News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-03-24, 03:07AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 37,969
  • Total Topics: 622
  • Online today: 80
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 72
Total: 74

Management restructure

Started by beentheredoneit, 03-03-21, 11:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggerpicture

You need to ask to see the structure for your store. Sounds like you should have a Fresh Manager as well.
Not been asked to do, or be expected to do 12 hour shifts in years.

madness

Structure for a superstore is roughly SM lead if over 600k a week or something like that,  managers.   1 fresh 1 grocery+non food   1 front end    1 merch stock admin   and if you have it 1 dot com.     then 4 shift leads who take all the duties.     

lucgeo

Just how many other managers are employed in your store, and what departments do they cover?

The extra hours on the 12 hour stints in my store were always unpaid, with the carrot of time back after Christmas  ;)
This is from a SM who had us all doing two rumbles a day! 12-1pm then 4-5pm, the afternoon was mainly managers again, as the rest were part time!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

RocketRonnie100

Quote from: madness on 29-11-21, 09:56PM
Quote from: RocketRonnie100 on 29-11-21, 12:50PM
The 12 hour shifts kick in soon, there's no thought for anyones plans or friends and family. It's just pure Tesco for more or less 3 weeks nonstop. It's made me HATE Christmas with a passion.

Plus with all of the changes that have happened in store to the structure it's making it worse.

If you even dare to say I'm off now at 22.30 before getting in at 6am the next day you're looked at like dirt.

Which weak as spineless managers do 12 hr days?   I think I have done 1 maybe 2 in 7 years at Tesco and that was becasue shtf big style in the store. However the very next oportunity i took a half day. I don't understand the mentality of these crazy days someone goes sick on your department or a busy big issue you have a backup plan of someone who is willing to come in to cover it . IE MANAGE the situation.   I've put through 30 mins requests on my addition pay screen and SM has always confirmed it.

There really seems to be 2 types of store and management in this company.

Believe me, I don't want to do it AT ALL, but "it's expected" then frowned upon on reviews and I'm reminded of it by my lead manager 6 months later when I came in and did my 9 hours. Plus I was reminded how I was "letting the rest of the management team down".

Yes you're correct I was offered "time back" after Christmas and after racking up a weeks worth  of overtime and guess what I was "offered" one day back! I almost fell over.

Never again at least now I get paid the overtime and get taxed to high heaven.

madness

We had a new SM who thought that way, however us managers stuck to doing our time and going. He got annoyed that he put in 12 or 14 hour days.

1 year later he now does the same as us. Yes a crazy day of issues he does longer and he will likely do it at xmas.      my time is MY TIME. 
But you need to make sure your departments are running right. If you are in a store where you get on with your colleagues it is much easier.

Infact today i fb messaged 1 of my colleagues to cover a covid sickness next week. 2 shifts done agreed.
That colleague knows that flexibilty will be repaid if he had an issue.

There is defo 2 different types of tesco out there.     3 if you include express but i would never work in an express.

RocketRonnie100

This is the thing, the departments are running fine and there are no issues with coverage etc, but because "that's the way we've done it for 6 years" it will continue to be like that.

All the other managers are as infuriated as I am every single year.

Let's not mention about the names into a hat for who's on call Christmas Eve and Christmas Day etc  ;D ;D :D :D

ForCryingOutLoud

Working just your bog standard  9 hr shift patterns ie early, mid, late, ensuring a handover I calculated 140 hrs per year unpaid. Did this for a couple of years because it seemed to be the right thing to do even though I would see other mgrs leaving early. Worked through many, many breaks. Guess who was the underperformer & who were the Met. Seen the light,  not one minute do they get extra from me anymore.

NightAndDay

I see Tesco going bankrupt within the next 2 years and all the mateyboy managers and directors languishing on the dole for the rest of their natural.

madness

Nonsense night and day.

Food retail is profitable though margins arnt great it is dependable and can just raise price anyway.

Any manager needing to do 9 10 11 12 hr days to get their job done is a s*** manager anyway. Too much time on fb or chatting.    If i were lead or SM i'd be giving a miss to the managers who dont leave on time.

NightAndDay

You can't just raise the price, margins are terrible and raising the prices isn't a good strategy in fiercely competitive environments.

With all the strike actions and lawsuits against Tesco in the past few months and the combination of bloated structure and cowboy managers as well as  bigger fish than Tesco coming in to fthe sector and forcing the customers away from Tesco with their superior buying power as well as the economic illiteracy of their directors, they'll go belly up unless they start recruiting properly qualified people into director positions and not just some 6 foot something David Brent pretty boys or Edward Tattsyrup "This is a local shop for local people" closet racists.

VladPutin

This is my favourite thread. Managers whining about how, "tough" their jobs are makes me go Full Cartman,

"Oh, the delicious tears of unfathomable sadness! Yummy!" >:D

Keep it up, lads! :D ;D

RocketRonnie100

Vlad, Hello. I get your point. However would you stay for an extra 3 hours a day for 3 weeks for nothing and do an extra day on the Sunday before Xmas again for nothing? All for the store managers review and his pay packet whilst he stands by the bakery on his phone?

Then asks senior team "right who's on call Xmas Day then"?!

Probably not  ;) ;)

Redshoes

Quote from: NightAndDay on 30-11-21, 09:27PM
You can't just raise the price, margins are terrible and raising the prices isn't a good strategy in fiercely competitive environments.

With all the strike actions and lawsuits against Tesco in the past few months and the combination of bloated structure and cowboy managers as well as  bigger fish than Tesco coming in to fthe sector and forcing the customers away from Tesco with their superior buying power as well as the economic illiteracy of their directors, they'll go belly up unless they start recruiting properly qualified people into director positions and not just some 6 foot something David Brent pretty boys or Edward Tattsyrup "This is a local shop for local people" closet racists.

You no longer work for the company and have only ever worked in small format in what you say is a affluent area. You should not make sweeping statement about the whole company based on your very small experience. The small store format is a whole different ball game.

NightAndDay

As I said before, almost 7 years in the company isn't a " very small experience" I know how it all works, my criticisms are all backed by data and fact, they're not "sweeping statements" if it's reported in the news.

It's a fact that Tesco has the lowest reported rating on corporate governance out of all FTSE 100 companies, though it's improved, it's still really bad, hence all of these cow boy antics happening and not being accounted for.

Also, "affluent area" is a bit redundant these days, most of the South of England is an affluent area.

Redshoes

To me seven years is not a lot but even so you have only worked in small format and in the same area. I suppose this is age relative though. I have done 30+ years and in seven stores. I have worked in English and Scottish stores. In superstores and in Extras. I have a friend who has done 46 years.
I have worked for store manager who were not born when I stared working for the company and I have had store managers with over 40 years service.
A lot boils down to where the store is. In an area with higher unemployment people tend to stay. You get colleagues who end up with very long service and the stores have the pick of managers. In a well off area it's harder to attract and keep staff. Stores with this issue often get location pay but even so it can still be hard to retain staff.
The restructure is hard for all. We have been used to more people to deliver the store. Any manager that spends time in a cafe or doing nothing is risking job. On the other hand it needs to be pointed out that a manager who also spends all day filling shelves is at risk too. We all have jobs to be done and a manager filling shelves all day is taking a job away from a colleague and is being paid managers pay to deliver a colleagues job.
As far as the ivory tower goes. I don't always agree with the things that come down the line to us but I have only ever worked in stores. I have never done the other side of this job and as such I don't feel I have the right to comment to and great degree. I do feel frustration at times but I don't feel that my job is at risk because of what they are doing.
I have been through consultation three times now and have lived to tell the tale. I have done just about every job in stores over the years. I have been offered jobs and I have been in roles that have been removed. In my experience if you have time on your hands and you find the job easy, spending the day looking at the clock to see if it's time to go home yet I would not get too comfy as your job is probably at risk. If you are busy and looking at the clock and thinking you have lost hours and have to pick what tasks you can complete due to the time left to you, the job is probably more secure.

NightAndDay

I have worked mostly in small format but have worked in large formats on several occassions.  I have experienced enough incompetence from too many Store Managers to know that this is more than an anecdotal issue as others here can attest.

As for the restructures, they're necessary to remain competitive but there is a right way to do it, the Dave Lewis era strategy was very much in favour for short term liquidity over long term strategy, as a result Tesco has lost very profitable parts of the business such as Tesco Lotus and  has also downsized it's profile by selling off and cutting loss leader parts of the business such as ISB.

Staff turnover is typically much more inconsequential to the Retail industry as it is very accessible and characterised as a student job, a significant amount of employees are either part time students (I was one myself many a moon ago), one of the parents earning a supplementary income or people in a stop gap in their careers etc. The natural wasteage of this demographic is going to be higher than the Tesco hodlers by default. But because it is very accessible, it means that in normal times there's a high number of recruits, people are easily replaceable in this space, including the managers.

As such in normal times, staff turnover has less emphasis as a value driven KPI than other industries, but this isn't normal times, Tescos bullly boy characterisation in this employee led economic market will have serious operational ramifications, threads on this site and other websites have already covered the Mickey Mouse shenanigans of Tesco top brass resulting in the strike at the DC centres, payroll issues and a list as long as my arm of other issues with a root cause of cowboy management.

Tesco needs to get its house in order, otherwise, along with suffering greater recruitment challenges, they will find themselves in trouble against bigger boy Amazon.

londoner83

The problem now with retail is that in areas of the country with multiple stores in close proximity (ie Major Towns, South East etc) job applicants can pick or choose the.roles they take. With Tesco tending to only offer part time temp roles  often on flexi shifts
at little more than the minimum wage, its hardly surprising the better candidates are choosing to work for retailers offering permanent contracts that may be full time or in shops that don't open 24/7.

As we have a ever changing temporary workforce very few recruits seek out opportunity to develop into the managers of tomorrow, and due to current constant re-structures and working practices many exiperenced managers are leaving the  business.

Nowanexmgr

Quote from: VladPutin on 30-11-21, 09:49PM
This is my favourite thread. Managers whining about how, "tough" their jobs are makes me go Full Cartman,

My job isnt tough at all.  It's actually really really easy. I manage people. Simples.

Job needs doing? I have CAs like you for that. I instruct one or other of them to do it. And do it swiftly. And to my exacting standards. Or they do it again. 
Jobs not finished on time? No way am I staying. Again, I have CAs like you for that. I tell them to stay behind. They stay behind. Famously in my store I made one lazy so and so come in for four hours on the morning of his daughters wedding as he'd gone home two days previously and left my back up chiller in a mess.
I'm not an ogre though. I allowed him to start at 6am and leave at 10am. After I'd inspected his work of course. He just about made it to the church for 12 so all was well that ended well.
He wasn't happy but I tell you what, his standard of work improved hugely after that.
It's called management. It's very easy and relatively well paid. And it's open to anybody with a willingness to work hard.

madness

now ex manager has got his wooden spoon out and is stiring the pot, lol..   wedding story is a bit of a stretch though.

oldfashionedplayer

I wish we had "nowexmamager" at our store, with the amount of stuff like that you pulled you'd probably be out the door within a week  ;D  ours come in, go "do this or else" and we just take the absolute mick out of what they say, if they want it done right, it'll be done right alright... No delivery is getting done, shelves will be spotless every night, no time for stocking it I'm afraid though  >:D

The insanity our store drives them to is why we only have the 1 manager now who rushes around doing 4 aisles each night while the rest of us take our time, just so he doesn't get more boots..

Work smarter not harder, use the policies and stuff against any like that, it's the only way you get management to do something around a store these days for what their paid.

VladPutin

Quote from: Nowanexmgr on 02-12-21, 09:22PM

My job isnt tough at all.  It's actually really really easy. I manage people. Simples.

Job needs doing? I have CAs like you for that. I instruct one or other of them to do it. And do it swiftly. And to my exacting standards. Or they do it again. 
Jobs not finished on time? No way am I staying. Again, I have CAs like you for that. I tell them to stay behind. They stay behind. Famously in my store I made one lazy so and so come in for four hours on the morning of his daughters wedding as he'd gone home two days previously and left my back up chiller in a mess.
I'm not an ogre though. I allowed him to start at 6am and leave at 10am. After I'd inspected his work of course. He just about made it to the church for 12 so all was well that ended well.
He wasn't happy but I tell you what, his standard of work improved hugely after that.
It's called management. It's very easy and relatively well paid. And it's open to anybody with a willingness to work hard.

We had a manager like you. He tried to, "manage" the wrong person, and one night after work he was dragged out of his car and beaten so badly he needed hospital treatment. >:D

What made us laugh even more was the absolute legend who did it was able to successfully claim he had. "mental health issues", so Tesco didn't fire him on the spot. The manager he gave a beating to was forced to, "support him".  ;D :D

When the bloke who gave him an attitude adjustment eventually quit, we had a whip-round and presented him with a couple of hundred quid and a lot of alcohol. He was a very popular member of staff. And the manager? He eventually moved to another job, in another store. One in which his contact with big, ugly CA's was extremely limited.

Nowanexmgr

Yeah,it does happen. A couple, tried that with me one evening whilst out and about having popped a couple of hard **** tablets.
Safe to say they didn't try it again and the added bonus was I had a few weeks off work with a broken hand as I "slipped and fell".
It did me a favour truth be told. Word got around and now if I ask you to do something people generally do it right away.

Made me a better manager. I'd have thanked them if they hadn't left whilst I was off sick. 😂😂👍🏻

VladPutin

Lol, typical manager: if you're breaking your hand, you're not hitting them correctly. That's why people like me, who actually know how to fight, always follow the advice,

"Use your hands on the soft parts and your elbows, knees and feet on the hard parts" >:D

You were lucky; I'm the worst kind of sadist, because I can fight and I enjoy it when my victim puts up some resistance. That's why I generally don't abuse women; they are so weak and helpless there's no challenge.

Nomad

[admin]BACK to topic please.[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

forrestgimp

Quote from: Nowanexmgr on 02-12-21, 09:22PM

. Again, I have CAs like you for that. I tell them to stay behind. They stay behind. Famously in my store I made one lazy so and so come in for four hours on the morning of his daughters wedding as he'd gone home two days previously and left my back up chiller in a mess.

Course you did  :D :D :D

I have worked for 25 years at Tesco and only 1 single person would have done what you say that person did and he ended up storming out of the store after yet another day of abuse from managers.

If you did anything remotely like the stuff you write here you would be either have gotten smashed up on the way home by someone in the shadows or got sacked for bullying.

Not sure why you write rubbish like this except you like to annoy people.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk