News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

20-08-22, 02:31AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 30,327
  • Total Topics: 555
  • Online today: 51
  • Online ever: 660
  • (06-06-21, 01:57AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 32
Total: 32

Management restructure

Started by beentheredoneit, 03-03-21, 11:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grim up north

I enjoy these tall stories. Although you slipped up, you should have got the entire wedding party in to rumble the store

lucgeo

Quote from: Nowanexmgr on 03-12-21, 11:10AM
Yeah,it does happen. A couple, tried that with me one evening whilst out and about having popped a couple of hard **** tablets.
Safe to say they didn't try it again and the added bonus was I had a few weeks off work with a broken hand as I "slipped and fell".
It did me a favour truth be told. Word got around and now if I ask you to do something people generally do it right away.

Made me a better manager. I'd have thanked them if they hadn't left whilst I was off sick. 😂😂👍🏻
Quote from: Nowanexmgr on 02-12-21, 09:22PM
Quote from: VladPutin on 30-11-21, 09:49PM
This is my favourite thread. Managers whining about how, "tough" their jobs are makes me go Full Cartman,

"Oh, the delicious tears of unfathomable sadness! Yummy!" >:D

Keep it up, lads! :D ;D

My job isnt tough at all.  It's actually really really easy. I manage people. Simples.

Job needs doing? I have CAs like you for that. I instruct one or other of them to do it. And do it swiftly. And to my exacting standards. Or they do it again. 
Jobs not finished on time? No way am I staying. Again, I have CAs like you for that. I tell them to stay behind. They stay behind. Famously in my store I made one lazy so and so come in for four hours on the morning of his daughters wedding as he'd gone home two days previously and left my back up chiller in a mess.
I'm not an ogre though. I allowed him to start at 6am and leave at 10am. After I'd inspected his work of course. He just about made it to the church for 12 so all was well that ended well.
He wasn't happy but I tell you what, his standard of work improved hugely after that.
It's called management. It's very easy and relatively well paid. And it's open to anybody with a willingness to work hard.

You Wally...what is the point...I have understood some of your posts, based on the old times system...but this is beyond comprehension...you would NEVER be supported, on some of your claims of management bullying...no way would the PM allow you to dictate, as you state,..unless you were the PM?? Do you seriously think that a colleague, who had booked off the day for his daughter's wedding, would come in to kowtow to you, without the union or PM stepping in??
GET A GRIP MAN!...as ex military myself, you were not trained to use and abuse the friends...only the foe!!

You carry on with your current assumption that you are untouchable..I foresee a sacking on the horizon, Tesco throwing you under the bus..and a court appearance!., get out while you can man...you've lost the plot!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

PMs are just as Mickey Mouse as the rest of the managers, never met one with any integrity, the closest thing Tesco has to a HR manager is an employment tribunal judge.

madness

#753
I have met good managers and poor managers.
I have never met a good PM. it was an easy way up the company. Most had no idea how to run the store as a senior team member.

Getting rid of them was a good thing though ironically we could do with them just now and just call them mental health managers to deal with all the kids these days who find life a bit too hard and want a medal just for turning up to work...

NightAndDay

The point of HR is to act in the interests of the company, kids who do sweet f.a are easily managed by competent managers, the primary role of importance that a competent HR manager (PM) fulfils is to ensure that managers aren't acting in ways that can be construed as illegal and cost the business money, which is endimic at this time of speaking.

Honestly there wouldn't be a Tesco with the amount of illegal activity going on, the many lawsuits would result in the company going into administration.

lucgeo

#755
Then I am in the minority...the first PM I had was scary, sometimes unapproachable, but was fair minded, knew her stuff, kept the SM in line!! It was her who encouraged me many times to become a rep.
Over the years, the ones who followed ranged from good to excellent, but we're always friendly, helpful and supportive of the staff.
The last to leave, was an old colleague who had worked their way up, was far too intelligent for the role, and totally frustrated with the SM's antics! They left, and is now an area manager for one of the German discounter chains.
Then the replacement arrived...the new breed  :( :-X :-X. The SM's puppet! It was their first position of PM, and didn't have a clue! But fortunately their spouse was an SM in another store on the group  ???
Come the PM mass redundancy, was the only one to apply for the vacancy! The majority of others, knowing their worth, took the redundancy package  :thumbup:

I believe they're still in the role, still doing the same routine...turn up occasionally, have Costa and chat with others for a good couple hours, in the office for a time, then shopping and home  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

#756
I've had more than a few altercations with the PM, I once asked one of them the policy on fuel site step up TL wage, (in express at the time, it was £1 extra an hour and £2 for fuelsite) , I screenshoted the policy on ourtesco, the PM emailed back with a photoshopped copy of the policy saying it's £1 an hour regardless of fuelsite or express. From that point on I knew they couldn't be trusted.

madness

I too ran rings round a PM once who made up their own document on a proceedure they wanted done in store. In the investigation as to why I hadnt followed the "official document" I asked is this a tesco official policy or did you make that up on your own?    the notetaker stopped writing and i saw the smirk on their face.

The meeting was ended no further action and the whole thing was dropped.

Ironically enough i got on ok with that PM she was alright but waaaaaaaaaaaay out her depth when actually challenged on something.   

NightAndDay

#758
Honestly, Tesco management comprises of ex-dinner ladies, Frank Gallagher types, Mickey Mouse David Brent Office types and budget Hitlers.

VladPutin

#759
PM stands for Pointless Manager. Everyone knows this. Even the people at head office eventually figured out that having a Pointless Manager for every store was a waste of money.  I honestly wouldn't know who my Group PM was if I tripped over them.

VladPutin

Quote from: madness on 04-12-21, 01:41PM
I too ran rings round a PM once who made up their own document on a proceedure they wanted done in store. In the investigation as to why I hadnt followed the "official document" I asked is this a tesco official policy or did you make that up on your own?    the notetaker stopped writing and i saw the smirk on their face.

The meeting was ended no further action and the whole thing was dropped.

Ironically enough i got on ok with that PM she was alright but waaaaaaaaaaaay out her depth when actually challenged on something.

Our ex-PM once asked the USDAW rep to, "stop getting GA's off disciplinary actions on technicalities". She smiled and pointed out that if the managers followed the procedures correctly - and it was his job to make sure they did - there wouldn't be any loopholes for her to exploit.  :D

penguin

We had a manager who kept messing up investigations and meetings, Usdaw rep kept getting things thrown out and overturned, S.M eventually told the Usdaw rep he was no longer authorised to attend meetings, result was the rep grievanced the S.M who got an absolute dressing down once those higher up found out what had been said.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

NightAndDay

"Dressing down", is essentially the PM telling the SM to sit in the naughty chair and loses his rights to Ice Cream at lunch time. Honestly, If I was a judge I'd get Tesco into liquidation by now.

VladPutin

Quote from: lucgeo on 03-12-21, 06:57PM
Quote from: Nowanexmgr on 03-12-21, 11:10AM
Yeah,it does happen. A couple, tried that with me one evening whilst out and about having popped a couple of hard **** tablets.
Safe to say they didn't try it again and the added bonus was I had a few weeks off work with a broken hand as I "slipped and fell".
It did me a favour truth be told. Word got around and now if I ask you to do something people generally do it right away.

Made me a better manager. I'd have thanked them if they hadn't left whilst I was off sick. 😂😂👍🏻
Quote from: Nowanexmgr on 02-12-21, 09:22PM
Quote from: VladPutin on 30-11-21, 09:49PM
This is my favourite thread. Managers whining about how, "tough" their jobs are makes me go Full Cartman,

"Oh, the delicious tears of unfathomable sadness! Yummy!" >:D

Keep it up, lads! :D ;D

My job isnt tough at all.  It's actually really really easy. I manage people. Simples.

Job needs doing? I have CAs like you for that. I instruct one or other of them to do it. And do it swiftly. And to my exacting standards. Or they do it again. 
Jobs not finished on time? No way am I staying. Again, I have CAs like you for that. I tell them to stay behind. They stay behind. Famously in my store I made one lazy so and so come in for four hours on the morning of his daughters wedding as he'd gone home two days previously and left my back up chiller in a mess.
I'm not an ogre though. I allowed him to start at 6am and leave at 10am. After I'd inspected his work of course. He just about made it to the church for 12 so all was well that ended well.
He wasn't happy but I tell you what, his standard of work improved hugely after that.
It's called management. It's very easy and relatively well paid. And it's open to anybody with a willingness to work hard.

You Wally...what is the point...I have understood some of your posts, based on the old times system...but this is beyond comprehension...you would NEVER be supported, on some of your claims of management bullying...no way would the PM allow you to dictate, as you state,..unless you were the PM?? Do you seriously think that a colleague, who had booked off the day for his daughter's wedding, would come in to kowtow to you, without the union or PM stepping in??
GET A GRIP MAN!...as ex military myself, you were not trained to use and abuse the friends...only the foe!!

You carry on with your current assumption that you are untouchable..I foresee a sacking on the horizon, Tesco throwing you under the bus..and a court appearance!., get out while you can man...you've lost the plot!!

Lol, @nowanexmgr's stories are about as believable as Jussie Smollet's, "Hate Crime".

"This is Tesco Country, boy!" :D ;D

rogerthedodger

#764
Back on Topic the plan is to reduce the number of line management across stores but increase the shift leader roles , remaining line managers (some) will be trained to level/ability to dismiss. No word on any redundancy stores will probably have to struggle until they get to management headcount. Pressure will be put on store manager to do this and in turn  line managers will be given hell until they either leave or move into a vacancy on another shop.
New structure would look like
Managers on
wages/stock/admin
Front end
Fresh
Grocery
Non food/clothing
So 5 line managers one lead if shop is massive

Dotcom will stand alone and report to store managers
Front end will have its own team support.
Then most stores will have 4 generic shift leaders.

kaled78

the problem with the shift leaders in superstores is they tend to get power drunk and think they can boss everyone around,even if dept managers are present

Morris999

Quote from: rogerthedodger on 12-12-21, 09:09AM
Back on Topic the plan is to reduce the number of line management across stores but increase the shift leader roles , remaining line managers (some) will be trained to level/ability to dismiss. No word on any redundancy stores will probably have to struggle until they get to management headcount. Pressure will be put on store manager to do this and in turn  line managers will be given hell until they either leave or move into a vacancy on another shop.
New structure would look like
Managers on
wages/stock/admin
Front end
Fresh
Grocery
Non food/clothing
So 5 line managers one lead if shop is massive

Dotcom will stand alone and report to store managers
Front end will have its own team support.
Then most stores will have 4 generic shift leaders.

That may be the aim of the new structure in Extras, however that is not what the new structure will look like in a lot of Superstores.
The store I'm currently in goes to the following:

1 Team manager covering Frontend -Checkouts, Self-serve, SAYS,CSD,PFS,Community & Trollies
1Team Manager covering Fresh- Produce, Dairy, Meat, Bakery/Plant Bread, Grab & Go & Cash office
1 Team Manager looking after the rest- Grocery,HH, BWS,Frozen, H&B,Non Food,Clothing, Warehouse, seasonal, Stock Control & Wages/Admin
1 Team manager on nights/PI

Then the equivalent of Shift Leaders to cover 24/7 a week!
And no Team Support on frontend or any Lead team apart from the SM.

On top of that we are down for C&C in the new year which won't have a permanent manager/Team support or Shift leader looking after the initial 12 weeks!
It will go to either the Team manager looking after Frontend or Ambient!

Oh and I forgot 1 Team Manager sat in the Phone Shop, playing games and updating their social media pages.

madness

There are different approaches here as youd put cash office with front end so you can cover ot with people more familiar with cash handling rather than a produce filler.

Also Dot com gets a manager I've no idea where it reporting directly to SM. its under their remit but with a team manager as well.

BUY TESLA STOCK

All they need on nights in large stores is a shift leader and some competent GAs who are in  a full time week. Too many party hour GAs and TMs that are doing assistant work.

Redshoes

Cash office no longer sits with front end. At the moment it's with wages/admin. I agree that we have a skilled set within cash office that can support front end and even though it does not sit with front end it can still do all of that.
We are not a dot.com store and we don't have nights. So we are supposed to have three managers.

As we are now;
Front end - checkouts, self service, off till, CSD, PFS and trolling. Also responsible for community. Over 50% of headcount in store. No shift leads or team support.
Replenishment - grocery, health & beauty, hardliners, clothing and warehouse
Stock/admin - with wages, stock control and cash office.

We do have a fourth manager at the moment who is doing fresh - produce, meat, dairy, bakery and hot deli.

We are just not sure how it should fit with three managers. We are told we get four shift leads when we hit new structure. At the moment we have shift leads in training that support with duty open and closing shifts as it can't be done without when you add in sick and holiday. As it is we are most of the wk a single manager in the building a great part of the day. We have a three hour cross in the middle of the day and an extra mid shift in on the busy days. The shift leads in training are being paid deputy pay for the time they are stepping up.
The shift leads are ex-managers who have come back or signed off but not appointed managers. We have others in training but they are not doing duty shifts, they are still learning but will buddy up with duty managers to learn the ropes but not until after Christmas. At the moment they are doing online training and spending as much time as they can with different managers.
We also have a store manager who is very hands on. He spends a great deal of his time filling and has high standards of how the store should look. He does early and late shifts.

BUY TESLA STOCK


madness

Standards are shot there isnt the hours in any of the departments for constant facing up. And even if you are on an ok checkouts will screw you over every time.

VladPutin

I couldn't care less about the managers, but cutting their numbers just to save money is idiotic when Centre still exists. Tesco's first step should be to shut that down and make everyone who, "works" there redundant. Centre is a complete waste of time and money.

Next, shut down Tesco Pravda and get rid of everyone involved. In twenty years, I've not seen a single person pick up a copy. It's worthless. Unless the toilets run out of paper, which happens quite regularly. >:D

Redshoes

Quote from: Tesla on 13-12-21, 03:25PM
An SM filling  ;D

In the last ten years we have had four different store managers. They all filled. All worked produce in the morning and then would depend on what was needed after that. All have been on the phone a lot but moan about the calls they get, all spent limited time in office. Expect same of management team. There is nobody in the office a moment they don't have to be never has been. I have seen the coffee morning manager in another store a very long time ago but that store was put into special measures and some managers were moved.

oldfashionedplayer

Ours fills too, the amount we have in the back and not on the shelf after they've filled makes you wonder if they know the meaning of fill, cause I'm sure as hell they think it means either "leave it" or "take it off and put it in the back"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk