News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 11:35AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

occupational health

Started by dfl, 13-01-22, 10:52PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfl

i had about 7 weeks off with pain in my lower abdomen, returned to work on light duties (my choice to do so), all covered by doctors fit notes for every absence and light duties notes since first being off, have had 2 ultrasounds and most recently a CT scan for which im awaiting result, up till now tesco have been pretty good putting me on light duties, but have now decided they can no longer support this and want me back on "my own job" as "its proving to difficult to maintain me being on the lighter job"

my "proper" job involves heavy lifting (which is against my own doctors advice at least till diagnosis is made to what the issue is). They want to go to O.H. what do i need to watch out for with this (any tricks tesco/manager may get up to in anyones experience).

all comments appreciated.
DFL

Redshoes

On one hand a company as big as ours should be able to accommodate a move to lighter duties.
A temp move is normally on a three wk basis, but we are not living in normal times. People are generally not even getting to see a dr within that time.
If the store is over hours, does it really matter which dept it is, but the expectations of any replenishment area are high so to move another person into a role away from replenishment is tough on the store.

On the other hand the reality is that there are hardly any jobs classed as light duties.
Checkouts still have to lift slabs of beer. The wages clerks tend to to do the laundry. Cash off have heavy bags of money. Stock control move cages to get at stock. PI lift corners of stacks to place POS. It's very difficult too if can only perform part of a role. I have heard of one person moved into PI who then said they could only do middle shelves and somebody else would have to pick up the top and bottom shelves. I have also known of someone on the kiosk who said they can't serve on lottery as unable to stretch when serving scratch cards. PFS colleague refusing to take part in doing the daily shop or fill the shelves, so the 70 year old, cancer surviving, colleague is doing it but the 35 year old can't.

I understand that we are all different and some have a much greater ability to move on from an illness or injury but Expectations need to be realistic. If light duties are requested for more than a very temp basis they need to be backed up with medical fact. Support should not be refused but the reality is that retail is a physical job. Clarification is needed if it is temp or more permanent move, so I suggest occupational health referral. If restricted duties you also need an adjustment passport and possibly a risk assessment.

Managers are not doctors, some may think so but they are not. That is what oh is for. They are dr or nurses. They understand the medical situation and can make the right recommendations.

lucgeo

There are plenty of duties that don't require heavy lifting...Tesco keep going on about 1 team! Changed the name badges from dept specific to CA, as the thinking is you are expected to cover any dept any time, "where and when required"  ??? is this system in place at your store, that states you are on a certain dept that shift, when you clock in?
The manager is being very reckless on insisting you perform heavy lifting duties before the results of your scan is back :-X

Some of the duties you could do would be :-
Gap scan
Self serve
CSD serving tobacco and lottery
10 items or less checkout
Deli counter, if you still have one open on certain days.

They could also take the opportunity to train you on other procedures in the store e.g.
Wages
Dot com screen systems
Product investigations
PFS to cover for breaks etc..
CSD returns and other procedures they cover
You could shadow a stockie, learn their complex routines, counts and all the different routine usage with the PDA

As usual Tesco are tunnel visioned when it comes to utilising their workforce to the best of their abilities...how often are the colleagues stretched to breaking in their undermanned depts due to holiday or sickness, but can't get help as no one is trained to do the job!

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

dfl

I was a driver in dotcom, and apart from the lifting issues, carrying heavy loads up flats, the nature of the issue meant even pulling the van shutter down was painful, the issue is less prominent now than before (its about 5 - 6 months on since a&e when the pain was bad enough that walking was difficult), but i assume due to covid, waiting lists for 2 ultrasounds, which ended up being 2 seperate waits, then further wait for CT and result still not available. I had been put out buddying for few weeks, then on to click and collect, which although not perfect the shopping only gets slid out van and then to ground level, van was always being loaded for me (kudos to them for supporting me with that). My position is tho until result back from hospital thats as heavy as im prepared to do. Manager met with me recently just one on one to say that cannot keep me on click and collect due to dept staffing issues but from what i gather its more because some staff who were on c&c are kicking off because they are having to drive instead. Surely keeping me on C&C until i actually get result is more appropriate than o.h. although at least that way i may actually be able to get some speedy medical opinion instead of the long waits I've had so far.

Oh and throughout I've made it very clear i'd do any shifts required to help out, and any hours I've been asked to change i have done so.
DFL

lucgeo

121 meeting...just testing the water. Unless you're specifically told, in a formal SYA meeting, then it's status quo.

Indeed, you have met them more than half way, accommodated the shift changes etc...nah! It'll be others whinging, but your medical condition and the support plan in place is not open for discussion or explanation!
If they're trained as drivers, then they drive and support the department, it's not of any concern to them whether you're in another section of the same department!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

hesketh

Our "manager" recently attempted to use the OH route to shift several drivers from Support Plans.

OH do not work for Tesco and they are health care professionals. As such they are very averse to exposing themselves to prosecution for wrong decisions which cause further damage to the patient.

Every driver that they saw continued exactly as they were before and now have it officially sanctioned.

If you are still awaiting a consultation, diagnosis or test results there is no way in hell that any health care professional is going to pronounce you fit for anything that you do not consider yourself able to do.

My advice is to push for an OH assessment as soon as possible and watch your "manager" wind his neck in.....
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

dfl

the manager is the one suggesting o.h. paperwork be filled in and signed asap, I have no issue with it although lucgeo and hesketh replies make me think manager shouldnt be doing this at all without a proper sya meeting, and that i should maybe say "no and wait till result comes back"
DFL

horatiocain

Firstly OH are great  they cost the store nothing and their advice is under medical grounds.
However Tesco can ignore them if they want, engage with OH fully, it's good for you, and tell them what your limitations are  however I know from experience they think they know better than world experts sometimes  so they're not that clever.
Once the report is back it will help them to make long term adjustments to your working to allow you to continue working.

Look out for the term 'we can make a job for you'
They can make a series of duties for you, which is what you're asking for.

Get a fit note from your GP specifying what you can and cannot do  if they refuse to support you file a comment  when that's ignored file a formal grievance and demand your hearing.

Light duties are always possible in a company this size  I say that as a former driver who was moved off driving, on drivers pay.

dfl

Thank you horatiocain
DFL

expresscoop

Quote from: hesketh on 14-01-22, 01:34PM
Our "manager" recently attempted to use the OH route to shift several drivers from Support Plans.

OH do not work for Tesco and they are health care professionals. As such they are very averse to exposing themselves to prosecution for wrong decisions which cause further damage to the patient.

Every driver that they saw continued exactly as they were before and now have it officially sanctioned.

If you are still awaiting a consultation, diagnosis or test results there is no way in hell that any health care professional is going to pronounce you fit for anything that you do not consider yourself able to do.

My advice is to push for an OH assessment as soon as possible and watch your "manager" wind his neck in.....

This! I have the same issue, once it went to OH the person doing the OH even said "this has backfired on him" when I told them how and why the manager was demanding I am the only person in the store for the particular role I would be the worst person for (eyesight issues) OH backed me fully and the manager, the ER boss and the DM all s*** themselves.

dfl

Thank you for the reassurance expresscoop
DFL

oldfashionedplayer

Had the same with mine, they kept complaining about my speed and attendance, gave me a warning, mentioned it on the OH, OH immediately called for my condition to be put under the disability and equality act and that further absences and attacks on me for it would be protected, took a long time but honestly worth going that route as compared to union, its on the colleagues side, not the companies.

forrestgimp

Quote from: dfl on 14-01-22, 01:56PM
the manager is the one suggesting o.h. paperwork be filled in and signed asap, I have no issue with it although lucgeo and hesketh replies make me think manager shouldnt be doing this at all without a proper sya meeting, and that i should maybe say "no and wait till result comes back"

Its in your own best interest to get OH involved as soon as possible so if or when they recommend a different role it can be actioned sooner.

They will probably wait until the results if any tests anyway.

dfl

Thanks forrestgimp, I have got o.h. involved now, just awaiting appointment with them, but agree with you that they probably wont do anything till test results come back, and in any case if my own doc says you have xyz wrong or other better outcome, I'm only really looking for doctor to say you can or can't go back to your own job and I will go with my own docs advice.
DFL

dfl

Does o.h. NEED to have access to my doctors info, i'd rather they form their own independent conclusion, it would be like a 2nd opinion for me.
DFL

ForCryingOutLoud

It is wise to involve OH. However, a note of caution based on personal experience and witnessing this with others; Tesco will use the report to move you out of your department/ role or at least they did at my store, if they have a hidden agenda.This may work in your favour or not, but something to be mindful of.

dfl

Thanks ForCryingOutLoad honestly i think they need to get me out the driving in any case, even to click and collect or in store so wouldnt be too worried about being moved out
DFL

dfl

Results from docs comes back with nothing abnormal found but suggests pain may be  Musculoskeletal   whatever that means, no further suggestions from the docs but suggests safe to return to full duties,  took so long this whole thing that its not an issue to me enough now to be on light duties as far as the doc or me is concerned, just gonna take its own sweet time to resolve 100%.

Not sure whether to keep o.h. involvement going or stop it, any suggestions on benefits vs risks of doing either ?
DFL

Nomad

On reading the NHS site on musculoskeletal it appears it would come under the remit of the disability discrimination laws, and all the allowances that that may invoke.

NHS talks of it as a long term disability.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

dfl

Thank you Nomad, so basically may mean that it could actually benefit me to go the o.h. route
DFL

grim up north

If OH makes recommendations to amend duties, do both sides have to follow it?

Nomad

dfl, I believe so.  Putting the NHS comments and disability laws together.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

ForCryingOutLoud

Both sides do not have to follow it, they are only recommendations. However, if you are deemed disabled  and this is a big IF, then you would fall under the DDA which would be alluded to in OH report.

dfl

Thank you ForCryingOutLoud thats helpful and good to know
DFL

grim up north

So if a staff member gets recommendations, T* and staff member work out a plan, can the staff member pick and choose when the recommendations apply?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk