News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

27-04-24, 06:33PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,427
  • Total Topics: 640
  • Online today: 562
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 526
Total: 530

New structure change.

Started by Vinny1985, 13-01-22, 03:08AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brez

We've seen it all before with regards to colleagues not being used for picking and checkouts, unless their line manager is there to say no, they get taken as it's a "priority".

Anyone who's agreeing to move to twilight replen on BWS, good luck... you're going to need it.  :D

Dlk

Hello everyone, looking for help or maybe people's past experiences. I am a nights worker in one of the affected stores. What I would like to know is if we are able to leave tesco for a new job earlier than the 30th of April (final night shift date) for new employment and still receive redundancy.
Our store manager says they are waiting on an information pack but don't think it is possible to leave early without forfeiting the payment, obviously those of us with higher costs of living are under pressure to move on as quickly as possible.
Obviously its hard to judge if our store managers are going to be willing to share the information which may lead to us leaving early and potentially causing a short term staff problem.

lucgeo

Have you started your consultation period yet? You should have a designated manager to deal with all the questions and answers posed.

During previous redundancy situations, the process was that if you were offered a job by another employer during your consultation period, then that job offer was to be in writing, signed and dated by your new employer offering you the position to start prior the end of consultation, and you would not forfeit your redundancy package.

If you have been offered another position before your consultation period of 4 weeks, then they could withhold the redundancy, as it would be classed as your resignation.

If you want to know before your SM gets back to you, phone Tesco help desk or your area union office for the  information. Don't give your name, just state you want to know what the option is, should you decide to accept redundancy.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Dlk

Quote from: lucgeo on 07-02-22, 01:06PM
Have you started your consultation period yet? You should have a designated manager to deal with all the questions and answers posed.

During previous redundancy situations, the process was that if you were offered a job by another employer during your consultation period, then that job offer was to be in writing, signed and dated by your new employer offering you the position to start prior the end of consultation, and you would not forfeit your redundancy package.

If you have been offered another position before your consultation period of 4 weeks, then they could withhold the redundancy, as it would be classed as your resignation.

If you want to know before your SM gets back to you, phone Tesco help desk or your area union office for the  information. Don't give your name, just state you want to know what the option is, should you decide to accept redundancy.

Thanks very much Lucgeo that is really helpful,
We have our first meeting coming up where i am told we are to provide availabilty to try and match us to day work, which i am unable to accept.
So going on previous times, once i have that first meeting if i am to find new emplyment i can at that point hand my notice in and leave with the redundancy or would i have to be in a position of them having already decided i am unable to be matched to any jobs?

Prince of Darkness

Quote from: GeneralDogsbody on 06-02-22, 11:17PM
Quote from: Prince of Darkness on 06-02-22, 03:51PM
Our nights team finish at the end of April. Looking forward to the fun when the twilight replen starts. Can't see the late Duty manager being thrilled with a midnight finish ...
All going to be on the shift leaders!

Which we don't have. Yet. Can't see any obvious volunteers from the store for the role either if it involves a load of midnight finishes.

lucgeo

@Dlk

If you're wanting redundancy, and have been told you're at risk, then you need to be told that first. The  availability form you fill in, put the same hours and shifts you do now. It is up to them to match those shifts, which they can't as your present role, on those shifts and hours, is being made redundant.

You can have as many meetings with the designated redundancy manager as you like. You can ask any questions you want and they need to get back to you within a day or two. Notes are taken at every meeting, to which your given a copy.

Once it's established that you are at risk of redundancy and you have entered the consultation period, you can have up to four half paid shifts, ( that may have changed so check)  to attend interviews with other companies. Some managers insist on proof, but most don't as they are empathic to your situation.

They must have told you they cannot match your availability, and given confirmation that you will be released early, without penalty, to take an alternative employers offer.
If you already have an offer of employment from another company, keep that to yourself, and ensure the new employer does provide proof of an offer AFTER your consultation starts.

Good luck  :thumbup:

BUY TESLA STOCK

Invest your money in Tesla not Tesco.  :-X

lackofinterest

i'd rather spend it!! thanks for the offer anyway :-*

Dlk

@lucgeo thanks a bunch!

lackofinterest

good luck dlk you lucky sod :). its times like these i wish i was on nights :'(

lockesbrokenback

Haven't logged in here for a couple of years now, but just wanted to say good luck to you all on nights. I was cut in the last night cull at the end of 2019. For over a decade before that, I worked Mon to Fri and my hours no longer suited the business 😂. Refused to work weekends so took my chances elsewhere. Remember the store manager at the time being shocked that I didn't take another vacancy instead of redundancy - 16 hours spread across four days. Unbelievable.

I've kept in touch with a few of the people I worked with for years and they can't wait for redundancy, over the moon for them. Gutted for the younger ones of course, never a nice position to be put in. It's very easy for me to say now because at the time I was absolutely bricking it, but it really was the best thing to ever happen to me. Took me 6 months to find full time, permanent work but I ended up in a job making more money for working 9 to 5 than I did 10pm to 7am. Funny how things work out.

Good luck👍🏼

BUY TESLA STOCK

Kieth_Lemon

is Project solo still a thing. (I think that's what they were calling it)

An idea taken from the discounters where the delivery is unloaded by the driver after hours so no need for colleagues to be in the building.

Baba_G

Yeah i doubt any drivers that work with or for tesco will ever agee to do that any time soon at least not with the current hgv driver shortage . They do the minimum amout of work and thay arr well and trully happy and well paid for it. Before you jump on my head and say that is not an easy job i know but most of it involves sitting behind the wheel or sitting and "helping " tip your lorry so you can finish early or have your little paid break outside the yard while making almost double then people tiping the lorry or even filli g the shelfs ...so yeah doubt the tesco lorry drivers will ever go for doing extra work unless paid much much more money

penguin

Quote from: Kieth_Lemon on 08-02-22, 05:49PM
is Project solo still a thing. (I think that's what they were calling it)

An idea taken from the discounters where the delivery is unloaded by the driver after hours so no need for colleagues to be in the building.

They were planning something along those lines for express back in 2017, deliveries would be done by driver plus another person in the truck who would not be a driver so on a lower rate of pay. delivers to be done during normal times, so no store staff involvement in unloading delivers and reloading rubbish cages and empties, some rubbish about freeing up store staff to focus on the shop floor, more like a way to cut down on store staff, you do not tip deliveries anymore in this shop, out goes 15 hours or whatever per week wage budget, anyway in never came to anything in the end.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Baba_G on 08-02-22, 06:01PM
Yeah i doubt any drivers that work with or for tesco will ever agee to do that any time soon at least not with the current hgv driver shortage . They do the minimum amout of work and thay arr well and trully happy and well paid for it. Before you jump on my head and say that is not an easy job i know but most of it involves sitting behind the wheel or sitting and "helping " tip your lorry so you can finish early or have your little paid break outside the yard while making almost double then people tiping the lorry or even filli g the shelfs ...so yeah doubt the tesco lorry drivers will ever go for doing extra work unless paid much much more money

Don't blame them, if everybody stuck to the expected duties of their roles, you wouldn't have managers from the wild west pulling this "it'll be good for your development" spiel. They're doing what they're paid for, and remunerated very poorly I might add to do as their role stipulates, nothing more.

lucgeo

Quote from: Baba_G on 08-02-22, 06:01PM

What do you expect the HGV drivers to do whilst waiting to unload  ??? They're not employed by your store, if they're sitting, eating or drinking in their cab in the yard, what's the difference to you  ??? The reason they're sitting waiting is because of the lack of logistics in your warehouse, and understaffing. The store is given an ETA for their deliveries, but fail to have enough cover as they prioritise checkouts and all hands! They rarely provide cover for back door breaks, hence the backlog!

If you're so bothered about their high rate of pay, then perhaps you should consider training for a HGV licence!

Lostrebel

I honestly don't understand why people wait and hope to be made redundant. Surely in the years waiting and moaning they could have applied themselves to find a job they would enjoy. They all talk like they have a divine right to be paid off which simply doesn't happen in other jobs.

I know jobs are difficult to find but life is too short and I don't believe these people apply for any jobs. The real reason is more likely these are the most useless and negative individuals which would come across in interviews so why would you want to hire them?

FarmerFred

All well and good distribution giving planned delivery times, so stores can arrange for backdoor cover, but when less than 25% of deliveries turn up at the right time it's pointless! Out of 6 deliveries to our store yesterday only 1 was within an an hour of the planned time! Or you get the daft situation of two double deckers being planned within half an hour of each other and they actually turn up on time for a change along with frozen turning up early/late and a multitude of parcel vans and pallet waggons ringing the bell every 5 minutes!

Cbatt566

You couldn't be more wrong in thinking jobs are hard to find. We live in an employees market. Tesco need to do more on retention. As it stands they are at colleagues disposal!

Quote from: Lostrebel on 10-02-22, 06:53AM
I honestly don't understand why people wait and hope to be made redundant. Surely in the years waiting and moaning they could have applied themselves to find a job they would enjoy. They all talk like they have a divine right to be paid off which simply doesn't happen in other jobs.

I know jobs are difficult to find but life is too short and I don't believe these people apply for any jobs. The real reason is more likely these are the most useless and negative individuals which would come across in interviews so why would you want to hire them?

lucgeo

@Lostrebel

10-15 years ago, redundancies in retail were unheard of.
A job, only 20 years ago in Tesco, was deemed a job for life, full time positions were in the majority and they were the highest payers p.h. Everyone was trained, in the " training room" to do their job. Staff were in abundance, they had a social club, social outings, Christmas parties, and a full time staffed canteen that provided subsided cooked from scratch breakfasts, lunches and evening meals!

Retail in general, has cut back and streamlined, Tesco weren't the first to start culling their workforce to the bone! It's been a gradual decline, and the workers of 20+ years find themselves stuck between a rock and a hard place...most are still on the old contracts, some are still full time, taking that and their more senior years into consideration, they're looking at a package in excess of 20k!
So yes they do have a divine right to hold out for that amount, as they're not going to walk away from it are they  ??? It does, and is happening in other retail  companies all the time!

I can assure you that an older, fully trained Tesco employee, would be shortlisted for any vacancy they applied for, as Tesco were renowned for having good training practices ( in the past ).
Many ex colleagues who took the redundancy packages, were in alternative employment within a few months, all better paid and senior positions, because they knew their worth and so did their new employer!

lucgeo

@FarmerFred

I agree wholeheartedly in what you say, the logistics for the timings of deliveries is pointless, as they don't factor in road traffic delays, size of wagons and other small company deliveries throughout the day.
Full cover at all times on the back door has been cut to the bone, only one person on back door and their breaks not covered!
The same scenario running throughout, day in day out!
Back door person on their break, delivery arrives. Manager wants back door colleague to cut break short and go tip wagon, then take " the rest of their break later" NO!! If they have their break cut short, then they go back and take their WHOLE break again, regardless of how much they'd already taken, add to this their other break times still to be taken later, resulting in even less time actually having the back door manned!

lucgeo

P.s.  8-) you can refuse to cut your break short  8-)

Lostrebel

Quote from: lucgeo on 10-02-22, 08:11AM
@Lostrebel

10-15 years ago, redundancies in retail were unheard of.
A job, only 20 years ago in Tesco, was deemed a job for life, full time positions were in the majority and they were the highest payers p.h. Everyone was trained, in the " training room" to do their job. Staff were in abundance, they had a social club, social outings, Christmas parties, and a full time staffed canteen that provided subsided cooked from scratch breakfasts, lunches and evening meals!

Retail in general, has cut back and streamlined, Tesco weren't the first to start culling their workforce to the bone! It's been a gradual decline, and the workers of 20+ years find themselves stuck between a rock and a hard place...most are still on the old contracts, some are still full time, taking that and their more senior years into consideration, they're looking at a package in excess of 20k!
So yes they do have a divine right to hold out for that amount, as they're not going to walk away from it are they  ??? It does, and is happening in other retail  companies all the time!

I can assure you that an older, fully trained Tesco employee, would be shortlisted for any vacancy they applied for, as Tesco were renowned for having good training practices ( in the past ).
Many ex colleagues who took the redundancy packages, were in alternative employment within a few months, all better paid and senior positions, because they knew their worth and so did their new employer!

I for one wouldn't spend 20 years of my life waiting around for £20k. Surely bite the bullet and leave earning extra £1 an hour and you've made more then £20k over the next 20 years. Dreadful way to think, thinking you have a right for basically doing your job.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Lostrebel on 10-02-22, 06:53AM

Redundancies do happen elsewhere, usually when the role isn't needed due to the requirement being fulfilled by automation. In other companies, it's a straightforward process, there's none of this waiting for people to leave malarky as per Tesco.

And as Lucgeo states, that redundancy money is morally theirs, either Tesco keeps them in their company in a obsolete role with no defined responsibilities or they do the right thing and pay them off, either way they lose money as they should, forfeiting their redundancy is basically letting Tesco cull jobs without financial consequences and sets a precedent for every Mickey Mouse outfit to do the same.

Add to this the people waiting out for £20k+ would be atvthe near end of their working life, their skills in Retail in a similar role also wouldn't get them that much more. Financially speaking holding out for redundo is the best financial option in some cases.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk