News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

20-05-24, 03:36AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 5,907
  • Latest: Old man
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,562
  • Total Topics: 647
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 36
Total: 36

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer100

I had to tell a trolley lad off last week, as he decided to wlk across the yard, behind m'wich when it was reversing!
I asked him if he had a death wish. He replied no, and then walked towards the wagon again, while it was still reversing.
I told him to come and stand by me while m'ich finished reversing.
I then reported it to my Mngr, and placed it in the safe and legal book.

Theflying_guillotine

yeah, i'm not too sure about the whole story on that one.  Was before my time, that one just ends up in conversation every so often

That is freakin' sweet

iworktoohard

almost an unusual accident today. Unloading fastway cages off a dav1 delivery. a full cage of magners. middle cage with a cage either side of it, as we pulled it out, a case fell off the back of it. it must of shook the booze so hard that a cap of one bottle shot off under the pressure, dented the roof of the trailer, and showered us in cider. not a single crack in the glass. but that bottle cap could of done some damage if you were in its path.

I was just hoping i didnt get stopped on my way driving home, smelling of cider :\

Geezer100

I had one today, bread trays pilled too far forward in yard, result when midd-comp swings round, he knocks them flying.
Agency driver realises, and helps me pick them up. No damage to trailer or unit. Details placed in safe and legal book, duty mngr informed. Bread staff told not to bunch all trays up in one area, and to spread them out.

Chairswan

At least the log book was used properly it can make all the difference :-[

Geezer100

CS - I placed it in there, in case there is any come back over the incident. I.E. if the driver reports it back at the DC, and Management start asking questions. I learn't a long time ago to cover my arse so to speak.

iworktoohard

A stack of timber knocked by a turning stobart the otherday, and cables snapping/getting pulled out of trailers whilst turning are becoming ever more common in my yard due to it being castrated by contractors during a refit. my RA is not very well adhered to at the moment, with 4 containers, 10 pallets of bricks, a dropped trailer, a forklift, and a jcb in my yard. all with 6 dot com vans!

Regional planning informed today to update store RA so that we get only 12m or smaller trailers for the next few weeks at least. shall get a picture on thursday. it is rather bad!

The Mrs

Can understand materials for the refit but 6 .com vans? They shouldn't be there anyway should they? Why can't they be moved?

The Mrs (Administrator)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much. Walter Lippman

ali p

I can remember being in the same position before receiving own yard for .com they have to go somewhere to be loaded and only have a limited time for reloading due to squedules. We did go through a phase loading on car park, that involved pushing piles of shopping through the store on dollies using fire exits negotiating ramps etc not to mention trying to avoid customers especially when they are tipping over.  All not good.  A lot of understanding and cooperation on everyones part is needed but tempers do fray and safety no longer is paramount but then this is tescos we are talking about. Never think things through or listen to the people that know. :(

iworktoohard

quote:
Originally posted by The Mrs

Can understand materials for the refit but 6 .com vans? They shouldn't be there anyway should they? Why can't they be moved?

The Mrs (Administrator)

Part of the refit is moving dot com and giving it its own yard, which is being delayed due to realising the gas main is right underneath it @_@

iworktoohard

Righto, a few pics to give you an idea of how tight it is. i really wish i took a pic while a lorry was attempting to turn around.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1271/panoramicsw4.jpg Standing at the gate entrance. (excuse my shoddy attempts of a panoramic photos).

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1865/image5ls9.jpg Standing on the ramp looking towards the gate. the loading bay currently in use is next to the dropped trailer on the right side of the photo.

Some periods of the day, no deliveries can come in at all due to the amount of contractor vehicles in the yard. That being said, the contractors have been very helpful as soon as a problem is identified, and rectifying it. IE, blocking fire exits with pallets of bricks    :P  

artic drivers of anything 12-13.6m long, have to turn around, stop mid turn, reverse back, and fully jackknife it around with the support of a backdoorman to make sure the rear end doesnt strike any of the skylifts/pallets/containers. after that its relatively simple to get onto the bay.

It could get worse, but am determined to stop it deteriorating further.

adspackman

You have a bigger yard than we do, even with all that c**p in there. However, ours looks like it would be a lot easier to get into than yours is at the moment. Unless .com are in the way.

iworktoohard

Wooops! another accident connected to the refit. other than a few bumped pallets, apparently walkers on monday reversed into a cherry picker (one of the extendable arm ones) and crushed the basket at the top! cost is circa £1k for a replacement :| glad i wasnt there :D

jb66

hmm, i'll try and get apicture of Broughton Roads Edinburghs yard (when we have RSU) quite tricky to get into

iworktoohard

a ditch... IN the yard?

a driver injured themselves at my store last week. no one was around at the time as they were pulling delivery around the corner. it is understood that they pulled a cage which wrapped around a strap, making it jolt still, and he fell. arm is now in a sling, and had to send drivers out to recover vehicle and driver. hope he gets well soon!

Chairswan

I've heard recently that due to changes in insurance cover backdoor checkers can enter the trailer to help the driver, that's helping to take cages onto the ramp of the dock leveller.

However if your store is a tail-lift backdoor then there isn't much you can do apart from helping the driver push/pull a dodgy pallet perhaps.  In theory this can speed up turnaround times, but if you're tail-lift, don't forget your turnaround is dictated by the speed of the tail-lift ie if it's slow it's slow. >:D

The Mrs

According to "Improving Store Turnaround Time" Store Staff are to be TRAINED to enter vehicles.

Have they already done that then? If they haven't the insurance is invalid.

The Mrs (Administrator)

iworktoohard

hella lot of trainers needed for 2000 stores, and to make sure all backdoor staff receive the training.

ponytail

word of mouth is that there is a training pack at each store for b-doormen. same as everything else, as tesco seem to thing that you can train a banksman with a 2-sided bit of card and a high-viz, i wouldn't be shocked if they think that it will work with this too. remember, if you sign for it, they regard you as trained whether you are or not, so don't sign for things you don't feel comfortable with.

oh, other interesting thing is that our designate for the future launch seems to be sitting on all the info for these things, anyone else having this problem?

"No, I didn't back that lorry into your pallets INTENTIONALLY, it was just a fringe benefit!"

Geezer100

A Mid-Comp wgon hit the wall on the corner when you turn in from the main road yesterday.
It wasn't his fault, there was two blokes and a van working on the drains, and due to the postion of the van, he had to swing past the van. He then caught the wall with the trailer.
Minor scrapes on trailer. Wall inspected by MM. A M1 builder called out to make it safe until some bricks can be bought to re-build it.

Geezer100

The driver that caused the damage (though not to blame) was back again today yesterday. (It's not tomorrow till I've gone to sleep). I pointed out the small pallet of bricks at the side of the yard, and said that they were fixing it tomorrow (today), and if he wanted to make a start he was more than welcome. He laughed.

Chairswan

The thing with builders/contractors etc.. is that they have their own rules, they don't care about the surroundings, as long as the job is done on time they're happy >:D

At one store which is having a new shopping complex built next to it, their contractors parked 6 vehicles in the backdoor yard restricting access to delivery wagons.>:(
It was only when the duty manager was called out to have a look & a phonecall to the site manager, everything scrammed ;D

beentheredoneit

Had our Duty Managers training on back door the other day at joint team planning meeting. An A4 laminated card saying what we knew before - plus that trained back door staff are now permitted to use the tail lift control and enter the trailer - if requested to by the driver.

It was well timed as the very next day several of us had to enter the vehicle to clear up the smashed stock caused by a row of cages not being strapped!!! - we eventually decided that perhaps. as they caused the problem, Lichfield would be best able to clear it up - so we sent the half empty lorry back to them.

It is so reassuring that the company plan their training so well!

beentheredoneit
beentheredoneit

Geezer100

Wiseman wagon hit two cages full of card in my yard today.
Cages are now suitable for one place only...scrap yard.
Will try to get pictures of the cages tomorrow.
Perhaps now the boss will realise the reefer container in the yard being used for junk is a daft idea, time to get rid.

Chairswan

Heard any outcomes about the incident Geezer ???
As it's a Wiseman wagon, they'll have to put up for the bill.
Has anyone realised how inexperienced some Wiseman drivers are[?]:-x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk