News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:59PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,127
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 294
Total: 296

CSD moving

Started by beahead, 14-07-22, 06:31PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatajoke2019

This happened before I started at the Big T but we were always warned against it/made to sign a sheet as a bloke who'd been with the company donkeys years kept some stuff back for later on and was given the boot by their manager.

Mind you... nothing ever happened to the bloke (who has since retired) who purposely used to damage/hide stock and put it behind the pharmacy (how he never set the intruder alarms off I'll never know because if something ever fell over in there it went off!)

Back on topic and a Sainsbury's I stopped off at the other day have moved their CSD/Tobacco kiosk within metres of the self serve/smart shop checkouts now.

snufflesthebear

I think the CSD/Kiosk is on its last legs. In all my ten years working on there I've never known there to be as many clothing returns and F&F won't open their fitting rooms. We are down to a single person serving 8-5 then 5-10. We can't get returns put back. We can't get our cigarette delivery put away. Everyone on the department is stressed. We've gone from having 14 staff to 5 and were still told we are over hours. We are a large extra. We are busy all day and all night. Something is really off about this and the way the CSD is being treated. All of our equipment and tills have faults and have had them for years and despite them being logged they never get fixed.

Store manager doesn't care. Forum meetings don't do anything. CSD manager doesn't care. It's just rubbish

lucgeo

Who is covering your breaks, toilet breaks  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

snufflesthebear

Usually falls to checkout team leaders. When someone is off sic/holiday, the store manager doesn't give our overtime to cover the shifts. But they somehow find overtime to have colleagues "greet" people to talk about aisles moving aka walk around talking to colleagues.

LittleMiss

We are a small superstore, selling lots of lotto and tobacco and so many returns on stupid items it's unreal. We single man most of the time and say we are over hours. We have a Friday evening shift, Saturday afternoon/evening shift and Sunday shift that no one is even contracted to so unless their covered by overtime they are screwed. Where overtime has been cut they have had to shut the desk by 7.30pm on a Saturday. There's is no room by tills for the desk to be moved. I would love for the people in their suits who sit behind a desk all day who decide on this and that to work in our shoes for couple days, they would realise what stress everyone is under. It's only going to get worse.

Batmanjo

Quote from: snufflesthebear on 26-07-22, 05:17PMI think the CSD/Kiosk is on its last legs. In all my ten years working on there I've never known there to be as many clothing returns and F&F won't open their fitting rooms. We are down to a single person serving 8-5 then 5-10. We can't get returns put back. We can't get our cigarette delivery put away. Everyone on the department is stressed. We've gone from having 14 staff to 5 and were still told we are over hours. We are a large extra. We are busy all day and all night. Something is really off about this and the way the CSD is being treated. All of our equipment and tills have faults and have had them for years and despite them being logged they never get fixed.

Store manager doesn't care. Forum meetings don't do anything. CSD manager doesn't care. It's just rubbish

I would think "they" have many reasons for moving the C/S desk.
One being they will have the option to utilise the desk as alternative to manned checkouts for when the AXE comes down on manned checkouts and they are all changed to self service.
I believe it is also to save on redundancies of C/S staff hence the union agreement to change T & C for contracts, just like Mark Antony stabbed Caesar in the back the Union have hit even lower levels with their ultimate sell out to all staff without even a vote on this contentious legislation. They will just keep pushing the older staff out given every chance the Union gives or helps them with.
All staff in the future will be on minimum hour contracts and will only get over time if you are part of the click. :thumbdown:     

Redshoes

As from Oct when we are able to recruit we need to aim to give out minimum of 16 hour contracts. Before we can do this we need to offer out the hours to first of all colleague on less than 16 hours but once we have done this the hours can go to those on over 16 hours. Colleagues need to show increased availability before they can take on these hours, for a four hour additional shift you need to show six hours availability.
For a while now we have been briefed on aiming to give out higher contracted contracted shifts, for festive temps and roles that will probable become permanent. There just has to be a bit of give and take. If the hours are 1700-2100 we can't give to someone who wants more hours but won't work evenings. If the hours are needed on a sat we can't give out on a Tues.

jm876546886

Quote from: ViolationsFight on 23-07-22, 01:18AM>:( Did you read the pay review 2018/2019 anyone working on CSD is classed as D grade which makes you entitled to 0.49 skill payment any format.
Hmmm maybe that's why the sudden move...

I have a feeling they are trying to devalue the role and remove the skills payment.

madness

Checkouts and dot compicking should be the lowest pay grade. Big fat bertha and pixkers with zero responsibility for anything. Fillers back door stock control etc 1 level up. And wages/admin and csd 1 level up from that.

lucgeo

Quote from: Redshoes on 05-08-22, 09:40AMAs from Oct when we are able to recruit we need to aim to give out minimum of 16 hour contracts. Before we can do this we need to offer out the hours to first of all colleague on less than 16 hours but once we have done this the hours can go to those on over 16 hours. Colleagues need to show increased availability before they can take on these hours, for a four hour additional shift you need to show six hours availability.
For a while now we have been briefed on aiming to give out higher contracted contracted shifts, for festive temps and roles that will probable become permanent. There just has to be a bit of give and take. If the hours are 1700-2100 we can't give to someone who wants more hours but won't work evenings. If the hours are needed on a sat we can't give out on a Tues.

So even the mighty Tesco has conceded to what CA 's have been saying all along, low hour contracts don't maintain staff, and the 7.5 contracts have no retention or loyalty value from colleagues.

Good to see the old ways of offering more hours to the current colleagues first has returned. It was always these are the shifts available who wants them? Those who didn't want the specific hours of a shift didn't apply??  Can't understand why a colleague would say " I can't do the Saturday, can I have the hours on a Monday instead??"  Could it be from Tesco advertising jobs for specific shift times, then rejecting anyone because they were actually only available to work the shift times advertised  ???  :-X

londoner83

From October to offer a 16hr job to a new recruit they have to have 24hrs availability and under the new contract their 16hrs will be from within their availability window.

Cosmo

Hi, slightly off topic here but I'm unsure where else to ask.

In my store we have had a revamp of the self service tills. I am now asked to cover 4 scan as you shop tills and 12 self service tills on my own.

Can anyone confirm if this is allowed as I find it way too much to handle on my own.

Thanks.

lackofinterest

refuse. it's an unreasonable request >:(

lucgeo

This question has come up before ???  It used to be a set amount per colleague, my hazy recollection is 4-6 depending on time of day, as in how busy the store is projected to be.

Noe there's a few supporters on here who'd definitely know the ratio, and there's some reps who can find out from their area office. So if there's any one out there, in the know, then please can you clear this up or point to where it can be found?  Let's put this query to print for future reference for new colleagues  :thumbup:

kaled78

we have 1 person covering 8 self service tills,at all times regardless of if it's busy or quiet

lackofinterest

at the beginning it was agreed with usdaw that one person runs no more than 4. but over the years it seems to have become the norm for one person to run up to 8. usdaw will agree with tosco no matter what >:(

Attilla

Regrettably Usdaw takes our money and delivers nothing. Not seen a Union officer in years, last time one turned up spent their time in the office with management.   Ever any consultation with member over the pay diktat.  Shocking example of a Union

madness

Quote from: kaled78 on 10-09-22, 08:35AMwe have 1 person covering 8 self service tills,at all times regardless of if it's busy or quiet

We have 6 and when all 6 are in use the person complains it is too busy. So we put a 2nd person on at times and all they do is stand together and yap.

Teddybonkers

"Regrettably Usdaw takes our money...." - :thumbup:  It doesn't take mine.

Bobmay

Quote from: Redshoes on 05-08-22, 09:40AMAs from Oct when we are able to recruit we need to aim to give out minimum of 16 hour contracts. Before we can do this we need to offer out the hours to first of all colleague on less than 16 hours but once we have done this the hours can go to those on over 16 hours. Colleagues need to show increased availability before they can take on these hours, for a four hour additional shift you need to show six hours availability.
For a while now we have been briefed on aiming to give out higher contracted contracted shifts, for festive temps and roles that will probable become permanent. There just has to be a bit of give and take. If the hours are 1700-2100 we can't give to someone who wants more hours but won't work evenings. If the hours are needed on a Sat we can't give out on a Tues.

What about those on for example 23 hours an week part time permanent contract working three days are they expected to be available for overtime and be flexible with the new contract? What about if they aren't flexible and cant do any more hours except the hours they are doing now?

5fdp

If you are not flexible only put your current hours that you work. Don't put any more and you can't put less. It is not a must that you put more down it is only an ask from the company. It may hamper your chances of overtime but if you don't do any it makes no difference.  If you need overtime each week, your mgr will talk to you directly if you are seen as an asset to the dept (if they have any sense). We don't put our overtime down on the system 3 weeks in advance.  We go to the staff directly, this stops anybody putting their name down for overtime.

Redshoes

Quote from: Bobmay on 10-09-22, 11:48AM
For a while now we have been briefed on aiming to give out higher contracted contracted shifts, for festive temps and roles that will probable become permanent. There just has to be a bit of give and take. If the hours are 1700-2100 we can't give to someone who wants more hours but won't work evenings. If the hours are needed on a Sat we can't give out on a Tues.

What about those on for example 23 hours an week part time permanent contract working three days are they expected to be available for overtime and be flexible with the new contract? What about if they aren't flexible and cant do any more hours except the hours they are doing now?

Everyone is being asked to increase availability, it is only an ask. If additional hours come up and you want to take them on as contracted hours the expectation is that you will show 1.5 availability for these hours. Additional contracted hours should be offered to those on less than 16 hours first. Then it goes to those on more than 16 hours if not taken up by others. I think a lot of this will then depend on how difficult it is to fill a shift but the brief is that if not taken up by existing colleagues it can then be advertised. Even so, the store needs to put together a business case to show recruitment is needed.
If you are on a fixed contract you are only being asked if you are able to increase availability. You are not required to do so. You will soon be able to change availability online, you can't permanently reduce it online but you can do temp changes and modify.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk