Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:35PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 297
Total: 300

Been told I will be off 2 weeks unpaid!?

Started by Chambers21, 06-04-20, 09:20AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chambers21

I live with my parents, have been self isolating for two weeks because my Mum was ill. Get back to work today, halfway through, I get a phone call saying my Dad is now ill and has a high temp. Spoke to my store manager, she said because i've already been off once, I will have to have 2 weeks unpaid this time. Is this correct? If so, i'm pretty screwed money-wise. Also, she has told me to stay until the end of my shift and put me on Dot Com picking...

chris9997

Latest update 30th march on our tesco page 11 states There may be an occation where a staff member would need to isolate more than once this is classed as paid absence , so yes your manager needs to follow the company rules and not put everyone at risk !

chris9997

also if there is a risk you may have got it from your dad you should be sent home ( not only a risk to staff but a risk to home shopping customers.

Chambers21

Quote from: chris9997 on 06-04-20, 09:41AM
Latest update 30th march on our tesco page 11

Where are you reading this? Can't see it on the website.

I totally agree i should be going home, but if I am going unpaid for two weeks, then I need as much money as possible.

chris9997

hi yes i should of explained its not easy to find but here goes go to our tesco latest update 2nd april about half way down the page a link for collegue help you will need the log in which you should have by now of  firstname.surname@tesco.com your password to get past this bit then go to the 30th march update.

Chambers21

Well i've just been told that if it's someone else having symptoms in your household after the 14 day isolation period then you are OK to work unless you start showing symptoms. They showed me this on paper and it is apparently Tesco policy. Seems dodgy for customers but at least I will be getting paid.

chris9997

if you have seen a letter thats fair enough but i dont see how this is right you could take the original 14 days because someone in your house may have it in the 14 days you may not catch it but after the secound person may havev it you could then catch it,giving it to staff and customers, so you would think the 14 days would restart?

Chambers21

You would think so. But apparently not  ???. Hopefully I don't pass it on to any elderly or vulnerable customers/staff.

dfl

Has anyone got a link or better still a screenshot of Tesco policy on paid absence, as I thought it was 7 days if you get ill with it, and then sick time (possible disciplinary upon return as coded sick) yet look at what's happened to Boris Johnston, nearly 2 weeks that Boris has had symptoms and has now been taken to ICU due to symptoms getting worse. Surely in cases like this Tesco can't be being fair to tell staff members who take as ill that they only allowed 7 days and then return to work or get coded sick
DFL

lucgeo

Quote from: Chambers21 on 06-04-20, 11:20AM
Well i've just been told that if it's someone else having symptoms in your household after the 14 day isolation period then you are OK to work unless you start showing symptoms. They showed me this on paper and it is apparently Tesco policy. Seems dodgy for customers but at least I will be getting paid.

Print off the link that chris9997, showing the 30th Match update, present it to the manager who showed you their different paper, it could have been an older dated direction that hadn't been updated, which they may not be aware of.
Tell them ( in writing ) that you will be taking your direction from the latest policy printout and ACAS, and a personal sense of duty of care in protecting your colleagues and customers.

STAY AT HOME!! Your health and that of your family is way more important than some Tesco manager instructions.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

blueberet

Quote from: dfl on 07-04-20, 07:28AM
Has anyone got a link or better still a screenshot of Tesco policy on paid absence, as I thought it was 7 days if you get ill with it, and then sick time (possible disciplinary upon return as coded sick) yet look at what's happened to Boris Johnston, nearly 2 weeks that Boris has had symptoms and has now been taken to ICU due to symptoms getting worse. Surely in cases like this Tesco can't be being fair to tell staff members who take as ill that they only allowed 7 days and then return to work or get coded sick
It's all here https://www.ourtesco.com/working-at-tesco/coronavirus-latest-update/help-and-guidance-for-colleagues if you look at the quick guide to self isolation you will see the after 7 days of you having the virus you'll be coded as sick

chris9997

But after the seven days yes you are coded as sick but it also states any time off relating to coved 19 is disregarded and is paid from day 1 .

dfl

The link isn't working for me, won't let me login, even tried changing my password and still says there is a problem with it, so is anyone able to screenshot it if that's allowed on here
DFL

Alnolda

So if the unfortunate happens and you take the corona virus let's say you are in a bad way and have to be off more than 7 days off, you are in for a AR and possibly a warning.

dfl

That's my understanding but some people including pm taking much longer to recover if they even do, surely they may even be still contagious at that point too
DFL

Redshoes

We are still learning about how this effects different people. If you live with others you need to take the 7 days. If things don't change within the 7 days you are ok to come back to work. If the effected person gets worse or someone else gets symptoms you need to take the 14 days, all paid. At the end of the 14 days if nobody is showing a temp and symptoms are improving you can come back to work. If symptoms are not improving it is a case by case situation.
My friend who lives alone was off for 14 days, paid. His symptoms were not cleared for him chiming back after 7 but dr cleared him to come back after 14 and symptoms improved but not totally gone. Even though still has cough he was cleared for work as told will have a ough for a long time yet. The main thing is no temp and showing improvement.

Jonathan1970

Government said if after 14 days you still got symptoms stop off work.

The only exception been stated is a small cough thats not persistent but still take caution.

lucgeo

Do you know what...I would tell everyone...if they are honestly having concerns about members of family, are not feeling better after the 7 days...got others in household showing signs...STAY AT HOME! sod what some manager tells you, it is your decision, it is your and your families health that is being risked, all because they want full shelves for customers.
Tell them you'll decide when you're back, and if they want to discipline you, then go for it, but if you don't recover, will it be " no further action?"

Let's get some real perspective here people!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

just curious

Go one better ask the manager to come to your house - risk getting an infection and risk passing it on to there own family and colleagues etc , the manager will soon decline the offer of a home visit and risk of them selves being contaminated . They will soon change there tune when put to them that way ?. :-X :-X

NightAndDay

As far as I'm aware, the situation is binary in its solution, either policy mandates that the OPs current situation warrants 2 weeks off paid and for it not to be processed in the same way as sick pay, or it doesn't. From what I can see policy is in favour of the OP, not the renegade manager trying to become a big cheese at Tesco.

Cinderella

Quote from: chris9997 on 06-04-20, 09:41AM
Latest update 30th march on our tesco page 11 states There may be an occation where a staff member would need to isolate more than once this is classed as paid absence , so yes your manager needs to follow the company rules and not put everyone at risk !

Do you have a link of screen shot of this? As I was required to self isolate twice, and also wasn’t paid for the second instance

Redshoes

All will depend on dates. If you were off prior to the update the policy as it was at that time was followed.

Welshie

I thought all Tesco staff and family they live with could be tested now . Surely if tested you wouldn't need to self isolate if negative and should be no argument over paying you if positive.

grim up north

Cinderella

Quote from: Welshie on 31-05-20, 06:26PM
I thought all Tesco staff and family they live with could be tested now . Surely if tested you wouldn't need to self isolate if negative and should be no argument over paying you if positive.

If you don’t drive, and therefore can’t get to a testing centre, you have to wait for a test to be sent to you. In the meantime, you have to self isolate. If you can get tested, you have to get an appointment slot, which also may not be on the same day. So again, you would be required to self isolate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk