News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:22PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,120
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 298
Total: 303

Pandemics & Tesco's policy

Started by Orangutan, 24-02-20, 09:51AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rad

Phoneshop guy, oh will check if you've moved into the extremely vulnerable camp or if your current condition means any adjustments need to be made to your work pattern, job role etc.

Redshoes

Adjustments are also the changes that have been made in stores, as in one way, alcohol gel, face masks etc. The store has changed since people went off twelve weeks ago. Any changes made are adjustments to support people coming back, then add in the personal ones. It could be that someone would prefer to work on a till behind the screens.

Abarai360

Cant figure out how to make a new topic so gonna post on here hoping people are still reading..
So I was isolating due to to my partner having Corona symptoms from 7th June to 16th June (6 shifts)
We both took tests that came back negative, but we read that 1 in 5 tests can be a false negative and as my partner had every symptom besides the fever we rang 111 for advice. They spoke to him for 30 mins and told us with his symptoms he should isolate for 7 days and myself for the 2 weeks.
My boss, because I tested negative told me I will not be paid at all.  I have the isolation note from the NHS telling me to stay home, but come today when I get my payslip, I'm missing the 2 weeks pay, don't even have statutory sick pay. What can I do? I rang the HR department and they said I should get the pay if I have the sick note.
Boss was communicating with me through messenger about this and once I mentioned the note again, just didn't reply at all and now I'm down £300.

[mod]Ref: new topic, please read VLH Supporter Benefits[/mod]

oldfashionedplayer

Put in a complaint about it, go higher than your manager, as if you've got the note you should be paid for the isolation and keep in contact with the store in regards to when your returning.

NightAndDay

Another example of mateyboy mickey mouse Tesco Managers going gung ho with Tesco policy.

Mr Brightside 24

So with a rise in infections and deaths why have Tesco decided to go back to normal opening hours and increased the pick rate. This will only put more people at risk as they try to hit targets. Is their anyone above store level who we can complain to, either Tesco or Government body?

lucgeo

It's the government, or should we say " the blond buffoon " who is steering the stinking, rat infested, plague carrying, sinking ship. Lockdown is easing, stores are opening up, pubs are opening up, and come August we'll all be back in lockdown and another few thousand will have died needlessly >:(

The senior medical advisors have raised concerns of a second peak, due to easing restrictions too quickly...which is totally ignored by team Boris and Dominic "DomBor" a.k.a. "Dumber".

They've told stores etc. to open up and trade as normal, the buck stops with them!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

barafear

The Govt appear to be leaving it up to the common sense of the British Public to adhere to the "new guidelines" (1m+ from Saturday in terms of social distancing, and wear face coverings if you feel like it in situations where you cannot keep distance).

Clearly, this is open to interpretation - i.e. what constitutes common sense for one person looks like complete idiocy to someone else. And again. it's very much down to personal experiences - yes, of course it's terrible that approx 50,000 people have died from it, but it does seem unless you've been personally affected (relative/friend/yourself suffered), then a lot of people (maybe not a majority but a large minority) do not seem unduly concerned.
Bit of a blanket statement here - but once furlough scheme ends - then a lot of people will simply want to be able to earn (if there's any jobs available).

Yes, of course we have the rush to the beaches so far - and no doubt, there will be a "rush" to the pubs this weekend by some -

anyway - how does that impact Tesco?

Well, the most obvious change in Tesco appears to be the lack of numbers entering (seemingly - few local stores I have visited) - there's still a single queue for the tills but no queue outside - so more people gathered inside where the risk is greater - but this suits Tesco doesn't it? No visible deterrent to stop outside (no queue) - no need to have anyone on the door (staff saving) - and potentially more sales/profit etc.

From a staffing point of view - what can we do to complain - if it's clearly a head office directive, not much point in complaining to store management?

I guess we all need to follow the Govt advice - try to keep 1m+ apart - wear facemasks (provided by Tesco) - etc.etc.

Or don't come to work - but not sure what absence options you have.

Talking about that - slightly off tangent - this new track and trace thing - all seems a bit "fanciful" - how are Tesco viewing that?

So, listening to radio adverts about it, it seems I could get a call from the NHS telling me I had been in contact with someone who has contracted the virus - not sure they tell me who the person is, or even where I came into contact with them - but then I am REQUIRED to self isolate for 14 days - and the radio advert states "that means no going to work , no visits to the shops, no friends visiting etc." - so seems even more stringent that the initial lockdown where "shopping for essentials" was an allowable reason to leave the house - so, if I get that call, I phone in sick to Tesco and I get full pay for those 14 days? Or if I'm lucky I'll get SSP (about 1/3rd of normal pay), or I'll get nothing (or need to take AL).

So, in this scenario, let's say the person who has caught it works in Tesco with me - so all Tesco staff on shifts with that person will also get the same phone call?
What about customers - will they trace customers with their clubcard data? Or GPS through their phones?

Could be an awful lot of people "self isolating for 14 days" just to prevent the possible spread.

I understand the science behind it - but the economics of it make no sense. If it happened to Tesco, would they have to ramp up their Covid Temp recruitment again?

Mr Brightside 24

Surely as a company/store level they should/could keep the 8am opening time as this at least gives pickers a bit of a chance with pick rate, and less time trying to dodge customers (our store still hasn't corrected the flow for pickers, so they are still having to pick backwards down every aisle yet their was an increase in the pick rate target. This on top of the increase of customers from 70 to 110. Seems to me like Tesco as a company can't care less about the health and safety of their dot com staff

Nomad

If one member of staff on a shift tests positive then all staff on that shift should be required to isolate for 14 days.  It's the only logical decision for safety of staff and customers.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

dotnochance

Lol my store has had way more than 70 customers at most times

oldfashionedplayer

well from the keeping britain fed thing that tesco posted about, they start with an initial 50 people think it was then ramp it up after the 40 dotcom leave to 110 or so? i'd have to check again but theres far more than that in ours anyhow. and I agree with Nomad, Anyone on the same shift should be required to isolate, otherwise they are possibly infecting more and more.

dotnochance

I’ve just seen on the news (Scotland) only caught tail end of it but it said face mask will be mandatory in shops, does this include Tesco? Also I’ve got asthma and can’t realy wear one

Welshie

Medical exemptions apply .

Cal1607

Moral in my store is a rock bottom. Store letting far too many customers in the store. Overtime is cut to a minimum everywhere except dot com and from next week we are apparently getting rid of the outside queue so the masses will be allowed to enter freely. There's constant queues at the checkouts easily 4/5 deep most of the day but this is now seen as the new normal. Its just not safe for the staff working or customers.

penguin

Customer informed us today "this shop is the only one still doing this rubbish" when asked to wait outside due to the numbers in store, followed by "and just so you know coronavirus is actually nearly over now and everyone has to go back to normal from Saturday anyway its the law" this is the sort of attitude that will cause another spike in the infections and put us all back into a full lockdown.

As for stores allowing unlimited numbers in, and social distance rules to be ignored then complaints need to go in, health and safety grievance at the very least, one thing I will say about the shop I work in is this is still taken very seriously hence the annoyed customer we had today at being asked to wait.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

lucgeo

And to that customer I would have replied...
"Tell that to the grieving families, who couldn't be with, or hold their loved ones that died alone last night, and the ones who will continue to die alone, until there is a vaccine!"

barafear

As per my previous request, who do we complain to?
If the "no queue outside" rule has come from Head office, our hands are tied.
Are Tesco really putting themselves at risk of the wrath of the HSE? Presumably, by having signs informing customers of social distancing requirements, this meets the minimum standards required - then it's up to customers whether you want to come into Tesco or not.

Won't it be the same for pubs?Are we to believe that within a few weeks we won't have someone in a pub turning round and saying "Oi, you spilt my pint mate!!"

lucgeo

Have you spoken to your health and safety rep?

Hammer10

Free for all today just wait till they have to isolate all staff.

barafear

Quote from: lucgeo on 03-07-20, 12:48PM
Have you spoken to your health and safety rep?

Rep? As in Union?
Or store?

If we have a Health and Safety Rep in store, they've been keeping their head well down for many a year - I've forever been complaining (in vain) about the air con (either freezing cold for weeks on end, or like an oven, normally in the middle of a heatwave!!) - I have asked who I should complain to - and get told "Head office control that" - and any "complaint" is simply through my manager - and then I rarely get any response.

But when I commented on the "free for all " in our store a couple of weeks ago, I was told the directive came from the SM and deputy SM.

As Hammer says - "wait till we all need to self isolate"

lucgeo

A health & safety rep is for the store, they're independent, so not necessarily a union rep.
You're H&S rep should be named on the union notice board.
They attend all Union and forum meetings, and they have a reserved seat on the store forum.

dairyfresh

One way system goes next week and amount allowed in increases

Welshie

I think most areas of the UK are now at 1+metres social distancing so it was only a matter of time before they increased numbers allowed in .
I was out (unusual for me) earlier in the week at B&Q , they had someone at the door spraying peoples hands with sanitizer which I thought was good and much as i believe that all customers should have to were masks(medical exemptions being applied)  i really dont think i could work in one all day .

dotnochance

my store is going back to 24 hours and one way system is going

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk