News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-03-24, 05:36AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 37,969
  • Total Topics: 622
  • Online today: 82
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 56
Total: 60

Pay Increase 2021

Started by vyvan70, 25-10-21, 12:50PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zx81

Not many stores are minus 25 degrees I imagine and not many store staff could load tons of cages onto a trailer by hand, just saying 😜

madness

exactly, morbidly obese middle aged  sandra, helen and agnes are all going to load tonnes of stock in cold conditions.   

Go have a look at the checkouts on any weekday 9-3 its all this type, weekends are the kids who are just thre for beer money.

oldfashionedplayer

Well we hope you get the pay rises, it just helps us get ours later too with leigh day  :D

you keep plodding on making messes we have to clean up at the stores, more you strike and problems means more give in's and ammunition lol.

Redshoes

And yet we need everybody to function. Distribution do not serve the public. They don't have to put a smile on the face no matter how they are feeling inside. They are the ones who put the money in the till and in turn that pays the wages of all.
We need people at all levels and abilities. Loading cages in cold conditions may be a hard physical tsk but it's a job you applied for and work in. Others are still needed, it's the whole package that delivers. You may not want to do a checkout job but until you see that it is others still matter, even if the job may not be as physically demanding.
We are all cogs in a wheel and by dismissing others divides us and weakens the bargaining. Other roles are demanding, just in a different way.

VladPutin

Quote from: Zx81 on 28-11-21, 12:19AM
Not many stores are minus 25 degrees I imagine and not many store staff could load tons of cages onto a trailer by hand, just saying 😜

Apparently, given the state of the cages I pull off the wagons a couple of times a day, not many DC staff can correctly stack them either. You lot are fire and forget: shove the cages on to the wagons in any condition and let the stores sort out the mess. Literally.

Also, you lot only have to deal with managers. We have to deal with managers and customers. And it's a dead heat as to which group is dumber and more annoying.

And I haven't even mentioned the apparent inability of DC's to actually deliver on time. Pretty much every day we get stock top ups that should have been in store the previous evening.

So get off your high horse, pal. You're fooling no one. ;)

Nomad

To all:  topic is Pay Increase 2021 NOT interdepartmental bickering. 

[admin]Any more such posts will be deleted or heavily edited.[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

grim up north

I cant find the post about striking, but some agency workers have been brought in from a dc about to strike to get trained up on loading and so on. Is this allowed?

Nomad

This is related to pay issue.  :P

https://www.gov.uk/if-your-business-faces-industrial-action/nonunion-employees-and-strikes

QuoteYou cannot hire agency staff to provide temporary work cover during a strike.

Agency staff who are already in place as part of normal business can carry on as usual.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

grim up north

Nomad

"during"  will probably be interpreted as after staff walk out or have not reported for work.

" in place as part of normal business " would that be in any sector of the business ?

Like most of what Government says/does it's never clear cut and mostly ambiguous.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

grim up north

Yep, you can interpret it in so many ways it's basically meaningless

baldeagle

Tesco is facing potential disruption ahead of the key Christmas period at more than half of its 22 UK distribution centres, unless an agreement is reached with its staff.

The union Usdaw said 5,000 of its members had rejected a proposed 4% annual pay rise.

They will join Unite union members in taking industrial action at a total of 14 of the supermarket chain's distribution centres.

RocketRonnie100

Surely this is going to cause panic buying and absolute carnage.

lucgeo

Only to those who are daft enough :-X  last I knew there are numerous other supermarket chains out there, I certainly don't intend to enter the fray of an overpriced Tesco, as I need my Tesco brand mince pie fix   :)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Batmanjo

Quote from: barafear on 25-11-21, 12:12PM
I haven't been at Tesco long enough to know the history - but clearly whatever the Usdaw Collective agreement (re: Store Staff ) was when it was agreed, it doesn't feel too good now does it.

To be honest, I don't know how effective any strike action would be in stores - unless it received such backing so as to close stores - if a DC closes for a few days, it is not as transparent to the public - albeit there may be more gaps on the shelves - but with all the publicity about shortages for various reasons in the last few months the public are somewhat immune to noticing much different.

As for any "competitive" rate of pay for store staff - unfortunately, the Lidl news doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture - albeit it sounds great for Lidl workers.

In reality, it's a pay award coming in during March - so potentially a few weeks of being £10.10 vs. £8.91 NLW = around 14% above NLW - but from April it's 60p about NLW - or less than 7%.

Clearly, if Te$co hold at £9.55 for any length of time, then we will be minimally above the NLW - but I do think T might bring in a pay increase sooner than we have been used to - it might not be a lot - but it will stave off criticism of being literally paying peanuts above NLW -

What I mean about the Lidl deal is that it doesn't set the bar that high - there's no reason for Tesco to beat it - so that gives us an indication that any new deal from T will be around £9.85 range.....

and always that potential that some of our allowances might be taken away.

When you are on £9.55 and pay into a pension you would need to look into whether you are going below the NMW you can contact your pension advisor about this as they would need to opt you out of your payment before tax.

Carparkpothole

Quote from: Hammer10 on 25-11-21, 07:55AM
Not only dc ,s that need a decent pay rise what about store staff we are on nearly minimum wage whilst dc staff get more that 2 pounds a n hour more or even more than that.There could be a reason why they are sending in pallet after pallet of stock to stores because it has never been this bad before Xmas ever.you can't move in our warehouse .Looks like the hierarchy are not going to budge.

Anyone that thinks DCs are on 2 pound an hour more than stores is wrong. 40p to 80p maybe as all distribution centres are on different rates.

Yolomcb

I know this is probably not the right place but I've searched high and low and high again. I pay £2.64 "personal insurance" through my wage- who is this going to does anyone have any insight into the policy and how I can contact them? Been paying it for about 5 years and can find nothing at all t.i.a

lordadmiral

Hmm I think it's something to do with USDAW. Check their website.

barafear

Thought I'd reawaken this thread - even though we're now in 2022.

So with other supermarkets already announcing pay increases for their staff - Sainsbury's being the most recent - upping to £10/hr - when are Tesco likely to follow suit?

Sainsbury's seemed to be at much the same time as their Christmas trading update (which was today) - Tesco are reporting theirs tomorrow I believe - wonder if any mention about pay - or as most of us fear, we'll be pretty much paid at NLW from April. by the way the Sainsbury's increase is applicable from 22 March.

T.C.1

If you have a forum coming up in your store put forward for a pay increase say 6% as the same as DC'S and lorry drivers got then hopefully that will go to the national forum.

T.C.1

Even Pret A Manger are paying there staff £10 an hour!!

barafear

Not even sure we've got any reps I store, let alone Forum!! Also, 6% would only take us to 10.10 and that might also be at the cost of premiums and also highly unlikely to be paid from March

NightAndDay

Tesco is very crafty in their pay review timings, their last for instance was their red herring 5p above Sainsbury's increase, but Sainsbury's rate of pay was above Tesco for most of the year, a few months later Sainsbury's ups it to £10. When looked at macroscopically, all the competitors except Iceland and Coop pay more than Tesco.

Tesco only gives the illusion it pays more by having their pay review timings half a year after the competition, this means they can get up to all kind of illusionary shenanigans.

BUY TESLA STOCK

A manager in Lidl gets about £12 an hour.  Retail has historically been a poor paid sector.  What do people expect.  Inflation is not 6% either.

horatiocain

Tesco actively made a shift from being the better paid retail company many years ago.
It was shortsighted and caused a great deal of long service members to leave  combined with a far worse pension and slowly declining benefits package they are racing to the bottom  and seem surprised when staff retention levels plummet as does job satisfaction and thereby customer satisfaction its short sighted and stupid business management.

But who cares when they're getting paid their exorbitant salaries

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk