News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:18AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Pandemics & Tesco's policy

Started by Orangutan, 24-02-20, 09:51AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluffymum

:thumbup:
Quote from: londoner83 on 03-03-20, 08:57AM
Sad as it is think there is little we can do to prevent disease spreading. Its obvious people's basic hygiene leaves a lot to be desired.....why else would we now have a run on soap.

Do think the only positive to come from this virus is customers are becoming more aware of shabby contract cleaning, questioning how often trollies and baskets are deep cleaned etc.

Mark calloway

Quote from: Walker on 09-03-20, 09:05PM
I'm getting so much guff at the moment about not selling more than 2 paracetamol...

And then it sells out in two hours...

And I've had to explain to a customer today who has arthritis and can barely walk with the pain why they couldn't get paracetamol.

So fed up at the moment. Feel like I'm ready to quit even though I haven't got another job lined up. Paracetamol doesn't work for arthritis. Just saying

Walker

Paracetamol absolutely does work for pain relief in arthritis, see https://arthritisaustralia.com.au/medication-search/paracetamol/ for example.

In any case, Mark, realistically neither of us is a doctor and if I see someone who is clearly  in pain who says paracetamol helps them I am inclined to believe them since it's a nonaddictive painkiller...

Mark calloway

Not according to the NHS. Anyway I'm pretty confident I know what I'm talking about due to my wife's conditions 👍

Walker

Quote from: Mark calloway on 10-03-20, 09:41PM
Not according to the NHS. Anyway I'm pretty confident I know what I'm talking about due to my wife's conditions 👍
Okay, so you forced me to do research on what the customer told me...

Both the NICE guidelines https://cks.nice.org.uk/osteoarthritis#!scenario and the NHS website https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/osteoarthritis/treatment/ list paracetamol as painkillers for arthritis as initial pain treatment that doctors within the NHS may recommend.

If that doesn't work in individual cases they would obviously then take other approaches...

I'm sorry to hear about your wife.

lucgeo

Customers are only permitted 2 - 16, or 1- 32 pack of paracetamol, or of any painkiller in one purchase. (Unless through pharmacy ) If they are attempting to make multiple individual purchases to obtain more, then it is illegal, as it is illegal if you are aware of the attempt to purchase them...customers know that, we all know that...just remind them of the legal implications to all involved.
Maybe stores should be using the tannoy to make these announcements at regular intervals.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Redshoes

It should not be an issue. Huge delivery of paracetamol yesterday. It filled shelves and more in back. The tills block mulitple purchases, as stated above. People can only get round this with collusion from colleagues so we should just not allow and stick to company brief.
Paracetamol is prescribed for arthritis, less so on prescription now as the NHS pays more for it than it costs to buy over the counter. There are numerous different types of arthritis and it does not affect people in the same way. My mum took stronger meds for 25 years but then was unable to tolerate them at an older age. the longer you can stick to the milder medication the better or even go without. If you need it you have to take it but most people with arthritis suffer flare ups and it goes in peeks and troughs with pain.

Walker

It's an issue at our store despite getting deliveries * 3 from normal. We're a small superstore but we're getting massive demand because the local Sainsbury's and Asda which are larger stores have both run out.

Welshie

Yes we have sold out quickly no matter how much is delivered .

lucgeo

Popped to my local Tesco earlier, for few bits to take me over till Monday...no toilet rolls, sign saying 5 per customer, no paracetamol, but loads of cold and flu tabs, which contains paracetamol anyway, so I just went for them instead  ??? Someone cocked up on the reductions...£2.50 sarnies for 98p at 5pm...£5 flowers for £1.75, I only ever buy the flowers reduced as they last a good while. It was busier than I expected for mid week, maybe people panick buying ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Preacherpauly

Prepare for the panic buying to get ramped up when they start closing schools etc. Shop workers are f***ed in this pandemic as we will always have to go to work and be around loads of people with no choice.

I've never seen the tinned food isle so empty. Even when they filled it at night it looked very empty.

lordadmiral

Dont panic. If all go wrong we would be first going (paid) off sick and if someone want to buy something they can stack shelves themselves etc....
But being serious. One thing is bothering me. We have agency workers now. Why we have someone in store who travel from town to town and possibly getting infected and then passing virus to others???!!! If that would happen then WTF, why Tesco is pushing for better replenishement if they might loose entire store team in worst case scaenerio. Then tesco driver pass it to customer who will pass it to family and go on.
That 'shopping' panic in fact doesnt help in my opinion.

Mathias casablancas

I think it would be better if possible to go to an Aldi type model during this period. forget about the endless easter cages that dominate the warehouse and workers time in april, forget about the choice just start sticking pallets on the shop floor with the essentials on that people are buying.

If they can that is, im not sure if they have enough pasta to stick on a whole pallet

Mark calloway

My store had sold a full pallet of toilet paper within an hour. No pasta,no paracetamol. No handwash,no bleach, hardly any tins. How long do those idiots think they may be isolated for? They are buying enough to last a year. Some are coming in, buying the maximum allowed then coming back in a few minutes later and doing the same.

fatboy

The most prominent word in the previous post is IDIOTS

lordadmiral

Yes and then  they will stuck with all the food ;D.
Our store manager is sending message to everyone to come and work as much as possible as we will make more money. Better than xmas. Gready slow is hoping for big bonus.

VladPutin

Quote from: Mathias casablancas on 13-03-20, 10:07AM
I think it would be better if possible to go to an Aldi type model during this period. forget about the endless easter cages that dominate the warehouse and workers time in april, forget about the choice just start sticking pallets on the shop floor with the essentials on that people are buying.

If they can that is, im not sure if they have enough pasta to stick on a whole pallet

I've seen that done with a pallet of toilet roll, aka White Gold. It was throwing raw meat into Shark-infested waters. I doubt the pallet lasted twenty minutes.

Hammer10

Quote from: lordadmiral on 13-03-20, 03:38PM
Yes and then  they will stuck with all the food ;D.
Our store manager is sending message to everyone to come and work as much as possible as we will make more money. Better than xmas. Gready slow is hoping for big bonus.
They stopped time and a half and double time tell him to do one.

Tossgo

Where a colleague has been confirmed as having Coronavirus (COVID-19) or has been advised to attend isolation or self-isolate, they will be paid from the first day of absence. The same will apply for colleagues who have a new, continuous cough or temperature over 37.8oC who are self-isolating for 7 days.
ALSO....
Colleagues whose most recent absence is as a result of the Pandemic or self-isolating for a new, continuous cough or temperature over 37.8oC should not be referred to an Absence Review Meeting. Where they have been absent for other reasons to normal policy will continue to apply.

Taken from the “updated” policy.

Nomad

Tesco driver wouldn’t help me ‘due to virus’

QuoteMs Green said: ‘According to the driver, they are not allowed to enter your house to help unpack goods, not even for customers with disabilities.’

She claims she has had no response after complaining to Tesco. However a spokesperson for the supermarket chain said its only anti-coronavirus policy was in reference to customers who were self-isolating. These customers could let their driver know via a delivery note and groceries would be left in an appropriate place.

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Paupers wage

Tesco’s never willing to clarify or respond to employees concerns only muddled vague probably on purpose statements and still no hand sanitisers to assist in the containment of Coronavirus
Tesco’s where very little information is given when it’s now most needed, no doubt this ex customer will be smothered with Tesco kindness

Totalb

What I've still yet to understand is why they haven't put twilight fill back onto a night fill, at least that way your possibly protecting and isolating 1 of the core teams in any store for replenishment purposes,and I know personally our twilight team would much rather work nights away from everyone than they would having to put up with the constant hounding that they're receiving now.

kaled78

we have 3 people off from my store self isolating,one of them went home sick thurs,she went to a hen night saturday(normally her shift is 6pm-11pm the photo's are on facebook,if they let her get away with it it takes the p***

lordadmiral

If she is useles worker then she will get away with it, if she is very good and you may say 'not replaceable','key member' etc then she wont get away with it ;D

Redshoes

Quote from: kaled78 on 15-03-20, 08:56AM
we have 3 people off from my store self isolating,one of them went home sick thurs,she went to a hen night saturday(normally her shift is 6pm-11pm the photo's are on facebook,if they let her get away with it it takes the p***

Normal policy applies. As an ex-rep I have sat in meeting with warnings issued and people come out saying "I told them" and saying they got away with it. It is all behind closed doors. As such we just won't know what happens. If someone has gone home and is in self isolation and has then chosen to go out they should be dealt with outside of the company as well as within. It's either a skive and telling an untruth or it's irresponsible and should be reported. We all play a part in this and if we have a duty to report and not sit back and complain that they are getting away with it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk