News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 04:22PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 318
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 313
Total: 317

Xmas bank holiday

Started by Noyouwont, 09-10-20, 10:03AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raindrop85

Along the same line......If the policy is that we don’t have to work Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day then for night workers it’s usuallly the night before I.e Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, I never used to have to book this on a holiday form, until Last year, so this year when booking all of my holidays I included them three days, only the thing now is that I have been told by a (dishonest) manager is that I can’t have those days as there are “already too many people off”  yet company policy as well as our contracts state different.... is it me or do some managers like to try and manipulate company policy for their own benefit or their “favourites”. Needless to say I won’t be attending those shifts as I have not for the last few years I have been working for the company. I have made that clear to the other managers.

VladPutin

Quote from: grim up north on 21-11-20, 04:22PM
Not really Vlad. You'll be expected to have a test if you have symptoms. They aren't as hard to get either as the media like to play out

True, but you can't be disciplined for taking the time off while waiting for the test results. Bloke I know was off nearly a week. Test came back negative but management couldn't touch him. ;)

trotter

So I have worked 8 night shifts now as a temp and curious as to why there is a night shift Xmas Day night if the store has been closed that day. Surely the shelves/store etc will be as they were when the Xmas Eve shift had finished at 7.00am on Xmas Day morning. Could anybody please advise?

Cinderella

In my store, there are people in on Christmas Day filling. There is never a day the store is completely empty of staff! Usually it depends on your role, for instance checkout staff aren’t needed on Christmas Day, so they have a day of their holiday entitlement used. Staff filling the shelves may still have shifts, if they haven’t requested the day as holiday. I’ve even seen a situation where a checkout staff member insisted they didn’t want Christmas Day as holiday and went in to help with filling, and sorting putbacks and so on.

Others may know more than me, but it’s possible you may have a shift. Talk to your line manager if you’re unsure, or unable to attend.

Welshie

Xmas eve nightshift is usually 5pm -midnight and is mostly focused on ambient fill , xmas night nightshift is 10pm-7am and is mostly fresh fill . It has usually very few staff and its mostly the xmas temps .

BoyBlunder

Hi, I think this is the place to ask this.

I’m a pretty new flexi temp night staff at a larger store, with my one contracted shift being Sunday night 10pm-7am. Am I allowed to refuse to working Boxing Day and New Years Day if they try to force me to as they are Saturday night shifts? I’m completely open to actually working Christmas Eve and Boxing Day in return to have New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day off, but I have a horrible feeling going off of other long-term colleague’s comments that they’re going to try make me work Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. Likewise, am I allowed to refuse to work Christmas Eve or New Year’s Eve shifts since I’m not contracted those days but am a flexi contract?

I haven’t had a meeting about my Christmas rota yet which is worrying, and I would just like to know what I can and can’t do/what I am an am not entitled to going into it, as other colleagues have said that they didn’t know the rules around it and signed confirming their shifts and being told this information afterwards.

Cbatt566

I started temping a month ago on nights in PFS (sat and sun) I told them when I joined I am by no means working Christmas 26th and 27th and 2nd/ 3rd Jan. I don’t need this job I am just doing it for extra cash/savings my night manager just said we will close the PFS for the nights and get whatever holiday I am entitled to... LOL 😂

Nomad

Any temp staff dreaming/hoping of becoming a permanent member of staff consider your responses and attitude to be asked to work very carefully.

I am not saying you should lick their boots to get it though.  I would encourage sticking up for your rights once you are in with a few months work under your belt.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

gomezz

Whenever I am asked to work extra or different shifts I always make it sound as though I am doing them a favour even if it is something which suits me.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

BoyBlunder

Quote from: Nomad on 05-12-20, 11:04AM
Any temp staff dreaming/hoping of becoming a permanent member of staff consider your responses and attitude to be asked to work very carefully.

I am not saying you should lick their boots to get it though.  I would encourage sticking up for your rights once you are in with a few months work under your belt.

I really am not bothered about staying in this role, to be fair. I transferred stores and the management here make it unbearable to the point that the employee turn over is crazy high. I’d just rather stick up for my rights and if that’s why I’m not kept on then so be it. However, I’ve been informed by a shift leader that they have personally made it so I’m extremely likely to be kept on as they want me to be trained in PI as I have some previous experience from my past job, and it seems they don’t want to upset that shift leader as they seem to be essential to the night shifts as they’re the only one that truly knows how to do certain tasks.

Saying that, as a flexi temp, am I allowed to refuse to work Boxing Day and New Year’s Day if they aren’t my contracted shifts, or alternatively Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve since they still aren’t Sunday’s this year?

Nomad

Most companies run on 'old flannel', all I say is play their game to suit you.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Welshie

Boy blunder , you have the rite to refuse any shift and that's fine if you're not bothered about being kept on . For others that do want to be kept on , I would suggest you decide which nights you would like off to spend with your family and negotiate, if you have young kids it might be important to have xmas eve at home , so tell them you'll work boxing night and new years eve etc . 
Many of our xmas temps last year finished on xmas eve , I think it will be different this year because of covid but being made permanent is not a sure thing .

NightAndDay

Does working christmas day pay more than time and a quarter, I know Sainsburys pays triple time for working on christmas day, if they don't then I can't see why anyone would choose to work it  (the contract says christmas day is one of those days people can't be forced to work.)

Newbie20

Boxing day falls on a Saturday which is my normal working day, I haven't booked it as a holiday and have chosen to work it. Does this mean I should request overtime on the new work & pay system and should I get another day back as holiday? Thanks.

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: NightAndDay on 06-12-20, 11:56AM
Does working christmas day pay more than time and a quarter, I know Sainsburys pays triple time for working on christmas day, if they don't then I can't see why anyone would choose to work it  (the contract says christmas day is one of those days people can't be forced to work.)

Time and quarter for tesco, used to be time and half / double time for the long servers, so just not worth it to be honest

Cairney39

Newbie20 your holiday entitlement as a hourly paid colleague on work and pay is now in hours. If you have volunteered to work Boxing Day, then you will only use some of your entitlement if you have volunteered to work less than your contracted hours. If you work the same, or more, hours than your Saturday contract, then you will use zero of your holiday entitlement. You won’t “get a day back” as you put it, but you will be able to use your holiday entitlement elsewhere depending on what you have left.

Newbie20

Thank you Cairney, that was helpful  :thumbup:

manbearpig

Are Tesco counting Saturday 26th as a bank holiday or the Monday 28th as a bank holiday? Or both?

whatajoke2019

My understanding is that T are treating Saturday as Bank Holiday and the Monday (in lieu) is just a 'normal' day.

dfl

surely if the uk boxing day saturday is no substituted to saturday (this can be found to be the case on many websites with a quick google) then surely if you want it off your off regardless of booking it or not, I personally never got any holiday meeting with a manager to discuss these this year and may have used all my entitlement (however Saturday is NOT a normal shift for me anyway, im monday to friday contracted non flexi), and according to my google search Saturday Boxing day bank holiday is now Monday following as a substitute
DFL

dfl

Correcting my own post, first sentence should read "saturday is now substituted to monday"
DFL

Cairney39

I’m sorry you never had a holiday meeting with your manager, however this does not change the fact that the observed “Volunteers only” day shift  Bank Holiday for Tesco workers in stores are Fri 25th and Sat 26th, then Fri 1st and Sat 2nd (Scotland only)
If you are contracted to work in stores Mon-Fri then this week you will be expected to work from Mon 28th until Thursday 31st, taking Friday 1st off unless you have volunteered to work.

Welshie

Dfl , Tesco choose the bank holidays as they're open 7 days a week , its banks , solicitors etc that will take the Monday.   All holidays have to be booked even if it's a bank holiday you still have to book it if you want it .

dfl

Quote from: Welshie on 27-12-20, 01:55PM
Dfl , Tesco choose the bank holidays as they're open 7 days a week , its banks , solicitors etc that will take the Monday.   All holidays have to be booked even if it's a bank holiday you still have to book it if you want it .

Would that not infer that if i booked tried to book the national bank holiday (the monday substitute) they could have refused it and said "no our bank holiday this year is the saturday) even tho i dont work saturdays
DFL

Rad

If you wanted the Monday off its just treated like a normal holiday request, as its not a bank holiday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk