News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 09:19AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 454
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 426
Total: 429

Pay Review 2022

Started by yeetus, 29-03-22, 08:30PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tesc0Wow

I think checkout/front end team support in superstores is going to be the next thing to go. Or at least streamline it so we have more Shift Leads who can do everything. I work in a small/medium superstore and realistically when more self serve comes in, there's going to be no need for them. The shift lead wears a headset and goes down if they need.

The lack of a pay difference between SL & TS is a joke too. The Shift Lead is often sorting out problems the team support can't solve as duty... they're 2 very different roles and one is significantly more challenging than the other.

Queenxxbeee

What about Customer Service colleagues? Are they getting pay rise?

dairyfresh

Customer service desk 10 72 from 10 52

AsdaBeBetter

Yet again no mention of Salaried colleagues, we are always an afterthought

5fdp

If you get paid by the hour ie, you have an hourly rate , you are getting a 20p pay rise. Then on January 2023 the next payrise will be discussed to be actioned by spring. This is rather than the usual July payrise.

Donk180

At what point is it not worth being a salaried manager anymore. Our store has location pay which everyone apart from managers got and our pay rises are pathetic. We apparently decided for the union to not negotiate our pay. I have been a manager for 15 years and never had the option to have my say on who should negotiate for us. This decision was made for us, not by us.

chris9997

The salaried managers need to remember they are not dangerously close to the nmw like hourly paid staff are and this rise I am sure is more to do with that the rise in nmw in April may make them foul of the law, also salaried managers have known that there wage rises are largely linked to performance .

Tesc0Wow

They are still people tho and no matter what your salary is you deserve a pay increase at or above inflation

NightAndDay

Quote from: chris9997 on 07-10-22, 12:47AMThe salaried managers need to remember they are not dangerously close to the nmw like hourly paid staff are and this rise I am sure is more to do with that the rise in nmw in April may make them foul of the law, also salaried managers have known that there wage rises are largely linked to performance .

Maintaining pay differentials is an extremely important part of retaining staff, they can't bamboozle the lowest paid because of legal requirements of minimum pay, but it's swings and roundabouts, if they take it out of the lower managers, I would guess there are plenty that would take a £2k paycut to be a CA from team manager, leading to even more shortages, leading to less profit. They'd just end up bamboozling themselves.

Davethebave

Hourly colleagues get 20p
Board of directors get a big bonus
Management on all levels get nothing

JJH

Quote from: NightAndDay on 05-10-22, 03:52PMAre TMs still paid £22k a year at the lowest rung, I don't see it personally but if it is the case, a full timer CA working Sundays would only be on about £1.5-2k less a year than a TM. In fact, Shift Leaders would be paid more.

They've increased the starting rate for a newly appointed TM to 24K

JJH

Quote from: chris9997 on 07-10-22, 12:47AMThe salaried managers need to remember they are not dangerously close to the nmw like hourly paid staff are and this rise I am sure is more to do with that the rise in nmw in April may make them foul of the law, also salaried managers have known that there wage rises are largely linked to performance .

I think you're missing the point, this rise is largely due to the rise in the cost of living. As myself and other managers have pointed out, we're just as impacted by this as everyone else!

Sherwoodforest

Are managers not given pay rises on annual review performance anymore?
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

Babs

I think increasing staff Clubcard discount to 50% would be a smart move

5fdp

Quote from: Sherwoodforest on 07-10-22, 06:48PMAre managers not given pay rises on annual review performance anymore?
yes they are, However, depending on where you are on the store banding you may not get a pay rise even though you might be the best of the best. Many mgrs get only 1% pay rise or nothing. This is usually mgrs that have a few years service in the same position. I know mgrs who have had 1 payrise in the last 3 yrs. So many mgrs now have no incentive to do a better job for the company.

Donk180

I can only speak for myself here but I don't grudge the customer assistants getting a pay rise. I think it's great. All that I expect is that we get the same percentage. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm now doing a job role that's 3 times the size as 2 years ago with no additional wages and a massively under inflation pay rise. Is that fair and consistent?

londoner83

Obviously colleagues earn less and they deserve their pay increase. However I don't get why the business has given even a token gesture to its salaried staff.

Managers, with the mystery pay bandings that Tesco are reluctant to share (what other job would offer you a salary within a pay band you are not allowed to know); and performance related pay many performing managers are lucky to get at most 1-2% a year. Others get zero as they are either at top of the banding or they are judged as having underperformed.

As colleagues pay increase the gap between colleagues and a newly appointed manager is getting less and less. When many managers are promoted colleagues will they continue to seek far bigger roles with added stress for not much financial reward.

NightAndDay

The real living wage was updated to £10.90 outside of London and £11.95 inside, before the update, Tesco et al have been on record saying "we pay the real living we to all of our employees" it's a PR tactic to do pay reviews before September - october to appear in a better light to the gullible public. This raise was necessary, £10.10 an hour is 80p below the real living wage, they were politically forced to increase it because of the updated rates. Their tactic of matching the real living wage before the update only work when there isn't huge cost pressures, the biggest increase to it in over a decade, even their lag tactic wouldn't work.

What has changed is that these companies can't say that they pay the living wage any more, they'll probably start pushing the whole "when taken as a whole including benefits" dialogue which will run counter to what Ken Murphy has been saying for the past 2 years around simplifying pay and benefits as colleagues want a higher base rate.

barafear

I don't like to disagree, but I don't recall that Tesco (or others) have openly/publicly stated that they pay the "real living wage" (by which I assume you mean the Living Wage Foundation wage" to all staff.
Just to clarify, or it might sound like I'm being picky - although the Living Wage Foundation is a "voluntary scheme" some companies/other organisations sign up to it to "look good" - however, although the rates you quote above are correct and although the Living Wage Foundation encourage their "members" to pay the rate as quickly as possibly, in reality, companies have until next May to pay this rate and still be compliant.
I agree with most of the rest of what you say - but to clarify, when Tesco stated that colleagues want a higher base rate - I'm not sure this was actually based on anything factual - and also, I wouldn't say that colleagues would want a higher base rate at the expense of the other "very minor perks" that we enjoy - e.g. Staff discount, the possibility of a staff bonus, the payment of premiums for night/Sundays/BHs, or possibly the loss of location pay - just like skills payments, location payment rates have remained frozen for at least 8 years (maybe longer) -

Would you think Tesco staff would forgo their staff discount (worth a max of £1500 per year - but for many much less) if Tesco immediately raised the base rate to £10.90?

Morris999

The issue you have is that there is a large population of colleagues who do not work Sundays or bank holidays and would gladly give up the premiums for these days for a higher base rate of pay.
And it's the same with the colleague discount.
I myself would gladly give up the colleague discount if the increase in base pay was high enough.

NightAndDay

Quote from: barafear on 10-10-22, 11:34AMI don't like to disagree, but I don't recall that Tesco (or others) have openly/publicly stated that they pay the "real living wage" (by which I assume you mean the Living Wage Foundation wage" to all staff.
Just to clarify, or it might sound like I'm being picky - although the Living Wage Foundation is a "voluntary scheme" some companies/other organisations sign up to it to "look good" - however, although the rates you quote above are correct and although the Living Wage Foundation encourage their "members" to pay the rate as quickly as possibly, in reality, companies have until next May to pay this rate and still be compliant.
I agree with most of the rest of what you say - but to clarify, when Tesco stated that colleagues want a higher base rate - I'm not sure this was actually based on anything factual - and also, I wouldn't say that colleagues would want a higher base rate at the expense of the other "very minor perks" that we enjoy - e.g. Staff discount, the possibility of a staff bonus, the payment of premiums for night/Sundays/BHs, or possibly the loss of location pay - just like skills payments, location payment rates have remained frozen for at least 8 years (maybe longer) -

Would you think Tesco staff would forgo their staff discount (worth a max of £1500 per year - but for many much less) if Tesco immediately raised the base rate to £10.90?

This has been what David Lewis and Ken Murphy had been pushing across in the last few pay reviews, if you would like I can post a link showing that he does say words to that effect.

Also though the likes of Co-op and Tesco aren't members of the real living wage foundation, that doesn't stop from saying they pay the real living wage when giving the traditional commentary on any pay review, the Co-op has done this on their last pay review despite the real living wage being updated a month later.

barafear

I've had a quick search on Tesco's annual accounts/statement - I agree that Tesco have pushed the "total reward package (incl pension/discounts/etc.) and indeed in the 2017 annual accounts the following paragraph was in the accounts:

In the UK, the total reward package for a typical customer assistant is ahead of the voluntary Living Wage on a national basis and the
same hourly rate is paid to all colleagues regardless of age. The Company is committed to rewarding colleagues with a total reward
package that provides them with choice and that they really value.

In 2019, the message was a bit more vague:

In November, we implemented the final stage of a 10.5% pay increase for our hourly-paid UK store colleagues. We
have a consistent principle that we aim to pay all colleagues competitively against the relevant pay benchmark.
By 2020, the message continued to be vague:

Between 2015/16 and 2019/20, we have invested significantly in pay for our customer-facing colleagues, and the hourly-rate for UK store
colleagues has increased by 14%. Over the same period, the base salary of Dave Lewis and Alan Stewart has remained unchanged as set out
in the chart on page 62.
I believe Alan Stewart may have been (and might still be) a director of Finance. I guess, the above is strictly speaking completely true, but the bonuses/share incentives given to these directors over the same period of time far outweighed the 14% increase given to colleagues (an increase that Tesco was legally obliged to give in order to remain legal!)

2021's message was very much "Covid" related:

Throughout the pandemic, Tesco has ensured that colleagues have not faced any redundancies or furlough. Recognising the
significant and lasting contribution to keeping their nations fed, Tesco introduced a 10% bonus for hourly-paid colleagues in the
UK & ROI between March and June 2020. This was repeated for a further four-week period, recognising the challenges over the
busy Christmas and New Year period. A further 2% bonus will be paid to hourly-paid colleagues in June 2021 for their continued
contribution and efforts throughout the year.
No specific mention was made of actual hourly rates or reference to any minimum or living wage.

And finally, in last year's report:

Colleagues truly are at the heart of our business and their skills and capabilities
have enabled us to deliver for our customers through the challenges of recent times. We recently reached an
agreement with USDAW for a substantial increase in UK base pay – by 5.8% to £10.10 for hourly-paid store and customer
fulfilment centre (CFC) colleagues. We have also announced a one-off thank you payment of 1.25% of annual earnings
to hourly-paid store, CFC and customer engagement centre colleagues in the UK.
This payment recognises the contribution of our colleagues and is part of a wider
investment in making Tesco a great place to work, which includes supporting their
physical and mental wellbeing, both in and out of work and building an inclusive culture where everyone feels welcome.
So, reference to paying the voluntary living wage has disappeared over the years - and in fact, it is not really difficult for Tesco (or many of its rivals) to even contemplate it - as they are all "just about managing to keep ahead of the much lower legal NLW".

It's also a mixed message for Tesco to refer one minute to a "higher base rate" and then refer to "overall reward package"

But clearly, with nearly every pay award over the last few years, there has been more rhetoric around these sorts of things - in fact, with the new contracts coming in this month - that was a "condition" of the last pay award (that record breaking 5.8%, 55p pay increase) - and obviously the loss of the annual bonus paid for a previous pay award to "increase our base rate" (as wanted by colleagues) and then before that the cut in Sunday premiums to 1.25 (from 1.5) was also used to "pay for a pay increase" - and obviously going back further other premiums/perks have been cut.

I love the way they got rid of "subsidised" staff canteens a few years back - and now in the cost of living crisis they are stating they are providing free food in our canteens. I cannot comment on this too much as I haven't been in our canteen for a while - but others on here seem to suggest it's a skant offering at best.

I also not that the latest 20p pay announcement came with an added note that Tesco would bring forward their pay discussions with Usdaw to earlier in the year so that pay awards can be paid sooner than July!! However, for the last five years or so, the pay award has been delayed until the late Autumn in order to make it affordable to Tesco - so are we now saying that the discussions/forums will take place between whatever dates - with a view to actually implementing a pay award in April?
I'm sure previously, the pay award was leaked in February - but still didn't actually get paid till much later.

forrestgimp

Quote from: Davethebave on 07-10-22, 03:35PMHourly colleagues get 20p
Board of directors get a big bonus
Management on all levels get nothing

Yea my heart bleeds for them.

barafear

News of "payrise" for managers (salaried staff) reported in various publications - below copied from Grocery Gazette I think.

Salaried Tesco workers have been forced to take a pay cut in real-terms as the retailer looks to offer larger wage increases for lower-paid workers amid the cost-of-living crisis.

Team managers at the UK's largest supermarket, who typically earn around £30,000 a year, say they have received pay rises of around 3% this year. The real-terms cut in their salaries have come as store management they have seen a significant increase in their workload because of job cuts.

"We all feel very let down. Tesco is publicly stating that it understands how its colleagues are struggling yet appears to be excluding a whole chunk of store staff," one team manager said.

A Tesco spokesperson said the company was working hard to support staff: "We benchmark pay for all roles at Tesco to ensure they are competitive against the market and we're also mindful of the broader economic pressures our colleagues face.

"Our team managers do brilliant work, day in day out, and in addition to their pay increase this year, they also received a bonus of 4.5% in May. We're currently speaking to both colleagues and our union representatives to understand how we might be able to support these colleagues further."

Tesco is also bringing forward its next pay review to January, about three months earlier than usual, meaning hourly paid workers can expect a pay-rise much sooner.

"We have consistently raised the issue of pay for salaried employees within Tesco and we are pressing the business to do more for these colleagues too, given the extent and depth of the cost-of-living crisis," national officer for the shopworkers' union Usdaw, Daniel Adams said.

He added: "We continue to relay the feedback of members to the business and will be discussing the situation further with the business at our next national consultative meeting."

The supermarket said earlier this week that the basic hourly rate of pay in Tesco stores would increase by 20p to £10.30 (or £10.98 in London), taking the total pay rise this year to 8%.

As inflation nears 10% and is forecast to hit 11% next month, more job losses are expected as Tesco looks to ease the squeeze on its operating costs.

Sherwoodforest

Why do managers think the workload has increased,yes checkouts has garage,kiosk,trollies now,but probably headcount less than 3 years ago,holidays will be online,team support should do rotas,,,stock manager has extra now,wages,merch,cash office,but most routines simpler,shorter,did they think it unfair having probably 5-10 staff few years ago compared to checkouts 50 odd,probably not,fresh mostly combined manager now,but again,head count probably low,yes you all have extra depts because your head counts were low,
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk