News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:01PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 293
Total: 299

The Hub

Started by beentheredoneit, 13-08-19, 04:03PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poorrotation1

No my store has it at the entrance, notifying staff and customers alike. Like i said please reference the act to support your point about specific areas and cameras.
The sign informing all parties covers the act, whether someone chooses to read or ignore is up to them.

alf

Also worth pointing out stores had new cctv signage put up relatively recently changing the purpose of cctv.

So I can't comment on other stores, but the signage is everywhere here.

Whistleblower

Have these signs Alf got information about who is looking at the cctv coverage and their contact details,the signs at the entrance do not cover the act if they do not have these details,
We can argue between ourselves about the hub, but tesco s in my eyes have not been transparent about cctv in the workplace and that s why numerous posts have queried it

And has stated numerous times tesco have to tell you why cctv coverage is being used,and if they do ,they are the only things you can be disciplined for.

Let's have a poll , as any tesco management gone through cctv policy with you and you have signed any record of this conversation.        No

alf

I'm in the same boat as poor rotation, I've skimmed over the act and ico guidance for past issues, and I've not seen what you have mentioned in either.

Whistleblower

from data protection act

1   signage should be clearly visible and readable. it will also need to show details of the organisation operating the system,the purpose of its use and who to contact if there any queries

2 all staff should know what to do and who to contact if a member of the public enquires about the cctv system,any signs in a public area must show the organisation or authority responsible for the systems,

so if a member of the public enquired about the cctv system , i would go to the manager who is responsible for the cctc systems (data controller) so everyone who is your data controller in your store,because another part of the act is that the store has to be transparent about cctv coverage, where all the cameras are and the reasons why the are being used,tesco should have giving all staff a written policy on cctv coverage and you have signed to understand this policy,and from previous posts about the hub this has nt happened as it

alf

Those aren't copied from the act itself or from the ico.

So I had a check, this is from ICO's CCTV checklist.

"You should display signs showing that CCTV is in operation. Where it is not obvious who is responsible for the system, you should ensure there are contact details displayed on the sign(s).

Make signs the right size and location so that a person is aware that they are being observed, and given as much warning as possible. Such transparency may also have a deterrent effect in itself.

Outline the use of CCTV and its purposes on your website (where applicable)."

Whistleblower

Alf,do you know what to do if a member of the public comes up to next time you are in work and has a query about the stores cctv system,this is a part of ico s code,  page 38 ico code of practise for surveillance cameras
And its not obvious that. You are being recorded as most customers would think that the cctv coverage is being watched in store and not elsewhere, do you know where the hub is situated

Whistleblower

The employment practises code _ ico  page 58 monitoring at work

alf

I found that, and it is interesting.

for the first part,

"Signs do not need to say who is operating the system if this is obvious. If a surveillance system is installed within a shop, for example, it will be obvious that the shop is responsible."

Regardless of the hub system, I feel tesco are meeting that statement, although we may just have to agree to disagree, until when/if you get clarification.

"All staff should know what to do or who to contact if a member of the public makes an enquiry about the surveillance system."

This is the interesting part due to it's vagueness, it's pretty open to interpretation.

If someone asked me about CCTV I'd direct them to a manager specifically duty, I'd argue that falls under knowing  "who to contact". Or better yet, by all staff, does it mean all staff who operate the CCTV equipment, or literally every member of staff regardless of involvement.

Due to the vagueness I fully expect people to have their own interpretation.

And to complicate the whole situation further, the code of practice is a document of good practice, it's not  legally binding, that's the job of the actual DPA.

"The basic legal requirement on each employer is to comply with the Act itself. The code is designed to help. It sets out the Information Commissioner's recommendations as to how the legal requirements of the Act can be met. Employers may have alternative ways of meeting these requirements but if they do nothing they risk breaking the law."

I wish you the best in your complaint, because I am genuinely curious on the result regardless of the outcome.

Whistleblower

Your right Alf some may agree with me and vice versa , but I have no problems with the cctv and tesco can have as many as they want but my main problem is the lack of information, if you work on the tills they should be told why the camera's are there and what maybe a disciplinary issue, same with warehouse personnel and floor staff
Also giving info on who is watching and who to contact if they have any issues with it
I don t get to hear what happens with my complaint with ico ,I will only know if things change in store or if it comes in their yearly report that if tesco s broke any rules and were fined.
                 But how hard was it for tesco to have a cctv policy to insure that staff knew that was expected from them rather than treat them like mushrooms,(kept in the dark and Fed on s***)  over and out

forrestgimp

I am interested in how you get on, If you could keep us in the loop it would be appreciated.

poorrotation1

I just feel you are looking into the act too deeply. The signs states cctv is in use to protect staff and customers safety and to prevent loss. They are the basis to the use of it.
As to a colleague knowing what they might face disciplinary action for from a camera.. Conduct policies are quite readily available from our tesco. I know what i can and can't do when I work.
For example..
If i give a product away, I know i shouldn't do that and I know Tesco are recording to prevent loss because they've warned me when I came in.

I simply struggle to believe that your interpretation of the data protection act and its application to CCTV use can be so amiss from Tesco's legal professionals who would have worked with and seeked guidance from all manner of appropriate people including the regulators to ensure they met requirements.
Had the company been so far wrong with their application I'm sure it would have been picked up long before you raised a complaint.

We will never know if your store falls short of the act but as far as I can interpret, Tescos application of their CCTV systems and relevant notice meets the Act appropriately.

Whistleblower

Well you need tesco legal professionals  if you think highly of them to have a look at why canteens are being cleaned by contract staff with no food / health and safety training, and maybe employment law while they are at it

NightAndDay

Quote from: poorrotation1 on 24-10-19, 06:30PM
I just feel you are looking into the act too deeply. The signs states cctv is in use to protect staff and customers safety and to prevent loss. They are the basis to the use of it.
As to a colleague knowing what they might face disciplinary action for from a camera.. Conduct policies are quite readily available from our tesco. I know what i can and can't do when I work.
For example..
If i give a product away, I know i shouldn't do that and I know Tesco are recording to prevent loss because they've warned me when I came in.

I simply struggle to believe that your interpretation of the data protection act and its application to CCTV use can be so amiss from Tesco's legal professionals who would have worked with and seeked guidance from all manner of appropriate people including the regulators to ensure they met requirements.
Had the company been so far wrong with their application I'm sure it would have been picked up long before you raised a complaint.

We will never know if your store falls short of the act but as far as I can interpret, Tescos application of their CCTV systems and relevant notice meets the Act appropriately.

Tesco fails on a lot of aspects of health and safety, their legal beagles are head office wonks, they make the policies to abide by their understanding of the law, they don't have the R or the A to enforce it however, that falls down to the SM, most of which are very gung-ho Jim'll fix it when it comes to policy.

kaled78

we have just had a .com picker dismissed due to a hub investigation,she subbed finest items for lower priced items(despite the lower priced items being in stock),for a certain customer on a regular basis and was spotted

letmego

Sounds like your .com picker is telling pork pies. Definitely more to this than she is telling you, sacked for a .com sub really  :P

lucgeo

Yes she would be dismissed if it was a regular occurrence of subbing a finest, higher priced item for the lower priced one, that was in stock...obviously she knew the customer and it had flagged up as a regular occurrence, other pickers and the manager would become aware from the bookstocks that the lower priced item was in stock.

It's the same as if a checkout operator was putting higher priced items through a lower priced item to scan e.g. Multiples of 12x bottle of wine, scanning one lower priced one, and the remaining 11 were finest!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Preacherpauly

Quote from: kaled78 on 29-10-19, 08:03AM
we have just had a .com picker dismissed due to a hub investigation,she subbed finest items for lower priced items(despite the lower priced items being in stock),for a certain customer on a regular basis and was spotted

How did this dotcom picker keep getting the same customers pick to do this to?

kaled78

there was a codeword used in the comments when ordered,so she knew it was her friends pick,they had been watching her for a while,as other pickers noticed she was ignoring in stock products and suggested subs and subbing with high value items

Jobless

;) No point paying full price when you can get premium brands at Aldi prices

Redshoes

Cleaner1
Not the point and comment does not help but many thanks for trying.

Fair play

Quote from: kaled78 on 29-10-19, 05:19PM
there was a codeword used in the comments when ordered,so she knew it was her friends pick,they had been watching her for a while,as other pickers noticed she was ignoring in stock products and suggested subs and subbing with high value items

She deserves to have been dismissed if that is the case .
Why would you do that 🤷???

Preacherpauly

Quote from: kaled78 on 29-10-19, 05:19PM

Its crazy what people would do for so called friends.

kaled78

we had a pfs colleague caught on the hub doing sodoku puzzles at quiet times between customers,she wasn't sacked,but got a written warning

lucgeo

8-) For what ???  What's she supposed to do in quiet times?? Pretend she's busy and faff around tidying what don't need tidying, go and face up that one pint of milk space?? If the work wasn't done and she's doing puzzles, then it's a management issue, reminding all their team that the stock should be worked and routines completed, monitor it, and follow the set disciplinary procedures.

There's nothing wrong in doing a crossword puzzle, reading a book or magazine, or whatever whilst there are no customers and all tasks completed. I would think ecouragement to keep the mind active, rather than have colleagues bored out of their brains, passing that negativity onto the customer whilst serving them!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk