News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:24PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 287
Total: 292

Moonlighting While Suspended

Started by Death_Alley_Driver, 14-08-21, 01:06PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Death_Alley_Driver

Quote from: horatiocain on 18-08-21, 08:43PM
The 1996 ERA made a statement of particulars a requirement within 2 months of employment, this for Tesco is a single sheet showing you your hours and your pay  until this point your offer letter is your contract of employment.
Since last year they've tightened the reigns a little and from your first day they're required to provide a considerable amount of information  but the full statement is due within 2 months.
All rules regarding said employment are available online via the ourtesco website, if a policy isn't on there it isn't valid, if they don't give you access to the website the policies are all invalid, until they provide you with either copies of policies or grant you access to the website.

They locked me out of my OurTesco account the day I was suspended.

Today I was offered the job with Britvic, and I'll be starting real soon.

I am certain there will be silence from Tesco regarding my suspension until after the union elections in September. That's fine - the longer it goes on, the more my position strengthens.     

NightAndDay

The remit of a unions function is to provide some semblence of checks and balances to ensure managers are acting in accordance with the law and policy  and that they're behaviours exhibit fairness.

Union reps don't manage managers, those with poor performance are dealt with by senior managers, saying that however the conduct of a manager having to result in union action is more often than not in itself indicative of poor performance on the offending managers part.

Unions are there more to protect and legally enforce than they are to punish, they can punish indirectly though, if a managers misconduct ends up losing Tescos thousands of pounds in court, that would have to be treated more seriously by the disciplining senior managers than if it didn't happen.

penguin

Death_Alley_Driver you should not be locked out of Our Tesco while under investigatory suspension, you should still be able to reset your account and gain access to it during the period of your suspension.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

NightAndDay

Penguin does make a good point, I would contact your people partner, a lot of what you've been through is by what's been stated here illegal and very out of process, did the people partner get involved in the suspension process?

forrestgimp

Quote from: Death_Alley_Driver on 19-08-21, 03:35PM
Quote from: horatiocain on 18-08-21, 08:43PM
The 1996 ERA made a statement of particulars a requirement within 2 months of employment, this for Tesco is a single sheet showing you your hours and your pay  until this point your offer letter is your contract of employment.
Since last year they've tightened the reigns a little and from your first day they're required to provide a considerable amount of information  but the full statement is due within 2 months.
All rules regarding said employment are available online via the ourtesco website, if a policy isn't on there it isn't valid, if they don't give you access to the website the policies are all invalid, until they provide you with either copies of policies or grant you access to the website.

They locked me out of my OurTesco account the day I was suspended.

Today I was offered the job with Britvic, and I'll be starting real soon.

I am certain there will be silence from Tesco regarding my suspension until after the union elections in September. That's fine - the longer it goes on, the more my position strengthens.   

Do you understand what a rep is?

You have no authority to do anything the only benefit you get from being one is you can have an area organiser in to rep you when you get into trouble, You wont be making any manifestos or making anyone accountable to anyone let alone the union.

What will happen is you will be ignored.

NightAndDay

Regardless of the lack of understanding about union rep activities, the manager has still acted way out of process, the stickler is that he was suspended in relation to union activities (regardless of the misunderstanding on what activities they can do), that's a big no-no in employment law (union activities are protected activities) and will land the manager in a big pile of doo-doo.

Tescos stance is that they're in a partnership with the Union, we all know the reality is that managers hate union reps because they limit their powers of running a shop like North Korea, but if a managers reasoning for suspension is related to anything to do with the Union, not only would the people partner have to read the manager the riot act, the people partner will have to defend their anti-union activities to the union themselves.

grim up north

Where does it say he was suspended in relation to union activities? It's just speculation isn't it?

NightAndDay

He may well not have been, but from what it sounds like, it seems likely, we'd need more info.

penguin

The O.P said in this topic he was suspended following an "altercation" with another member of staff, although he thinks that it was really done in relation to him wanting to become a rep.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

forrestgimp

Cant see it to be fair, Union reps are unimportant have no authority to do anything other than advise the people they rep the main role is to make sure Tesco stick to their own rules and the rule of law but even if they dont they can not do anything other than advice.

It is a thankless but important task

alf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk