News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 10:50AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 295
Total: 299

Options / becoming a manager

Started by Siwel123, 06-12-19, 04:04PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redshoes

Stores are still on performance pay and they do have to manage big teams. So the answer to your friends pay is still the same.

NightAndDay

A lot people would say there isn't a big enough difference in pay between SL and the minimum for TM in light of the new structure changes, even £25k a year would at least put them at parity with Sainsbury's 2S CTMs.

Tesc0Wow

to be honest TM pay is better because it's performance based. Yes it's s*** but gets better over time if you do a good job. With SL no matter how hard you work it's still bad for the responsiblity

NightAndDay

With the real living wage now at £10.90 an hour outside of london and Tesco's habit of at least matching it year on year and giving the same nominal increase over all graded roles except for Delivery Drivers due to shortages, it implies that the next pay review will be at least an 80p an hour increase across all hourly paid roles, for Shift Leaders this means a minimum of £12.76 an hour, if premiums stay as they are, that means Shift Leaders could be paid over £25k a year from next year, if that is the case it would be very hard to justify new starting TMs to be on less than that.

londoner83

That presumes the business wants to keep the TM role....

Think it's more likely Shift Leaders will run the shift and existing TM/Lead will compete for a limited number of new manager roles.

NightAndDay

They'd be hard pushed for that considering the competition have managerial roles with similar responsibilities salaried, Shift Leaders are equivalent to 2S CTMs in Sainsbury's and they're on just over £25k a year, Team Managers have to do rotas, RTWs etc, more managerial responsibilities, those responsibilities are also not in the Shift Leader role pack, they can't add those responsibilities without using manager in the title and increasing pay by a substantial amount.

Tesc0Wow

Firstly RTWs are a SL job to do. ARs aren't. SL can look after departments when they're manager is away on annual leave/sick etc.

Also other roles and responsibilities such as helping with Rotas can be within SL role if required & agreed. There is a clause within the role pack saying that this list is not exhaustive and other jobs may be required from time to time.

Its such a broad role, which has its positives and negatives.

londoner83

With regards to rotas this will soon be controlled by computer, rather than Team Managers.

Under the new contract, you can be scheduled anywhere instore as the computer will use your availability window to deliver all fill/pick/serve tasks across the store eliminating any red hours.

The days of the Produce Manager (for example) scheduling produce staff to cover all produce tasks will soon be over.

lucgeo

So is the department specific to be removed from their new contract  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

kaled78

it will be intresting to see what this new system does with breaks,i:e Fred your on produce from 9-12,then grocery for 12-1,then back on produce from 1-6,what about my lunch hour?,oh just go 12-1 fred

whatajoke2019

This is what it says online:

If colleagues are scheduled to work in other departments during their shift, it's important that colleagues go for their break as close to the set time as possible, and at very least taken while working on the same department that the break was scheduled. Failing to do this could mean a colleague has to take breaks on another department where there is none scheduled. This could leave a gap on that department E.g.

Customer Service Desk could have a gap as a break was not taken earlier in the day on a previous department or worse a colleague does not get all of their breaks.

You can use the Scheduler tablet and MPC to review the break times for colleagues.

Will be interesting to see what happens when checkouts leave service call folk on there for hours on end, even when queues have died down, and people are taking their breaks when they should be filling BWS, for example  ;D

lucgeo

It won't last...there'll be instore arguments going on with the section managers...they didn't get their full quota of help, there was an all hands, their colleagues were called on checkouts so took later breaks, the daily rumble ( or 3) not calculated for etc..etc..
Then the store manager and senior team will override every one of them,  to have their own preferred departments fully covered, totally disregarding the system.

It's the old brown paper initiatives and training scenario all over again!

Bobmay

Quote from: lucgeo on 28-09-22, 07:48AMSo is the department specific to be removed from their new contract  ???

That false you will have your department but if there is need you will work another department

lucgeo

That was a question, not a statement  8-)

londoner83

Bobmay- the vast majority of colleagues will have a job title of Tesco Colleague.

Each will have a primary task (their current department) but depending on how much work there is on that area at the time your scheduled to work, you could be scheduled on other areas you are trained on (secondary tasks).

Jeff123

Options is a complete joke, Tesco is a disgrace, the company clearly have an agenda to promote only people who improve diversity figures, senior managers are corrupt and fake, they treat colleagues differently and have favourites and bend the rules for the staff they like.
There is no one at any level who cares and you can't not trust that any concerns raised would be addressed fairly instead any feedback they don't want to hear is avoided and swept under the carpet.

SpudChucker1970

Quote from: Jeff123 on 30-03-23, 09:45PMOptions is a complete joke, Tesco is a disgrace, the company clearly have an agenda to promote only people who improve diversity figures, senior managers are corrupt and fake, they treat colleagues differently and have favourites and bend the rules for the staff they like.
There is no one at any level who cares and you can't not trust that any concerns raised would be addressed fairly instead any feedback they don't want to hear is avoided and swept under the carpet.

Had a bad experience, have you? Jealousy gets you no where.

If the company is that bad, why work for them?

JJH

Quote from: Jeff123 on 30-03-23, 09:45PMOptions is a complete joke, Tesco is a disgrace, the company clearly have an agenda to promote only people who improve diversity figures, senior managers are corrupt and fake, they treat colleagues differently and have favourites and bend the rules for the staff they like.

Someone didn't get signed off

Jeff123

Quote from: SpudChucker1970 on 30-03-23, 11:04PM

Had a bad experience, have you? Jealousy gets you no where.

If the company is that bad, why work for them?

Had years of bad experiences, years of senior managers not following process correctly and making it up as they go along.

Golden handcuffs I've invested to many years to leave my current role losing my benefits is not something I can afford but it is disheartening witnessing years of poor behaviours and processes not followed correctly to the detriment of my career after years of loyalty.

If you raise a concern it is washed over and ignored and again failings in process, store managers unsupportive, colleague partners failing to respond or follow up on concerns, protectorline failing to investigate.

So due to other people treating me badly,

Your answer is why work for Tesco? The answer should be an honest transparent workplace where all processes are followed fairly and people are given equal opportunity's.

londoner83

Where are you trying to get to on options? A lot of management roles are being made redundant so there simply may not be a position to promote you into. Obviously existing managers that passed the scoring will fill any vacancies first.

Redshoes

There will be options after structure change is fully implemented. The company will no longer be too heavy with managers. The new roles are however much bigger and should be more admin based. Shift leads should run the shop floor so there should be less filling, there will never be none. Just a hint though, as you go up the ranks you just end up with more and more people handing out tasks. You manage your team but you still have those above you. Sometimes you need to let go. As a team manager you are responsible but the store manager is accountable. You can have a difference of opinion but you need to pick your battles, and pick them well.
Stores differ, even within the same group. If it's not working out for you it's time to take the control back. Why not try moving stores within the group or close to home. I did this many years ago and it worked for me.
As for staying or leaving the company, it all depends on circumstances but it's not good to be in a toxic environment. Many find that options is not what they expected but butting heads with those above is not the most productive way to do things.

NorthbyNorthwest

@Redshoes has nailed it completely. Once the dust is settled with the management moves etc, look at getting out of your current store. For many a year I was a 'General Assistant' ( as we were then called ), and I was that person who managers would go to to sort or do tasks others wouldn't.
I accepted it as I wanted to progress, but I would never progress, I was just a tool, a yes man, a dogsbody who was always hungry, but I was never fed. And it was all my own fault.
However, I had in a five year period, a great SM who saw potential and couldn't believe I hadn't progressed, a Team Leader position to Line Manager position to moving to a different store. It worked for me, and now I'm long in the tooth and moving on through redundancy.
I would definitely recommend moving store, I don't know the dynamic of your store, but I would say you're probably as I was many moons ago. Give yourself a fresh start elsewhere and I'm sure the effort you put in will be rewarded.

NightAndDay

It's a fine balance between knowing your worth, being open to constructive criticism, gaining experience from that, doing your time and having the right amount of flexibility, you don't want to be completely flexible as to be a yes man, but you need to balance the interests of the business with your own development.

Nobody should be stuck in the same place for more than 2 years without progression and 5 years in general. As a person who's worn many hats and jumped many ships, the art of the deal is knowing your worth but not being too big for your own boots, if you're all style and no substance, talk the talk but don't walk the walk, that's a fast track way to ruin your own reputation and hold yourself back.

Moving stores, starting afresh is absolutely essential to moving up the pay scale. I've done this with great success, I strongly suspect if I didn't leave for a different company, I would still be a SL, maybe a TM, but gaining experience in other more senior roles elsewhere has resulted in my potential being recognized appropriately and being placed as head of a Delivery Group within the company with a salary that reflects that now being roughly 7x what I earned as a Shift Leader.

Teddybonkers

Davethebave

I'd honestly recommend trying shift leader role before making the jump to TM.

As mentioned the new TM role is much bigger than it was in the past. Before you could make the transition from GA to TM because you'd only be looking after an area with a small team. By doing SL first you'd get the experience of the day to day while taking some time to help TM with small admin tasks. I think we will see a lot more TM stepping down into SL roles in the coming months

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk