News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:49PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,119
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 300
Total: 304

Job losses.

Started by Nomad, 07-04-09, 07:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lackofinterest

Quote from: HeadOfficeElf on 09-08-12, 05:56PM
Quote deleted in line with your own advice

1. If the contract had an end date and is not being renewed then there is no unfair dismissal case.
2. If you haven't already started proceedings for the injury at work, them I'm afraid it could now be argued that you are making a claim out of vindictiveness due to your posting above.

It wouldn't take a junior barrister many minutes to link an injury at work, your hubbys contract ending and the timing and nature of your post to come to a conclusion.

If I was you, I'd delete your post.

in my opinion your last sentence should have read " i want you to remove your post( because tesco are in the wrong but i dont want to admit it)"?!!!

TechSupporter

I just read this whole topic start to finish, its amazing - in general - the amount of staff we have lost from 2009 until now.

Is there anyone else around who can help chime in numbers on an average shift - I'm talking people who have been here 5+ years and can say they used to work in a higher manned hours shift. I can say certainly the £ targets have not gone backwards so I would be very interested to see some figures.

E.g 4 Non food staff, 2 tech, 1 news+Mags, 1 click and collect 2009
2 Non food, 1 tech, no news+mags (handled by non food ga's now) ect 2014.

Im taking very general stuff, but I want to see after all this news I see about more hours invested where we have actually arrived at as a company.

Hoo-rah!

Only just seen this thread. Back in 2009, we had seven full timers and four part timers. Two guys who started at six in the morning and finished at ten, one who did a 6-10PM shift and another guy who did a full days shift on Thursday/Friday/Saturday.

We currently have five full timers, and two part timers. One who works 6-10 in the evening but only three days a week. The other part timer works a full days shift on Thursday/Friday/Saturday.

toscozombie

Hi I am a Long term employee , and have worked evenings then nights . In the last two years we have gone down in numbers ie fresh has had two full timers leave. one change departments because of RHRP , one retire and two who are taken off most nights to go on to other departments , but apparently we are over staffed :/
Vintage worker

selfservice

In the last 18 months we've lost 5 staff,  that's in express. Barely enough people left to keep the store open  :o

panther

As I'm SURE I mentioned somewhere  :P our store 'is' 1200 over contracted. As this figure equates to nearly 33 full timers, I'd LOVE to see what would happen if they actually stripped the store of this. I REALLY, REALLY would, and have said as much in the comments of our viewpoint or whatever they decide to call it these days. Yes, we might get o/t (eventually, when we have paid back our overspend) but who would do it?

retroragsni

our store was 120 hours over contracted.   rhrp/ ga,s droping hours and folks leaving. 120 hours found.  weeks later pm stated we were 220 still over contracted.  funny thing is no mangers are over contracted.  c**p place to work nowdays.

penguin

We have lost loads of staff and when I was in express we got down to so little staff our SM was either on till or doing stock, the situation is a total farce job losses are going on in store as hours and staff never replaced, the company is now past caring about the staff or how it looks if large numbers of store staff are gone and the current team leader / manager trial and the bakery changes are nothing more than cost cutting.

Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

tl_ffsc

2011 my store had 245 staff for approx. 10400 hours a week,

2014 we have 186 staff totalling 6600 hours per week....staff down 25% hours down 35%

Last month the local paper covered us "creating" 35 new jobs in our DotCom...

JimmySaville

Thats quite a shocking reduction in staff. Can only see it continue with the new bossman in october. The first thing to go to "save money" is the staff.

tl_ffsc

big drop however we have lots of overtime available to top those hours up so we are ok according to head office. What they assume though is that we are using just the overtime we need and do not max the budget therefore everything is hunky dory.......reality is we cannot get the overtime filled and are regularly short of staff to operate, especially on nights where 15 people are needed but they can regularly have only 6-7 staff these days. Less than a year ago this would have rarely happened as people had more hours on more nights creating a solid core team.

notsofunny

Quote from: tl_ffsc on 21-07-14, 12:19PM
2011 my store had 245 staff for approx. 10400 hours a week,

2014 we have 186 staff totalling 6600 hours per week....staff down 25% hours down 35%

Last month the local paper covered us "creating" 35 new jobs in our DotCom...

Would you know how much you where taking in 2011?
I mean if your takings are down like they have been in all the other main stores then jobs would have to be cut

notsofunny

Quote from: penguin on 13-07-14, 03:57PM
We have lost loads of staff and when I was in express we got down to so little staff our SM was either on till or doing stock, the situation is a total farce job losses are going on in store as hours and staff never replaced, the company is now past caring about the staff or how it looks if large numbers of store staff are gone and the current team leader / manager trial and the bakery changes are nothing more than cost cutting.
we don't have a problem with Budget,
What we do have a problem with is not being able to take new staff on fast to replace ones that have gone,(having to wait for anyone that wants to transfer from main store)which never happends
And another problem would be a lot of staff on old contracts that just seem to go off sick

in the poo

I work on the combination des was told on Monday morning that we are the first store to close the desk and direct desk to merge into a collection point pod x it won't work x so 19 of us are on a consultation  period for 45 days be carefull if anyone works on the c9mbi desk bloody move now x

Joanne89

I work on a combined desk (direct & electrical) and we keep getting told different things from different people. We have recently been told that our desk opening hours should be 10am-8pm. I think opening so late is ridiculous. We are a big store and out direct and electrical has a steady flow of customers especially at this time of year when it's slow but to send customers off to another check out when wanting to buy a 50" tv especially when next to us is the phone shop who open at 9am and then in front of us is the clothing desk with opening time of 8am. We are located upstairs on a mez floor

Morris999

Quote from: in the poo on 22-01-16, 10:23AM
I work on the combination des was told on Monday morning that we are the first store to close the desk and direct desk to merge into a collection point pod x it won't work x so 19 of us are on a consultation  period for 45 days be carefull if anyone works on the c9mbi desk bloody move now x

Your just the first this year!

Many direct desks were removed from stores last autumn!
Many were put with the CSD the rest were put with electrical desks!
To say it's been a disaster in my store is an understatement!
We had about 90 hours on our direct desk, they removed it and added 15 hours to the CSD so they could do all the work that was done in 90!

The last time a daily audit was done was on the last day our direct desk was open!
We all know the problems the company had with direct in the run up to xmas, we had people walking out the store because they couldn't buy a lottery ticket or fags!
The Csd colleagues and manager spent all day dealing with direct customers, the SM just avoided the CSD area completely and told the CSD manager to just get on with it!

Equalizer87

Quote from: selfservice on 12-07-14, 07:56PM
In the last 18 months we've lost 5 staff,  that's in express. Barely enough people left to keep the store open  :o

Before I left Tesco, we went from 10 Grocery staff ( 6 Full time, 4 Part time) down to 5  staff (3 Full Time, 2 Part time). Two of which went on holiday after their girlfriends gave birth and I left the same week. One of the lads on leave left at the end of his time off, leaving just the four ( 2 Full time, 2 Part time). How the hell they expect the work that a team of 10 could do to be completed by 4 is beyond me. I recently heard staff have taken a few sick days and one has gone off with stress. Doesn't surprise me if furthe job losses/reductions in staff are coming.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

nightslave101

When I started nights around 2008/09 there was enough staff for 1 person per isle, 3 managers and a couple of team leaders to sort promo ends, do training, holiday planning etc.

When I left in 2014/2015 there were still 3 managers and a TL, though the TL has since gone. The actual number of general staff was on average 4-6 a night depending on who was on holiday/days off. God forbid if anyone rang in sick. I remember some nights going in and there being like 3 staff and 1 manager to do the entire shop lol. Still expected to get the same amount of work done also. The store manager used to come in like a bull in a china shop in the mornings and no excuse was good enough if something wasn't perfect, was a bit of a bell end to be honest!

chris9997

Does anyone know the likely hood of being signed off options(nights) in the south I was told quite easy as desperate for team managers on nights, however if there are changes a foot ( management clear out perhaps or nights in some stores going to twilight) I would expect there was little chance of successful completion as there may be need to be a redistribution of staff.

bigcheese

Are job loses only for Express and Metro or is this going to include Large Stores as well??

grocery91

Quote from: chris9997 on 11-02-16, 04:44PM
Does anyone know the likely hood of being signed off options(nights) in the south I was told quite easy as desperate for team managers on nights, however if there are changes a foot ( management clear out perhaps or nights in some stores going to twilight) I would expect there was little chance of successful completion as there may be need to be a redistribution of staff.

Nights is an easier progression route than days. Partially due to the undesirability but if you can do it for a few years you can get to senior level much faster than on days.

Tesco bird

Was not the case in our store. Everything was done on days training and courses etc and because we were so short staffed they would not let people go etc. That was our store. (-*-) (-*-)

Expressdude2016

Quote from: bigcheese on 17-02-16, 03:47PM
Are job loses only for Express and Metro or is this going to include Large Stores as well??

There is nothing happening in convenience its large stores only.

fruitdogs

Are Tesco Direct next to be culled? The £2 charge for orders under £30 is hitting hard.70% reduction in parcels coming in to Store.

jojaca

I have bought items recently on ebay instead of Tesco Direct because of delivery charge, but I find 70% reduction a little extreme.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk