News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 09:47PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,125
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Step up

Started by Sjm23, 31-10-22, 06:01PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sjm23

Has anyone ever been a gold step up for shift leader/team support and is it worth it to actually doing the job full time?

pitdiver

My wife was a Cash/admin in an express. She was asked time and time again would she like to be shift leader.Three separate managers tried to convince her to take the job. She was more than capable.In fact she probably knew more about the store than some of the managers. She declined said it wasn't worth the hassle.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Sjm23 on 31-10-22, 06:01PMHas anyone ever been a gold step up for shift leader/team support and is it worth it to actually doing the job full time?

Been there done that got the t-shirt, a word from the wise, in all businesses there is always a team that gets the short straw, that gets bamboozled, in Tesco this is by a wide margin the step up/shift leader, for the amount of money they're paid it's akin to slave labour, there is a very good reason why they're having trouble recruiting and retaining them in Express format.

I left the company to come back a few years later into a completely different position, it's night and day in terms of how much stress I have to go through and how I'm treated in my current position compared to back when I was a Shift Leader.

BobsBananas

Short answer - no
Long answer - nnnnnoooooo

Redshoes

It depends on the store.
We have two step-ups in our store. They are given a small area to look after (as in rota's) and if anything comes up that is a bit new or different we try and pull them in to show what we are doing. They are sort of on the managers rota as they have completed the online training but lack experience. They may fill in and support but are not getting full shifts. As in, they may take duty to cover breaks or they take duty but a manager in on hand for if needed. They are now both confident to open the store but they are not on the rota to do this.

General Thorn

Quote from: BobsBananas on 01-11-22, 10:28PMShort answer - no
Long answer - nnnnnoooooo
;D  ;D  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Happyguy

Quote from: Redshoes on 02-11-22, 09:10AMIt depends on the store.
We have two step-ups in our store. They are given a small area to look after (as in rota's) and if anything comes up that is a bit new or different we try and pull them in to show what we are doing. They are sort of on the managers rota as they have completed the online training but lack experience. They may fill in and support but are not getting full shifts. As in, they may take duty to cover breaks or they take duty but a manager in on hand for if needed. They are now both confident to open the store but they are not on the rota to do this.

This sounds like good management to me.

Cheerleader

Quote from: Sjm23 on 31-10-22, 06:01PMHas anyone ever been a gold step up for shift leader/team support and is it worth it to actually doing the job full time?

We have step ups in our store they have like one shift a week as step up and you get paid the sl wage for the shift so definitely worth doing

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk