News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 12:26PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 430
Total: 434

Face Masks

Started by Welshie, 10-07-20, 10:20AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

jester21, the law has little to do with it, unless one has medical grounds to not wear a mask then one can face action for refusing a reasonable request.

I may not be their biggest fan but there are some things they are entitled to do, one of which is setting reasonable rules for their employees.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Hopeful soul

No one should be required or forced to wear anything over their face, not us or the customers, it is pointless, masks/face coverings ain't gonna stop the spread of covid, if they were so effective then this virus and quite a few others would never have spread within China the way it did, as we all know the Chinese people wear masks all the time in public and have done so for many years, yet most (not all) new strains of flu, coronavirus etc originate from this part of the world, the argument for or against the usefulness of masks in public really ends there, its obvious they don't work, look around the store when your at work and all you'll see is customers and staff repeatedly adjusting, pulling on their masks, rubbing their eyes and noses, it's unavoidable as they are so uncomfortable, then people are touching all the stock then rubbing at their faces again then touching more stock, it's one sure fire way to spread not only covid but a host of other things, most people don't have their nose covered and quite a few have it on their chin, then they leave the store and shove it in their pocket only to whip it out again to pop into another shop, by which point its covered in goodness knows what, it's the most backward example of virus control I've ever seen

BUY TESLA STOCK

Started2008

All I can say is I’m glad I don’t work with a lot of you.

grim up north

I did my first 'big shop' today wearing the mask. It wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. Although towards the end my face felt a bit moist, the mask wasnt once i was out of the store and took it off. I don't know what it would be like to wear one whilst working though.

dotnochance

Me too “started2008” a lot of children on here.

[admin]Some of them aim insults at other members because their opinion differs.[/admin]

penguin

Quote from: Paulie on 29-07-20, 10:41PM
Go on the sick with stress and anxiety caused by wearing mask.

You will have a lot more stress and anxiety when you get a phone call informing you your mum is currently in hospital with coronavirus on top of an already serious underlying problem, I speak for experience and find your flippancy around wearing a mask highly offensive, several months on and my mum is only just getting to the stage in her recovery where she feels reasonably well again, this illness is not something to joke about.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Nomad

penguin, best wishes to your mum, I have close family with several serious underlying health problems.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Paulie

You can't force people to wear masks, i don't care about heartbreak stories of elderly parents with a bunch of existing health problems. I'm old myself, but I can see the damage mentally already with the younger generations. I don't want to tell my grandchildren in a few years there used to be a time where we never wore face masks at work. Let's get life back to normal, shield people who are vulnerable and rest of us get on with it.

penguin

Nomad thank you for the good wishes for my Mum, as for Paulie I wont even bother replying as those comments show what kind of person you are, need I say more.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

stockcontroller

I don't understand peoples problem with wearing a face mask? If it reduces the risk of spreading COVID even by a bit surely everyone should do their bit and just put up with it and wear a mask. I can assure you that wearing a mask for your shift is a lot more comfortable than being ventalised onto a ventilator.

lucgeo

Quote from: Paulie on 30-07-20, 08:13PM
You can't force people to wear masks, i don't care about heartbreak stories of elderly parents with a bunch of existing health problems. I'm old myself, but I can see the damage mentally already with the younger generations. I don't want to tell my grandchildren in a few years there used to be a time where we never wore face masks at work. Let's get life back to normal, shield people who are vulnerable and rest of us get on with it.

Shame on you  :thumbdown: :-X :-X

Let's hope your grandchildren don't just leave you to it, not bothering or caring when you're the elderly relative with a bunch of health issues.
I'm really at a loss to understand how the younger generation can be mentally damaged from wearing a face mask ??? ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Hopeful soul

In a few weeks or a couple of months the "scientists" will be reversing the advice for mandatory face masks on the basis of some new study that shows they are not really effective at controlling the spread of covid, is it any coincidence that a lot of countries which have introduced mandatory face masks in public over the last few weeks are now seeing significant rises in infection rates,      on a more general work related point, in the store that I work in we have become extremely quiet since the mandatory mask rule came in, we literally over night went from very busy to very quiet and it has remained that way for the past 3 weeks (I'm in Scotland) customers are also spending less time and money in the store when they do come in, many have commented that they just want to get back out of the store as quickly as possible so they can take their mask off,   also in the last 3 weeks thefts within the store have increased hugely, particularly high value non food items, don't know if this has anything to do with the face mask situation or not but any would be shop lifters will have realised that having their face covered will work to their advantage with regards to being able to identify them, 

notsofunny

Sorry I have been looking for the country's you could be talking about that are showing a rise , Are you taking into account that it could take a few weeks for any slowdown in Infections no matter what action we  take ? also that the ones that are infected then passing it onto someone else will then take another few weeks , and is it not possible that other factors could be playing a part in how effective a mask is ?, Like People not washing hands and so on or are you saying that washing hands is a waste of time as well ? as to  things going quiet and no one shopping , would that not mean that people have stopped eating drinking ,,, or could it just be that a lot of people are just using up all those loo rolls they have in stock at home , as to shop lifters you seem to be saying that is a reason to ignore what the rules are or to change them just to protect stock in which case i would think someone's life is more important than baby milk ,or some bottles of wine ,,,,,

Redshoes

The virus is still spreading in China where they seem to manage well wearing the masks. What nobody is saying is how bad it could have been if they had not worn masks. It could all have been so much worse.
For us it could have been worse without lockdown, that was the whole point in lockdown. There will always be experts that argue against things but I have yet to hear an argument to say NHS staff don't need Ppe. There are figures being put out about the flu after the war but there was no lockdown and no mask wearing then. There are still things like flu and other viruses going about but people still have accidents and get ill for all sorts of reasons. Nobody has ever said that all non-COVID related issues stop during COVID. COVID is in addition to and not replacing.
I have heard an expert say that it's not really happening. There are experts to argue the world is flat and that nobody has ever landed on the moon.
Add to this that hindsight is wonderful.

Paulie

Quote from: lucgeo on 30-07-20, 10:41PM
Shame on you  :thumbdown: :-X :-X

Let's hope your grandchildren don't just leave you to it, not bothering or caring when you're the elderly relative with a bunch of health issues.
I'm really at a loss to understand how the younger generation can be mentally damaged from wearing a face mask ??? ???

Have a look in a few months at the post when school children will have to wear masks mandatory, not being able to speak to the friends maintaining six feet distances. Let's see the mental health of people when the overhyped second wave comes from October on when your locked in your homes again not being able to see your family over, police at check points on the streets again. maintaining unproven distances again.

I do have a lot of health issues, I have lived my life and dying tomorrow doesn't bother me. I do care for the world my children and grandchildren are going to live in and the moment it's just tyranny. Face masks today, what tomorrow? I will leave you with Thomas Jefferson quote and won't bother posting again on the subject. We have agree to disagree, it's passionate subject from both sides and I do get the point of wearing a mask, but five months too late for that argument.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery".

dotnochance

Jesus, you sound demented

Redshoes

I had a child in store stare and stare at me yesterday. All the masks and visors are strange for them but her mother said it was the first time she had been out since lockdown. By the end of serving her the child was smiling and talking to me, children will adapt and do so quickly. Easier than adults. The new normal to us quickly becomes the never been any different to them. They live in the now and this is the reality of now.
I have grandchildren too. I don't like them seeing the harsh realities of life but you can't wrap them up and protect them from everything. We have to tell them to not talk to strangers etc but they still manage to play, make friends and enjoy life.

gomezz

Quote from: Redshoes on 31-07-20, 06:52AMThere are figures being put out about the flu after the war but there was no lockdown and no mask wearing then
Actually there was.  As there has been for pandemics and plagues down through ages.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

dotnochance

Even in the Middle Ages they were using masks in times of a plague, those bird like mask, they weren't just wearing those to look cool, if people in the Middle Ages could wear one so can we.

Mark calloway

That was only the doctors who wore that plague mask,that didn't work either

dotnochance

They did work though, it just wasn’t understood why! at the time they believed  miasma theory of disease, and that is disease travels through the air and are present in bad smells, their theory was wrong but they where half right
But moving on to present time, mask wearing to prevent the spread of disease has had extensive research been put into it for the past 100 years, if you really wanted to educate yourself there are plenty of papers out there that explain the benefits, the fact that people on this sub have been saying scientists are wrong and they will changer their mind in a few months and say there was no need for masks  is just worrisome. Wearing face masks tyranny Now??? let’s be honest most people who have a problem with masks and are refusing to wear out of discomfort nothing else.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Still there are staff who don’t even attempt to practice social distancing. Then you’ve the ones where it goes out the window because they’ve a face covering on. Usually removing it to speak with you.

Morris999

So my experience in a Tesco extra on way home this evening,
About 5 people waiting patiently for a old gentleman to move from the frozen section, was clear they all wanted same mod as him, a Tesco colleague without a mask on who was clearly doing her shopping, decided to barge past everyone, move the old gentleman’s trolley out the way, stand literally on top of him, reach past him and take what he was about to pick up!
With no thought whatsoever about any social distancing or his safety.
The glares from everyone said it all, the colleague said in response  “ I don’t have to wear a mask as I work here!”
To which a customer said” you are clearly at this point a customer and not working”
She quickly put her head down and stormed off.
Now bearing in mind this colleague was clearly in her late 50’s early 60’s and clearly obese you would have thought she would be more careful.
At which point the young colleague on the aisle came up and apologised, and stated that while Tesco does strongly encourage colleagues to wear masks, some in store are making a point of not wearing them.

Now if this is the actions and attitude of those colleagues not wearing them, then as far as I’m concerned Tesco or the government need to make it mandatory for shop workers to wear masks.
This isn’t the only time I’ve seen shop workers act like this since the introduction of them, and it’s mostly Tesco colleagues that I’ve witnessed doing it.

trivi

How did everyone find it in the heat today?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk