News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:08PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 281
Total: 288

ASDA

Started by Twinkeltoes1, 13-06-14, 03:45PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SensibleSid

The last time I bought a tube of Pringles, (it was sometime ago), I thought they were about £1.50 ish.
So I was surprised to see a sign in a local Express, offering Pringles at Half Price, £1.30 instead of £2.60.
Bemused by the idea that anybody has ever bought Pringles for £2.60, I went home and idly googled a supermarket comparison site.
Tesco and Waitrose were both charging £2.48, but with 2 for 1, Sainsbury were £2.50 with 2 for 1.
Morrisons were no nonsense 1 for £1.24
Asda were £2.48!    But then you could take advantage of their 3 for £3, if you wanted, saving 24p per tube against Tescos special offer!

OpShunned

Happy New Year to our Asda colleagues and many thanks for your efforts over Xmas, all our love Walmart (apologies if it seems a tad quick)

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/5-000-asda-staff-redeployed-amid-talk-of-redundancies-1-7687807

OvaSees

Dreadful time for such an announcement, but you can be sure Tesco will not be far behind with this.

FatFraz

Tesco are reluctant to make cuts at the high end so low paid staff are losing jobs. Until changes are made to this they will always fold. I can get dairy products out of my newsagent cheaper than Tesco nowadays. At least Asda are being upfront with staff. Who knows what will happen at Tesco in the new year I definitely wont be spending as much this Christmas. We all know the business model is unsustainable.

Welshie

They're cutting team leaders , probably like Tesco they would be better cutting managers !

redders

Managers cost to much in redundancy, cut the team leaders give the managers more to do with no more money, they leave, hire new managers on less money with more responsibilities job done.

fargone

They all underestimated the Discounters.

Equalizer87

Underestimated them and still do. Tesco's hubris will cost them again and again.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

londoner83

Not all managers are long serving and a lot could be got rid of for not a lot of money compared to the long term savings.
We do not need a 1980's management structure when most departments run on a handful of staff. If you can run a Extra on a Sunday with 3-5 Managers can anyone justify the need for 30+ on a quieter Tuesday/Wednesday.....

redders

FatFraz

The night crew had a management structure that should be enough for a large extra on busy days. 1 Lead and 3/4 LMs. Get an equal amount of PT and FT GAs and an agency which is phoned when the warehouse is too full for staff for a few day/months help. The SMs should be responsible for a few stores in an area and the SD should oversee a full area.

Nomad

[admin]This thread is about ASDA.[/admin]
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

OpShunned

If Asda want to save money on stacking and tidy shelves just do what the Germans do, fill the aisles and fridges with boxes. Far more efficient (but hey that's what Germans do well) and evidently cuts costs. If consumers expect more 'Finesse'  from the top four why are they shopping with the Germans? Where is 'shopping snobbery' evident given the march of the Germans?

It's a stark reality that technology will see fewer and fewer human beings employed in store. Did the Germans anticipate it first? However, do they have plans to use technology to match the top four that will surely utilise high tec stuff to get consumers through their door without them having to interact with a human?

Dave Lewis said at the start of his tenure that he wanted more staff at the front line, yet Asda want less at their coal-face. If both are competing with the upstarts which approach is likely to succeed?

Aldi and Lidl aren't 'Discounters' are they, come on?

The definition of discount is to 'reduce the price'. We universally know that they sell items under their own umbrellas with no fancy offers or misleading BS. They sell quality food, at low cost, facilitated by their ability to put it on the shelf at lower operating costs and margins than the so-called top four.

They re not discounters. It's semantics? Why though? Is that a separate discussion?

tumshie

Dave Lewis said at the start of his tenure that he wanted more staff at the front line, yet Asda want less at their coal-face.

Aren't Asda doing much the same as Tesco in getting rid of teammleaders?

a proposal that could mean 842 section leaders being removed from its store management teams.

formerscoboy

Quote from: Welshie on 08-12-17, 01:36PM
They're cutting team leaders , probably like Tesco they would be better cutting managers !

They did! 3 years ago in my old store made 40% of the management team redundant. Replaced with section leader. 40p an hour and a special t-shirt for store responsibility. Now they've gone and removing Ga wages. Business model is f***ed. Trying to run it like lidl but major supermarkets make everything to complex. Its boxes in boxes out.

OvaSees

Quote from: OpShunned on 08-12-17, 09:48PM
They re not discounters. It's semantics? Why though? Is that a separate discussion?
Agree, they are not discounters - they are just much much simpler supermarkets, untainted by the complexities and 'bells and whistles' of the Big 4 that only ever served to improve profits. Its the simplicity of Aldi and Lidl that makes them more efficient coupled with a low cost operating model and better buying practices. To compete as one of the Big 4, you'd have to take the whole business apart and build it again, perhaps this is where ASDA are going?

Quote from: formerscoboy on 09-12-17, 05:52AM
They did! 3 years ago in my old store made 40% of the management team redundant. Replaced with section leader. 40p an hour and a special t-shirt for store responsibility. Now they've gone and removing Ga wages. Business model is f***ed. Trying to run it like lidl but major supermarkets make everything to complex. Its boxes in boxes out.
Precisely this.

Quote from: Equalizer87 on 08-12-17, 06:13PM
Underestimated them and still do. Tesco's hubris will cost them again and again.
Exactly, we think we are unassailable - too big to fail - but the world has irreversibly changed, so have the people in it and the economy they live in, so the reality is that the Big 4 are now too big to succeed in the long term. They've had their time and it was very good for them while it lasted as the conditions favoured them for a long time but they don't anymore. Tesco is now outdated and stubbornly still believes, because of its history, that what it is has done in the past will continue to make it strong in the future and the rise of ALDI and Lidl over the last few years has proven this to be very wrong.

I made a rare trip to ASDA last week and as a customer the entire experience from start to finish was just terrible - don't get me started on self-scan there. On Sunday I went to Lidl and was straight in and straight out getting everything I wanted at a price that was better than everywhere else and was not distracted by any marketing 'gimmicks' - as many Big 4 executives have said, food retail is very simple in its essence in that the winners are those who give customers what they want better than others and this is why Lidl and ALDI are winning because that's exactly what they are doing in today's world.

GasMonkey

All the Big 4 use the same set up what you gain on the roundabout you loose on the swings. They will sell you a bottle of bleach for under a £1 but they will fleece you when it comes to the every day basics

londoner83

Best way for a supermarket to save money is to scrap manned tills and make them all card only self serve. Wage costs and operating costs could be slashed......

It's plainly going to happen, perhaps with the need to repay the debt Asda will lead.

chris9997

If the news story is correct and the two brothers who have purchased Asda have saddled the company with a massive debt pile, the buisness model does seem a little odd selling off  there warehouses distribution network and petrol stations, where I ca see the reason behind selling the petrol stations to sell off there warehouses and distribution does seem a little odd.
The debt servicing is going to set them back £125m a year against a profit of £500m a year, but surely having the almighty juggernaut that was Walmart behind them would of allowed very good margins. If I worked for them I would be worried about the future.

Redshoes

Quote from: londoner83 on 17-02-21, 08:58AM
Best way for a supermarket to save money is to scrap manned tills and make them all card only self serve. Wage costs and operating costs could be slashed......

It's plainly going to happen, perhaps with the need to repay the debt Asda will lead.

Higher theft through self service tills. Walk Off’s can be mistakes too, cctv clearly show customer has tapped card and thinks they have paid but transaction did not complete. I would say that in my store the tills are good, very few mistakes but the walk Off’s are at a higher level than main bank mistakes. It does save on wages though.
The change to checkouts has been prompted by the change in shopping during COVID. On the whole customers are buying more but coming less often. Big trolleys tend to be card payment. Big trolleys do not fit well with self service. The loading (scale) side is also not big enough for a full main fleet trolley.
Scan as you shop has its own issues. It does fit very well with a full main fleet trolley but the loss on these can be high too.
I use SAYS in my local extra and love it. I had in my previous store and used it. We don’t have in the store I’m in now. We have been assessed a few times and always told we don’t have room for the handset wall.

dsd

Can't see where to start a new thread, probably for the best.
ASDA are to close their HESTON & DARTFORD home shopping centres.
Back to shop based delivers I think.  Transfers, redundancy etc..
Obvious from beginning the place couldn't run at a decent turnover. Even done hub + spoke which never made economic sense to me but what do I know.
It's called a consultation, apparently.

Twinkeltoes1

Thousands of Asda workers are to be balloted on the retailers latest pay offer.

The Grocer has learnt the GMB union will hold a ballot starting on 31 January and ending 14 February, with drivers and distribution centre workers deciding whether accept Asda's latest wage increase offer which it made at the end of last week .

Further negotiation was held after 94% of warehouse, clerical workers and HGV drivers refused to accept an initial pay offer from Asda, demanding what they called a "meaningful rise".

The union claimed Asda owners the Issa brothers had failed to take into account soaring inflation and the role workers have played feeding the nation in the pandemic.

However, Asda sources claim the union has made "unreasonable" demands, with the GMB seeking "eye-watering" pay rises of more than 20%.

The latest offers has seen Asda offer base rate increases to warehouse and clerical staff ranging from 4.98% to 6.10% and 6.49% to 7.53% for transport staff.

The exact amount depends on their role and where they are based in the UK.

T.C.1

So the national forum for Tesco should go along the lines of so the people who work in DC's got a 6% pay rise plus bounces and the lorry drivers who take it to the stores got a 6% pay rise with bounces then the staff taking it off the lorry and then put it on the shelves got naff all!! or if lucky a tub of sweets over Christmas period.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk