News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:39PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 277
Total: 281

Shift leaders

Started by Mark calloway, 20-09-21, 03:03AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosst

Quote from: Kieth_Lemon on 14-10-21, 11:54PM
Recently left Tesco as an SL and in all honesty it's vastly underpaid for the expectations of the role.

Expecting a break on a shift? More often than not your working 1-on-1 good luck with that.

Apparently Tesco have reduced workload and this reduced the hours needed to run the store. If someone can tell me exactly what part of the workload has been reduced I'd love to know.

You will be more of a deputy manager than a supervisor don't let the job title or pay rates fool you on that one!

Maybe just my experience but having a succession of useless, clueless managers to the point your effectively doing their job.

Promises of opportunities to get on is laughable. If your face fits then yeah opportunities are there but certainly not based on merit.

Another 1 billion of cuts in the pipeline. I've seen what the last 5 Billion has done and it's not pretty.

I could rant all day about this but I'm out of Tesco now and it's had a massive impact on my mental health amongst other things.

What are you doing now if you don't mind me asking

Rosst

Last question, anyone know the pay of a click n collect position
Or a delivery driver.

Just wondering if its worth going down that route instead.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Kieth_Lemon on 14-10-21, 11:54PM
Recently left Tesco as an SL and in all honesty it's vastly underpaid for the expectations of the role.

Expecting a break on a shift? More often than not your working 1-on-1 good luck with that.

Apparently Tesco have reduced workload and this reduced the hours needed to run the store. If someone can tell me exactly what part of the workload has been reduced I'd love to know.

You will be more of a deputy manager than a supervisor don't let the job title or pay rates fool you on that one!

Maybe just my experience but having a succession of useless, clueless managers to the point your effectively doing their job.

Promises of opportunities to get on is laughable. If your face fits then yeah opportunities are there but certainly not based on merit.

Another 1 billion of cuts in the pipeline. I've seen what the last 5 Billion has done and it's not pretty.

I could rant all day about this but I'm out of Tesco now and it's had a massive impact on my mental health amongst other things.

Yep, sums it up quite nicely. I left as well, It would be just about bearable if 7/8 of the SMs and all the people partners weren't rejects of Fraggle Rock.

Compared to my jobs after leaving, it was akin to prison labour.

BUY TESLA STOCK

Tesco are clueless or they would have invested in bitcoin to help pay staff a competitive wage going forward and give a return to share holders.

penguin

At risk of going way off topic its all well and good saying that but the amount Tesco would need to invest into bitcoin to pay and ongoing pay increase would be massive and where does that come from, and what happens if the bitcoin bubble bursts as history shows sooner or later it will.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

gomezz

They could move onto payment in tulips instead.   8-)
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

BUY TESLA STOCK

The big T is full of pansies from Peter the director who couldn't run a bath right down to Jimmy the alleged influential shift runner working Christmas Day for £15 an hour if he doesn't have the sh**s again. Not to mention M Power the Store Manager who would be as well the next Colgate and Fraggle the lead player.

Nomad

[admin]The topic is Shift leaders.[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

whatajoke2019

I did a stint as a SL in Expre5s a few years ago now, never again.

When the SM was in (they left the company a week after I transferred back to large format  :D) we had way too many people in and as soon as they'd gone home for the day we were, more often than not, one on one.

Having breaks paid for might have been 'nice' now and again but not on every shift.

Was one of the reasons I stepped down back then, that along with the SM leaving notes for two colleagues akin to love letters a kid in Year 1 Primary would leave  ???

siuuu

Been a shift leader in express for nearly 6 years and I've recently stepped down to 2 days a week and went back to university, best decision I ever made. Another one of the shift leaders has done the same thing.

We've had a vacancy for a full time shift leader for around 2 months. It got advertised internally and eventually externally and we had only one internal applicant, who was offered the job but then a week before he started, he pulled out because he'd accepted a job offer elsewhere. So we're back to the start again.

I do think there is a big recruitment problem for shift leaders internally, people don't see Tesco as an option to progress their career anymore. With the management restructure in large stores, how long will it take you to get to that position? I was on options for over a year and next to nothing happened, no placement opportunities. The restructures will make the skilled, hard working employees, who are more than capable of a bigger role, leave the company.

The job is well underpaid for what is expected. The shifts are draining, constantly changing shift pattern eg. multiple lates in a row, a day off, then 5:30am start the next day, it's exhausting. One on ones, having no cover for you to take a proper break. I know I'm certainly guilty of skipping breaks because things simply wouldn't get done if I sat down for 90 mins each shift, there's too much to do.

General Thorn

And that is precisely what Tesco rely on.

In my store people in bakery and hot deli sometimes do not take breaks as they have no time. S/L hardly ever take full breaks, they sometimes do split shifts, lots of overtime, shifts because sometimes there is no one on in fresh. I saw one do a 12 hour shift with only a half hour break. Managers are out the door as soon as their shift has finished as everyone should be and still leave a list of things they expect completed.

I know they are idiots for doing all these things but "there's no-one else to do it."

Nomad

Not taking a break, the problem has many causes: "if I don't do it no one else will", "I like to do a good job", "I don't want to lose my job", "it saves me a lot of hassle" and the most deluded of all "I will be better thought of by MM".
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

NightAndDay

Inflation going up to 10% will only make recruitment worse for these positions. However, with the new till-less shop technology going to take off (as it would save Tesco a ridiculous amount of labour costs) I see massive structure changes happening in the next year or so, with tills and cash office operations being drastically reduced ( there will still need to be a presence for people who don't adapt to the technology).  I see a downgrading of management responsibilities due to the reduction in work load and staff. Shift Leader role in Express won't change, but if there's fewer ca's in superstore, it'll reduce the management workload and the justifiability of these positions.

BUY TESLA STOCK

VladPutin

My breaks are sacrosanct. Outside of a fire alarm emptying the whole store, I'm taking my break no matter what. Short-staffed and the department looks like a bin? Don't care, going on my break. Dot comedy having to sub because there's gaps? Don't care, going on my break. SM bricking it because the GM is paying a visit? Don't care, going my break.

The most important words you'll ever learn to say in Tesco is, "I don't care".

octavia

any member of tesco that do not take their full breaks are MUGS .

BUY TESLA STOCK

penguin

Problem is two types of people wont take full breaks, first are those who are convinced the store or department wont get everything done if break is taken, sometimes those people do have a point but keep on working breaks and nothing will change as those above will think, this is good we have someone working breaks for free, leave them to crack on, of course not fair but no matter how many times you try and tell the people working the breaks either good intentions (misplaced ones it must be said) or a fear of everything going wrong mean that person will never change.

The second ones are those bullied into doing so, usually staff who for one reason or another cannot stick up for themselves as some of us can and are totally used and exploited, you can also add to the second group the delusion ones who fall for the work your breaks, do extra hours, pick up all these jobs your not actually trained up on, but stick with it as the next promotion is yours, and of course it never is.

lucgeo

Then there's the martyrs who don't take their breaks, to enjoy everyone commenting about how hard they work and how poorly they're treated  :'(

A break should be taken within 4 hours...If you're due a break, then you take it! If asking a manager to arrange cover, and none arrives, then you inform duty that you are going on a break, as you are nearing the 4 hour deadline, and therefore will be working illegally! If you're told there's no one available, ask them are they refusing you your right to a break?
Guarantee your cover will arrive immediately!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

penguin

You get the martyrs in all work places, not only do they never take breaks, turn up early without being asked but spend all day telling everyone and anyone who is unfortunate enough to be around them how amazing at the job they are, nobody else could ever do it and the entire company would collapse in a week if they ever left, the only type more annoying are those who do nothing at all and openly brag about it, again a type one comes across in all work places.

NightAndDay

Many a moon ago I was the martyr until I transferred due to inadequate management. After I left they replaced me with a team leader and a ca and the SM got sacked due to underperformance, The store went from straight blues on the big 6 to straight reds.

I was at university at the time so put up with the bs until I graduated, now I'm in my rightful place as an equivalent to a Tesco WL4 employee.

Rad

Edit.   Can't be annoyed.  ;D

Rosst

Went for my interview, was offered the job. Sounds similar to what I do now with the coop, but mire pay plus extra pay on Sundays (although that looks to change as no one else offers that anymore)

I have read alot of bad things, but i can honestly say it sounds better than my current employer so its a no brainer same job more pay. Plus it sounds like tesco never really do 1 on 1 or even deliveroo so winning already.

The pay I was told is 11:16 for the first 3 months then i think he said 11.65 after that. Does that sound familiar. Either way better than 10:45 an hour for pretty much running a store doing conference calls to area managers at peek times which never made sense to me etc.

Hammer10

penguin

Rosst, they might well give the impression in the application process and interview of not doing 1 on 1 but as someone who has done the job the reality is it happens far to often, and as for the deliveroo thing nope not something Tesco do but more and more express stores are doing one hour delivery services so you could well find it coming to the store your joining, good luck if you take the job but be aware its not as rosy as you might like to think.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk