News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-04-24, 04:00AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,429
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 550
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 228
Total: 228

job cuts?

Started by Vinny1985, 11-01-21, 04:01PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnzo88

Guy who works checkouts/self scan from 10-7 on nights has been told his job is going soon. Will be offered hours on days, but wont be his 36.5hrs he does on nights. Told no redundancy or protected pay. Take what he is offered or leave. That sound about right?

Davethebave

That doesn’t sound right. Moving from nights to days is grounds for redundancy. If you remember back to when replen was moved onto days. Same thing.

He will maybe be offered alternative hours on nights

forrestgimp

Quote from: Johnzo88 on 11-02-21, 09:01AM
Guy who works checkouts/self scan from 10-7 on nights has been told his job is going soon. Will be offered hours on days, but wont be his 36.5hrs he does on nights. Told no redundancy or protected pay. Take what he is offered or leave. That sound about right?

Lol it doesnt work like that, he will get redundancy if he doesnt want to go onto days. Unless he has worked for Tesco for less than 2 years that may make a difference but without looking into it I cant say for sure.

Nomad

Generally speaking days to nights or vice versa is a redundancy situation, i.e. it has to be offered to the employee.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/leaving-a-job/redundancy/check-if-your-redundancy-is-fair/fair-redundancy-process/
QuoteYour employer has to follow a fair redundancy process if you'll have worked for them for at least 2 years by the time your job ends. If you've worked for your employer for less than 2 years your employer doesn't need a redundancy process and doesn't have to meet you individually. ...
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Colleague 3000000

Thank you for this info.

Please post here any info you find out about what is happening.

What is happening on CSD? Will they be closing early etc?

Thank you.

newguy20

Quote from: Call me on 10-02-21, 06:45PM
From march 1st flower wrapping gone. No cash back at our store. They saying if a Tesco has an ATM then no cash back in shop. A few of the  main bank tills will be card only. Heat map will come down by week 3. Right hrs right place chip and pin will go from £45 to £100   And there's more coming soon.

Don't do flower wrapping at all here and can't recall it being the case when I previously visited as a customer.

Cashback is important we we only have one ATM, surprising considering the banks are touting cashback to be available to ensure people have access to it.

They will probably back down if he knows his rights, same happened with one of our PFS staff who worked 30 hours, was offered an 8 hour contract no other option, said no, magically they found him 30 hours.

Our night checkout staff have been moved around, they used to have 2 staff on checkouts overnight, now from 1am-6am they do putbacks and fill one aisle (which they aren't pleased about!).

As for CSD on one person only, fine until they get a couple of customers with price label enquiries or F11s and the queue builds up.

Welshie

I went through a similar thing just over 2yrs ago when they got rid of non-food nightshift.  I was f&f nightshift  , I got offered other hours on days which I refused then other hours on nights , I was told it was a different situation and although I fought them for over a year they refused to offer me redundancy.  They tried everything to get me to take s &r nights , in the end I did move 54weeks after it first started but not to anywhere they originally wanted me to and I also grievanced 4 members of senior team including store manager to get the job I actually agreed to . So it's not always as simple as nights to days is a redundancy situation.  by the way the union were worse than useless.

NightAndDay

Citizens Advice Bureau, you can't trust the union.

Colleague 3000000

CSD at my store is already one person only.

I they going to change the opening hours of CSD?

Does anyone know?

Missme

We have been told too many people work a certain day on checkouts. They are looking to move people to different days. My question is can they make you move and then move someone else into your hours?

Johnzo88

Quote from: Welshie on 11-02-21, 12:09PM

I went through a similar thing just over 2yrs ago when they got rid of non-food nightshift.  I was f&f nightshift  , I got offered other hours on days which I refused then other hours on nights , I was told it was a different situation and although I fought them for over a year they refused to offer me redundancy.  They tried everything to get me to
take s &r nights , in the end I did move 54weeks after it first started but not to anywhere they originally wanted me to and I also grievanced 4 members of senior team including store manager to get the job I actually agreed to . So it's not always as simple as nights to days is a redundancy situation.  by the way the union were worse than useless.

The member ot staff, who has 20+ years service and was a rep for years says that the law/or rule changed not long ago, which means moving from nights to days is no longer a redundancy option. Uness it is a major business reconstruction, and tesco offer you hours elsewhere(days and or reduced hours) then they wont offer redundancy. He says he will try and get help elsewhere, as he said the union just agreed with what he was told by a manger. Surprise surprise.

NightAndDay

What you posted is at odds with what is currently published on the government website regarding redundancies, an established night worker being made to go from working nights to working days wouldn't pass the reasonability test if it went to court.

Welshie

Unfortunately for it to go to court you have to take it to the point where Tesco sack you for not moving or leave . Not everyone can afford to do that and that is why Tesco get away with it .

Nomad

NightAndDay & Welshie I believe you both to be mainly correct, all anybody can do is give those who may have a problem is the information, or a guide to where it can be found,  to confront the problem.  Union, ACAS, CAB or all sources of information on redundancy.  The person should decide how far and how long they want to pursue their rights.

https://www.acas.org.uk/your-rights-during-redundancy/taking-another-job-with-your-employer

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/leaving-a-job/redundancy/your-employer-offers-you-another-job/Mentioned in this (step 3) is that ACAS operate a free conciliation service.  Also details how to contact them.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

forrestgimp

The most important thing to do is hold your nerve. If you are being told its not a redundancy situation and you can clearly show that it is that is probably because your team manager has been told this and is simply parroting it.

What you need to do is just stick to your guns and you will eventually get the redundancy because those who make the decisions are not at store level and will know they are wrong.

They do this becuase because they hope people just accept it get upset at the prospect of losing their job and go along with whatever is offered.

Davethebave

In fact, does it not have to effect a good amount of people before it’s a redundancy situation? If it’s only one person then some legal loopholes to jump around

NightAndDay

It's either a redundancy situation or unfair dismissal, if the role is no longer there, it is redundancy, no matter how many effected, if there is 35 of the same role reduced to 34, the 1 person could be in a redundancy situation, most of the time, the reasonable alternative job offer is used to cancel out the redundancy situation, but even so, the offered alternative has to be reasonable, if it forces an established night worker to move to days, that's not reasonable, likewise if there's a reduction in hours or pay and travel distance is significantly further than how far you have to travel to get to work currently, that's also not reasonable, finally if the job offered is above or below your current skill level or seniority, it also may not be reasonable (the exception is if they "promote" you as well to a position thet reasonably expect you to be able to do based on current track record.)

Nomad

They can offer, but to be forced into a position outwith your field of expertise is unreasonable.

To expect a butcher or baker to become a candlestick maker, so to speak. 
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

beahead

Our department  was loosing hours , the heat map strikes again , so if the department  is over hours , I would say that is a redundancy situation, would anyone agree ? Our job role is csd , we are on a higher  pay grade so to move to another department  would not be a fair move  or would it ? I

londoner83

They will probably offer some form of pay protection to move you to another department.

grim up north

@londoner83, what good is that is that can cancel the deal, like they are trying in distribution?

Welshie

She had to resign to chase a constructive  unfair dimissal case . Not everyone can afford to do that .
Reality is you fight to get the best outcome for you and your circumstances, if you can afford to leave/be sacked and take it further , then great  but if you can't and they are telling you it's not a redundancy situation then just try to fight to get the best hours/department that suit you .

Redshoes

Quote from: beahead on 13-02-21, 01:32PM
Our department  was loosing hours , the heat map strikes again , so if the department  is over hours , I would say that is a redundancy situation, would anyone agree ? Our job role is csd , we are on a higher  pay grade so to move to another department  would not be a fair move  or would it ? I

No redundancies on offer, it’s a soft structure change. If you are on old system you get you skill pay no matter what you do. In the new system you get skill pay for the time you are using your skills. There is always a pay protection that is built into any structure change.

beahead

But what if you can't do the other jobs available  ? 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk