News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:06PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,126
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 317
Total: 323

Overtime and Leaving Early

Started by whatajoke2019, 17-04-21, 09:03PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatajoke2019

Good evening,

What's the process surrounding overtime and leaving a shift early? Am asking on behalf of a colleague who's gotten it in the neck from a TM because they've been finishing a couple of hours early as their job on the department is done.

The colleague in question has never (to the best of my knowledge) actually been asked if they are okay to work this overtime and it's been happening for a number of months now, all of a sudden, it's a massive issue  ???.

I've had a look at the Pay Policy and I know it touts the 'needs of the business' but in defence of my colleague they are actually doing Tosco a favour because they aren't being paid until the end of the overtime shift to twiddle their thumbs...

Thanks in advance  :thumbup:

Nomad

First thoughts.  If they are being paid only for what they do(hours) and it has been going on for a number of months, then somebody in an office knows what has been occurring and by their silence has condoned it.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

whatajoke2019

I won't see them until later on next week now but to the best of my knowledge they are only being paid for the overtime hours they work (we're on W&P).

This is what we both couldn't understand-someone hasn't had a problem whatsoever with it until today.

I wish I could go into slightly more detail but I know the TM in question reads this site. I know my colleague should perhaps approach said TM but to say you're made to feel like a nuisance when you're asking a valid question would be an understatement  :thumbdown:.

I guess the attitude is it's only "company policy" when it suits them  :D.

lackofinterest

simple solution. don't do the overtime!!!

whatajoke2019

Given how (rightly!) annoyed my colleague in question was... that's a given now!

lordadmiral

When i do OT i do what i want. I decide what time i come and what time i go. I am paid for hours i worked. Simples!!! Managers job is to put the hours into system. i am in current stroe since 2011 and always I and other people been doing the OT shifts this way.   For example, There were nights when i filled produce in 2 hours and went home as there was no delivery and i agreed to fill produce only.

Your friend is doing favour so i do not see the simplest reason of makng a fuss about the hours he/she is accually doing,  unless you are heavly understaffed and managers hope that your friend do as much as possible.

Redshoes

A manager has put someone down for overtime without asking. If this has happened how was it agreed that a set task was put in place. Was overtime issued on a flexi sheet or name just added to a rota. There is a huge difference. Is colleague a flexi worker or on a fixed hours contract but has been doing the overtime as per a rota.
If a flexi worker and on a flexi sheet there is an agreed shift.
If name just added to a rota without person being asked there has been nothing agreed.

oldfashionedplayer

It depends on if they are getting paid or not for the hours extra... If they are clocking out then wouldn't be an issue...

If they are a flexi worker then any overtime, or shifts should be agreed in advance with a week minimum to 4 weeks ideally notice on the correct sheets.

If a normal worker then overtime is overtime, ask if you want it, or take it if you get asked, turn up if you want to, or don't... Depending On manager they may complain if a colleague doesn't phone up to cancel with notice / phone in sick and if repeatedly not turning up they can refuse to offer overtime for a while....

Onto hours - Hours should be agreed in Advance, shifts and overtime should be a minimum of 3 hours and colleagues aren't allowed to work more than 16 hours (16 hours includes the travel time to and from work) in one shift, with a 11 hour rest period between the next shift....

Hours that aren't agreed in advance means there are 2 intentions, full shift, or could ask to go home early... If early you should bring it up at the start of the night but overtime is overtime, as said you are doing this to help out the company, so as long as your not doing like a 10pm to 7am, taking your 90min break and going and 3am cause your done then your fine, you have to take the breaks listed in policy length, and if you leave over need to disclose the hours you've worked and breaks youve taken so they can correct it if need be. (so they don't take it out in your next wage if they complain)

TLDR - Overtime is your time, if they are cranky about it, stop doing it, your doing them a favor so do the hours you want and tell them when you plan on going so they can't botch. If you stay extra that's good for them.

whatajoke2019

Good evening,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone. Thank you for your help and advice thus far.

So the colleague in question is clocking in and out for their shift but I don't think the TM in question is updating Flexible Resourcing so it generates an Exception. They are only being paid for their contracted hours and any overtime hours they've worked.

They are on a Flexi Contract but the TM in question has a habit of just putting people down on the rota without asking them if they are okay to work additional hours. Luckily I don't have too many dealings with the TM I'm referring to (he makes a dead pigeon smashed to pieces on the M1 look intelligent).

My colleague has very rarely not been able to work overtime in the past, he's certainly not just turned up nor has he phoned in sick so he's done the TM huge favours in the past, especially when there were a few people on the department using their holidays up last minute.

newguy20

An element of it is supply and demand... some managers when putting out overtime shifts when it's quiet for overtime are very particular eg if the shift to be covered is 2/10, you have to be available for the whole shift. When they get desperate though, or when overtime is plentiful, they will accept splitting it so one person does 2/6 the other 6/10 for example. Conversely I've once turned down a short shift because I said it wasn't worth disrupting my entire day off for 4 hours in the middle... ten minutes later got offered 9 hours instead, result.

oldfashionedplayer

I would advise again though that said colleague for future overtime says the expected time they intend to work if they are doing it as a favor, and say they will leave if work is done, its overtime not a contracted shift so nothing they can really complain at for it, if they want them in they will agree to it or work with them... on the "if it's done" or "can you meet me in the middle and finish at 5 instead of 3" type of thing.

they need you more than you need them when it comes to it... and as said previously.. any overtime for a flexi worker should be given on the correct paperwork forms, where shift patterns are shown and you get the copy and they get the original, so they can always challenge that they need the sheets in advance.... make work for the manager for each one, theyll soon just give up :P

Theabsentdriver

So I have a colleague in the same kind of boat he agreed to a driving shift as overtime he's just multi-skilled and the drivers were short so he put his name down for all day he was on run number 8 and was told when he was back he was being swapped too run 9 didn't like the new run so refused too do it and went home he was told it would be taken to a disarplinary action if he left but he carried on. He didn't receive a investigation letter till 22 days is 22 days too long is that out of process

oldfashionedplayer

If he's doing overtime, it's up to him, if they are swapping his shift, it's an emergency minimum of 24 hours (can be refuse and shouldn't be used all the time) and should be 7 days in advance for changes to be communicated for a flexi contract, though they may only be able to give a few days notice which can be classed as reasonable (but still can be refused if below 7 days notice) , so any union rep will tear them apart from that, just look into the flexible working, the working hours, the terms and conditions bit, it'll tell you with it to cover you..

BlueToon

Quote from: Theabsentdriver on 19-04-21, 01:05PM
on run number 8 and was told when he was back he was being swapped too run 9 didn't like the new run so refused too do it
A trifle confused here,
Did run No8 & run No9 start and finish at the same time?  i.e did both start at 8am? or did run9 start an hour later?

If one has agreed to the whole shift, and they were not asking you to finish 1hr later than agreed then I can understand them getting upset.
If the change was refused because they did not like the size of the run or the area it was going to then again I can understand their annoyance.

lackofinterest

a lot of years ago i didnt turn up for an overtime shift due to personal reasons. the duty manager was of the opinion i should receive a written warning. needless to say i've never agreed to do overtime since and never will. f*** em. DON'T DO OVERTIME!!!!

lackofinterest

i know people who agree to do overtime on a certain job then end up on check outs most of the day then moan about it. ffs stay at home on your day off!!!!

whatajoke2019

Really appreciate everyone's thoughts and input thus far.

I won't see him until Friday and I know he's going to speak to one of our Union reps in store.

The Union rep in question can really hold his own and the amount of things he's managed to throw out because TMs haven't followed process  :D.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk