sacrosanct on here,....no names please.
(my fault, I couldn't remember what his position was, something like stores director but at the end of the day It's not really important who saw they guy, its the fact he put others at risk)

you shop, I drop
I.AM_a driver

spirit

Does seem that dot comedy drivers either are crazy to drive some the offered vehicles in their condition or are hellbent on proving that they can do it. Still a very useful income stream for Terry is dot comedy

jester

And he's laughing all the way to the bank...

Geezer100

One of our Dot COmedy Drivers had a tree 'jump' out in front of him, and wrapped the van around it.
Happened on they day we got new vans.... for lowest accident damage in group!

jester

Was it an old van or a new one?

hotlips

hope it wasn't the one who delivers my shopping. Mental note to self - make sure my car is not about when dot com delivers in future  ;D ;D :D

It ain't that COLD!!!!!!!

jester

Me and the wife shop with Iceland, and we get our shopping delivered to our home through them. Just spend £25 or more and then pick a day and time, and it turns up! Just a shame that Kerry Katona advertises it.

stardust

quote:
Originally posted by shopfloor_jester

Me and the wife shop with Iceland, and we get our shopping delivered to our home through them. Just spend £25 or more and then pick a day and time, and it turns up! Just a shame that Kerry Katona advertises it.

But then she gets photographed carrying.......... yep tescos carrier bags. ;D

grab each opportunity with both hands for it may never come around again!

Geezer100

It was an old van.
Also seen the damage done when one of the new vans fridge ddor wasn't shut properly. It gradually worked it's way open, and then hit a hard imovable object (namley a sign) and took the door off.

Snowy

We had one recently, but i can't go to any details yet.

We had one several years ago. I hear there was a picture of it posted on this site.

Through rage i ROAR!!!!

jb66

we have an underground carpark and one of the dot com vans ripped off its fridge....

jester

How did it manage to do that?

jb66

to get out of the store you need to go down first then back up a ramp, you can do this if you keep to the left as you miss the overhang, no one told the manager

I.AM_a driver

This was before you got those new vans down at Edinburgh 1 was it? I once got sent round the front entrance to take my (Colinton) van into the car park by your trading manager, he had 'forgotten' about the height restriction bar. I had to turn and drive back out the one-way entrance.

Colleague of mine tried to take a van into a courtyard off Dalry Rd (near Somerfield) and nearly took the refridgeration unit off, the box body wouldn't even fit through. All he got was a verbal warning.

you shop, I drop
I.AM_a driver

I.AM_a driver

One of my (multi-skilled) colleagues decided to drive into a wall with a van on Sunday night, needless to say the van lost the argument, and is now minus part of the front bumper and 3 gallons of coolant from the radiator. Chassis appeared dis-figured in the dark, so it will be deemed roadworthy by our cowboy-outfit garage and be back on the roads by next week. Photo should be available in link below. http://file026a.bebo.com/4/large/2007/01/21/23/7619691a3300653233b656634387l.jpg.

you shop, I drop
I.AM_a driver

CJO

jb66

quote:
Originally posted by I.AM_a driver

This was before you got those new vans down at Edinburgh 1 was it? I once got sent round the front entrance to take my (Colinton) van into the car park by your trading manager, he had 'forgotten' about the height restriction bar. I had to turn and drive back out the one-way entrance.

Colleague of mine tried to take a van into a courtyard off Dalry Rd (near Somerfield) and nearly took the refridgeration unit off, the box body wouldn't even fit through. All he got was a verbal warning.

you shop, I drop
I.AM_a driver

Yeah thats us lol, occasionally you see them going down the ramp, but not very oten, think they had a ticking off!

Geezer100

CJO - I see that they give you the shed's on wheels then.
My store currently has one while they service the vans in turn.
Driver's seem to be picking straws as to who will take it out.

I.AM_a driver

Actually Geezer I think CJO just took a photo, unlike me he's not lucky enough to drive it! The van in the photo was actually borrowed from another store (Dalkeith), funny they didn't seem to want it back.....

We borrowed another similar van (SCX) a few weeks ago, but when I took it out the refrigeration didn't work and the chiller was missing 3 rails, so i put it straight off the road when i got back, carrier transcold came and took it away to fix it. Thats the last I saw of it.

you shop, I drop
I.AM_a driver

jb66

actually we got 4 new vans but the 4 old ones are still here too, very handy if one breaks down!

Bigfoot

Tesco to bring dot comedy maintenance in house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg4OkjFpOks    ;D

"Full load of banana MU's?"

iworktoohard

quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot

Tesco to bring dot comedy maintenance in house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg4OkjFpOks    ;D

"Full load of banana MU's?"

oh dear.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk