News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 06:13PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,427
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 528
Total: 532

Nomad

Started by LittleNomad, 21-08-23, 05:39PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dizzy_1

Deepest Sympathies
i dont have an attitude problem you have a perception problem!

fatlad

(-*-) RIP Nomad

Totot

I am sorry for your lost, my condolences for you and your family.
And thank you so much Nomad for all things you have done, highly appreciated.

toscozombie

So sorry for your loss my condolences to you and your family .
This site has helped me on a couple of occasions and I have always found it well run and informative . My thoughts are with you all .
Vintage worker

lordadmiral

My condolences.

penguin

My condolences to all those who knew Nomad, the hard work he put into providing and running VLH over the years was very much appreciated by so many.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

lucgeo

Have just read the tribute to our beloved Nomad, in "The Grocer"
A lovely obituary written by Ian Quinn. 
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Spidercatcher

Oh my goodness! Am really sorry to hear about this. Sincere condolences to you and all your family on the loss of your dear father. This site has been a great refuge for many of us to air our grievances over the years. Thoughts are with you, seriously. Bless you all. xxx 

The Guvnor

For anyone who is interested in the article written by Ian Quinn in The Grocer, to save a bit of time, I have copied it over to here. It is a lovely tribute to Nomad. Thanks Ian :thumbup:

Obituary for VeryLittleHelps.com founder Nomad, a thorn in Tesco's side since 2008
By Ian Quinn 23 August 2023

In 2008 a mural by the legendary street artist Banksy appeared on the side of a pharmacy in North London.

It depicted a group of children below a flagpole. Instead of raising a flag, they paid homage to a Tesco bag with its famous Tesco blue logo printed on the side.

The piece was tagged 'Very Little Helps' and has been interpreted as reflecting Banksy's disapproval of Tesco's dominance on the high street and its impact on "the little guy".

In the same year, a website for Tesco staff launched under the same ironic title. While Banksy has gone on to become a cult figure, currently being celebrated by a sellout exhibition in Glasgow, VeryLittleHelps.com became a frequently used forum not just for thousands of Tesco staff but for national journalists, retail experts and, whether they like to admit it or not, Tesco management and PR teams eager to find out the latest rants from the frontline.

Then this week came news that the anonymous founder of the site, known to users simply as Nomad, had died.

"It is with great sadness that I have to announce that Nomad (Dad, Eddie) passed away on August 11th 2023, at the age of 76!" wrote his son (Littlenomad).

"VLH had been his little project for many years (since 2008). In due course I will decide what to do with the site, for now I will stop accepting new donations," wrote Littlenomad.

The news has saddened staff who follow the site, many of them describing Very Little Helps as a community which allowed them a voice, in a different way to other staff groups or unions.

Allowed a community a voice in a different way
Since its inception, the site has been something of a Tesco WikiLeaks, the source of numerous revelations surrounding forthcoming management shake-ups, store closures and disputes over pay, as well as many, seemingly more trivial, employment issues.

Its concoction of keyboard warriors with usernames taken from Game of Thrones characters conjured images of lonely nights in bedsits after a hard shift at the DC. It was comic, but at the same time got to the heart of shopworkers' everyday concerns.

Sometimes a vehicle for staff with an axe to grind, looking for a forum in which to vent their anger, Very Little Helps was also the source for a number of important grocery stories over the years. Whilst it is unlikely to admit it publicly, it was a thorn in the side of the supermarket on the occasions when its handling of major staffing issues, in particular, could have been better communicated.

You will be missed by us all
On the news of Nomad's passing, one user posted: "This site has been a vital source of knowledge, reassurance and camaraderie for many over the years.

"We are all grateful for the hard work of your father to create this uniquely safe environment. People have felt able to discuss sometimes highly personal or controversial situations securely without fear of work-related consequences – an opportunity not available anywhere else."

Another regular poster said: "I am so so sorry for your loss. Eddie – a beautiful kind generous soul. Always been kind to me personally. It is through him and his dedication in helping others that enabled us all over many years to come together. Eddie... thank you my friend. You will be missed by us all."

As Tesco frequently used to point out, VLH only represented the views of the minority of its staff who used the site, not to mention all the hangers-on that followed the gossip and didn't even work for Tesco. But Nomad was also quick to point out if users posting on the site had overstepped the mark by allowing their grievances to go too far.

So as decisions are made about the future of the site, many this week will have their imaginary Very Little Helps flag flying at half-mast.
The Guvnor

Dungivnatoss

dfl

So sorry to hear this, deepest sympathies to you and your family
DFL

Adywebb

Very sad news, my sincerest condolences to you and all the family

OvaSees

My deepest symnpathies to you and your family. Nomad was not only a source of inspriation for many - evidenced by the success of this place - but also a font of knowledge and a refreshing voice of common sense in an increasingly topsy-turvy world.

amex

So sorry to hear this, I retired 2 years ago after working in superstore and express.  This site was often the source of needed info, when employees were sometimes the last to know. Here's hoping someone can take over and keep it going.

crabbit

Don't come on here much as I've left Tesco but still remember the kindness shown to me by Nomad and others here during hard times at Tesco.
He was grateful too for the time and effort I offered as a Moderator for a short time even made me a member for life, never did get to thank him in person(though he did offer to treat me to a cream tea when I was on holiday in Devon).
I offer thanks for the help and kindness shown by Eddie and for the foresight to start VLH and we all now that has helped thousands of Tesco staff to be able to defend themselves at work.
I also offer my condolences to his family and friends on their personal loss.

Goodbye my friend.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

bushido

My deepest sympathies for your family.
You can be so proud of what he built here and the help and guidance he managed to give to so many.
I was proud to have been a moderator in the earlier days and like crabbit, was thankful for the kindness shown by Nomad.

He will be sorely missed.

Rest now pal.
bushido  
Those who scream loudest are the quietest when action is needed
"Gentlemen, you cant fight in here, this is the war room!"

Pochin123

This website is a godsend for colleagues of the business. So sorry for your loss.
Has This Been Briefed Out??

Billy Budd

Truly sorry for your loss pal ~  :'(

trigger

condolences i was fortunate enough to meet your dad once in a pub south of manchester im sure i bought him half a lager.
BRING ON THE WELSH HA HA HA.GRAND SLAM 2008.
VOTE UKIP.

trigger

Quote from: crabbit on 30-08-23, 05:37PMDon't come on here much as I've left Tesco but still remember the kindness shown to me by Nomad and others here during hard times at Tesco.
He was grateful too for the time and effort I offered as a Moderator for a short time even made me a member for life, never did get to thank him in person(though he did offer to treat me to a cream tea when I was on holiday in Devon).
I offer thanks for the help and kindness shown by Eddie and for the foresight to start VLH and we all now that has helped thousands of Tesco staff to be able to defend themselves at work.
I also offer my condolences to his family and friends on their personal loss.

Goodbye my friend.
couldnt have siad it better mate
BRING ON THE WELSH HA HA HA.GRAND SLAM 2008.
VOTE UKIP.

helpme

Condolences to you and your family at such a sad time. Like many I'm also now an ex colleague of Tescos but when I was employed by them there were occasions where information provided by him helped not only me but also others from being hung out to dry by management.

btblackbird

Sincere condolences to you and all your family, VLH has helped so many. RIP Nomad

tescopleb

Sincerest condolences to Nomads family.As many have said VLH has made a huge difference many people. RIP Nomad.

Raven

My condolences to you and your family.

londoner83

Sorry for your loss.

You should be really proud of your dad's achievements in establishing this site and of the thousands of colleagues who benefited from his advice.

Faceandgo

So sad to hear of your loss. Like so many I'm now ex-Tesco but whilst I was there, this site offered so much in support and information that you just couldn't get directly from the company.  I was  briefly a moderator and then administrator ( lured by Nomad's promise of soft toilet paper in the executive toilets)   I met Eddie on a number of occasions. My thoughts go out to Anne and her family.   
take two cages onto the shop floor? not me i just faceandgo!(Administrator)

Time is too slow for those who wait
Too swift for those who fear
Too long for those who grieve  Too short for those who rejoice  But for those who love, Time is eternity.   -Henry Van Dyke

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk