News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

26-04-24, 05:08PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,903
  • Latest: BB41
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,418
  • Total Topics: 639
  • Online today: 746
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 493
Total: 493

Physical attacks/threats on staff.

Started by fatty, 04-11-07, 03:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siren137

I have to say things have improved in our store in terms of security guards. We went without an evening guard for sometime, after much protest and several incidents we got 2 guards to cover the evenings every night. As they are the same two guys the staff know them well and they are good guards who soon sort out any trouble. We still get people trying it on, don't get me wrong but we feel somewhat safer now knowing we do at least have a guard about.
Alcohol refusals are still our biggest cause of problems here but our managers and T/L are very supportive of all staff and any issues are sorted out.

Only concern I have is seeing others mention panic buttons. I have never seen one at my store, never heard staff mention them or ever been told about them when I started.  :o

SeannyFontaine

Our security is great generally, we have one guy who is quality. Good man to deal with when things go pear shaped.

The only physical confrontation I can remember is when a bloke on check outs got punched in the face several times by a lassie who clearly had some issues to deal with.
Not sure what came of it legally though.

Nobody has ever given me s*** at work, once a drunk guy said he'd kick me in the face after I responded to his question of "where's my mate" with "how the Hell would I know where your mate is?" and even then after he said it I walked up to him and asked him to repeat what he'd said to which his mate grabbed him and took him away apologising prefusely.

I know the guy who said it too, my brother in law sawed his new bike in half when they were kids.

TescoCommando

I was tempted to attack a member of staff today myself. In fact, if I'd had access to firearms, I'd have made a spirited attempt to beat that Norwegian bloke's record... >:(

Our customer service desk has two ques; one for lottery, fags etc the other for customer service itself. Some worthless, senile old coffin-dodger decided that the signs were "Confusing" and jumped the line in front of me. I told him to jog on, but the person behind the desk said the old fart was first in line. I pointed out that he was first in the other line, not this one, but person decided to serve Coffin Dodger, who then launched into a rant about how the signs were confusing.

By the time he was finished dribbling, I was seriously contemplating murdering both Old Fart and person behind desk, and possibly not in that order. >:(

[admin]Edited to remove/edit offensive wording. Nomad[/admin]

Gold_Alien

The other night a man was ejected from the store by security, because he was drunk and attempted to pull a kick-stool out from underneath a member of staff while she was standing on it.
He also attempted to grop a male member of staff's bottom.
man was ejected from store and proceeded to argue with security at front of store for several minutes before management came over, he then argued soem more before eventually leaving.
Apparently he came in the next day and spoke to the day security guard, about wanting to apologise to the female member of staff and buy her a bottle of wine. I believe he has yet to aplogise to any staff involved in it, and has not been seen in the store at night since.

starbox120862

we got a really abusive young chav female, with tiny tot in tow; she wanted to spend her £3.10 NHS milk voucher on fags. When I refused she was shouting 'how DARE you embarrass me in front of everyone!' and was asking people in queue for the money!! (I believe some little shops actually let people spend these vouchers on anything, but I'm damned if my taxes are going to sub her habit!!)

TescoCommando

Quote from: Gold_Alien on 22-12-11, 01:46PM
The other night a man was ejected from the store by security, because he was drunk and attempted to pull a kick-stool out from underneath a member of staff while she was standing on it.
He also attempted to grop a male member of staff's bottom.
man was ejected from store and proceeded to argue with security at front of store for several minutes before management came over, he then argued soem more before eventually leaving.
Apparently he came in the next day and spoke to the day security guard, about wanting to apologise to the female member of staff and buy her a bottle of wine. I believe he has yet to aplogise to any staff involved in it, and has not been seen in the store at night since.

Security and management should'nt have been arguing with the customer in the first place. He should have been told - once - to remove himself from Tesco property. Any refusal to do so and management should have 'phoned the police.

goldeneagle

At my store, we have an on-going situation where some travellers come in at about 2-3am a couple of times a week, both of whom are either below 18 or certainly look under 25.  When asked for ID they get extremely abusive and have made a couple of death threats to the lady looking after the self-service tills. 

Whenever these people arrive, evidently our security guard decides to take his tea break, and the night manager mysteriously disappears too.  As the people are under 25 the staff member is forced to ask for ID or have the threat of being fined / sacked for not doing her job.  On one occasion the night manager did come over, said to the two people "you're barred" then walked off.  They have since been back a couple of times and are still as abusive.

The staff member is in the union, but all they tell her to do is write it down and send a complaint to the store manager.  She has now done this more than TWELVE times and still nothing has happened.  The only option she now has is to resign !!!

Please can somebody advise exactly what steps she should take to get this resolved quickly.  Personally I find the whole thing disgusting !!

Anne

This is disgusting. I assume that the member of staff concerned has copies of the statements she has previously given to the store manager? On that basis, I would make a formal compliant to the Police. She has done what she was asked by the store to do, is not being protected whatsoever and this now needs formal intervention. it might also give tosco the kick up the arse it needs before something serious happens.

I have been in this situation myself and have been followed home. It was only after telling tosco to sort it or I would go to the police that they did. Good luck to the lady involved and I genuinely hope this  is sorted out asap. :)

artimis

I too find this disgusting, barred means if set foot on premises again it's tresspass, keep doing it and it's aggrivated tresspass. Security should be arresting them. NO-BODY should ever be left totally alone at the front end during the night.

Mr BOB

Why do USDAW not get tosco to do that "RESPECT OUR STAFF" thing like they do in the CO-OP?

allhallowseve

If you get attacked at work do you claim off Tesco?

artimis

Tesco has a responsibility to protect it's staff from all foreseeable. Being attacked isn't foreseeable but does it come under accident at work/as a result of work?? I bet it's covered in the conditions of employment. Though as security I see me being attacked as foreseeable as I'm front line and dealing with the angry customers, the abusive and the shoplifters... for some reason though I think Tesco will have put a get-out in the conditions of employment against any liability.

Nomad

I could believe the courts taking a dim view of an employee getting into financial problems due to reduction in earnings due to an injury sustained at work by an attack occurring during the execution of their duties.

Security, ga or whatever their position.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

the sparrow

I am really sorry but because i am new I can not find a way of starting a new topic. This is really important to me as I need to know what the procedure is when your store is held up with an Armed Robber ??? Please Please someone advise me what I should do As I am unable to return to work right away .

[admin]http://www.verylittlehelps.com/index.php?page=15 Exception made due to the nature of the question. Nomad[/admin]

Anne

Are you being held up now or have you been held up recently?

1, Give them whatever they want and DO NOT put yourself or others in any danger. Tesco are insured for loss and you are more important.

2, If you can, press the emergency alarm, as many as you can.

3, try and ring 999 and keep the line open, but only if you can undetected by the robbers.

Most important, Don't let anyone be a hero. It just is not worth the risk.

Sounds silly under the circumstances but I hope this helps.

the sparrow

We were held up at knife point ... And completley unplanned 2 of us unarmed him... But after we were very shook. Our store manager arrived and sent us to to doctor and home . Now im wondering if I stay off will I get paid ?? I knoe My medical bills will be paid for but what about long term affects ??? I swear we are lucky to be alive... WHAT SHOULD i DO NEXT ???? Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

crazycookie

Hi,
I think your question is in regards to what happens if you are too stressed out to return to work.
The company should support you.  If you are a union member contact your local office and legal plus as you may be able to claim money from the union via the Criminal Injuries
Compensation Authority.
Seek medical help as well.
Good luck

Anne

As far as I know, if your DR signs you off sick, then sick pay will be as stated in your contract. I do not think that would be overlooked due to the circumstances, unfortunately. You  should be offered (professional)  counselling to help you to get over the shock, minimize long term effects and to enable  you to return to work with confidence.

I am not the best person to advise but there are several members who will not only have  the answers you are looking for and others who have experienced an armed robbery who may be able to help as well.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

TescoCommando

I second Anne's advice, and I've no doubt most coppers would say exactly the same: leave tackling armed criminals to those with the training, weapons and legal powers to do so.

Anyway, the police get paid a damn sight more than most of us. Don't buy a dog then bark yourself. ;)

Frankly, after the way I've recently been treated by the company, I wouldn't attempt to stop an UN-armed robber! >:(

Nomad

http://www.peopleattesco.com/your-wellbeing/Your-Wellbeing.aspx

QuoteNeed to talk to someone? - Free counselling could help you deal with a trauma, problem at work or just life in general...

I would also contact Occupational health.

[admin]I have merged this topic with the topic regarding attacks on staff. (1) because they are related. (2) creating a new topic as I did for a newbie seemed to create a home page anomaly. Nomad[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Underapreciated

This thread seems to be a bitty on the older side however I thought I would add my experiences over my 5 years if this is still being checked  :)

1 - New store opening just before Christmas, I was doing the fresh food reductions, a customer was waiting patiently for me to reduce a pizza (I think it was a pizza at least) I reduced the pizza and gave it to him when another customer snatched it out of his hand, the event turned ugly and in my attempt at getting a small child out of the firing line of the 2 rather burly 'gentlemen' swinging their fists I was punched in the face and as a result ended up with a cracked cheek-bone.

2 - A rather large group of teenagers came to my checkout with a large amount of alcohol, I asked for ID, there was about 8 people in the group and only 2 could produce ID so I refused the sale. One of the girls reached across the checkout and tried to grab at my uniform but I had stepped back out of reach, she then picked up a bottle of Vodka and threw it at me I managed to duck but the security guard coming up behind me wasn't so lucky, he had to have 12 stitches.

3 - Again doing fresh food reductions just after new year (The year after the Christmas incident) I was kneeling on the floor to reach to the back to get stuff and a customer grabbed my hair and 'leaned' on me so they could reach something on a higher shelf. Once they had the product as they stood up they pulled sharply on my hair and pulled a chunk out.

4 - A Friday when I was facing up the Wines and Spirits aisle (Around about 9pm I believe) a group of 3 'boys' came into the aisle and seemed to be a little intoxicated, I moved to the opposite end of the aisle out of the way and they followed me. I ended up as a human 'sandwich' between the boys with each one of them trying to remove my clothing and touch me inappropriately, I felt threatened and saw an opening between the boys (I was calling out but there was no one in the area to hear) I pushed my way through the gap and accidentally knocked one of the boys over into a stack of wine which unfortunately broke and caused him a few minor cuts along with a stained set of clothing (Shame) - Only saving grace for me was all 3 camera's in that area were working and picked up everything.

5 - Most recently I was on a kick stool cleaning the top shelf from some nasty substance that had been dumped and left to rot (So not my idea of fun) when a group of school children came in and thought it would be funny to push me off the kick stool, I hit my temple on the corner of the shelf and came around in hospital 4 hours later with 4 stitches and an aversion to using kick stools.

That's it thankfully. Although there are a few instances of verbal abuse that I don't really mind about as it's like water to a ducks back and I can't remember most of them but they tended to be about my not being able to produce a product out of thin air simply because it was out of stock or we didn't stock it and in a couple cases didn't appear to exist (Anyone heard of Nescafe Extra Light Gold Blend?)

Hope that this mini essay helps   

schalti

lost count the amount of time I've been threatend to be knifed or just plain old beaten up  scuffles arguments it can become drole after a while but i do sometime like to tellthem  you better make sure if you put me down i better not get up :)

Vampirerock

Quote from: Tilltart on 03-07-08, 11:26PM
Tesco H/O only worry about money threw a till and not the abuse from customers to staff

when I was a front end T/L

I had a member of staff in tears from verbal abuse over a customer being asked for ID, the CSM at the time was called to CSD and he knocked on the door of the office I was consoling the member of staff, I was pulled outside and told "that customer was well over 18 you pr**k whats up with you now go sort her out and get her back on her till" I just told him I was on overtime and didn't need this sort of abuse and went home. 2 weeks later I was suspended for a very minor issue that takes place in stores daily hmmmm wonder why

So is it attacks by customers or senior management ???????

I Agree, Tesco cares about profits, & not their staff, especially all us normal workers ie not management or team leaders etc 
There must be something to be done about members of senior management in stores, in a local extra store, the maintenance person was physically assaulted by a member of senior management, they had to have 2.5 months off sick, but were made to go back to the same store with the same senior manager there, they didn't get the chance to come back slowly, & were basically dumped & made to get on with the job, since then they've had to have subsequent doctor notes, but still they are not allowed to move to a different store. 

tescopleb

If it was that serious then surely the police should be involved - senior management or not?

Tegai

If your assaulted at work surely it's down to you to contact the police, like it would be down to you to contact the police if you were not at work! It's about time that bullies at work are stigmatised in society

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk