News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:48PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 294
Total: 295

Empty shelves

Started by beentheredoneit, 11-08-21, 12:05PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordadmiral

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 15-08-21, 05:48PM
I could well be mistaken but I'm sure I saw somewhere recently around October time something else is coming into force due to Brexit that could have a wide impact.

Yes. Tarifs, custom checks and whole paper work go life on imported goods.

beentheredoneit

driver i spoke to yesterday told me 50 cabs at Litchfield as no drivers.
drivers refusing to go out on second runs. as never any staff in stores to unload them so waiting hours.
company need to get competitive wages in quickly to keep staff
spending millions on emergency agency drivers

joke around depots is pallets of chocolate tubs going out this week as company know they wont have any drivers at xmas ....turkeys out next week ....
beentheredoneit

Hammer10

Slashing staff in stores our store is 500 hours over budget which is laughable must equate to 15 full timers or 30 part timers if they are on reasonable hours how the hell do they think stock gets on shelves if it's delivered. Tesco will go the way of Woolworths if they continue in this vein.

King1999

Probably be asking customers to unload wagons next.Pathetic.

forrestgimp

Seems to be the norm in all stores now, people leave and not replaced 10 people get jobs not one on more than 12 hours a week and most on less, Highly paid section managers doing nothing while team support do everything they used to do for no extra pay.

I look around our store and there is no one except dot com they have about 4 million drivers and click to order or whatever its called.

just curious

Slightly off topic , but just a thought , having seen the empty shelves myself as a customer sometimes , and as someone on here posted the other day that they only had stock to do two promotion ends out of twelve last week , then I wonder if the suppliers will cancel some agreements and not pay Tesco for the promotion space that they should be getting extra sales from but are not as the stock is not getting to the stores . And is Head Office increasing the waste budgets for the fresh foods that turn up twelve hours late so you've potentially lost a days sales on the short coded products . I predict poor Christmas trading figures for this year due to availability issues - and can can see a big drop in profits for the year ending - especially if the suppliers do cut the subsidy's given to Tesco for promotional space . Even the Clubcard mailings that went out do not have any additional vouchers any more to encourage you to buy other products - is that because they also know the availability issues for the coupons would be horrendous ? . The likes of Home Bargains / Band M / Heron Foods and others must be having a field day with the extra sales there gaining where people go to those shops as Tesco didn't have the stock on the shelves . The title of number one retailer will soon be gone the way there running the business at moment . At nine thirty on Sunday morning 15/08/2021 ( Browsing time before the Extra store opens at Ten am ) store i was in looked like they had not had a delivery for two weeks as there was more off sale than on sale and it looked as though it hadn't even been tidied up or rumbled on the Saturday afternoon / evening in readiness to open on the Sunday as there was empty boxes on a lot of the shelves . Had that had happened a couple of years ago the store manager / duty manager would have noted it in in the safe and legal book and the managers working late Saturday night would have known about it in no uncertain terms .

penguin

Talking of empty shelves anyone know what the issue with bottled water is, lots of shops got little or no stock of it at the moment, I could understand it if we had a period of very hot weather but its hardly tropical conditions at the moment is it.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

lordadmiral

Quote from: Hammer10 on 17-08-21, 02:19PM
Slashing staff in stores our store is 500 hours over budget which is laughable must equate to 15 full timers or 30 part timers if they are on reasonable hours how the hell do they think stock gets on shelves if it's delivered. Tesco will go the way of Woolworths if they continue in this vein.

This is what happened to tesco in Poland. They were slashing hours like mad, no workers so no profits, no profits so more hours slashed. At the end tesco quit the market.
Papers were saying that it went to situation that in British stores/dcs worked 11 times more people compared to Polish stores/dcs at its lowest level of staffing.
And now it is like looking into mirror what is happening here in UK. Honestly we must wait and see what will hapen next. People must eat so tesco will be here in 10 years time but its very likely some other company might go bust.

whatajoke2019

@Penguin, I vaguely remember the Pingdemic, the brief spell of hot weather we did have and distribution issues being cited as the reason for a shortage of bottled water.

I still can't but feel, at times, those in HO are determined to run T into the ground and re-brand stores, where possible, as J@cks. Which, funnily enough, hardly seems to get mentioned these days? Don't even think they've carried on with the expansion of said business??

Himynameus

Our store is over 2000 hours over manned yet there is never no staff and red call to checkout all the time at customer queueing for ages and non one to fill the shelves for the stock that's is coming in seems like a total mess at the moment

VladPutin

Quote from: whatajoke2019 on 17-08-21, 10:28PM
@Penguin, I vaguely remember the Pingdemic, the brief spell of hot weather we did have and distribution issues being cited as the reason for a shortage of bottled water.

I still can't but feel, at times, those in HO are determined to run T into the ground and re-brand stores, where possible, as J@cks. Which, funnily enough, hardly seems to get mentioned these days? Don't even think they've carried on with the expansion of said business??

Honestly, you're giving the morons in HO too much credit if you think they have any kind of coherent plan. All they're interested in doing is justifying their next bonus by churning out yet another stupid idea. They couldn't care less if it works: just as long as it looks good on paper. Bonus points if it can actually, "save" money. By which I mean cut the jobs of people who, unlike HO staff, actually work for a living.

Tesco has built in durability because people will always need to eat. Which is why we're still shuffling around like a Zombie, no matter how many times the people in head office shoot us... >:(

Redshoes

Quote from: Himynameus on 17-08-21, 11:12PM

Our store is over 2000 hours over manned yet there is never no staff and red call to checkout all the time at customer queueing for ages and non one to fill the shelves for the stock that's is coming in seems like a total mess at the moment

If you are over hours and screaming for staff it means the hours are in the wrong place. People like 9-5 and mon-fri generally. If there are too many people in at the wrong time it will mean there can be a shortage at other times but the store is still over hours. Historically people used to get school hours if they needed them. If there are hours available now they can still have them but there has to also has to be a business case to support.

londoner83

Exactly, the issue in many stores is that many colleagues work Mon-Fri daytime and are highly reluctant to move to evenings or weekends. As these positions are often filled by younger student types who leave to go to uni or for full time jobs in the career of their choice  departments become seriously understaffed at these times.

On paper moving Dawn a single mum from her school friendly 9-3 Mon & Wed shift to a
4-10pm Fri and Sat evening is possible but in reality you can never impose it.

Hammer10

It is not that simple as all the staff in our store are very flexible we have no problems covering early or late it's just brutal staff cutting if they want to slash the wage bill don't be tight just offer voluntary redundancy I know there are many who would take it in the long run they will recoup the money back on having less wages to pay it's all about playing the long game and not just ruining people's lives in the here and now.

NightAndDay

The other problem is the incessent nepotism and cronyism that happens in many stores,  in my experience, the people who work during the morning shifts tend to be entitled middle aged women or young girls who wouldn't know what happens on a late shift if it bit them on the behind. They tend to never want to do overtime and the SM doesn't do anything about it because they're all matey with each other.

grim up north

Quote from: VladPutin on 18-08-21, 06:51AM

Honestly, you're giving the morons in HO too much credit if you think they have any kind of coherent plan. All they're interested in doing is justifying their next bonus by churning out yet another stupid idea. They couldn't care less if it works: just as long as it looks good on paper. Bonus points if it can actually, "save" money. By which I mean cut the jobs of people who, unlike HO staff, actually work for a living.

Tesco has built in durability because people will always need to eat. Which is why we're still shuffling around like a Zombie, no matter how many times the people in head office shoot us... >:(

Totally agree with that Vlad. I've been involved in 2 projects recently and after speaking to some people from HO all they're interested in is how it will make themselves look if it fails

newguy20

We have exactly the same issue. Weekday mornings are when all the older staff want to work, evenings and weekends they struggle for staff and yet they "can't recruit" because the department is overstaffed at another time of day. Yet they will give out overtime, some of the time, to cover... although fewer people want to work it because evening shifts are understaffed, everyone's rushing around, plus the antisocial behaviour element... and meanwhile on the other side of the card the cashiers working at 9am on a Tuesday are twiddling their thumbs.

lackofinterest

Quote from: Hammer10 on 18-08-21, 10:59AM
It is not that simple as all the staff in our store are very flexible we have no problems covering early or late it's just brutal staff cutting if they want to slash the wage bill don't be tight just offer voluntary redundancy I know there are many who would take it in the long run they will recoup the money back on having less wages to pay it's all about playing the long game and not just ruining people's lives in the here and now.
spot on mate but it would cost them a fortune because so many people would want to take it!!

T.C.1

Just read Tesco HGV drivers are calling for strike action over pay as Bookers drivers are getting paid more to drive around the wagons.

NightAndDay

Only a kakistrocracy such as Tesco could ever cause the situation of Strike action of its drivers by their own pay decisions for a subsidiary.

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

lordadmiral

Do not forget, latest data from Kantar indicate that sales are down. So we are looking at cost cuts on one end and huge pay rise on other end.
It's chaotic situation.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Nomad on 18-08-21, 07:20PM
https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/19521913.hgv-strike-threatens-leave-tescos-london-stores-empty/

Unite regional officer Paul Travers said: "Despite the company indicating that it wanted to get pay talks started early to address the issue, the top managers have gone 'missing in action'.

"We understand the general manager is on holiday and another senior manager has just disappeared from the scene.

"At a time when country faces the worst HGV driver shortage in modern times with an estimated 100,000 vacancies in the industry, it is the height of irresponsibility that there is no executive for Unite to negotiate with, it is worthy of a Fawlty Towers episode."

Quelle Surprise

RocketRonnie100

I think there seems to be a general feeling about the business now, which is we all gave  so much when we were "feeding the nation" and now when they're wanting something back for nothing, people are actually saying no and rightly so.

I've seen this so much where I think the majority of colleagues now either don't care and are just waiting for retirement or just no longer care.

The situation with empty shelves is a complex one (I would like to hope) however I honestly feel everyone has now just had enough.

The ongoing panic around star lines and promo ends and what the SD is going to do when they come in is almost laughable.

The only ones left who really care are the store managers who are more concerned about being given the boot, because they know that they wouldn't be employed anywhere else as they've been stuck in the same bubble since the mid eighties and don't have a clue about the outside business world.

I seriously do now think it's a bit of a sinking ship and in a way maybe it's time they got bit on the arse to wake them all up.

King1999

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk