News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:08PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 282
Total: 284

Picker performance

Started by Lurker21, 15-01-20, 08:19PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katarn2000

Are we seriously saying pickers need to go to the toilet mid pick? I don't buy that except in very rare circumstances.

T.C.1

So what about ladies time of the month and a very weak bladder so yes they need the loo mid pick.

grim up north

Going to the toilet will be 'built in' to the times. It's what we're told in distribution

Paupers wage

Colleagues have to scan on a pick then go to toilet during the pick to keep non pick time down to 11% otherwise will be “managed” over non pick time, any info on legality would be welcome

dotnochance

Quote from: grim up north on 21-10-20, 09:58AM
Going to the toilet will be 'built in' to the times. It's what we're told in distribution
That’s completely not true for stores, you take 2-3 min to go to toilet you wont pull that trolly back. today I had a pick rate in the green for the entire day, last 4 or 5 trolleys where frozen and sub 30 items and I ended up in the red for the day I dropped like 30 points, there’s definitely something off with the numbers.
Just another point about pick I saw someone mention, since Covid location on items have been a complete joke in my store most items are off by one space or at worst a few shelf’s that slows pick down more than anything, bags are also not to be placed through back you have to scan out then place bags

Paupers wage

Now we’re back to 2nd lockdown will increased pick rate be reduced to maintain safe social distancing for all in store colleagues and customers  as was the case in the 1st pandemic phase

BarryZola

Social distancing should have been still in place since March. Are you telling me Tesco have become somewhat relaxed on this issue and have been compromising staff safety in return for higher pick-rates?  >:D :-X

lucgeo

Quote from: Paupers wage on 21-10-20, 11:24AM
Colleagues have to scan on a pick then go to toilet during the pick to keep non pick time down to 11% otherwise will be “managed” over non pick time, any info on legality would be welcome

Dunno about any legality, but being managed to use the toilet at a set time, is a contravention of your human rights, never mind " dignity at work " issues should you not make it in time.
Any manager telling you that you cannot go to the toilet, due to it affecting your pick rate...ask for it in writing, meanwhile you're either going to the toilet, or you're going home as you've just soiled yourself  :(
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

siamesal

Hi everyone

I'm still new to the role and I've been working at my local store as a picker during the Christmas period. It's the third week in and there's so much that I still don't know about the role but I know there's a lot of emphasis on the pick rate. Our store has a target of 181; it just seems so impossible to achieve, especially with social distancing. I've been pushing myself to reach that number but nothing seems to work - I don't talk to anyone on the shopfloor unless I can't find something, I don't take any toilet breaks and I'm a fast walker too. I understand that because I'm new, it'll take some time to work out where everything is but I usually find the items listed on the pick stick within two or so minutes so I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, I still end up getting a maximum of 150 as my pick rate. Most of the other people hit between 250-300 and I don't understand how? I feel like I'm doing a bad job compared to them and my manager said she'll be watching my pick rate from now on which is so pressurising. I just want to do a good job at the end of the day.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks on how to get the pick rate higher? Could someone give me some general info about dot-com that I wouldn't find out in-store? Also, what are the specific time constraints for each pick? What things should I be wary of with this role? A brief beginner's guide would be great honestly, I didn't have any proper training either. :(

I will be extremely grateful for any advice!!

Welshie

It's a really long time since I picked dotcom but 250-300 seems impossible to me . 150 for a few weeks into the job seems very good .

uklions

Been a dot com driver 17 years, did picking last week 25 items a hour they didn't ask me again!! lol

gomezz

Last pick I did was a three item frozen tray which was all that was stopping me taking my van out.  :)
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Jonathan1970

A senior manager in our store told one of the pickers that to get pick rate is there job, pandemic or no pandemic. 

Paupers wage

It’s a fact dot com pickers have to ignore any social distancing be it 2  or 1 metre makes no odds otherwise the high pick rate where liners have to be put in the trays and numerous date checks has to be done in the allotted time not forgetting going to the toilet, resulting in high department turnover, leaving or transferring to check outs

Welshie

Wait till shortages caused by Brexit kick in , it's only going to get worse .

Thinpatience

Quote from: siamesal on 28-12-20, 05:40PM
Hi everyone

I'm still new to the role and I've been working at my local store as a picker during the Christmas period. It's the third week in and there's so much that I still don't know about the role but I know there's a lot of emphasis on the pick rate. Our store has a target of 181; it just seems so impossible to achieve, especially with social distancing. I've been pushing myself to reach that number but nothing seems to work - I don't talk to anyone on the shopfloor unless I can't find something, I don't take any toilet breaks and I'm a fast walker too. I understand that because I'm new, it'll take some time to work out where everything is but I usually find the items listed on the pick stick within two or so minutes so I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, I still end up getting a maximum of 150 as my pick rate. Most of the other people hit between 250-300 and I don't understand how? I feel like I'm doing a bad job compared to them and my manager said she'll be watching my pick rate from now on which is so pressurising. I just want to do a good job at the end of the day.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks on how to get the pick rate higher? Could someone give me some general info about dot-com that I wouldn't find out in-store? Also, what are the specific time constraints for each pick? What things should I be wary of with this role? A brief beginner's guide would be great honestly, I didn't have any proper training either. :(

I will be extremely grateful for any advice!!

You have only just started so you shouldn’t be to worried about pick rates , concentrate on getting it right , don’t multi scan , look at dates , quality not quantity! Your dot com manager should be pushing you for that not pick rates , your pick rate will increase as you become more accustomed to your store , generally my pick rate is pretty much always in the amber or red lol  as I’ve told my dot com manger I will not put my self at risk so I social distance at all times & I make sure I check dates & quality of fresh produce ! Don’t be pushed by your superiors , I know a lot of dot  com pickers constantly multi scan , don’t look at dates , lazy don’t look for items other than where there supposed to be , to them pick rate is more important than getting it right !

If you look on your pick performance which should be done everyday & pinned up in dot com area ( colleague number only ) you will see the same  people with high pick rates but quality low & complaints ! 

forrestgimp

The last time I checked ( a few years ago mind) there was no legal obligation to allow you to go to the toilet the only legal obligation was to make one available.

Having said that not sure tesco would want the publicity from forcing colleagues to wear nappies to worlk to achieve unreasonable time and motion quotas.

chris9997

Didn’t sports direct distribution have some publicity regarding toilet breaks some time ago

londoner83

If anyone tries to manage you on pick rates ask the said manager to work alongside you for a shift to coach you how to improve. They will probably do all they can to avoid having to do so, and even if they do will probably struggle also especially if you are careful around dates and Wibi.

Ford Torino

As a backroom staff member who does the occasional pick, my managers have long known that while I'll take whatever trolley is required and do it as quickly as I can, I have no interest in chasing some arbitrary number that supposedly defines whether I'm good or bad at my job. However, I can still see the sheer unfairness of it! I did ask the other day that as it's Head Office who are supposedly keen on every individual picker achieving the pick rate, why trolleys of anything fewer than fifty items would even exist in the first place. For instance, if the first trolley you did take out was six multipacks of water, your pick rate is going to be incredibly low. Should you then have to work much harder than your colleagues just to achieve the same target by the end of the day?

The answer was along the lines of "Err...um...I know..."

gomezz

Surely picking just six items all the same would make for a very high pick rate?  Or have I misunderstood how the pick rate is calculated?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

Ford Torino

I don't know if this is the case for every store but certainly in ours you have to scan each trolley in and out at a start/end barcode in the department. Getting to and from the shop floor is included in your pick rate. And in the case of the water aisle, it's pretty much at the opposite end of the building!

Welshman381982

How on earth do you start a new topic on here chaps?

[mod]Ref: starting new topic. Please read VLH Supporter Benefits[/mod]

lol its me

My dot com dept just changed their hours back to normal from the covid hours, and brought back second pick. though they also changed the sat hours, used to be 5am starts now its 6, everone was told they cant start at 5 even though thats our contracts, they forced everyone to go to 6 instead of 5 (well apart from me i told them where to go) headoffice didnt even tell our store about the change just forced it though. anyone else get hours changed from 5-6

BarryZola

If they really wanted to they could make you change your 5 to a 6 start time. They may have to go down the official route through consultation or whatever which would buy you a few weeks but if the business needed you to just start 1 hour later that would be a 'reasonable' change. I wouldn't get too smug about it if I were you. You have to pick your battles and a change of 1 hour is not a battle I would bother fighting unless you honestly need that extra hour for an important reason. Your life though :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk