News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:26PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 279
Total: 279

Disciplinary Meeting

Started by tempo35, 29-04-20, 10:20AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightAndDay

Raise a grievance against the manager for dignity at work, even if the mateyboy manager told the shift leader to performance manage you, they're not allowed, make sure lets talks or the SYP plan adminstered by the Shift Leader is documented first, during the investigation, the shift leader will say he was told to do so by your manager, this will aid you in your grievances for dignity at work against your manager.

If there has been a grievance investigation and disciplinary meted out before for the same issue (breaches against dignity at work is serious misconduct) then the investigation manager (would be the people partner if the culprit is high up enough) will have to give a warning level higher than what was given before, even going as far as giving them the sack, as the investigation manager not only has to remain impartial, but protect the business from law suits.

Tinkerbell1234

Yeah i will address has i have to email people partner tomorrow to let her know my concerns thanks :thumbup:

penguin

Quote from: Bubbles1234 on 07-06-20, 08:04PM
I thought so yes can do lets talk on colleagues not on another shift leader well its obvious the manager still at it tells me im not allowed to manage staff not my job then tells us another shift leader will manage and perfomance manage them hes still trying to get me even tho hes off  :'(

No doubt this will not go down well, but anyone can use a lets talk with anyone regardless of job title and role within the company, a lets talk is simply a record of a conversation nothing more, the issue you need to focus on here is the shift leader being told to performance manage you as that one is totally unacceptable.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

NightAndDay

Lets talks can also be used as the starting point for disciplinary action in place of informal written warnings, i.e 3 lets talks on the same issue then it goes to written warning which only the store manager or team manager can do. Shift Leaders aren't able to do anything beyond lets talks.

Certainly the shift leader in question can't use it as a disciplinary device against you due to being at the same work level.

penguin

You cannot go straight from lets talk on 3 times to written warning, before it goes to any form of warning it goes to investigation meeting, but a lets talk on the same issue more than once should suggest an underlying problem and a shift leader or manager should be looking at what can be done to resolve the issue rather than just expecting to write out another lets talk a month later.

NightAndDay

After 3 lets talks on the same area of conduct/behaviour, they get invited to an investigation meeting with the SM, whereby they may get given a written warning depending on outcome and nature of misconduct.

penguin

But the way your other post came across was that it goes straight from a 3rd lets talk on the same matter directly to a written warning from store manager, and that is as you have pointed out yourself not the case.

alf

Imma gonna take a punt and say this 3 lets talk rule is totally made up.

NightAndDay

Quote from: penguin on 08-06-20, 07:38PM
But the way your other post came across was that it goes straight from a 3rd lets talk on the same matter directly to a written warning from store manager, and that is as you have pointed out yourself not the case.

All disciplinarys are preceded by an investigation for issues of conduct as that is the process, a written warning (as informal verbals have been replaced with lets ralks) is a likely outcome. The 3 lets talks rule is part of the disciplinary process for issues of repeat minor misconduct.

alf

Katarn2000

I don't know where poeple are getting this 3 let's talk thing from. It's total nonsense. There is no requirement whatsoever for these in the disciplinary process.

NightAndDay

Whatsapp message from an SM about the 3 lets talks process.

"She plays that game all the time. Document what she has said formally about 1. Refusing to comply to a basic managerial request 2. Coments about not willing to complete tasks for the store manager and a shift leader. We need to address her attitude and performance accordingly to rectify this situation we have with her.

As I have said before in regards to let's talks after three on the same area of conduct and behaviour the individual will be invited to an investigation with myself. Please follow this process so we can look after our people in the right way.

Well done on getting hrr to work but be careful not to fall for her ploys."

Tinkerbell1234

Ok what about if someone has never done it before does it go straight to a lets talk what about understanding why it was done and whasapp message saying her attitude what about the managers attitudes managers are the worst not all previous manager fantastic guy.since my occupatiencial referrel company now want to support me bit late for that damage is done

Katarn2000

Quote from: NightAndDay on 09-06-20, 09:02AM

"She plays that game all the time. Document what she has said formally about 1. Refusing to comply to a basic managerial request 2. Coments about not willing to complete tasks for the store manager and a shift leader. We need to address her attitude and performance accordingly to rectify this situation we have with her.

As I have said before in regards to let's talks after three on the same area of conduct and behaviour the individual will be invited to an investigation with myself. Please follow this process so we can look after our people in the right way.

Looks like that manager has put in extra steps to be overly cautious on top of the process. That isn't Tesco policy for discipline issues. They've added their own process. What a surprise - a store manager making policy up as they go along.

Let's talk it's not part of the disciplinary process. It didn't replace informal verbals or the informal discussion. If that's how it's being used it's being abused. These managers need retraining. Typical lazy management using everything as a blunt instrument to try and force compliance with their wishes.

alf

The "policy" is from a WhatsApp message.. Jesus christ... 

NightAndDay

Quote from: Katarn2000 on 09-06-20, 11:00AM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 09-06-20, 09:02AM

Looks like that manager has put in extra steps to be overly cautious on top of the process. That isn't Tesco policy for discipline issues. They've added their own process. What a surprise - a store manager making policy up as they go along.

Let's talk it's not part of the disciplinary process. It didn't replace informal verbals or the informal discussion. If that's how it's being used it's being abused. These managers need retraining. Typical lazy management using everything as a blunt instrument to try and force compliance with their wishes.

I thought SMs were the right honourable arbiters of Tesco law, aren't they sworn in upon promotion that they will uphold the sacred text of OurTesco?

penguin

Quote from: alf on 09-06-20, 11:54AM
The "policy" is from a WhatsApp message.. Jesus christ... 

That is an improvement, usually the managers just seem to pluck policy out of thin air.

alf

Wouldn't be surprised, personally that's why I think ourtesco (colleague help now) is the best thing tesco ever did when it comes to this type or stuff, I can quickly  fact check any fibs that may be told.

“you have to work boxing day“  for example.

lucgeo

8-) or "you have to do either Boxing Day, or New Year's Day to make it fair on the dept..work it out between you"  :D
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

penguin

Not forgetting the other classic, "you must work either Good Friday or Easter Monday", says what policy exactly.

Tinkerbell1234

My question is why do they believe everything managers say what about our voices and there are managers out there that need some serious training Tesco need to sort it  and support the colleagues

penguin

Most managers are truthful and actually do the best in a job that is not as easy as some on here like to assume it is, yes it goes without saying some really are awful and need far more than retraining but you will find the same issue in any organisation where you have people with different levels of authority.

NightAndDay

Not sure I agree with the sentiment that retraining is the panacea for all managerial misconduct, some were never fit to hold the position in the first place, though going down that road would impose uncomfortable questions surrounding who it was that deemed them suitable in the first place as well as put the spotlight on their executive functioning (judgement and decision making).

lucgeo

The whole TRAINING of Tesco personnel went out of the window years ago.

When I started there was a TRAINING room and a TRAINING manager. New checkout operators were sat on a closed checkout for a couple of days with a TRAINING manual and the checkout was put into TRAINING mode for them to operate. Every department had TRAINING timescales, where they were buddied to shadow and learn.

Options colleagues, were constantly monitored, given TRAINING scenarios I.e. Group debates and problem solving with CA's, one or two CA's, with strong characters, were encouraged by the PM beforehand, to be awkward and disagreeable to see how the Options candidate dealt with managing the debate! They worked on each department, learning the ropes. When they were signed off, they went to another store for three months or more, to gain the experience of management. Managers were periodically moved onto different dept's to learn the procedures and were encouraged to ask the long serving CA's for help and advice if unsure of procedures.

Now there's "PRE" options candidates who are given a striped shirt, the duty 'phone, 12 hour shifts and told to get on with it as its " good for their development". If they ever do eventually get signed off, they go straight back on their own department, amongst their own team, to manage their old mates and the ones they've never got on with!!

Years ago, Tesco managers were headhunted by other companies, regarded highly due to their intense TRAINING  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Tinkerbell1234

I appealed and won.Managers need serious training on how to do investigation and graduate managers need proper training on disciplinaries  :thumbup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk