News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 01:50AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 311
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 283
Total: 283

Availability

Started by MistPand, 04-09-20, 11:26AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MistPand

Hi! I've literally just found this forum and hoped you could help me with something!

So my new manager has started doing availability meetings with everyone (checkouts) and according to everyone she has been forcing everyone to extend their flexibility, even if they didn't want to.
One colleague for instance, has been made to extend her flexibility from 9am-2pm (she has 2 pre-teen kids) to 9am-9pm! Said colleague came out of the meeting in tears (with good reason). Another colleague got told that she had to be flexible on a certain day, even thought that is the day she babysits her granddaughter for her daughter, because in my managers words "that's not important".
She also told another colleague that they either find ways to become more flexible or move departments.

I'm due to have my meeting tomorrow and I'm dreading it.
My boyfriends is still currently working from home, and as such they've changed his hours. So because our 2 young kids have been off nursery, I've been having to turn down overtime. I do understand that I'm breaking my flexi-contract by doing so, but this is beyond my control and she's been less than accommodating. She hasn't spoke to me once about it, every time, she's sent over a Team Leader to come and tell me instead.
So my current contracted hours are Tuesday morning and Saturday 12-6. My current flexibility is 2 mornings a week, as that is when my children are at nursery, and a few extra hours on the Saturday. But taking my boyfriends current hours into consideration I could probably be flexible Wednesday, Thursday and Friday for 4 hours an evening. But I doubt this will be forever, maybe another few months maximum.

Sorry for all the waffling, I just wanted to get all the information in there.
My question is, is my manager allowed to force us to be flexible on days we really don't want to be or on days we really can't be? Like could she threaten me with the sack as I'm only flexible 10 hours a week due to only being able to afford for my youngest child to be at nursery 3 mornings a week?
My old manager had no problem with any of this, she even cut my 22 hour contract to a 10.25 after having my 2nd child as they were the only hours she could offer me. I thought Tesco was all about being family-friendly and looking after working parents?

Siwel123

When filling out your availability sheet, you put when you can reasonably work and that's it. Your manager can't force you to say you're available to work days and hours you're not. What I recommend is that you put what you would like to be flexed up to and that's it. If you know you don't want to do evenings, don't say you can do them. At the end of the day it doesn't take long for you to ask to change your availability if you want to add them in at a later date.

If I was the workers that have been forced to fill out the availability sheet under pressure and force from a manager, I would be raising a grievance and going to the union. Your manager should not be pressuring you or making you leave in tears.

MistPand

Thanks for replying!
I thought so to! As long as I've signed to say that's my availability, what gives her the right to change it?
As far as I'm aware 3 colleagues in the space of 6 months have all called the confidential hotline on her but nothing ever seems to get done about it...

taliahad

Don't be bullied.  These  jobs are not worth the stress that they bring so many of us.  Best of luck and try not to let it worry you. 

Siwel123

Yep, you put when you're available on your availability sheet, don't be forced to change your life just so they can flex you up for 4 hours extra because it suits them.

If the confidential line isn't working please go to the uni, they get a bad rep from some people but they can genuinely help you if you've a good rep that's willing to challenge things. You've got a clear case of people being pressured by a manager here

grim up north

What is T* policy on babysitting grandchildren, out of interest?

Nomad

Asked for a copy of your availability sheet.

:question: is manager also required to sign/date employees availability sheet ? (if not they should be)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

elleywelley

Quote from: grim up north on 04-09-20, 03:16PM
What is T* policy on babysitting grandchildren, out of interest?

It's not really any of their business as to why you aren't available if it's not your contractual hours anyway is it? :)

lucgeo

Quote from: MistPand on 04-09-20, 11:26AM
Hi! I've literally just found this forum and hoped you could help me with something!

So my new manager has started doing availability meetings with everyone (checkouts) and according to everyone she has been forcing everyone to extend their flexibility, even if they didn't want to.
One colleague for instance, has been made to extend her flexibility from 9am-2pm (she has 2 pre-teen kids) to 9am-9pm! Said colleague came out of the meeting in tears (with good reason). Another colleague got told that she had to be flexible on a certain day, even thought that is the day she babysits her granddaughter for her daughter, because in my managers words "that's not important".
She also told another colleague that they either find ways to become more flexible or move departments.

I'm due to have my meeting tomorrow and I'm dreading it.
My boyfriends is still currently working from home, and as such they've changed his hours. So because our 2 young kids have been off nursery, I've been having to turn down overtime. I do understand that I'm breaking my flexi-contract by doing so, but this is beyond my control and she's been less than accommodating. She hasn't spoke to me once about it, every time, she's sent over a Team Leader to come and tell me instead.
So my current contracted hours are Tuesday morning and Saturday 12-6. My current flexibility is 2 mornings a week, as that is when my children are at nursery, and a few extra hours on the Saturday. But taking my boyfriends current hours into consideration I could probably be flexible Wednesday, Thursday and Friday for 4 hours an evening. But I doubt this will be forever, maybe another few months maximum.

Sorry for all the waffling, I just wanted to get all the information in there.
My question is, is my manager allowed to force us to be flexible on days we really don't want to be or on days we really can't be? Like could she threaten me with the sack as I'm only flexible 10 hours a week due to only being able to afford for my youngest child to be at nursery 3 mornings a week?
My old manager had no problem with any of this, she even cut my 22 hour contract to a 10.25 after having my 2nd child as they were the only hours she could offer me. I thought Tesco was all about being family-friendly and looking after working parents?

Ok, let's take this paragraph by paragraph...

No colleague can be told/forced to extend their availability, they can be asked only.
A colleague cannot be made to extend their flexibility by 7 hours...this is not a RHRP situation, and even then there would be procedures to follow, and only a two hour window either side, would be considered a reasonable request .
A colleague cannot be instructed to make themselves available on a specific day they do not, at the moment, work. A comment of " that's not important" should be answered..." Not to you perhaps, but it is of extreme importance to me!"
A thinly veiled threat of risking your current role in your department unless you play ball, is bullying and harassment.

Your lack of flexibility during these " uprecendated times", should not be treated as breaking your contract...you have two young children and no nursery care. DO NOT agree to different/extra hours, as these are only to be temporary, but your availability sheet will be referred to for a great deal longer, and you could risk your future employment for "not fulfilling your contract"

Are non of these colleagues Union members?? This should not be happening, you can request a union rep attend these meetings with you, or colleague if you're a non union member. They make notes on what is said/ threatened. You all could place a group grievance against this manager, for bullying and harassment.

DO NOT agree to change your availability, unless you are happy to change it. Call her bluff...tell her you have spoken to "the union's area office" about your concerns.

Just as an aside...did you want to drop your contracted hours, by over half,  on returning after having your child,
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

billandben

Just finished  the meetings and now I will be contracted to 2 departments 15hrs GM and 15hrs Grocery. I now have 2 managers and 2 departments to fight over holidays. Is this allowed ????

Welshie

You should only have to request holidays with one manager , I am contracted 2 departments and I only deal with one manager for holidays etc then I inform the other manager what has been agreed .
You need to get in writing which manager you put request to or you'll never get your holidays agreed. 

billandben

Cheers

penguin

Usually its the manager you do the most hours for who deals with your holidays or other time off requests, clearly could an issue if your hours are split equally between two or more departments as in the case above, can only agree with the get something in written down, and ask for a copy as its strange how often paperwork like that goes "missing"
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Redshoes

On paper you can only be contracted to one dept so it will be that manager who you book holidays with but what tends to happen is the managers talk and confirm between them that the holidays are fine for both Depts. You will show on the tablet as one dept and it will have to be a weekly move done by your manager.
You also need to think about overtime. Priority should be given to your main dept but you can do overtime in both. This can depend on the Depts but as its GM and grocery it will depend on the size of the store. The smaller the store the bigger the flow between the Depts is.
The big things is that the managers get on. We have a few people who do this in our store and no issues. We had one who had just one shift in PFS but rest on checkouts and his overtime tended to be more in PFS as its harder to fill but managers worked together on this. He has now retired but it worked well. The key thing that can get lost when it's two Depts is the time between shifts. You should have 11 hours, just make sure this happens for you.

lucgeo

Quote from: billandben on 05-09-20, 11:53AM
Just finished  the meetings and now I will be contracted to 2 departments 15hrs GM and 15hrs Grocery. I now have 2 managers and 2 departments to fight over holidays. Is this allowed ????

Is this a change of dept's, due to your current position being no longer, affected by restructuring? If that is the case, then this move should be on a four week trial. Therefore do not sign any new contract, until you have established, in writing, which department takes priority with regard holiday bookings, overtime loyalty etc..this should have been covered in your meetings, as it is a 50-50 split, so neither dept can automatically take priority.

Do not be fobbed off with verbal assurances, as managers come and go, and what may have been agreed with one, may not sit well with the new broom wanting to sweep clean. It should not be left to you to try to secure holiday bookings, by fitting in with two dept's availability, depending on whether each dept manager are in agreement or 'get on'. This is unfair and you would be suffering a detriment.

Any holidays you have already booked, will transfer over and stand, they have to be honoured by the new dept's managers.

Welshie

Can I just push the point that you MUST get in writing which manager you report to re; holidays , family or health issues . You only need your holidays to then fit in with one department, yes managers talk but that's just tough on the other manager ,  if you have it in writing which department you request holidays through then your holidays only need to fit into that departments holidays .
As I said , I'm contracted 2 departments and would never get my holidays if I had to suit both departments .

billandben

Cheers to all for the addvice. I now have found out that 1 of my old shifts have been given to another member of staff who had is hours increced even thou GM had to loos hours.  Not happy

Redshoes

As you were requesting a change in hours because you were unable to do the shifts and have now been accommodated with a move in hours I don't see the problem. You were told that your old shifts were needed, they have now filled them. Generally there is minimal recruitment just now so if shifts were needed they would go to someone else.
If it's a matter of the shifts you wanted going to someone else, you don't know the inside information. They may have a better case than you for getting them. They might also have had issues that required a move, they may have waited a long time.

lucgeo

8-). Have I missed something here ???  Has billandben posted on a different thread about requesting change in hours  ???

Nomad

Quote from: Redshoes on 08-09-20, 03:19AM
As you were requesting a change in hours because you were unable to do the shifts and have now been accommodated with a move in hours I don't see the problem. You were told that your old shifts were needed, they have now filled them. Generally there is minimal recruitment just now so if shifts were needed they would go to someone else.
If it's a matter of the shifts you wanted going to someone else, you don't know the inside information. They may have a better case than you for getting them. They might also have had issues that required a move, they may have waited a long time.

Someone else maybe very or very very good 'friends' with the manager, or maybe related to them  ;)  ;)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

thor god of thunder

first rule of working at T, ....dont be bullied.they will try.

billandben

It looks like staff were moved out when they were told how many hours they had to loose before they got the heat map. They have had to increse some staffs hours to fill the shift they should not have moved in the first place, (I did not ask to be moved.) Another great mess up by store management

lucgeo

If they have moved you out of a shift and given the same hours to someone else, that is highly questionable  ??? If it was a redundancy situation, that shift could not be filled for 6 months...so I'd seriously question their move here, as they have based it all on a supposition, have gone through RHRP meetings, without a heat map... how can they have achieved the agreement from CA's, without having the full facts available, it is the right of every CA being asked to change, to be presented with the heat map and a business case if requested. Also a rep should have been made available to attend all meetings. If a rep attended, why wasn't this all questioned by them??

lucgeo

P.s. If you haven't as yet signed the new contract, DON'T...if you want any or all your original shifts back, they should be made available to you until they have conducted the RHRP correctly.

NavyNinja

My store is just wrapping up the Work and Pay eLearning with all of us. Some of my colleagues, particularly the older ones, are under the impression that with the new system they are no longer going to have their contracted shifts due to 'managing by hours'. They are worried that if for example they are contracted 12-4 Monday, that could be changed to 4-8 that day or moved to another day entirely. In addition to whether this is indeed the case or not, how would that work around their availability. I dont really know what it is myself and our managers aren't too keen to help clarify things so any help would be appreciated!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk