News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

19-04-24, 07:19AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,362
  • Total Topics: 636
  • Online today: 516
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 389
Total: 392

Attendance review

Started by dfl, 23-02-24, 10:15PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfl

I got sent away from work as had a phone call informing me one of my pets was being taken to vets by ex partner to be put to sleep. I have since been off sick for unrelated thing but management still counting the pet incident as part absence (i had actually started shift that day but was told to go straight away), should this not be counted as a "domestic", im not expecting paid for it but shocked to find its not being taken out the calculations of absence
DFL

biggerpicture

Sorry for the loss of your pet.
You will of had a welcome back meeting which is correct.
This absence should be treated as domestic and not included in the %.
Were you offered to make your time back? or use holiday hours?

lucgeo

@dfl

How much of your shift had you completed? Unsure of the % of shift worked to qualify for full shift pay,think some other poster may know?

When you say "sent home" by whom? If a manager TOLD you to go home, rather than you ask them, then the shift should be paid in full and not classed as absence.

It should be classed as domestic at least, though some dog loving managers I've known would have classed it as bereavement. I would certainly query their inclusion as absence rather than domestic!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

grim up north

Surely it'll have been a case of 'go home mate' when management were informed of the news. Not 'GO HOME NOW'. So in other words, suggested you go home

fatlad

Anything over 50% of hours worked would qualify for a full day's pay.

Lizzyw11

It would only be paid as a full day if you went home sick . As it's classed as a domestic it would be classed as sickness % unless it's been put in wrong in work and pay .

lucgeo

Quote from: grim up north on 24-02-24, 09:03AMSurely it'll have been a case of 'go home mate' when management were informed of the news. Not 'GO HOME NOW'. So in other words, suggested you go home
Regardless of how it's said...if a managers says go home, it's a statement not a suggestion and therefore fully paid shift.
If it was offered as choice...i.e. do you want to go home? Then it's a suggestion and not fully paid shift.

Freddie31

I have question. I was off sick week before last for 4 days.  When I got back no one did my welcome back. Today the store manager asked if I had done welcome back.  I said no. He said do it tonight.  Must be out of process by now?

In my store people get paid time off when their pet dies.
Ask your union rep if its policy. I've known loads of staff and managers get paid and its not been treated as sickness over the years.

Sherwoodforest

Bereavement Leave cannot be taken following the death of a Pet, however we do understand that in many cases people can be very close to their pets, and the loss of one can be very emotional.  We will always support colleagues with a  period of unpaid compassionate leave following a death of a pet where a colleague needs some time to come to terms with the situation, or the time can be taken as holiday or as a shift swap where the hours are worked back within the same week.
Tesco Finest Karma,best served bent over💩

Doggiedoodle

That's shocking it should be classed as bereavement a pet is part of your family! And to be honest I love my dog a lot more than some of my family 🤦🏻�♀️🤷🏻�♀️😁

lucgeo

Quote from: Freddie31 on 24-02-24, 10:44AMI have question. I was off sick week before last for 4 days.  When I got back no one did my welcome back. Today the store manager asked if I had done welcome back.  I said no. He said do it tonight.  Must be out of process by now?
It is out of process...nice try by store manager though  ;)

Do not mention it tonight, and if they try to do it ask for a companion or a union rep as you believe it's out of process.
The rules are on Tesco policies for people.

dfl

I was told to go immediately to go
DFL

lucgeo

@dfl

Then it's fully paid and should not be in % absence.

Longtimelad

Quote from: Freddie31 on 24-02-24, 10:44AMI have question. I was off sick week before last for 4 days.  When I got back no one did my welcome back. Today the store manager asked if I had done welcome back.  I said no. He said do it tonight.  Must be out of process by now?
When you return to store, it is part of the policy that you find the duty manager and confirm you are fit to return, yes duty should do the welcome back but you are also at fault if you didn't do this

oldfashionedplayer

true although its also line manager policy to make sure the colleague is okay and fit to return BEFORE they start ANY work. so also fault of management.

Sandman

Out of process yes, but the welcome back should still be done. They just can't take it any further.

lucgeo

Quote from: Longtimelad on 06-03-24, 09:23AM
When you return to store, it is part of the policy that you find the duty manager and confirm you are fit to return, yes duty should do the welcome back but you are also at fault if you didn't do this
Another part of the partnership agreement allowed to erode onto the side of the management! Why is the onus suddenly on the employees to confirm they're fit for work?? They should only inform the manager they are back, and the welcome back should be held before their first shift, ...if that is now not policy, then it's highly questionable as to whether the employee is a liability?? If an employee returns and says" I'm back, but don't feel fit enough to resume regular duties" are they sent home?

The whole point of the welcome back is for the manager to asses and ascertain if the employee is on any medication that could affect certain aspects of their role, is 100% back on form, or any extra support they may need, before they resume their role.
It's possible that a returning employee, not immediately fully assessed on their return for being fit enough, to then suffer or cause any injury, could claim Tesco liable for lack of duty of care from management.

Cocktail

Quote from: lucgeo on 07-03-24, 04:29PM
Quote from: Longtimelad on 06-03-24, 09:23AM
Another part of the partnership agreement allowed to erode onto the side of the management! Why is the onus suddenly on the employees to confirm they're fit for work?? They should only inform the manager they are back, and the welcome back should be held before their first shift, ...if that is now not policy, then it's highly questionable as to whether the employee is a liability?? If an employee returns and says" I'm back, but don't feel fit enough to resume regular duties" are they sent home?

The whole point of the welcome back is for the manager to asses and ascertain if the employee is on any medication that could affect certain aspects of their role, is 100% back on form, or any extra support they may need, before they resume their role.
It's possible that a returning employee, not immediately fully assessed on their return for being fit enough, to then suffer or cause any injury, could claim Tesco liable for lack of duty of care from management.
while I agree that the welcome back must be done prior to start working I don't see the point of someone returning and then saying they aren't fit to work, in my store if you say you're not fit to work you will be sent home, no ifs or buts, its the first question that is asked on returning...while it is normal some people may not have fully recovered from their illnesses on returning and will need support like light duties etc they will have to say yes when the question is asked..there are follow up questions pertaining to their needs and requirements in supporting their return.

oldfashionedplayer

also to note Lucgeo its been a part of the manager for atleast 5+ years that i can remember that they check in and do it before starting shift... Been a while since I was off prior to that to check the information back then lol.

lucgeo

Yes I'm aware they changed it a while back...but my argument then, as now, is the liability issue.

A welcome back is just that, an assessment of your fitness to return, any extra support or medication taking and if your % requires a follow up attendance review. It should be held in a private area, not just a statement of return from the employee on the shopfloor in front of other colleagues as was the case in my store, with no probing questions as to your current state of health or ability to perform your role, just a "catch up with you later"

If a support plan is needed, or a concern of medication side effects affecting their ability to do their role, are they expected to proclaim that for all in earshot to hear to get a private meeting ??? Data protection and liability issues!!!

oldfashionedplayer

Oh too right I fully agree there, your supposed to find the colleague and take them to a 1 to 1 space to have the chat / return to work thing as you say, cause  it's highly unlikely they want to share why they were off in public etc or even go into much detail at all, so it's supposed to be a support network too... Its something that is never followed but should be.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk