Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

21-09-21, 09:03PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 47208
  • Total Topics: 918
  • Online Today: 80
  • Online Ever: 660
  • (06-06-21, 01:57AM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Boxing Day  (Read 10367 times)

penguin

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: Boxing Day
« Reply #25 on: 12-09-21, 06:06PM »
More and more retailers are announcing there shutting boxing day to give staff the day off to say thanks for working over the pandemic, anyone want to bet Tesco would still open up even if every other shop and supermarket closed for the day.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

chris9997

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #26 on: 12-09-21, 06:41PM »
I don’t see how they can split Christmas Day and Boxing Day and have a working day in between, also if the government has moved the holidays from sat sun to mon tue but Tesco don’t recognise this then how can they honestly say what days have to be taken.

tescopleb

• Smart Arse
« Reply #27 on: 13-09-21, 02:31PM »
Apparently thats Sainsburys now closing on Boxing Day "to reward their staff for their efforts throughout the pandemic". Now lets see how or even if tosco responds.

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #28 on: 13-09-21, 02:56PM »
It came down last week (Shop Floor Feedback) that, at the moment, we'll be open on Boxing Day...

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #29 on: 13-09-21, 04:23PM »
not if nobody volunteers!!!!!

hesketh

• Know All
« Reply #30 on: 13-09-21, 06:44PM »
Tesco would lose too much money and people will have forgotten by the end of January. They would see it as an empty gesture with no benefit.

It will take a serious media campaign, with boycott promises, to change their mind.....
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #31 on: 14-09-21, 12:33AM »
Anybody know if this applies to nights? I'm meant to work boxing day night. A few others have been refused.

oldfashionedplayer

• Regular Pain
« Reply #32 on: 14-09-21, 11:13AM »
Do like we've always done, ask what day the night team voted for, as you should of been a part of the vote back in Jan / Feb (ours never have one) so we use that as a thing of "okay, none of us voted, we didn't pick which day it's being moved to, which we'd prefer as the bank holiday 24 hour period, so since boxing day is a Bank Holiday anyhow, taking that, thanks" - and management just pay it, any problems aren't with the hassle for them  >:D

overworkedexpresslad

« Reply #33 on: 14-09-21, 01:50PM »
so it seems Sainsburys can close ALL of it's stores on boxing day but money grabbing tesco wants it to keeps store opened. what a way to thank all its staff by remaining open on BOXING day. Tesco should be ashamed. Tesco really dont give two hoots about us, at the end of the day its all down to money and how much they can make. loyalty .... we shall remember this when we have to fill in the pointless survey.

chris9997

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #34 on: 14-09-21, 04:12PM »
For those on work and pay there is no longer movement of hours over bank holidays as the old system for night staff. According to the latest newsletter from the union.
So Christmas Day starts after midnight fri
 / sat

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #35 on: 14-09-21, 04:23PM »
Might sound good that Sainsbury's are not opening on boxing day as a gesture to thanks colleagues, but as is the same with Morrison's, they have to use a day's holiday.

Me2015

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #36 on: 14-09-21, 06:37PM »
Sainsbury’s are open Boxing Day!

horatiocain

• Know All
« Reply #38 on: 14-09-21, 07:24PM »
I'm going to kick the hornets nest.

What about those who refuse to use their holiday for the 26th?
From a legal perspective its their work day, if tesco cannot provide them with work that's their problem, legally if you turn up for work and there's none to be done they still have to pay you.

Now 1 person does not do a thing, tesco will just ignore them, or 1 person with hurt them.

Imagine if the whole workforce turned up to work and demanded to be paid, imagine if our union fought them on this.

The same applies to Easter Sunday  it's not a bank holiday  I don't care if my store shuts  that's their decision I'd happily turn up and work it  but they decide to shut our storr.

penguin

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #39 on: 14-09-21, 07:38PM »
Worth keeping in mind  any work can legally with notice tell you to take holiday on a set day, week etc, so nothing to stop Sainsburys and the rest telling staff boxing day is coming from your holidays, the obvious issue that throws up is most people will have booked holidays from work already and might not have a spare day or wish to move a day for boxing day.

Me2015

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #40 on: 14-09-21, 07:46PM »
Really?? https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/news/latest-news/2021/13-09-2021-sainsburys-to-close-all-stores-this-boxing-day
Ah, this is news to me, was all go for opening but clearly they have changed their minds about opening!!

Happy days, hope Tesco follow suit

Rad

• Smart Arse
« Reply #41 on: 14-09-21, 08:56PM »

From a legal perspective its their work day, if tesco cannot provide them with work that's their problem, legally if you turn up for work and there's none to be done they still have to pay you.

Now 1 person does not do a thing, tesco will just ignore them, or 1 person with hurt them.

Imagine if the whole workforce turned up to work and demanded to be paid, imagine if our union fought them on this.

The same applies to Easter Sunday  it's not a bank holiday  I don't care if my store shuts  that's their decision I'd happily turn up and work it  but they decide to shut our storr.

Its not a hornets nest. They would just open. What if everyone in Tesco decided to say they want to work Christmas Day instead of being forced to use a BH?

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #42 on: 14-09-21, 10:07PM »
I am down to work as doing production for the Monday in bakery so I am not worried either way.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #43 on: 15-09-21, 07:52AM »
It's come down on seasonal working brief that working on 26th is entirely voluntary and that anyone who doesn't want to work doesn't have to. Be interesting to see how they staff the stores as multiple departments where I work will have no one working on them.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Can't wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #44 on: 15-09-21, 03:08PM »
This conversation happens every single year, Tesco should get it sorted out well in advance I mean they are able to get xmas stock out in september but not sort this out for its staff.

Says it all.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #45 on: 15-09-21, 08:35PM »
the greedy bar stewards shouldn't even be opening >:(

Biscuit tin

« Reply #46 on: 15-09-21, 08:42PM »

I remember the first years our store opened on New Years Day, and then later Boxing Day. Both times they asked around first, and enough numptys agreed to do it, so they went ahead.
Then every year since we've had the annual hassle of politely telling them to do one when they've tried to pressure us to go in.
If you're that desperate to work Christmas Day why not volunteer at a soup kitchen.

penguin

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #47 on: 15-09-21, 10:48PM »
It's come down on seasonal working brief that working on 26th is entirely voluntary and that anyone who doesn't want to work doesn't have to. Be interesting to see how they staff the stores as multiple departments where I work will have no one working on them.

Comes down every year or words to that effect, it goes wrong as staff get bullied or guilt tripped into working Boxing Day time and time again, a store manager once told me by not working it could mean the store was shut and someone could not get an item on boxing day that was important to them and it could wreck that persons Christmas, I was like ok mate whatever, sadly some people fell for it and agreed to work after saying no at first.

NorthernJ14

« Reply #48 on: 16-09-21, 01:04AM »
If you're that desperate to work Christmas Day why not volunteer at a soup kitchen.
One pays the bills and one does not.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #49 on: 16-09-21, 06:33AM »
The first year we opened on Boxing Day a lot of the colleagues that had refused to work became customers. I think that colleagues should vote with their feet. If they did not take the money there would not even be a question about this.