News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 07:14PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,117
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Diversity and Inclusion Training

Started by taliahad, 14-10-20, 03:27PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taliahad

Some of us have just had our "Diversity and Inclusion Training." Has anyone else had this?  If so I'd be interested to know your thoughts on it.  My thoughts are not entirely complementary.  I don't see what business it is of theirs if I refer to a waitress as a waitress. 

King1999

Just sounds like another pr exercise.......oh look at us we care.

Fixxer

I'm sure it ticks some boxes somewhere but it in no way enhanced my understanding of how diversity can be better handled within Tesco or what the company are actually doing about it.

It just seemed to be a 20 minute exercise in "People are different"

Redone1

I did this training and was going to post about this a few weeks ago. This training comes of incredible poor. Basically what Tesco are saying if your a straight white male. Your not what we really looking for at the min. One of the messages in the video is. It’s not what you are, but who you are. So to me that’s Tesco saying that they picking people on race and sexuality over Who can actually do the job. Then go on to tell us the meaning of Homogeny. In Tesco speak which they can’t say Is we got to many white people working in ours store. They really need to go back to the drawing board with this one.

taliahad

Did anyone get the question asking whether people at the top were as important as people at the bottom?  I can't recall it exactly but everyone in our department answered that the two were equal, Tesco marked us as incorrect and went on to say that the people at the top were more important.  Well, let's see what happens when all the shop floor staff don't turn up for work, let's see how important the CEO is then.  Dreadful move on Tesco's part,  I get the point about white males, they are the most discriminated people in the country, as a mother of two sons and a grandmother of a newborn baby boy, I rage against all this.   

NightAndDay

Quote from: Redone1 on 14-10-20, 05:15PM
I did this training and was going to post about this a few weeks ago. This training comes of incredible poor. Basically what Tesco are saying if your a straight white male. Your not what we really looking for at the min. One of the messages in the video is. It’s not what you are, but who you are. So to me that’s Tesco saying that they picking people on race and sexuality over Who can actually do the job. Then go on to tell us the meaning of Homogeny. In Tesco speak which they can’t say Is we got to many white people working in ours store. They really need to go back to the drawing board with this one.

This has been in place in convenience for a while, we've had a female AM and PM and in the space of 3 years into their tenure SMs in express stores in group 810  are about 70% female 30% male, and my god is it a shitshow. Not saying all the female SMs are bad, but if your sole purpose for promoting someone is based off protected characteristics and the need to check a diversity checkbox, then all too often you'll erase the already checked competency box in the process. I've seen a few male shift leads who were ready for the SM role and a deputy from a 500k a week express fuelsite (half the takings of a superstore with 8% of the hours and 10% of the staff) get turned down before their JDI interview (Judgement, Drive, Influence) the DM said that before the JDI the AM already told him he's not going to become SM, he resigned there and then and is now a highly paid SM at Sainsburys local. At least the competition haven't lost the plot.

penguin

The training came across as rather patronising to me and I know a few others who said the same, almost as if it was telling us using a term like waitress makes us guilty of some evil act of discrimination and should be ashamed for evermore. Strange thing is I had to do mine while I was working my notice, reason was and I quote "The more that I get signed off on this the better it makes me look in the store managers eyes"
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

NightAndDay

These worker drones will perpetually go for that promotion not realising it's not about how hard you work or what results you get but how much your face fits and how sycophantic you are. Pathetic really, these Team managers will forever be chasing that carrot on a stick not realising it's all pre-decided.

taliahad

I disagree with Night and Day when he says that the competition haven't lost the plot.  Sainsburys are massive BLM supporters.  A lot of people are boycotting them and argos because of it, I'm one of them.  I see BLM as marxist, fascist, thugs,  It seems this woke disease is everywhere.

lucgeo

It's a classic example of society wanting to be seen to be tackling an issue, that is only an issue because they have made it so, by their own ignorant interpretation.

Yes there are discriminations in every walk of life, be that race, age, gender etc...but the people affected by it, are the ones who should be explaining how it is for them...not some spin doctor declaring how they are affected...a lot of the time, the issue is one of ignorance, but the last thing people want is for it to be blown out of the water, drawing them into the spotlight, as if they are somehow to be treated differently,  knowing colleagues are treating them differently, because of a "protected characteristic"

It breeds intolerance...people feel they can't say that, or worse say something without thinking, ( because they don't think of that person as " different" ) but then realise and promptly apologise to that person, highlighting them as 'somehow different' when there has been no offence taken, but are now embarrassed to be singled out in the group.

This happens a lot in Wales, when the ability of an applicant to speak Welsh, overrides the ability of that person to do the job...jobs for the boyos!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Bacons

This recent drivel in one of their e-mails cracked me up.

QuoteHelen is an Assistant Buyer, and is passionate about educating others on inclusive language and anti-racism.

“Social justice issues have always been a passion of mine, and I try to put myself in other people’s situations at all times. My personal value is, where I can, to leave the world in a better place for everyone. I live this value in my personal and professional life. I believe it’s important to question the status quo, challenge people to think outside their world view, and use my privilege to speak up for marginalised people.”

It's like a parody of a ****** white middle class person appointing themselves the saviour of anyone they deem oppressed or discriminated against. She is privileged and righteous  :D

The total lack of self awareness about their own narcissism is as hilarious as it is astounding. One of the executives also recently wrote some self-abasing nonsense in one of his e-mails.

I'd put money on the people who wrote the training being mostly middle class white people who graduated recently in subjects heavily corrupted with modern marxism.

Katarn2000

Sounds like some people here need some more re-education. Too much wrong-think going on

lucgeo

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

taliahad

Quote from: Katarn2000 on 15-10-20, 11:50AM
Sounds like some people here need some more re-education. Too much wrong-think going on

Sounds very sinister, smacks of East Germany and their reeducation programs.  "Zu will think in ze correct way or else you will all be shot."

rayinski

I got asked yesterday to do my training at home when I'm on holiday next week as where short staffed this week and they can't spare the time to get everbody's training up to date. I just told my manager that it's not my problem and when I'm on holiday, I have no intention of doing anything work related and walked away.

As for this diversity BS, I treat people how I would want to be treated and I don't give a poop about skin colour, religion, sexual orientation etc, etc at the end of the day you are person and I'll treat you like one.

King1999

Tosco the company that doesn’t treat people how they want to be treated.Can f&@k right off.

lackofinterest

i can't even begin to comment because i'm bound to upset somebody with my opinions on this >:(

NightAndDay

I'd say Animal Farm, everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others.

NightAndDay

Quote from: taliahad on 15-10-20, 07:09AM
I disagree with Night and Day when he says that the competition haven't lost the plot.  Sainsburys are massive BLM supporters.  A lot of people are boycotting them and argos because of it, I'm one of them.  I see BLM as marxist, fascist, thugs,  It seems this woke disease is everywhere.

The point of BLM is to highlight, stand against and make accountable the authoritarian figures in Americas government for things like police brutality, unemployment percentages, disproportionate sentencing, rejecting candidates for a job, salary differentials and a myriad of other statistics that show Black and to a lesser extent AME groups to be marginalised as a result of the countries institutional racism.

How some of its members go about their protests leads to opinions like yours being made.

gomezz

It is not just about America or institutions.  It is about each and every one of us.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

helpme

Quote from: NightAndDay on 16-10-20, 02:51PM
Quote from: taliahad on 15-10-20, 07:09AM

The point of BLM is to highlight, stand against and make accountable the authoritarian figures in Americas government for things like police brutality, unemployment percentages, disproportionate sentencing, rejecting candidates for a job, salary differentials and a myriad of other statistics that show Black and to a lesser extent AME groups to be marginalised as a result of the countries institutional racism.

How some of its members go about their protests leads to opinions like yours being made.
Funny how the very person who sponsored the law which meant disproportionate sentencing for blacks is the very one being hailed by them as the next president! And if you want to go on about institutional racism what about the black only schools and collages which Trump has guaranteed funding for ten years? Racism was slowly but surely going away until Obama!

tumshie

[gmod] Please stick to the topic, which is Diversity and Inclusion Training (in Tesco). [/gmod]

miriam

I did mine last week
I think that us at bottom of ladder are the most important if we weren't the team suppot and managers wouldn't have a job

I find it pretty stupid as in my store team support behave the obisite and managers alike
I want to know what are they doing about the ones that don't comply
Some I work with are not good enough to work in tesco and deserve to be let go.
It seems they are of value

thepainter

Did the diversity training and was disgusted at how discriminatory it was against white heterosexual people.

I was incensed by the way I was basically being told that because i'm a white heterosexual English man I was discriminatory racist etc because I wasn't in one of these groups although I was bought up in a diverse multi cultural town but at 55 I should think in a particular way.

What has now got me more incensed is the company has stuff up on the walls covering all these diverse groups and a calendar for events the one glaring omission is white English heterosexual male / Female like we don;t exist and are not important.

To add insult to injury all this s*** is being rammed down our throats.

However I was discriminated against today due to the fact that I went out without my mobile phone with the wife to the local Nando's.

After standing outside for ages I ask the girl for a table to which I was told unless I used the QR code I could not go in??

So I was refused entry because I didn't meet a certain criteria needless to say I protested at the fact that this is a disgrace to which I was told I was being aggressive for doing no more than ask questions the 4 year old manager do nothing but antagonize the situation to the point that I wanted to smack the hell out of him and they wonder why staff in shops etc are experiencing alleged aggression. you treat people with contempt or speak to people like s*** then your going to cause issues. 

So I you have no mobile phone or choose not to consent to being tracked you are now being refused access to publicly accessible places??

You can't sit there because your black
You can't live there because your a Jew
You can't adopt a child because your both men
you can't eat in here because you don't have a mobile phone
you can't have that job because your a woman
you can't shop here because your not wearing a mask
you can't enjoy this play because your disabled
You can't leave your home because you've not had this vaccination

your a second class citizen because we say you are??

diversity, inclusion, acceptance my arse. It seems like only some types of discrimination are taboo because they are the current flavor of the day where others are actively being pushed

I am fuming I have never ever felt that I was singled out but today I saw what its actually like to be discriminated against yet i'm being forced to do this diversity training.

So angry.

Tesco can slide down razor blades.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk