News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:56PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,119
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 309
Total: 313

Company Pension

Started by The Mrs, 11-02-06, 12:10AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shafted

What have the so called "trustees" been doing while this goes on?

OpShunned

Quote from: Joloda on 28-12-14, 08:22PM

Well, they are there to ensure that the scheme is run in a healthy and transparent manner. They exercise the right to ask any difficult questions to ensure that the integrity of the pension scheme is maintained in the interest of its contributors (us). The operational part of the term 'trustee' is probably 'trust'. Therefore, we may trust those in charge of the fund to be of the utmost personal integrity possible. If they observe shortcomings, or hear of any perceived mishandling they are obliged to address it immediately. I think we are at the stage where serious questions need to be asked as to why the hole has been allowed to grow at the same time as profits were allegedly overinflated? We need assurances that the hole will be plugged in the next 10/15 years even if it is at the expense of gross profits. Who are the the boardroom intent on saving? Is it us the pensioners of the future or the shareholders?

OpShunned

Quote from: Joloda on 28-12-14, 08:22PM

Oh and did I mention once again that the company merely set aside 3/4 million last year as a hole filler, instead of the 150 million that they had pledged to implement? So yeah, you're right. what are the trustees doing while this is allowed to happen? Shall we start naming the trustees on this site?

The Mrs

Bella

Pension forecast via a friend of mine - If this person takes pension on 16th January rather than the 17th January they would be better off by £272.48 per annum and this is someone who worked for the company nearly 11 years.  It is evidential that T**sco pension pots are reducing for those not taking early retirement and would this set a president that people should be considering early retirement rather than leaving it to fulfilment of the plan in and around of the age of 67 for those who are over 55 currently.  Lets face it with the sink hole and the way t**sco going it begs the question of where they money has gone or is going......  >:( 

the-vortex

QuoteDave Lewis, chief executive of Tesco, is considering closing the retailer's defined-benefit pension scheme to new members ...

Not really a surprise to be honest. 
Loyalty is a one-way street!

wheelspin

I cant get it till the end summer as I am not in 3 years yet.   I was counting on it to be honest.   

I hope Dave sets a late date for its closure .   

It looks like I may be ok though.   The Final Salary Pension Scheme is for pre 2007 staff only.   Maybe he will leave the other care pension scheme alone as its not as big a payer as the other. 

Sky News link  http://news.sky.com/story/1403958/city-awaits-tesco-chiefs-turnaround-plan

Sources confirmed that Mr Lewis will also announce plans to save hundreds of millions of pounds annually by cutting head office costs, which will trigger significant job cuts, as well as closing its final salary pension scheme.

troll-hunter

Can anyone explain the effects of closing the defined benefits pension please?
Main guess ...... we lose out but how badly?
If not a stupid question ....will contributions to date still be paid as a defined benefit pension or will everything be moved to whatever is to follow it?

OpShunned

[admin]We ask that people don't bother quoting the post immediately above their own, thankyou,and you beat me to posting the same link by seconds :)[/admin]
This may help a little
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1535150/Final-salary-pensions-The-facts.html

troll-hunter

interesting articles thank you

spirit

>:D
I wonder what the effect of closing the Pension scheme will have to our pensioners?

Bug

None, only future pension offer is affected.

spirit

Quote from: Bug on 08-01-15, 01:45PM
None, only future pension offer is affected.

Thank you. This was my interpretation, but nice, very nice to have it confirmed.

Twinkeltoes1

But will it be frozen this yearie no pension increase

Wallace

is their a two tier retirement age at Tesco
for example
60 for senior team, store managers, and above
67 for customer assistants and team leaders

notsofunny

notsofunny

Was thinking ???

As a Benefit In the company Pension, We get a death in service award, ok my wife will get it,

But if they close the Pension will that also mean that this will be another benefit we will lose :question:

Could be another hit we will be taking on to of all the others :(

They have not said any thing about it,

iceman

Quote from: troll-hunter on 08-01-15, 08:20AM
Can anyone explain the effects of closing the defined benefits pension please?
Main guess ...... we lose out but how badly?
If not a stupid question ....will contributions to date still be paid as a defined benefit pension or will everything be moved to whatever is to follow it?

Everything earned so far will be paid as defined benefit. Everything earned afterwards will be defined contribution, which transfers the risk factor of investment returns from the company to us the employee. And in a stagflationy inviroment such as nowadays, with negative real terms interest rates compaired to inflation, means it doesn't bode well for us.

I can only speculate that they will keep the life insurance part of the pension, but who really knows until they announce it, one way or the other.

AlexM

Is pension builder (smart pb) defined benefit or defined contribution.
On many occasion i have heard long standing employees saying that the only reason they are still with the company are the benefits - namely the pension & share incentives. Neither are worrh staying for now?

Bug

Pension Builder is defined benefit.

troll-hunter

Next question.
Once and after their ummmm, what was the word?  oh yes, consultation, with USDAW and they close the defined benefits scheme (DB) will the portion of our pension that comes from the 'now' closed DB be fixed or will it vary?

the-vortex

It will not reduce and will increase at the rate already in place.  The only change is that you will not be able to accrue any more benefits.  If you have 15 years contributions then your benefit will be fixed at that level and any subsequent contributions will be into the new Defined Contribution scheme and any subsequent benefits will come from that fund.

oliver

The-vortex, not to confuse people but the pension changed in 2012 also if we went along with the new one which i am not ,wouldn't there be three different tiers in our pension.

the-vortex

Yes.  Or rather, two versions of the DB/FS scheme and the new DC scheme.

by the way you say "... if we went along with the new one which I am not...", don't decline something that you know nothing about.  If, having checked the new scheme out, you then decide to opt out then OK but don't make a decision yet.  Remember that T*sco are obliged to make contributions to a workplace pension and in the case of this new scheme the fund being credited will be your own specific fund not a group fund, which means you will be able to see what they are putting in for you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk