Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

18-04-24, 01:11PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,356
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 315
Total: 318

Clocking in and out 3 minute leeway

Started by RightsDefender, 14-02-21, 06:40AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammer10

They better fix our door bell then not worked for over a year don't matter who you complain to still not fixed.

oldfashionedplayer

Quote from: Mitsie65 on 22-08-21, 11:40PM
I just got informed the other day that they are trying to get as many people to start clocking in and out at the correct times I.e no 3 minutes late or early. This is due to the new working pay coming into place where you will be docked pay for doing this

There will definitely be a big fuss and probable strike / legal / news bit then if they do this, since they won't pay for the bits over your actual shift, so free labour and their systems will show that they aren't when challenged...

Redshoes

There is a subtle difference to over hours. If you choose to clock in early or clock out late it's your choice and it does not have to be paid. Some people used to clock in early and have a coffee before starting work and this can be amended by exceptions but it still sits under overtime in work & pay.
If you are asked if you can start early or stay on late this is overtime. This is accountable overtime.
There is a firm budget on hours and how much overtime the store has. A colleague that clocks in early or stays late will eat into this budget and it's hours not accounted for and can tip the store into an overspend.
Being late off a till or finishing off a job before going home can have a big impact but the biggest impact is those who clock in but go for a coffee before actually starting work.

fatboy

We've been on work & pay for a few months now & no one has been docked for clocking out 3 mins early & we all do it. Guess the work & pay system does not automatically dock for doing this.

chris9997

sometimes staying over your time is unavoidableon nights to clear the floor etc when delivery has been delayed or bigger than normal, as this has started at deductions from pay for 3 minutes late (despite door issues) then the important thing is not to finish/clear the floor when there is no time then leave at correct time and let others who are on shift to do it.

horatiocain

Wow  old thread.

All PPE that you need for your job should be kept at work and put on once you begin work, most companies do not enforce this rule but it exists in health and safety legislation.

As to the leeway, its to account for variance of events, if you're 10 meters from the clocking machine and a manager asks you a question and the conversation takes 3 minutes without the leeway they'd then need to investige why, or at the least manually check the times before paying it anyway.
It's a time to cost issue, it's cheaper to have that leeway  if people take the p**s that stops happening and they can do away with it

newguy20

What I don't understand is how clocking in early / out late eats into the hours a store has?
for example if you clock in at 16.45 for a 17.00 start, then go and get changed and have a cup of tea before work, you still get paid from 17.00 you don't get the extra time paid as that's not overtime that's been assigned to you, so how can it affect the hours used by the store?

Redshoes

The tablet works out the hours used but not the money paid. The two things don't seem to sync as they should. Exceptions fixes the pay part of it but the aim is to minimise exceptions as it's all extra work that should not have to be done. Exceptions can't fix the used hours though so will show as used.

Batmanjo

Quote from: Redshoes on 23-08-21, 07:58AM
There is a subtle difference to over hours. If you choose to clock in early or clock out late it's your choice and it does not have to be paid. Some people used to clock in early and have a coffee before starting work and this can be amended by exceptions but it still sits under overtime in work & pay.
If you are asked if you can start early or stay on late this is overtime. This is accountable overtime.
There is a firm budget on hours and how much overtime the store has. A colleague that clocks in early or stays late will eat into this budget and it's hours not accounted for and can tip the store into an overspend.
Being late off a till or finishing off a job before going home can have a big impact but the biggest impact is those who clock in but go for a coffee before actually starting work.

Interesting point of view from the management side of the job, when you say "If you are asked if you can start early or stay on late this is overtime" but then say the people being late finishing off a job are the one's impacting the business, yet the same people leaving the business late due to a lack of cover or just for the justification of the management wanting the job to be done before one can leave their department they are the one's not being paid correctly and if it was say checkout staff who are asked to be on their dept at start time clock in early and then finishing after their shift this would inconsequentially take them under the national minimum wage, I wonder how you would feel in this position ? Because at the end of the day you cannot expect people to work for nothing and that is what is goes on ! but you say it's their choice I strongly disagree if someone worked on whatever department that you run just downed tools 2 minutes before the end of their shift and clocked out on time leaving their job half finished I just wonder what your reaction would be............... A you would pat them on the back and say great job done thanks for leaving on time and not messing up the tablet and my exceptions or B we need to do a let's talk ??? this could lead to a disciplinary.
          When it comes to rules the management don't even clock in and out I do agree about the people that clock in and have a coffee they are causing a problem along with the people that always forget to clock in but never forget to clock out bang on time also cause a problem.
          As for tipping it into an overspent how can that be ? if a person has clocked in 30 mins early and you don't pay them and then it is somehow left on as hours worked on the system this would then be false accounting it cannot be that it would be allowable to have two different sets of accounts the stores and the tablets if this is the gist of what you are purporting to say ?     

General Thorn

We were told yesterday that it is now down to 2 mins as it is causing problems with exceptions. When asked why that would be was told 'I don't know.'

Batmanjo

The only problem is trying to get to the clocking machine before, the goalposts are constantly changing all the time and not in favour of staff.

forrestgimp

Why not just clock out at the time you finish instead of trying to grab a couple of mins? Is 120 seconds worth the hassle.

forrestgimp

Quote from: Batmanjo on 25-08-21, 12:18PM
Quote from: Redshoes on 23-08-21, 07:58AM

Interesting point of view from the management side of the job, when you say "If you are asked if you can start early or stay on late this is overtime" but then say the people being late finishing off a job are the one's impacting the business, yet the same people leaving the business late due to a lack of cover or just for the justification of the management wanting the job to be done before one can leave their department they are the one's not being paid correctly and if it was say checkout staff who are asked to be on their dept at start time clock in early and then finishing after their shift this would inconsequentially take them under the national minimum wage, I wonder how you would feel in this position ? Because at the end of the day you cannot expect people to work for nothing and that is what is goes on ! but you say it's their choice I strongly disagree if someone worked on whatever department that you run just downed tools 2 minutes before the end of their shift and clocked out on time leaving their job half finished I just wonder what your reaction would be............... A you would pat them on the back and say great job done thanks for leaving on time and not messing up the tablet and my exceptions or B we need to do a let's talk ??? this could lead to a disciplinary.

This is why PFS people got a massive payout the other year, they were expected to clock on and get to their station at the time of starting their shift and finish at the time stated then walk back to store to clock off so they get a 15 min payment now each way. If you get penalised for leaving at your finish time simply put in a grievance asking for all the back pay that they owe you. 

Biglove

We've not had a manager in my pfs for a long while, probably near enough a year now. They are now working elsewhere. We pretty much run ourselves. Especially when it comes to covering shifts etc. But yet we still get the same rate of pay as checkouts. I don't get it. With all the duties we have, and given the danger of working in a pfs, and the lack of support from duty.. and the not answering phones.. and now there's no bookers and we physically have to go over the store to do massive transfers of stock (we are a busy pfs).. bradgate/fasttrak, the car wash, fuelling up for disabled customers..along with many more responsibilities.. we should at the very least be on the same rate of Pay as CSD.  ..wonder if anyone else feels the same as we do in our pfs..

[admin]I think you should find a more suitable topic for your post, or become a supporter and start your own topics.[/admin]

fatboy

We have now been told that the 3 min leeway is no longer. We cannot clock in or out until bang on our start/finish time. Is this a new Tesco policy or just another manager talking s***? Thanks

forrestgimp

manager talking rubbish, speak to any checkout person and ask them when they get taken off the till, its normaly either right bang on finish time or later.

lucgeo

Quote from: fatboy on 17-10-21, 09:17AM
We have now been told that the 3 min leeway is no longer. We cannot clock in or out until bang on our start/finish time. Is this a new Tesco policy or just another manager talking s***? Thanks

Great...now get that short sighted manager to put it on dept team 5 or in writing! Then they can explain to the SM why their dept colleagues aren't on time on the shop floor, and leaving early?

So if there's a few dept's starting at the same time...you have to wait your turn in the queue...'tis only polite after all!! Ditto for leaving dept before time, as you have to clock off " bang on time" and there may be another queue  :). Only following order's innit  ;)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Pfs girlie

We can clock in up to 10 minutes before our shifts in our store

barafear

Quote from: lucgeo on 17-10-21, 10:43AM
Quote from: fatboy on 17-10-21, 09:17AM

Great...now get that short sighted manager to put it on dept team 5 or in writing! Then they can explain to the SM why their dept colleagues aren't on time on the shop floor, and leaving early?

So if there's a few dept's starting at the same time...you have to wait your turn in the queue...'tis only polite after all!! Ditto for leaving dept before time, as you have to clock off " bang on time" and there may be another queue  :). Only following order's innit  ;)

We have a note/A4 poster in our store stating that "Since we are now on Work and Pay, how you clock in/clock out has changed. Clock in when you start your shift. Clock out when you finish. Do not clock in/out for breaks"

We also previously had a previous note stating that we shouldn't be "clocking in until we're ready to start our shift" (rather than clocking in, going upstairs, get washed and changed, have a cup of tea, have a chat, go to toilet, wash hands, have a cup of tea and then come down) - So would the "old system" have been so stupid that if I came in at 915 for my 10.00 shift and clocked in when I got in - and then did all the above (tea/chat/wash etc.) - would I ever have got paid 45 mins more than I should?

For info, I don't think I've ever arrived much more than 5 mins before my shift start time!!

Redshoes

Clocking in early just causes extra work for others. It shows up on an exception, your manager has to adjust the times and wages then needed to input the info. There was a time that even though the time was adjusted via expectations and people were not paid for it the tablet still had it as overtime so it reduced the overtime for the store as was showing as an overspend. Once on work and pay the system talks to the different parts better but there is a lot of extra work to be done. Asking people not to clock in early is probably just to try and reduce the workload. Things will balance out but to begin with there is a lot of work to be done as it is moving to a whole new system. People also have to get used to it so not doing an unnecessary task will be a saving.

lucgeo

Not like Tesco to utilise over complicated systems...probably got them as a cheap job lot from other companies' in their not fit for purpose defunct bins!

Hell, they were still using Amipro in the offices, up to about 10 years ago!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

oldfashionedplayer

ours has a sign up too, needless to say that colleagues have already written over it saying "pay us right to begin with and we will"  ;D

VladPutin

Quote from: Redshoes on 19-10-21, 08:46AM
Clocking in early just causes extra work for others. It shows up on an exception, your manager has to adjust the times and wages then needed to input the info. There was a time that even though the time was adjusted via expectations and people were not paid for it the tablet still had it as overtime so it reduced the overtime for the store as was showing as an overspend. Once on work and pay the system talks to the different parts better but there is a lot of extra work to be done. Asking people not to clock in early is probably just to try and reduce the workload. Things will balance out but to begin with there is a lot of work to be done as it is moving to a whole new system. People also have to get used to it so not doing an unnecessary task will be a saving.

Oh, the humanity! :D ;D

Robert Onedin.

Often it can take ages to clock in I find.Through no fault of my own,say you just come in.Your fingers may be cold or having taken gloves off a few minutes before your fingers may be too warm.For the good old days of clocking in and out on a clock card.

Hazelgrif

I'm now coming to the conclusion that Tesco is trying to down size our sales,,, so not only have bookers grocery been stop, now the tobacco products have been more than half during the last 3 weeks and the car Accessories gone ad blue to 1 ( from 68 ish p/W). We are currently still double manned on 12 pumps closing at 10pm and 4 being p@p. No Visibility of a manager for last 12 ish weeks. Any problems duty will say tell your manager not their problem. 2 staff down, yet store saying can't employe as every where over hours, I love my job, but Tesco management really don't get a damn.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk