News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:39PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 296
Total: 300

CDD told stay past contracted time

Started by Voulezvous, 16-03-20, 04:32PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voulezvous

Hi..im a CDD and contracted to work 6pm-10pm, last week i brought 2 deliveries back to store as it was past 10pm...team support pulled me in and said next time i dont deliver/attempt to deliver even past my contract time ill be getting a lets talk...everyone else in store finishes bang on time so why should CDD be any different.

Katarn2000

You need to complete the job. Ideally on time but if not stay. I'm sure most people on here well immediately tell you to take out a grievance or refuse but honestly you need to look after your customers or they will shop elsewhere and you won't have a job.

fatboy

Katarn2000 you're completely wrong. Policy is to bring back any deliveries you dont have time to do within your contracted hours. One of the options on the SDS when you select could not deliver is 'run out of time'. Why would the option be there if it not to be used. Also if the driver was then contacted to work 8am to 6pm the following day then they would not have had sufficient rest time between shifts if staying out after 10pm to do the deliveries.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Voulezvous on 16-03-20, 04:32PM
Hi..im a CDD and contracted to work 6pm-10pm, last week i brought 2 deliveries back to store as it was past 10pm...team support pulled me in and said next time i dont deliver/attempt to deliver even past my contract time ill be getting a lets talk...everyone else in store finishes bang on time so why should CDD be any different.

They shouldn't be assigning deliveries to you if it takes you past your end time on shift, they can ask you for overtime but can't make you stay, if a lets talk occurs make sure it's written down that you're expected to stay past your contracted hours (even better if you can get them to put without pay) and grievance it to the personnel manager stipulating employment law as per the clauses of your contract.

lucgeo

You tell them that won't be the case...you will be returning undelivered if past your time, otherwise you will be asking for a lets talk with your rep present, better still put it in writing and hand it to the team support and a copy to your manager!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

Quote from: Katarn2000 on 16-03-20, 04:55PM
You need to complete the job. Ideally on time but if not stay. I'm sure most people on here well immediately tell you to take out a grievance or refuse but honestly you need to look after your customers or they will shop elsewhere and you won't have a job.

Oh behave!!  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Quote from: lucgeo on 16-03-20, 05:29PM

You tell them that won't be the case...you will be returning undelivered if past your time, otherwise you will be asking for a lets talk with your rep present, better still put it in writing and hand it to the team support and a copy to your manager!

Do not sign up to USDAW, as soon as that union-in-name-only is liquidated the better, just follow the terms of your contract and use legal language to scare the Tesco higher ups, if needs be, sue Tesco into liquidation. ACAS can help.

Welshie

They will put the blame on you , "why cant you do your job in the allocated time " , they're not stupid enough to tell you to stay on .

gomezz

Quote from: fatboy on 16-03-20, 05:20PM
Katarn2000 you're completely wrong. Policy is to bring back any deliveries you dont have time to do within your contracted hours. One of the options on the SDS when you select could not deliver is 'run out of time'. Why would the option be there if it not to be used. Also if the driver was then contacted to work 8am to 6pm the following day then they would not have had sufficient rest time between shifts if staying out after 10pm to do the deliveries.
No driver should still be contracted to work a a full day shift following an evening shift anymore following the breach of the WTD by the company in contravention of the law.  This should all have been sorted last year.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

fatboy

Very true that it should have been sorted but we still have a few drivers in our store working evenings then the following full day. Dont know if it goes on in any other stores still?

Villager No.6

That’s a very serious breach of the GB domestic driving rules, you should bring it to the attention of management immediately. 
We recently had a new driver who was supposed to be working a day shift turn up in the afternoon and when I asked why he said he’d been asked to do an afternoon and evening shift and the evening driver had come in and done the morning. He was in the next day for a full day shift. I told him he couldn’t do that, he said he was told it was ok. It took me and two other drivers to explain to the manager that day why he would be breaking the law and they still insisted he was ok to go out as he’d not exceeded 10 hrs driving time. It’s 11 hours DUTY time in 24 hours which he was exceeding. In the end they told him to clock out, go home and do another afternoon /evening which was ok as he was off the next day. But they did it very reluctantly.
I had a new driver buddied up with me last week when my van load was 845kg. Pointing out that I couldn’t as I’d be overweight was fruitless, in the end I told the guy to go and get an empty tray for returns then left without him.

Ironightbeast565

Does anyone know anyone who gave an instruction to sell their SAYE scheme shares who's shares were sold last Thursday 12th March.If so any idea what the share price was that they sold at?

optout

Who would be the best people/authority outside of messco for the OP to complain to?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

hesketh

There is no need to complain outside of Tesco.

1) Overtime is optional. Tesco's own rule.

2) It is up to your "manager" to manage your day. If you can't finish in time it is their fault and their problem (unless you are doing something wrong)

Let them take their disciplinary action and then appeal. Keep appealing until you get to someone who actually knows their job!
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

optout

@Hesketh

Or complain to a relevant outside agency that uzco are not following policy, and let the outside agency do all the talking for you, no disrespect here, but i know which option would have the faster and greater effect, if such an option were available.
Are you aware if such an option is available (re the outside agency)?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

hesketh

The only "outside agencies" Tesco will deal with are Usdaw and ACAS (unless a legal entity is called for, of course). The company would take a very dim view of anyone causing disrepute by airing such things in public.

This is simply a case of a poorly trained, and under resourced, "manager" attempting to hit targets by bullying and coercion. Tesco will not tolerate such behaviour once they are made aware of it.

Most of the things that Tesco get slated for are similar and this will continue until people stop ineffectual moaning and start reporting and appealing up the chain. There are policies and procedures in place, use them or lose them!
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

fatboy

WTF

[admin]The WTF Post deleted. Thank you to those who are reporting spam posts, appreciated.[/admin]

piaggio1

Well as soon as it gets 30 minutes before my shift ends I'm on my way back to store.  They have no idea i.e. traffic,wrong address etc.

horatiocain

If you run out of time being it back, otherwise it becomes expected of you.
Enforced overtime is legal, but must be stipulated in detail how, when and in what manner in your contract of employment, which it isn't so they cannot make you work past your time.

If they give you a let's talk write on it that they're breaking their contract of employment with you and you refuse, then hand it back, see if they want to file it then.

As to anyone breaking the driving hours rules, raise it immediately to the store manager, inform him it's a £3000fine per offence, not the £300 fixed penalty Tesco training claims, and that he is also liable for a separate and equal fine.

NightAndDay

Enforced overtime is legal if stipulated in the contract, but must be payable to hourly wage workers as well as to salaried if it brings average hourly rate below legal minimum.

fatboy

Only with the correct notice being given. If you were out on a run & ran out of time you would just take remaining drops back to store as no you would have had zero notice to work overtime.

VladPutin

Quote from: Katarn2000 on 16-03-20, 04:55PM

You must be a manager. No one who actually works for a living would say something that stupid. 8-)

Cazlewcazlew

You are sticking to driving hours regulation. Could be driving early next morning for all they know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk