Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:19PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,120
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 298
Total: 303

Dot Com Driver seeking clarification regarding departmental store policies

Started by Kev77, 11-09-20, 03:18PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev77

Hello to all,

I have been a full time Dotcom delivery driver for one year following redundancy in my previous job.

This is my first driving job.

At first I found the job incredibly frustrating coping with the dark nights,getting lost,and the reach not functioning properly (which happened frequently and still does!) but that improved over time becoming familiar with routes ,getting used to driving full time and just generally getting into my own routine.

Since August last year their have been plenty of department changes and I was wondering if it is store specific or nationwide.

Here is a list of changes my Dotcom department has had in the last 12 months

Dotcom going bagless (before covid)
The implimentation of Lightfoot
Not being able to clock in more than 5 minutes early for your shift
We now have to load our vans in the morning,that started this week
And in the last week all drivers have been told NOT TO DELIVER EARLY,so if you arrive at a drop for example at 3.55pm you now cannot deliver until the allotted delivery time (4pm-5pm),up until recently drivers were allowed to deliver up to an hour early provided you got prior consent from the customer

One major gripe I have always had is with my weekly shifts,I currently work 3 9am-7pm shifts and 2 4 hour backshifts Friday and Saturday.I would dearly love to work 4 9am-7pm shifts and scrap the backshifts entirely however Tesco say that is not possible which I don't understand.Why can't Tesco hire drivers who solely work dayshifts and drivers who only work backshifts.How hard can it be to implement in a store?

I don't know of any driver that genuinely enjoys working a 4 hour back shift.

Any thoughts and comments from fellow drivers would be grately appreciated.

Cheers

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

rogerthedodger

Someone’s yanking you’re chain lad you shouldn’t be loading your morning vans only lunch, someone’s saving picking hrs!!! Get a union bid or grievance in soon be sorted, as for evening  shifts it’s well known they are pointless for vast majority and pre covid a plan was on Trial to solve I’d imagine will be sorted at some point

gomezz

I would ask to see in writing the official change to the policy of being allowed to deliver up to an hour early (with the prior agreement of the customer).  Don't hold your breath though.

To be honest during lockdown and even now I rarely bother contacting a customer first especially if they have made a note that they are shielding or isolating.  That said I rarely bother delivering early anyway during a day shift in the week and only when on a evening or weekend shift when it gives you a chance to knock off early.  In fact been doing a voluntary overtime shift on Sunday evenings to help out and I usually go in an hour early to move the whole route an hour earlier.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

danielj

We've always loaded our vans in the morning at our store except for April to August when we had temps inshore. Now the temps are gone its back to how it was.

On a 9/7 shift im loading the van 3 times a day.

blueberet

As Roger says loading the vans in the morning is covered by the picking hours. How are you expected to be able to come in on the hour have a team 5 do all your van checks and load your van in 15 minutes, that simply is not possible. Do it all by the book make sure you have your full hour lunch break and don't rush around to 'catch up' all 3 waves will be leaving late then calls will be going undelivered, customers complaining is a quick way for changes to be made.

Not sure why you are not allowed to deliver early, we can still do that. Since you don't know any drivers who enjoy working evening shifts how do you think that they will be able to recruit drivers that want to solely work evenings? Full time hours in dot com have always been 3 day shifts and 2 nights.

Andymac1111

With reply to the not clocking in 5 minutes before your shift. This is down to the scheduler tablet. If you clock in early or late it reduces the amount of hours the store has to give for overtime that week. But even that's wrong it's not 5 minutes it's 3 minutes

gomezz

What if you clock in half an hour early and clock out an hour or more early?  Which is typically what I have been doing for Sunday evening overtime shifts to help out over the current crisis.

uklions

Each Dot com has allotted hours for vans to be loaded in MORNINGS! can deliver up to 1 hour early if phone customer but most don't bother during the pandemic, and i do 3 days 9pm till 7pm mon,tue,wed, and 2 evenings 6pm till 10pm thursday and friday,evenings don't bother me as can have a lay in, JUST CARRY A TORCH FOR THE DARK NIGHTS lol,and that is correct no more then 3 min early to clock in

cddriver

Same for us, although we've always loaded our own vans. As for delivering early, all they're bothered about is reach usage percentages etc, deliver them early and sign the reach yourself in the correct slot.

johnven

Don't fiddle the sds ever, it's gross misconduct. Deliver early follow the policy and call customer. Tell your manager to read said policy and do one.

MisterT

Do all CDDs work in store if they are back early at night ???

gomezz

This one doesn't.  But then I am flexible in being willing and able to cover overtime shifts at short notice and at a time of life when I am not fussed about losing a few paid hours here and there.

danielj

Quote from: johnven on 15-09-20, 04:55PM
Don't fiddle the sds ever, it's gross misconduct. Deliver early follow the policy and call customer. Tell your manager to read said policy and do one.

Don't fiddle the sds in what way? Surely your not getting customers to sign for their deliveries?

We just stick a tick in the box once the delivery is done.

gomezz

I think they meant delaying marking the delivery as done until later when it will show as being within the delivery slot.  That could be done regardless of the customer signing or the the driver signing for them (as is the current procedure as an anti-contamination measure).

cddriver

Customer sign for their shopping? I haven’t asked anyone to do that for years. I sign it myself in the correct hourly slot, leave about 5 mins in between each one so it doesn’t lower the usage percentage. If it’s gross misconduct we’re going to need 30+ new drivers because that’s the way it’s always been here for us. They don’t care as long as the scores are good.

boris82

Anybody know whats going on with click and collect instores just lost the early collection  now its been replaced with a 8-9 slot its gone from 9-11 11-1 1-3 3-5 5-7 7-9 slots to 8-9 hour gap 10-11 hour gap 12-1 etc etc last slot is 2000-2100 no one in my store has any idea

boris82

dotnochance

Obviously Tesco are making to much money so they have to f*** it up somehow

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk