Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 05:16PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,427
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 80
Total: 82

Availability for new starters?or existing staff with over 15 years service?

Started by Hotdog1, 07-03-24, 04:52PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotdog1

hi, So I applied for more hours and got them, now I'm being asked to give hours in  availability?
 Thought this was for new starters?. or is it being done as I will be signing a new contract?
Worked for Tesco for over 15 years.
 Thanks all

rupert7

Hello! It's great to hear that you've secured more hours at Tesco. Let me provide some information based on your situation:

Flexible Working Policy:
Tesco has recently updated its Flexible Working Policy. This policy allows colleagues to request flexible working arrangements from the very beginning of their employment, rather than waiting for six months. It's designed to accommodate various needs, such as childcare, personal interests, and family responsibilities1.
You can now discuss your preferred working hours and availability with your manager, even if you're not a new starter. This flexibility aims to create a healthy work-life balance for all colleagues.
Contractual Guarantees:
Tesco is committed to providing certainty and flexibility. For new recruits, the company contractually guarantees a minimum of 16 hours per week. Additionally, if you regularly work overtime, you have the right to request a contract that reflects your actual working hours2.
Availability and New Contract:
The request for your availability might be related to your new contract. As you've been with Tesco for over 15 years, it's possible that they want to align your availability with any changes in your contract.
I recommend discussing this directly with your manager to clarify the details and ensure a smooth transition.
Remember, Tesco values its colleagues' well-being and aims to accommodate their needs. Feel free to reach out to your manager or HR for further guidance. Congratulations on your extended hours, and best wishes for your continued journey at Tesco!

eversor

Colleagues who pick up more contracted hours will need to give x1.5 availability for the additional hours (and not x1.5 for all the colleague's hours).  For example, someone contracted to 10 hours, who is increased to 16 hours, would need to give 1.5x availability for the extra 6 hours.  (If they cannot offer all the availability, we may still be able to offer the hours at a reduced level of availability, for example x1.3 the additional contracted hours where a colleague is limited to the hours they can work, and the availability they can offer is where we have amber hours).

Taken off of colleague help for the 'new' contract 2022, regarding increasing contracted hours for all staff.  When the new contract came out, it was only for the current number of hours that availability wasn't required

oldfashionedplayer

As eversor said all new hours even if you went from 15 to 16 hours you'd have to provide some availability however you can always argue the fact of change of circumstances etc such as childcare as to reasons you can't give the availability to get out of it once you've secured it  :)

Availability is also an ever-changing thing and rotas are done 3 weeks in advance, so you can always be updating your availability for the next 4 weeks of not available for the times they need too.. Its not like it's a forcible thing, at the end of the day if you've got commitments (they don't have to know  you don't) you can play it to your advantage.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk