News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:39PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 300
Total: 302

Cold chain break ?

Started by Nomad, 29-09-20, 10:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you seen cold chain broken ?

Never
18 (4.8%)
Regularly
307 (81.9%)
Occasionally
50 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 354

Nomad

Honest votes please.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

kaled78

it's not a new thing,I have worked for the company over 30 years,and it has always happened in every store I have worked in

penguin

It is not even just a Tesco thing, I have worked for several retailers over the years and all of them have had issues around cold chain, years ago I worked for Iceland, cold chain was hardly ever followed, raised it with store manager reply was "not my concern, my family and I wont be the ones eating it"
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

NightAndDay

Probably an indictment on the Store Manager role as a whole to be fair, cowboys, the lot of them.

Darth Tosco

This is a daily occurrence.  Your overs cage is left on the shopfloor until its filled.  When mid shift delivery turns up, the chiller is rammed full, so you can't take anything back anyway.  Then you have the fans inside the chiller, turned off while pre-sort is working in there till 5am.  It's not over exagerating to say chilled goods are out of the cold chain for 7 consecutive hours each day.

chris9997

The volumes on fresh to be worked against stafff hours allowed make it impossible to keep to the cold chain at all, also in some superstores the fresh isles are quite narrow and with fridges either side it is likely to be within the temp range. Just because it is not put back in chiller does not make it against the law , which says the products should be stored at 5 or below.

dotnochance

Tesco rules state 20 min rule, you’ve all signed the training. Rules are not there for you to interpret

King1999

Just play their game,Tosco fairy land where utopia rules.......blinkered to the truth.

lucgeo

Quote from: dotnochance on 05-10-20, 09:55AM
Tesco rules state 20 min rule, you’ve all signed the training. Rules are not there for you to interpret

So next time the training comes round, refuse to sign it off, stating that the store is non compliant to training policy...the SM will not be happy, as they have to produce 100% signed off training.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Fixxer

It'd be easy to police. Each person potentially working something in the cold chain gets issued a stop watch that clips on to a cage. When you take the cage out of the chiller/freezer you start the stopclock. When you put it back you stop it and restart the process.

They'd cost pennies for a company like Tesco to buy (about the same as a pair of gloves probably)

For all those that say "but then the staff will just stop the clock/restart it" well yes, but that'd be a conscious act on their part and a identifiable cold chain break done intentionally by a member of staff. Which would mean everyone would start sticking to it.

It's not implemented because Tesco knows that 20 minutes to work a dairy cage as a single person isn't enough.

NightAndDay

Tescos Hub should be monitoring this if it's monitoring everything else, if they're not then that would highlight a slight bias to overlooking managerial misconduct (cold chain is something the manager would be accountable for).

Fixxer

Can you imagine if they actually started to police the 20 minute cold chain policy? It'd require far more presorting, far more cages and far more storage space to make it viable. The only other alternative would be to have 2x or 3x the staff working each cage.

Mutti

Sitting in the canteen a decade ago in the middle of the night, our manager handed out the training sheets and called out the answers so we'd get a great pass rate.
When it came to the cold chain question, he told us to put 20 minutes "but obviously noone takes any notice of that....."

He's still the fresh manager, though in a different store and likely still in charge of the training.

Scruff

Cold chain? whats that? :D

Devon lover

I CAN HONESTLY SAY NEVER IN MY STORE.WE ARE A EXTRA BUT HAVE STANDARDS

[admin]Welcome to VLH. However please do not post in uppercase in nearly all forums it is bad etiquette as it is considered SHOUTING. The odd word in the right place is OK though. [/admin]

lucgeo

8-) he's got to shout to ensure he's being HEARD all the way from Devon 8-) ;D

[admin]I love Devon, lived there 2007 - 2016. Nomad :)[/admin]
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

surlaroute

Quote from: Fixxer on 06-10-20, 01:24PM
Can you imagine if they actually started to police the 20 minute cold chain policy? It'd require far more presorting, far more cages and far more storage space to make it viable. The only other alternative would be to have 2x or 3x the staff working each cage.

If they actually did all that work upfront at the top of the chain can you imagine how much time and despair it would save further down?

Devon lover

Who said I am no a she?? Women rules my lover.

Fixxer

Quote from: surlaroute on 11-10-20, 09:46PM
If they actually did all that work upfront at the top of the chain can you imagine how much time and despair it would save further down?

It'd be a lot quicker for filling yes, but the circumstances in our store mean that even on a quiet day with a small delivery we are generally at reasonably capacity in all the chillers and ambient stock areas for fresh. If it was split down more efficiently and with an aim to protect the cold chain then there wouldn't be any room. Christmas or any other heavier traffic time would be impossible.
Our store was built in the late 80's and even with expansion of the warehouse there's nowhere near enough room.

Stock is expected to be on the shop floor of course so storage will never be a priority, nobody is going to put money and effort into being able to store more things that shouldn't be there. As a result the only way to protect the cold chain has to be to increase the amount of staff working a cage.

Having said that though I shop at a local Morrisons most the time and they seem to typically have 2 or 3 people a time working a cage.

blueberet

Regularly broken in dot com, from the time an item is picked til the time it gets put back in the fridge or freezer must exceed 20 minutes on nearly every order. Not to mention the times that you come to load your van in the afternoon and you're missing a bunch of chilled trays and they have been sat with the ambient all morning or in the freezer. 9 times out of 10 they will still be loaded to the van and delivered to the customer.

Eggbert Nobacon

1 We know what we sell day for day being a CFC
2 Our main freezer has known dimensions
3 Christmas is coming
4 So why are we carrying more than we are selling ?
5 Waiting for a Rubber walled freezer to be installed
Been asking time and again Why? If you know your selling 100 bags of chips today why do we have 250 in stock My common sense tells me our freezer should be all but empty day after day

chris9997

The thing with the cold chain is that the company /mm will stick to it if it suits how many of you have seen the fridge/ freezer full and a delivery turn up which should be turned away but it is not. the person who states about a stop watch on the cage is just a very silly idea and the mm know this these are as you say pennies to buy but look at the pdas which are expensive (hense the fingerprint cabinet they are meant to be kept in) still get left /lost.

lordadmiral

@Eggbert Nobacon ....
Quick answer to why we have so much stock.
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/advantages-holding-large-amount-inventory-75437.html

And now:
Let say you need 10 cases of x product for monday, you receive 20 beacuse tesco bought it very cheap in bulk.
You are overloaded with work and have no time to replenish properly and you just put out 5 cases. So you have 15 cases left.
Then there is an error and you receive another 10 cases on tueasday instead of 5.
And now you stuck with 25 cases in warehouse to start with.
And on wednesday you receive another 20 cases ....
...and we could go on like that for next 100 years.

Redshoes

Many years ago we were told we were moving to "one touch fill", still waiting.
Additional stock will come in for promotions. It can also be a mistake or as a result of poor routines. There is a long, long list of reasons that this happens but we need to react to it in the right way. Ask someone from stock control to investigate, if book stocks are not correct that is the starting point to correct but it could be capacities etc.

Rockyandhardplace

Every single night without fail

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk