News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:16PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 279
Total: 281

Unloading a lorry by myself??

Started by kimbolina, 15-11-17, 09:50AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimbolina

Can someone help?  I work pre sort and also unload lorries as well. I am trained, wear my safety boots and we have a scissor lift.  The duty manager told me I had to unload the fresh lorry by myself.  Now I know I'm only 5ft nothing and a slim girl, I really don't mind doing the job but I do need help.  I asked her if there was anyone to help me and she flat out refused.

My questions are, should there be 2 people unloading a lorry? should I just shut up and get on with it or refuse to do it?

Many thanks in advance.

Offthewire

You should be able to tip it by yourself but you should always have members of the fresh/produce team there to take the cages to the relevant areas.  The duty managers attitude sounds disgraceful. Speak to a union rep about this if you can.

rayinski

As far I can remember, it's a two person job. I'm sure someone will be able to confirm this shortly.

kimbolina

Thank you both.  No I was expected to tip it and put the cages away too!  It took me forever to get done plus load on rubbish after.  I'm hoping it is a two man job so I can next time tell her this and have my facts straight.

lackofinterest

in future if the duty manager insists you do it alone then take your time and go home on time. if its not finished then tough. the lazy tw*t should have helped you  >:(

JL

You expect some help at Tosco.  :D

I have asked many times and the time it has taken the LM to explain how I can't he could've had the job finished.

his scots tie

You should have a tip and fill team to help you.Its impossible to achieve tip and fill times on your own.

kimbolina

I was kind of hoping there was something in health and safety regarding this but i suppose its at the duty managers desecration  :'(

darklighter

Okay, if they are going to be a smart arse then by all means, unload it yourself.

make sure you have space for the delivery.

Once driver has stopped safely, get out into the yard, make sure driver leaves vehicle for your safety.

check temperature gauge then check any seals.

Get driver to open lorry then return to his/her cab for reverse manoeuvre.

making sure you are safely back inside the warehouse, inflate door seal then use the traffic light system to indicate to driver it is safe to reverse.

Once reversed, open loading bay door.

Tell the driver, they are to stay on the lorry to unstrap cages/dollies and pull them forward one at a time for you to place on the lift.

load delivery cages/dollies onto lift, one cage/dolly at a time.

When lift is full, unload cages/dollies into that space, one cage/dolly at a time.

Reload with rsu, one cage/dolly at a time, it's compulsory if you are to comply with health and safety.

Driver goes outside and into cab.

close loading bay doors to deflate seal and use traffic light system to let driver know it is safe to pull forward.

Once lorry is stopped safely, go outside and make sure driver leaves the cab.

Driver will close doors and you will use seal on lorry.

Return to warehouse.

open gates when driver is ready to leave.

close gates.

Seeing as no one is availiable to help you with delivery, I assume it will still be there when you have completed the previous steps.

Now, get you temperature probe and following safe and legal temperature check guidance and your training select cages for temperature checks on chilled and frozen goods.

Once this is complete, start moving the cages/dollies one at a time into the chiller, do not rush, your safety is important.

Keep a diary of all requests whether you think they are unreasonable or not and inform your union rep of the situation just so they are aware what is going on.

hesketh

Unloading a delivery by any means other than a dock leveler is a two person job (this does not include the driver). Tip and Fill is quite rare these days and turn around times are the Store Manager's problem.....

Insist on reading the Safe System Of Work (SSOW) for the operation.

The "manager" will capitulate immediately.

Better safe than popular.....
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

kimbolina

So i can refuse to do it without help then and not lose my job? Lol :P Ill tell her to read the SSOW aswell.  Thank you.

hesketh

It isn't a good idea to just refuse. Politely insist upon seeing the SSOW before you can proceed.

Make her hang herself...... ;)

forrestgimp

Quote from: kimbolina on 15-11-17, 03:56PM
So i can refuse to do it without help then and not lose my job? Lol :P Ill tell her to read the SSOW aswell.  Thank you.

Obviously a flat refusal on your part will leave you open to all manner of problems, My advice would be to speak to a Union rep if you are a member if not ask for a membership form and fill it in before you mention this to them as if you mention it before they cant help you but once you fill the form in and hand it back to the rep (do not post it yourself) you are able to have union help.

Speak to them ask them to mediate and go from there.

belfast driver

You'll have to unload and reload yourself if your using a scissor lift. Only tail lift deliveries requires 2 people.
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

kimbolina

Ok ill just get on and do it in future but ill take my time  8)
Thank you all

baldeagle

Please do not take this as a criticism its not .If you dont know how many staff it takes to off load from a scissor lift I would suggest you have NOT been trained.you need to see the SSOW not follow what is the norm at your store. Put your request to see the SSOW in writing to cover you.Have you been signed off, if so go back to the person who signed you off and ask them how many staff are required. If you have NOT been trained correctly this is a H&S issue. And follow darklighters advise totally correct

kaled78

Im pretty sure the stores with a transdeck that get deckers only require 1 backdoorman as well in tesco's eyes

hesketh

Quote from: belfast driver on 15-11-17, 04:32PM
You'll have to unload and reload yourself if your using a scissor lift. Only tail lift deliveries requires 2 people.

Possibly in NI, but certainly not in England, Wales or Scotland. Although only one person (in addition to the driver) is required whilst loading UODs from the trailer to the lift, two people are required to unload from the lift to the ground. The D/D transdeck is level to the ground when UODs are moved from it so not the same issue.

As forrestgimp has advised, avoid direct conflict as it can have unpleasant side effects. If you can get the union to argue for you that is a much better idea.

I like darklighter's reference to following every procedure to the letter but you have to be absolutely sure that you are right or you lose credibility rapidly.

trolleyboy96

Yep scissor lift is a one person job, but we do still use tip/fill team from fresh when that's in, 90% of the time the grocery is just one person as it arrives at 11am and twilight store so no grocery staff till 4pm.

We do see more often that the duty manager or stock or compliance manager tends to help. Even saw the store manager put some safety shoes on and tip with the backdoor colleague yep it's true and it's not viewpoint season!!

GasMonkey

Quote from: kimbolina on 15-11-17, 03:56PM

You can refuse to move cages that are unreasonably heavy or that have damaged wheels also shippers that are famous for having wheels that don't want to go in the direction you want to go in.  As mentioned in a previous post move everything one at a time even when questioned by your boss, no one can force you to move more than one.  If all else fails speak to your union rep if you have one and get them to take it to the next stage.

Despite Tosco's we do this and we do that attitude if your store is anything like the one I work in Health & Safety only seems to apply if and when they deem it to be to their benefit not yours.  Good luck with your battle  :thumbup:

baldeagle

Question if only one person plus driver are used when operating a scissor lift how do you get down if it goes wrong?

Nomad

Seems we need an SSOW for a scissor lift.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

baldeagle

Yes Nomad,we do not what happens locally.Just as a point drivers are not allowed to put the flap down from the lift into the trailer,I jest you not but how many staff would know this.

optout

I would second Nomads request.

And add the following question; Has anybody who has given advice on this thread ACTUALLY READ the SSOW for scissor-lift deliveries in England and Wales?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

baldeagle

I have, but only from a drivers print out. its amazing how many staff drivers and stores who do not know the correct procedure and just do what everybody else does

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk