Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

08-05-24, 06:56PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,903
  • Latest: imprint
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,483
  • Total Topics: 644
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Sunday premium down to time and a quarter.

Started by Undercover1, 26-05-18, 12:21PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billandben

"Every colleague will benefit from higher hourly rates of pay after the 10.5% pay increase. A small number of colleagues who saw a reduction to their premiums may see a net reduction in take-home pay based on their individual work pattern. Colleagues affected by this will receive communication from the end of June and will receive a one-off payment as part of the wider package of changes to pay and premiums." This is our Team5, Whare is our payment

barafear

billandben>

Yes this is the general team 5 message - however, it appears you may be "reading it" as you "want" to read it.
Here's the important part:

Every colleague will benefit from higher hourly rates of pay after the 10.5% pay increase

This is factually correct - after all even Sunday hours are strictly classed as being "hourly rate plus premium" (rather than the simplistic view of "I'm working for £12 an hour" (or whatever the exact figure is). Most employees in every industry would talk about their Sunday pay as ....£xxx per hour.....rather than I get my normal rate of pay and then a premium of xx%.

Reading on.....

"A small number of colleagues ...may see a net reduction in take-home pay"

In % terms, this means that overall their total weekly/monthly pay will be "lower". In Tesco's eyes, by "lower" they mean lower than the period before November 2017. By lower, this means their % increase will be a negative figure.

Any employee who works Mon-Sat and never works a Sunday/BH will eventually see their "weekly pay" be higher (by around 10.5%) when compared to their weekly pay back in Oct 2017. This will "eventually" happen after Nov 2018....so will not be seen until the payday towards the end of Nov (I believe). Or is it even Dec payslip?

So that's two class of employees......

Those getting 10.5% and those getting "Less than 0%".

The remainder (anyone who works a Sunday or BH) will get somewhere between 0.01% and 10.49%.......

If you fall in this category, you will not get a cushion payment.......and you will also not feel the full benefit of an eventual 10.5% payrise (most of which Tesco would legally be bound to give you, based on the NLW)

That's pretty much the summary of it!!

lucgeo

Quote from: GreenGrocer on 23-07-18, 12:09PM
Done the WMTY based on full year opposed to last few weeks when managers have actually been supporting the team, not wasting time and had the place well staffed. It can be done. Not interested in them putting on a show for 5 mins when the managers have been c**ks, wages are hardly rising and the store has been a mess for the best part of the year. It'll be interesting to see the new format stores run on just an sm and a assistant manager in immingham etc. Stores as big as your largest extra too.

Am unable to get on the link I've been given, says survey closed....do you have a link I can go on  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Shafted

Quote from: carlh on 23-07-18, 05:10AM
I'm sure usdaw are french,they surrender at the earliest opportunity.  :P
I can't believe that anyone is still in the union let alone continue to be surprised when they shaft us all yet again. Cancelled my membership a long time ago and kept the money in my pocket.

barafear

Nomad

The article in your post linked to this, which I thought interesting to say the least.

https://www.hrzone.com/engage/managers/news-boots-move-to-slash-sunday-pay-unlawful-rules-tribunal

QuoteBut the tribunal upheld the workers' claim after a three day hearing in Nottingham, where the retailer is based. The ruling means that it could now be liable for either compensation or a backdated bill that could run into many thousands of pounds.

Three test cases were brought against Boots by the Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers, the Pharmacists' Defence Association and Patricia Onuorah, who worked for Boots and represented herself.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

lackofinterest

only newsagents open till 11.00 sunday. nowt wrong with that till greed took over >:(. now employers are allowed to take the p**s >:(

lackofinterest

we all managed to shop perfectly well monday to saturday. why the change? greed and nothing else!! >:(

billandben

Opening Hrs for the Stornoway store - 0600 - 0000 Mon. til Fri. 0600 - 2200 Sat. Closed on Sunday so no staff work on the Sunday (-*-)

Nomad

Back to topic, or is it exhausted ?
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Loki

Can't remember who it was on here, but they posted a response from Tesco (colleague room I think it was) regarding the 5 month decrease etc.

And yet... STILL no response from Usdaw! Not to reps, members or anyone!
When all else fails, madness is the emergency exit.

Duracell

Interesting that the link above to the boots case, was upheld even though the initiative and the premium reduction was supported by over 90% of Staff, it says. Yet a T claim about Pay wasn't upheld where there was not such clarity of support. Also it was upheld 2012/13 yet they have not addressed the disparity.

My Opinion is exactly that, Mine.  Based on my view of what I know , see and what I would do.
"Being a rep doesn't make a person right anymore than not being a rep makes a person wrong " 

Duracell.

Pedroximenez

The Boots case is interesting. When double time was reduced to time and a half two years ago we were fairly 'bought out' of our contract. There was clarity, the maths was easy to understand and very importantly we signed for it and in doing so agreed to it. So when the current two year pay deal was first brought to our attention in a glossy hand out last year with the words 'transition payment ' I would imagine you all thought as I did that the same fair method would be used again. I am one of the 3% and the words used on the June 18 booklet are 'one off payment' the amount i am to recieve is stated yet although there are examples of calculations ( a colleague affected/ a colleague not affected) there is no calculation personal to me and that surely should be included? Also I have not been asked to sign. To conclude this time we are not being 'bought out'. Had this have happened I would have received 6 times the amount of my cushion payment.

kadet1986

Just wanted to share with everyone my calculations.
Bear in mind effective pay rise is for 2 years. So half of it for each year.
and that  "The Consumer Prices Index (CPI) 12-month rate was 2.4% in June 2018"
So effectively last 10.5% pay rise did not cover the inflation rate for any Tesco employee, regardless of how many hours they do.

[attachment deleted by admin]

TillyTuttles

Hi there.  I'm new to this site and just had a query re the time & quarter Sunday issue.  I work 7 hours on a Sunday so by my calculations I'm going to be approx £14/week worse off. I've been on my current shifts since Apr 2017 and previously worked nights.  I've worked for Tesco for 3 years in total. Am I missing something?  I think this move will have a 'negative' impact but have not received any letter so am guessing I'm not going to receive any lump sum payment! Can anyone explain why? Thanks

Pedroximenez

Replying to the above post; with the two year pay deal we had a pay rise of 40p an hour in Nov 17. In July ( now) we have had another pay rise of 16p an hour making a total so far of 56p however Simultaneiuly with the second pay increase Sunday premium has been halved and on my calculations that is a loss of £1.81 each Sunday hour worked. Until November's third rise we Sunday workers will all be adversely affected however once that final pay increase has been implamented the majority will break even or be better off and only if you do not break even or are not better off at that Nov 18 point do you qualify for a cushion payment. It is important to point out that because of the reduction Sunday workers will not on paper enjoy the same pay increase as their non Sunday working colleagues and that seems very unfair and unjust.

JL

The Sunday workers don't work half as hard as those in others days anyway.

Blodwyn

I work Sundays and it is the hardest day of the week with a minimum of staff compared to week days. Although we only trade for six hours there is a lot of work done before 10 am and after 4pm, eg power aisle changes and re merching.

his scots tie

We have given up our sunday premium for very little.16p per hour this time 1.1% in 2016.Thats about .25p per hour.So we would be on £8.17 in november ,min wage will be more than that in April next year.Excellent negotiating skills by usdaw,who are supposed to have members best interest at heart.Another reason to kick usdaw into touch.

cityboy

On the subject of this post, I don't think I can work out percentages, but, I have looked back at wage slips for the last few years to tell a story. 2014, 4 nights, including Saturday and Sunday, I was getting approximately £1150. After we lost double-time, about £1070, but did that include a pay-rise? When the new pension thing came in I upped my contributions to make Tesco contribute more, my decision, so now £1030. With our latest confusing 2 year pay-rise, I have just kept my head over the £1000 per 4 weeks that my household can just about live on. That £1000 does not allow for the last 4/5 years inflation. I fear that the next few months my wage will be below the minimum I have in my head, and while no-one in my family will starve, I have less to treat my grandchildren(2 more since 2014), than I used to. Also, I see this as a hidden pay-cut, 2 of us are now expected to complete the work that 3 used to do, when 1 guy left, never replaced. Moral never so low!

Totot

Dont forget about the tax, personal allowance will increase every year even last year it was only increase by 350, and less by percentage, who knows next year after gov decided to increase some pay, they might tright to increase some taxes including decreasing of tax allowance.

Back in the topic, so even if you earn the same, you will have increase payment every new tax year, but again dont forget we will have extra tax next year cuz tesco dont bother to move the payment this year to make it 13 times or devided into 14 times if i understand it correctly.
So hope tax code will be at least 1225 or 1250 even.

Regarding inflation, dont base your calculation of gov calculation inflation, it is just generic in general to calculate the value of product and service that in the end will be use to calculated how much extra money they need to print.

Real inflation we have i reckon is much bigger than that. Groceries alone can be up to 20% the last 2 years so if this cost your budget around 40%,you will have 8% increase from your expenditure, not mention monthly bill and other purchase that regular enough, plus increase either from price or volume that market strategy created so it seems cheap but you use more.

So if it start affecting too much, other way would be change of shopping and buying stuff, find some replacement brand or product even.
Usually within few month before winter, some prices will going up again, and plus our pay cut, heading towards christmas will be harder this year. Not try to scared anyone but just want to share my view about all of this.

forrestgimp

Quote from: Loki on 23-07-18, 11:15PM

And yet... STILL no response from Usdaw! Not to reps, members or anyone!

I emailed them sunday asking the question and as yet have had no reply. I used the official ask a question portal on the union website as well.

The next question will be why i have been ignored then I will be leaving the union all together.

hot_chick

I've been in touch with an usdaw rep and have not had a response myself!!

Its shocking to me how may sunday staff don't even realise they are lossing pay between now and november!!

Looking at the new contract to old contract i was right in my calculation of being down £35!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk