Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

23-04-24, 08:02PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,899
  • Latest: dezza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,400
  • Total Topics: 637
  • Online today: 251
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 213
Total: 215

Do we still Get paid for isolating?

Started by person7, 20-07-21, 02:10PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barafear

I would suggest that these "rules" apply:

Do we have to pay employees who are off sick with diagnosed Covid-19?
Yes, employees will be entitled to the employer's usual sick leave and pay provisions, including SSP. Even if the employee only has mild symptoms, under government guidance they should self-isolate and arrange to have a PCR test. Anyone who has been notified of a positive test result is legally required to self-isolate for ten days at home. This can be reduced to a minimum of seven days following two negative lateral flow tests taken at least 24 hours apart, with the first test taken no earlier than day six. Employees who are self-isolating in these circumstances are entitled to SSP.

Do we have to pay employees who are off sick with Covid-19 symptoms but have not been diagnosed?
If the employee has symptoms which mean they are too unwell to come to work they will be entitled to the employer's usual sick leave and pay provisions, including SSP.

If an employee has very mild Covid-19 symptoms and might otherwise be tempted to try to attend work, government guidance requires them to self-isolate and they would be entitled to SSP if they can't work from home.

What about short absences and waiting days?

SSP entitlement is subject to the following:

SSP is not generally payable during the first three qualifying days of sickness, known as "waiting days" but this provision has been disapplied for coronavirus cases.

Irrespective of the change to the "waiting days" provision, employees must still have a total period of incapacity for work of at least four days to be eligible for SSP.

In practice, this means that if someone is off sick with Covid-19 symptoms and is subsequently diagnosed with coronavirus, they are entitled to SSP from the first day of sickness. If they are sick for three days or fewer and receive a negative Covid-19 test result in that time, however, they would not be entitled to SSP. If they are sick for more than three days but do not have coronavirus, they would be entitled to SSP under the usual (non-Covid) rules and would not receive SSP for the first three "waiting days".

The position is the same for self-isolation. I.e. although the "waiting days" provision has been disapplied the employee must still have an overall period of absence of at least four days to qualify for SSP. So a period of self-isolation which lasts only three days or less will not qualify for SSP.

See-me-out

Hi. A friend at work has to isolate for 10 days as a member of their household is positive.  They aren't fully vaccinated yet which is why they have been told to isolate. They receive sick pay from day one so will all their missed shifts be paid?

horatiocain

They should receive SSP for the entire period.
And company sick pay from day 4.

Tesco don't care why you're not vaccinated unless OH tells them you can't be.

See-me-out

Thanks for the reply. They have 20 years service and receive company sick pay from day one, so should they not be paid in full from day one ?

horatiocain

Yes, anyone on an old contract gets full pay from day 1.

person7

Quote from: oldfashionedplayer on 20-07-21, 07:20PM
You could still be eligible regardless, as there is the discretionary benefit of the £500 that can be awarded, but like above, if your on universal you could still get the payment, but you can always use the excuse "I do regular overtime (if you do) and from that you are financially worse off..

Tried that but I'm on esa rather then uc and they said. "as you are contracted to 7 hours a week and we're paid for the full wage you are contracted to you do not qualify and nothing can be done. Further attempts will be classified as fraud"

person7

Quote from: Suemay on 01-08-21, 12:46AM
Just had the same situation!! 7 1/2 hours but work 20-25 every week!! Got £74 for the 10 days!! Can't claim the £500 because Tesco pay sick pay!! Absolute joke!!

It's disgusting. 😔 Hate being. On low contract hours.. Tesco make it seem they re good paying "full wage" but not any overtime and goverment class tesco ayign your contract in full so you don't qualify for a single penny..

Even if it was £500 less the amount you got paid.. Or even if you proved what hours you were supposed to work (on myshift etc) and got paid for the hours missed... Even if its not the £500.. Cause now I'm in debt and council where I claim this money off just shrug and say "nothing we can do. You already on benefits and you got. Your full wage off work

horatiocain

It's is up to the council to decide who gets that £500 payment but being on ESA  doesn't mean you can't get it  I've helped several people on ESA receive the payment in similar situations, it's even listed on some council forms as a qualifier entitlement.

The grant is for anyone who will be worse off, but each council is allowed to make their own criteria, which is granted a bit c**p but its definitely not fraud and no prosecutor would try their chances, it doesn't meet the legal definition of fraud.

person7

My council said as I'm contracted to 7 hours and I was paid for those hours then any claim for money is "fraud", as 100% wage had been paid.  It goes on in bright red text that if I continue they will open an investigation to see if I should be paid or not, and if not "further action may occur".

My council are evil Tories.  Even when bedroom tax came out they were the first to implement it and close all loopholes to avoid paying (loophole was if you lived there before 1996 you don't have to pay but they closed that loophole within 20 minutes apparently and denied all disabled people discretionary who needed that spare room but not full time carer).

So I'm not sure how to do it?

You get just tick boxes on my council website.

"full wage paid, ssp only, no wages" and if I "tick" the wrong one they will class it as "attempted fraud" there's nowhere to explain I've lost 4 overtime shifts during my 2 weeks off with Covid

And who do you work for, name and address and then says if I continue it will pass through an anti-fraud team first and liaison with my employer to check if they paid wages or not.

(citizens advice ironically ran by the same evil Tories) said not to continue as my "wage was paid in full as per 7 hour contract as overtime is not counted as a wage".

It's like I need a flipping lawyer to go through this c**p!

It's not as if I'm asking for the full £500, but my payslip for Friday is £200 LESS then expected.

horatiocain

Under the new policy you will only be paid fully if you have the virus  no other self isolation will pay fully, they're not even paying SSP from day 1 ad legally required.
The policy states this  its in the pandemic policy only, and isn't with the rest of the policies on the website.
A driver at my place has raised it I'd they don't pay him he's brutal and will just sue them.

However you have every right to apply everytime you are off isolating due to covid  the CPS and police will laugh them off, there's no case to be made here as long as you are honest about what you tell them.

And Tory councils are not the only c**p ones, I'm arguing with a Labour Council and it's just as bad

Marius87

I don't know where to post this, sorry if this is the wrong place..

I had side effects after my vaccines and booster and missed two days of work each time, I don't mind not getting payed for it, but today, when I had my return to work and the manager informed me that my absence percentage is above 3% or something of the kind and I'll receive a letter and have an absence meeting, I was under the impression that covid related absences don't count towards that percentage?

Baba_G

They don't . Tell your manager the same one that gave you the return to work that the policy hasn't changed for covid related absence and he should check ourtesco for the policy
October 20th feedback thing -

"Feedback: is absence following the booster jab to be coded as sickness or using the COVID Code?
Response: if a colleague is unwell following a covid vaccination (including booster jabs), they should follow the normal absence process and notify the store they are absent. On returning to work they are required to have a RTW meeting, at which point the manager can choose to pay (at their discretion) the absence as COVID related sickness. Managers should fully understand the details of the symptoms, look a the colleagues absence history and make a reasonable judgement given the circumstances.

madness

Funny how the slackers all had a "bad reaction" to the jabs and the ones that are never off were perfectly fine...

oldfashionedplayer

No need for management jabs at people, or to start stuff, everyone is different and people may have a reaction or not, or be forced to continue to work by such management and such.

Plenty of "grafters" in higher positions though I guess that we could all have a different opinion on the word of  :D

Policy though is that it won't affect your attendance, it can be passed onto personnel management though who can look at whether to pay based on information provided, rather than just unpaid, but most likely if your not in the managers pockets it will be unpaid.

Baba_G

Quote from: madness on 08-01-22, 06:26PM
Funny how the slackers all had a "bad reaction" to the jabs and the ones that are never off were perfectly fine...

I planned all my jabs to be on days off and still felt the effects ...still a slacker am i ?

oldfashionedplayer

Search yammer for "booster" you'll find an attachment relating to some comms that came down over Christmas that said from 20/12/21 reaction to booster is paid covid related absence 😁

Challenge, be paid, and keep your attendance clean 😁

Marius87

Thanks for the replies and help, much appreciated!

Will talk with an Union rep on Monday regardless if I get a letter or not.

madness

Quote from: Baba_G on 08-01-22, 11:36PM
Quote from: madness on 08-01-22, 06:26PM

I planned all my jabs to be on days off and still felt the effects ...still a slacker am i ?

Statistics mean nothing to the individual

oldfashionedplayer

Could be worse I guess, our store has plenty that aren't vaccinated cause they don't believe in this one being needed, so whenever they get a cold etc they phone up saying they've got symptoms and need to book a test.... Got one on nights who's been off 11 times so far with covid for us, and he's a grafter... He's probably one of 2 on nights that does graft and do his aisle right, but like he says.

"policy and government says if I have any symptoms, isolate, may as well get paid if I feel a bit ill", he himself never has had covid, but he's got the app for pinging and a large family and custom for his background so he's got a good chance to be off 🤷‍♂️.

Some play the system better than others, grafters can do it just as much as slackers, difference is they'll probably do it much better and for longer than a slacker 😂

Probably the reason tesco policy changed so much since the start to be fair, never really saw the guy at the start of covid once that policy came in 😂.

Thry do make it difficult though to find out just the basic info of whether you do, or whether you don't or whether booster counts as full etc... So there's plenty of things that can be interpreted I guess to get paid for a reaction or for being off depending on the day they update stuff atm....

Either way, if you can't beat them, join them, better to be on the safe side if there's a policy I place to pay you while your off and without affecting attendance etc, take it 😂

TL-500

I have a question, I'm currently isolating due to a positive covid test and my store have asked me to do training while isolating and have been in contact with me on days 3 and 4 of isolation asking how I am. In my 8 years of tesco, I've never had this happen, is it allowed?

lackofinterest

training?????? tell them to get f***ed! you're ill >:(

Nothappy

I'm a delivery driver and if i have to self isolate due to being in contact with someone that has covid, will i still get paid?

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: TL-500 on 21-01-22, 03:02PM
I have a question, I'm currently isolating due to a positive covid test and my store have asked me to do training while isolating and have been in contact with me on days 3 and 4 of isolation asking how I am. In my 8 years of tesco, I've never had this happen, is it allowed?

Training is to be done during work time, so since your isolating with pay, possibly, though you could just say you can't access your account since you haven't setup the 2factor thing from MPC in-store etc so you can't get on and / or say you can't get on with your password, since their system is complete trash.

as for "nothappy" - If you've been told you have to by track and trace, Yes, if you aren't fully vaccinated, Yes, if you are vaccinated and just been told by someone who is that you should, then no you can work until you are positive, just "recommended" to take daily tests... its only if you've got symptoms if you've been in contact now i believe...  ???

person7

Quote from: TL-500 on 21-01-22, 03:02PM
I have a question, I'm currently isolating due to a positive Covid test and my store have asked me to do training while isolating and have been in contact with me on days 3 and 4 of isolation asking how I am. In my 8 years of Tesco, I've never had this happen, is it allowed?

I had to do that when I had to shield for 3 months when Covid first came out - but if you are isolating and positive Covid your officially "sick" I didn't mind doing it when I was shielding.  I preferred it actually as I was bored to death after 1 month! but they shouldn't made you do that when isolating!!!

Hammer10

You don't have to isolate any more .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk