Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 11:59AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Can I go on SSP before disciplinary?

Started by WinterSilver, 12-11-20, 11:09PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WinterSilver

Hi.
Basically I’m having my 3rd investigation meeting in 2 months every one of them different things, there’s a new store manager in my store and she’s been hard with everyone I work 2 jobs and my wife just had a baby and having managers after me is giving me stress, so I’m planning on going on sick pay for couple weeks due to stress but im having an investigation meeting this Saturday coming, shall i go on fit note now and only attend the meeting on Saturday or work till the investigation meeting and then go on fit note?

[admin]Welcome to VLH, but please do not post same question in two threads. I have merged them for you.[/admin]

notsofunny

I would say go in and tell them your problems including the fact that you are stressed about every thing get it on record ,let them come up with how they can support you with a plan to do it ,

Going off sick will only be putting things off till you return , on top of which you will be stressing yourself when you are off sick  thinking about what will happen when you go back ,

At the end of it if you want then you could always go sick afterwards ,

Thats my take on it , all the best ,,

NightAndDay

If you're on sick leave then it would be out of your control and you wouldn't and shouldn't be expected to attend the meeting, they should reschedule to a time you're fit and able to attend. If possible it would be better to go after the investigation.

Fixxer

I agree.

Going on sick before is just going to put it off and mean you spend an extra couple of weeks thinking about it which will make the problem worse.
The best thing to do in this situation is tell them right away, say that the fact it's going on is making you feel stressed, ask for a referral to occupational health about it and tell them you are consulting your doctor. They need to understand the impact that things are having and help you try to manage it properly.

If you don't tell them properly (rather than just saying you're feeling stressed etc) and then just go to the docs and get signed off they'll think you're trying to avoid dealing with what they are seeing as problems (whatever the disciplinary is for)

A bit of clarity helps everyone and will make you feel better too.

Best of luck.

Redshoes

They can hold wellness meetings but you would get a phone call to arrange this followed by a letter to confirm. This is aimed at long term absence but can be used under the mental health heading too as its a longer easier route but it's still part of the disciplinary pack.
The meetings will catch up with you. You can't avoid them. It adds to your stress so you need a good rep to take in with you. As advised on the other post you have made you need to think about agreeing to go down the occupational health route. They start off with a phone consultation and the wait time is 1-2 weeks just now. You need an adjustment passport too. This is for you to fill in but you may need help from work. There is an example one available to help.
What you do now will depend on what is causing your stress. In one form or another the meeting will continue. The best you can hope to achieve is delaying them, the will just be held with you on a higher percentage and if you are stressed and worried about this you are going to have it hanging over you during your absence. If you hold meeting and you get anything more than next steps this will escalate for the next meeting when you come back.
Did you have paternity leave? if not you could ask for this.
Have you booked all your holidays for this year? If not you can see if you can squeeze in a short term notice holiday.
You need firstly a good rep who can talk to you outside of meetings and support you within. I think you should then go the adjustment passport and OH route. Both these things are to support you into being able to come to work. It's a box ticked on the company side of things but on your side it will make the situation run smoother and in a more gentle way. Next steps should be to wait fir OH referral recommendations. Then once the recommendations are in place you need to attend work or you will continue down the disciplinary route. I have no idea what the recommendations will be, the stores only have to try and accommodate them too. For example they can't move someone out of a job to give to you but they can support with extra breaks, a move of dept if there is a relevant dept that is under hours or ideas about a change to working environment, as in an aid to help you do a task.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk