News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:21AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Changes to T3sco Metr0

Started by whatajoke2019, 17-05-21, 08:30PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penguin

Site manager job title went years ago, it's now express store manager
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

forrestgimp

We should call them all either.

Arkrights and granvilles for store managers and other managers

or

Reg Holdsworths and Curly watts.

would be a lot easier.

Vinny1985

We have not been told anything about another heat map right hours right place in our Metro store. Anyone got any more information. Will they make people redundant again if your availability and score don't match up to tesco needs.

NightAndDay

By the sounds of it, it's not just a format name change to Express or Superstore, it seems that they're rolling out structural changes to these stores on a store by store basis, might take a bit of time for it to hit your store, but definitely looks like they're going to be either making cuts or in the minority of these changed stores, increasing hours.

Vinny1985

I am surprised our store is going to a express. We are crazy busy. With 80 plus delivery cages every day apart from a Sunday. Then we have milk and bread on top. We are one of the top performing stores for our size. We are not very big for a metro tho. You can't pull cages onto the shop floor as just far to many people shopping. Watch this space

Vinny1985

Our metro is only small and takes 400k a week. We get 80 cages a day then milk and bread on top. We have huge queues for the tills. We are city centre next to a uni also. I was surprised we got put down to a express.

trivi

As far as I know the only metros going to a superstore name are those with a car park , nothing to do with takings

Vinny1985

Any one heard anything more on this topic.  Job cuts and so on. Gone quiet now, Thanks.

forrestgimp

They take one sign down and replace it with another, thats about it.

Safeway

So they have a completely different structure in some expresses with an actual store manager, and a team manager... but others they just have a site manager??

mommydearest

My store is changing from a Metro to an Express. Next weekend we are expecting major repricing (over 6000 labels) and remerching in several departments to bring us in line with the Express format. I dread to think how much business we will end up losing, we are still down on pre pandemic levels due to the town centre being quieter than previously that this feels like another nail in the coffin.

penguin

Quote from: Safeway on 08-07-21, 06:34PM
So they have a completely different structure in some expresses with an actual store manager, and a team manager... but others they just have a site manager??

Every express has a store manager, some store managers run two stores and are known as dual site store managers, the job title of "site manager" in express was changed to store manager in about 2011. Structure in express is, store manager, shift leaders and ca's. 

Safeway

So that means the team managers that are in place will go??? As a metro has a team manager.

NightAndDay

If the recategorisation of Metros is dependent on whether it has on-site parking or not, then depending on the correlation of on-site parking to sales, if it's positive, then these stores will become superstore and the factor of store takings in categorisation of store will maintain it's integrity.

If it's not correlated, then the implications are that takings will no longer be a factor/a lesser factor in store categorisations as we would then have some Metro turned Expresses taking more than some Metro turned superstores, store structure and staff numbers are currently heavily dependent on store takings (you can't really justify having a store manager, 3 lead managers, 6 team managers, a few shift Leaders and 65 ca's in a superstore that takes £300k a week while at the same time a Metro turned Express is taking £1 million a week with 1 Store Manager, 5 shift leaders and 20 ca's).

If car parking is nothing to do with the decision on which stores are Superstores and which are Expresses and it is based on takings (as it should be) then there may be a recategorisation on Express formats (currently cat 1-cat 4), to be cat 1- cat 6, with cat 5 snd cat 6 Express stores requiring a Team Manager (essentially Metros current structure) while cat 7's to cat 10's go with Superstore/Extra structure.

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

penguin

No doubt the move to express pricing is just the first change for the metros that did not become large format stores, far more to all this than meets the eye in my own opinion.

whatajoke2019

Inclined to agree Penguin.

I'd imagine the Metros who have converted to Express must have a far higher head count than they would've done if they solely opened as an Express years ago?

tablet

Anything happening with opening hours on Sunday?

Will they keep 6 hours of trading or go longer opening times?

NightAndDay

Sunday opening times is based off the shop floor space, though I can't remember the exact number, if the shop floor area is larger than what's stipulated, it falls under sunday trading rules (i.e can't be open past 4pm), it doesn't matter if there's Express signage on the shop or not.

As for the price differences, this is due to the shop floor space as well as amount of stock ordered, the more stock is bought in bulk the cheaper it becomes,  typically Express stores are limited on space and therefore Tesco puts a premium on it, if sales are also not strong enough however, then the amount ordered in wouldn't be enough to see the cost savings on bulk buying therefore rather than have a mass of stock not selling on the backstock possibly going out of code, they have a more reactive sales order model.

Vinny1985

I know of a few stores where regular shoppers are going to other shops now. Our store use to take  crazy money. I can see it losing lots off money. I would say we have lost 40 percent of customers now.  Maybe more. Can not say much on our deliveries being smaller as everywhere is struggling to get a full one.

Any one heard about job losses possibly happening? We have no staff as it is

Morris999

Quote from: tablet on 08-08-21, 10:31PM
Anything happening with opening hours on Sunday?

Will they keep 6 hours of trading or go longer opening times?

Quote from: NightAndDay on 08-08-21, 11:08PM
Sunday opening times is based off the shop floor space, though I can't remember the exact number, if the shop floor area is larger than what's stipulated, it falls under sunday trading rules (i.e can't be open past 4pm), it doesn't matter if there's Express signage on the shop or not.

As for the price differences, this is due to the shop floor space as well as amount of stock ordered, the more stock is bought in bulk the cheaper it becomes,  typically Express stores are limited on space and therefore Tesco puts a premium on it, if sales are also not strong enough however, then the amount ordered in wouldn't be enough to see the cost savings on bulk buying therefore rather than have a mass of stock not selling on the backstock possibly going out of code, they have a more reactive sales order model.

Tesco will just reduce shop floor space to get the store below the requirements for longer trading times on Sunday if they go down that route.

Nomad

Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

gomezz

Quote from: NightAndDay on 08-08-21, 11:08PM
Just wondering if a shop that is larger than what is allowed could partition off part of the shop on Sundays to allow them to stay open longer?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

alf

QuoteThis area includes all parts of the shop you use to display goods and serve customers. You can't get around the restrictions by closing off parts of your shop on certain days.

Redshoes

Quote from: Vinny1985 on 09-08-21, 07:35AM
I know of a few stores where regular shoppers are going to other shops now. Our store use to take  crazy money. I can see it losing lots off money. I would say we have lost 40 percent of customers now.  Maybe more. Can not say much on our deliveries being smaller as everywhere is struggling to get a full one.

Any one heard about job losses possibly happening? We have no staff as it is

Overtime and base hours go on sales. If sales are lower it will result in less overtime to start with and then if it continues the future recruitment may be affected. Over a more prolonged period the level of cover in the store could be addressed but depending on turnover of colleagues it may take a while.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk