News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

17-04-24, 12:16AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,344
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 139
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 117
Total: 117

Pay review 2021

Started by Witch69, 21-07-20, 09:25AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordadmiral

Quote from: BarryZola on 08-06-21, 10:35AM
"It makes our total reward package more competitive than ever before, while remaining simple, fair and sustainable for our business". (From the official statement on OurTesco)

Hmmm, pretty sure they used to pay more than some competitors who are now paying more than Tesco? The truth is that they see shop floor workers as replaceable fodder to be treated however they like and the easiest place to make savings and make their profits look better at the end of the financial year so that they can justify their own bonuses.

It will be interesting to see if management get more than 2.7% + their bonus that still exists, or more than 25p an hour. The company is a lost cause full of empty rhetoric of caring about its staff. They pay us so badly and work us so hard that they have to have numerous initiatives about sorting out our mental health and posters up all around the place about helping people with their money troubles. I'll laugh myself all the way to the bank if they ever lose this equal pay thing (and I'll have left way before that happens so the company won't be able to strip my real world pay and benefits any more. Screw them.

Yeap i want tesco to loose equal pay claim. For me today woud be bit over 9 years of compensation.
Regarding to the new pay i really do not see it attractive for potentially new employee, It's atleast 30p too low.
My wife is making 9.50 as a cleaner, and moan that there is not enough work to fill few hours a day and she sometimes come home earlier. So look at tescos 9.30 and the workload.
Not mentioning the fact that our night team shrink by 1/3 in last few months and now try to fill SS (26 aisles) again with 14 people max. People were saying pay is too low for work we do, and they left (days and nights)
Managers are suprised how many people left ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sometimes i am wondering why people want to work on days for so low rate when they are expected to fill for ex produce when they are part timers and do not have any commitements.

barafear

Our Pay deal has been reported on Tescoplc.com - and picked up by the papers:

Part of the quote from Tesco included:

It will start from September 5, with Tesco consulting with union reps from Usdaw to come up with the pay packet.

In its announcement today, the supermarket said its hourly rate has increased by 29.2% since July 2014.

I thought I'd do a bit of research and some calculations as well to see just how generous this appears.

I'm working on the assumption that the 29.2% increase includes the 25p increase to be implemented from Sept 2021 - So using my calculator, that gets me back to an hourly rate in July 2014 of: (9.55/1.292)  = £7.39

No doubt if the posts still exist on here, I could do a search and find some. I do remember when we went through the £7 barrier - but for now I'm going to assume our hourly rate was £7.39 in July 2014.

Now let's look at the National Living Wage (which was called the National Minimum wage before 2016) -

In July 2014, I believe it was £6.31 before increasing to £6.50 in October 2014.

Now the latest NLW is £8.91.

So in the same period, the Minimum legislative wage has increased from £6.31 to £8.91 or 41.2%!!!

In addition, obviously we know our "benefits" have reduced over that timeframe - I'm not sure when Double Pay to 1.5 pay (Sundays/BH) changed - but I'm guessing it was within this period. And then obviously recently the reduction to 1.25 - and looking at the comments on Ourtesco, people are now "really grateful" that those "tiny" premiums still exist!! Our expectations have reduced so much that Tesco have made a proportion of the workforce satisfied/happy with "maintaining these premiums".

In addition, I'm sure night premiums have become worse over time - I'm not a night worker - but didn't they reduced the hours that night premium was payable - as well as then freezing the night premium for several years - I'd also like to add that Location pay has remained frozen for at least the period of time in question - i.e. 2014 - meaning anyone with location pay - let's say the 45p rate - has seen their actual wage they are paid increase from £7.84 to £10 or an increase of 27.55% (not the 29.2% quoted) - in addition other "skills payments" have remained frozen - so any "%" increase only applies to the "base payment for a grade B/C GA (or whatever it is) -

And a further "in addition" - clearly, we lost the opportunity to qualify for an annual bonus -

Ok, Tesco will say we've had various one-off "discretionary" bonuses - etc. - but that's the problem with "discretionary" - again we rely on the "goodwill" of Tesco management to pay us.

Similarly, with the location pay - this can be taken away - with three months notice I believe - at any time - so not guaranteed or not to be relied upon.

It's bad enough that Tesco have rightly "scr3wed" us over but to then release a press statement making it look like we've been getting really good deals for the last seven years just rubs salt into the wounds!!

Sorry - another quote:

"Tesco has today announced a new pay deal for hourly-paid Store and Customer Fulfilment Centre (CFC) colleagues which will see their hourly rates increase 2.7% from £9.30 to £9.55 from 5 September 2021.

The one-year pay deal has been developed in partnership our elected Usdaw colleague representatives and Usdaw and is above inflation rates. It is focused on what colleagues have said is most important to them – a higher basic hourly rate. Since July 2014 our hourly rate has increased by 29.2%

Tesco is also increasing Night Premium Payments for eligible colleagues from the current rate of £2.21 to £2.30 from 5 September 2021 – an increase of 4.1%

It is important that we reward our colleagues for all they do, particularly after the last year when colleagues worked harder than ever to serve customers safely through the pandemic. We recognised their heroic efforts with separate, additional bonus payments through the year, and today, we are pleased to share a further investment in base salary. "

This is the full version from tescoplc.com

I also wanted to rebutt their idea of "is above inflation rates"

Well, looking at the latest RPI inflation rate, it currently stands at 2.9%!!

Of course, they'll say they're referring to the CPI rate - which is the lower rate that the Govt like to use for increasing benefits/allowances etc. - but most economists still state that RPI is more relevant to "normal households" as it includes housing costs (rent etc.)

In addition, again, economic experts expect inflation to increase over the course of the next 6-9 months - meaning that when we get our 2.7% increase in Sept, guess where even the lower rate of CPI inflation will be!!!

The Bank of England says inflation is heading above its two per cent target in the UK and will hit 2.5 per cent at the end of 2021.

Sorry - I just wanted to point out just how much Tesco try to pull the wool over our eyes.

grim up north

Always have and always will ^

stockcontroller

Quote from: barafear on 08-06-21, 07:01PM

It will start from September 5, with Tesco consulting with union reps from Usdaw to come up with the pay packet.

In its announcement today, the supermarket said its hourly rate has increased by 29.2% since July 2014.

I thought I'd do a bit of research and some calculations as well to see just how generous this appears.

I'm working on the assumption that the 29.2% increase includes the 25p increase to be implemented from Sept 2021 - So using my calculator, that gets me back to an hourly rate in July 2014 of: (9.55/1.292)  = £7.39

No doubt if the posts still exist on here, I could do a search and find some. I do remember when we went through the £7 barrier - but for now I'm going to assume our hourly rate was £7.39 in July 2014.

Now let's look at the National Living Wage (which was called the National Minimum wage before 2016) -

In July 2014, I believe it was £6.31 before increasing to £6.50 in October 2014.

So in the same period, the Minimum legislative wage has increased from £6.31 to £8.91 or 41.2%!!!

In addition, obviously we know our "benefits" have reduced over that timeframe - I'm not sure when Double Pay to 1.5 pay (Sundays/BH) changed - but I'm guessing it was within this period. And then obviously recently the reduction to 1.25 - and looking at the comments on Ourtesco, people are now "really grateful" that those "tiny" premiums still exist!! Our expectations have reduced so much that Tesco have made a proportion of the workforce satisfied/happy with "maintaining these premiums".

In addition, I'm sure night premiums have become worse over time - I'm not a night worker - but didn't they reduced the hours that night premium was payable - as well as then freezing the night premium for several years - I'd also like to add that Location pay has remained frozen for at least the period of time in question - i.e. 2014 - meaning anyone with location pay - let's say the 45p rate - has seen their actual wage they are paid increase from £7.84 to £10 or an increase of 27.55% (not the 29.2% quoted) - in addition other "skills payments" have remained frozen - so any "%" increase only applies to the "base payment for a grade B/C GA (or whatever it is) -

And a further "in addition" - clearly, we lost the opportunity to qualify for an annual bonus -

Ok, Tesco will say we've had various one-off "discretionary" bonuses - etc. - but that's the problem with "discretionary" - again we rely on the "goodwill" of Tesco management to pay us.

Similarly, with the location pay - this can be taken away - with three months notice I believe - at any time - so not guaranteed or not to be relied upon.

It's bad enough that Tesco have rightly "scr3wed" us over but to then release a press statement making it look like we've been getting really good deals for the last seven years just rubs salt into the wounds!!

Sorry - another quote:

"Tesco has today announced a new pay deal for hourly-paid Store and Customer Fulfilment Centre (CFC) colleagues which will see their hourly rates increase 2.7% from £9.30 to £9.55 from 5 September 2021.

The one-year pay deal has been developed in partnership our elected Usdaw colleague representatives and Usdaw and is above inflation rates. It is focused on what colleagues have said is most important to them – a higher basic hourly rate. Since July 2014 our hourly rate has increased by 29.2%

Tesco is also increasing Night Premium Payments for eligible colleagues from the current rate of £2.21 to £2.30 from 5 September 2021 – an increase of 4.1%

It is important that we reward our colleagues for all they do, particularly after the last year when colleagues worked harder than ever to serve customers safely through the pandemic. We recognised their heroic efforts with separate, additional bonus payments through the year, and today, we are pleased to share a further investment in base salary. "

Of course, they'll say they're referring to the CPI rate - which is the lower rate that the Govt like to use for increasing benefits/allowances etc. - but most economists still state that RPI is more relevant to "normal households" as it includes housing costs (rent etc.)

In addition, again, economic experts expect inflation to increase over the course of the next 6-9 months - meaning that when we get our 2.7% increase in Sept, guess where even the lower rate of CPI inflation will be!!!

The Bank of England says inflation is heading above its two per cent target in the UK and will hit 2.5 per cent at the end of 2021.

Sorry - I just wanted to point out just how much Tesco try to pull the wool over our eyes.

and this is one of the many many many reasons I left last year... just wish I had taken the redundancy they offered me when they were shafted stock control guys  ;D

NightAndDay

Quote from: barafear on 08-06-21, 07:01PM

Sorry - another quote:

29.2% over 7 years, 29.2 ÷ 7 = 4.17% a year, even taken at face value this is still rubbish.especially considering they would be legally obliged to increase it by just under that amount anyway to remain within the living wage.

Plenty of fat to get rid of at the top, I've always said it.

alf

Dunno about anyone else but I'd happily accept that yearly 4.17% increase.

barafear

If our starting point (i.e. 2014) was £10/hour then I think we all would!! But effectively, Tesco have been underpaying us all for years - hence the £3bn of profits they made on an annual basis before their "accounting scandal" was uncovered!!

It's also the reason why they've had to accelerate their pace of "downsizing" over the last seven years or so - because they realised that the Govt were finally recognising that the lowest paid in society were paid too low - and Tesco (and others) soon realised that over a period of time (let's say 5-10 years) they would have to provide for pay rises averaging around 4% a year - so in order to maintain their overall low cost base (for staff costs) that cuts had to be made.....

In summary, the message about this pay review - similar to the previous three or four pay reviews - is that most of us are considered to be unskilled workers and deserving of "no more" (or not much more) than minimum wage. If people think they are "skilled" - think how much training Tesco give new starters to effectively "do your job".

If people look back on this thread to when Sainsbury announced their fairly meagre pay review, both myself and another poster suggested that the immediate response by Tesco would not be that much different - i.e. matching Sainsbury's £9.50/hour. 

Of course, Tesco have added 5p - but are making us all wait a few more months to achieve that!!

With both Sainsbury's and Tesco heavily promoting their Aldi Price match promise on "hundreds of products" (another wool over the eyes moment - when you consider most Tesco stores would have in the region of 15000 product lines!!) - how come neither are that keen to "salary match"?

BarryZola

Even the bods at the Bank of England think that Britain needs a payrise in general:

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/britain-needs-pay-rise-says-070156917.html

chris9997

If you take the statement Tesco issued as if you did not work in retail but another sector the £9.55 they're blowing their trumpet at would not be seen as  a very poor hourly rate and if anyone says well it is not skilled, many council jobs are not skilled but are better paid.
Also I looked at a pay slip going back to 2014 at the difference in pay was less than £100 due to the cuts in premiums for Saturday night working.

King1999

At least everyone's jobs have become easier.👍😂😂😂😂😂p**s take.

chris9997

Quote from: chris9997 on 09-06-21, 04:49PM
If you take the statement Tesco issued as if you did not work in retail but another sector the £9.55 they're blowing their trumpet at would be seen as  a very poor hourly rate and if anyone says well it is not skilled, many council jobs are not skilled but are better paid.
Also I looked at a pay slip going back to 2014 at the difference in pay was less than £100 due to the cuts in premiums for Saturday night working.

BUY TESLA STOCK

For 9.55 you could hardly find a cleaner.

NightAndDay

I remember some dodgy SMs hiring illegal immigrants on 50p an hour or something silly to save on costs. He got away with it to.

Mdavidson036

Quote from: NightAndDay on 10-06-21, 02:20PM
I remember some dodgy SMs hiring illegal immigrants on 50p an hour or something silly to save on costs. He got away with it to.

I know the one you're on about, was a CFC.  Te*co was find £110k+ and the site manager was dismissed. Immigration prosecuted the site manager as well.

Slave64

I was TUPE over to vision express.  No choice but to go, our wages had not gone up until this year, and then only because minimum wage went up, so I'm finally on £9.00 an hour after years of service.  Horrible company Tesco shafted us to.

fatboy

Heard on the grapevine that dotcom drivers are getting a pay increase next month as well as the announced pay rise in September. Anyone else heard this?

Villager No.6

Rumour is drivers pay grade goes from D to H but it's not the huge leap that looks like. It'll actually be something between D and E (whatever that is), H is just the next free letter for coding.

fatboy

Yeah I was aware of the new pay grade of 'H'. This grade was brought in before the 2021 pay review was announced & is for dotcom drivers only. Nothing was announced in the pay review with regards as to when drivers would get it though which was a bit strange but it does look at some point that it will happen.

fatboy

Is it today that the 2021 pay increase comes into effect?

lordadmiral

Yes, 5th September. So we get 2 weeks enhanced pay in September and full increase in October.

PS.
Don't spend it all. Inflation on the rise :D we only get 2.7%. (less after taxes)  compared to UK average 8.8% (for last 3 months)

barafear

So little "publicity" about this in our store - surely they're not embarrassed that our "bumper pay rise" is struggling to keep up with CPI/RPI inflation - let alone as Lord Admiral stated the wider wage inflation in UK of 8.8%.

Poor showing by Tesco - and Usdaw to agree to it as well.

fatboy

Completely agree. Usually when we get an increase we get something through the post or at least it gets a mention on ourtesco. Obviously nothing to shout about this time.

NightAndDay

It's only going to get worse, Brexit is causing all sorts of supply issues, all this means is inflation on top of the usual factors, in the next 2 years I reckon we'll see wages as a whole jumped up significantly to keep up with inflation and interest rates going up as well, if things don't improve by the end of next year I can see a loaf of Tesco value bread being sold at £50 million a loaf.

fatboy

Is the £50 million including our colleague discount?  :D

Fair play

Quote from: NightAndDay on 06-09-21, 08:20PM
It's only going to get worse, Brexit is causing all sorts of supply issues, all this means is inflation on top of the usual factors, in the next 2 years I reckon we'll see wages as a whole jumped up significantly to keep up with inflation and interest rates going up as well, if things don't improve by the end of next year I can see a loaf of Tesco value bread being sold at £50 million a loaf.
Yeah and with the rise in nis that we and the employer has to pay to help with the cost of elderly care . Things are not going to get any easier 😔

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk