News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:20PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,120
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 307
Total: 312

Unloading a lorry by myself??

Started by kimbolina, 15-11-17, 09:50AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darklighter

Quote from: hesketh on 15-11-17, 06:25PM
Quote from: belfast driver on 15-11-17, 04:32PM
You'll have to unload and reload yourself if your using a scissor lift. Only tail lift deliveries requires 2 people.

Possibly in NI, but certainly not in England, Wales or Scotland. Although only one person (in addition to the driver) is required whilst loading UODs from the trailer to the lift, two people are required to unload from the lift to the ground. The D/D transdeck is level to the ground when UODs are moved from it so not the same issue.

As forrestgimp has advised, avoid direct conflict as it can have unpleasant side effects. If you can get the union to argue for you that is a much better idea.

I like darklighter's reference to following every procedure to the letter but you have to be absolutely sure that you are right or you lose credibility rapidly.
Thank you hesketh and if she follows procedure she will always be right, they cannot touch her whatsoever otherwise they are saying their own health and safety measures are advisory and not compulsory.

This poor excuse for a manager does not and will not have a leg to stand on when a colleague follows procedure as although these rules are routinely broken to speed things up they are not there to be broken and when the excrement hits the fan, that manager could find themselves on a very sticky wicket.

chris9997

Quote from: belfast driver on 15-11-17, 04:32PM
You'll have to unload and reload yourself if your using a scissor lift. Only tail lift deliveries requires 2 people.
if pulling cages onto scissor lift this requires 2 people (someone the other side to operate gates and remove cages from lift. You would be the wrong side of cages)

weebee

If a regular thing simple dont wear safety shoes

PETE_M

Quote from: trolleyboy96 on 15-11-17, 06:40PM
We do see more often that the duty manager or stock or compliance manager tends to help. Even saw the store manager put some safety shoes on and tip with the backdoor colleague yep it's true and it's not viewpoint season!!

I know many of you wont believe this but I've had a PM help me tip a wagon...  :o :o :o

redders

baldeagle

Sorry people I'm a bit out of touch having retired last year.  Drivers have risk assessments on the microlise system in the cabs it comes under documents, this covers stores AND equipment hope this helps.

hesketh

It became inconvenient to have the drivers insisting on things being done things properly :-X

The store's procedures were removed from the risk assessments some time ago.
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

baldeagle

As I understand the new system. store risk assessment's and equipment SSOW are on tablet that in the drivers cab for all to see. If I'm wrong please correct me.

hesketh

The risk assessment definitely refers only to the driver elements of the process but there are hundreds of other documents on the tablet which may include the SSOW from the store perspective.

I will check tonight.....

kaled78

talking to one of the backdoorman in my store he said the hand signals we were supposed to use to help drivers reverse on the bay,had vanished from our last risk assessment update,and staff are to remain in the building when a driver reverses at all times,but in the next line it contradicts itself by saying insure no other vehicles or staff/public are in the area whilst this manouver takes place(you can't do that if you are inside the building!)

hesketh

The driver's tablet SSOW for a scissor lift delivery does not contain the store's requirements. It mentions a single store operative a few times but then refers to the SSOW for handling roll cages which is not on the tablet.

I hope the mention of a single person is just standard laziness and it has not been surreptitiously changed. I am sure that the SSOW for handling roll cages will include a requirement for two persons to be necessary where a ramp situation is involved. A scissor lift is not a fully installed dock leveler and often has a somewhat difficult off-ramp.

optout

any chance of posting the full thing on here? a copy and paste job possibly?

and does anybody have access to the store-side SSOW for scissor-lift etc? And if so could you copy and paste it onto this thread?

I am sure it would come in very handy for many who feel unable to ask their own managers for a look at this document.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Lonechecker

To load and unload a double deck trailer. It MUST be done by 2 members of staff at all times. You must both go up and down in the lift together and should never leave one person on a deck just to enable more stock to be tipped faster. This is in the event of an emergency one can get help if needed. Its all H & S stuff. The loaders would never dream of doing it solo at our depot.

Hope that helps

VladPutin

In nearly twenty years, I've never known a back doorman to take fresh cages to the ambient or chill. That's the job of produce and diary workers. Back door takes it off the wagon, checks the labels and we take it the rest of the way.

Not surprised the manager isn't willing to help. Our lift once broke down, and we had to tip the wagons in the back yard and pull the bloody cages up the ramp into the warehouse by hand. Not fun at all. The mangers promised to help, but all conviently disappeared for a "conference call" when the wagon turned up.

FarmerFred

Jolly rare for produce or fresh to ever help out in our store on days - they rarely even drag a cage away if the happen to pass by. Every 6 months or so someone has a fit about turnaround times and we have about a week of getting support before the managers loose interest. The funniest part is how the produce lads all proclaim that they are super fit and have the hardest job in store, but soon moan about dragging anything more than a few cages of delivery whereas it's not unknown for us to be dragging waggons for 3 or 4 hours at a time with only a brief pause between loads.

I've not seen anything in KYS or SSOW for DD deliveries that explicitly states having a second store monkey on hand, but will check when I get a chance.

trolleyboy96

The mtl auditor only looks for one person to tip a wagon with a scissor lift, watched him numerous times watch the backdoor for process and never fails or not met on the new way of scoring.

If it's a tail lift in the yard then other rules apply, has to be 2 people, a double decker again 2 people.

RubyRed

I've always been under the impression that a colleague and the driver is sufficient when it's a scissor lift tip

Arketti

Can someone under18 work on back door with another team members 'supervision'? Is that team member liable if the under  18 has an accident?

checkoutmonkey

Under 18s should not be working on the back door at all

trolleyboy96

As above under 18's can not tip wagons, you can move cages once in the warehouse but that's it. When I say move cages I mean as trained not 2 at a time and you can't use the electric cage movers.

Arketti

If someone is under 18, working on back door, operating machinery, letting in deliveries etc are Tesco breaking the law?

trolleyboy96

Well the manager that allows it is, Tesco would deny all knowledge. It's up to the manager to manage...I know don't laugh...

lackofinterest

strictly off limits and against company policy and the law!!

Olivia Pope

Absolutely, shocking , the person should refuse

lackofinterest

the person MUST refuse and tell the store manager as soon as possible. all managers should know the rules regarding under 18's whether it be what jobs they are not allowed to do and also at what times they are not allowed to work

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk