News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

29-03-24, 10:38AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,129
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 471
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 425
Total: 425

Pay Review 2022

Started by yeetus, 29-03-22, 08:30PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barafear

Within the April "Pay Review details" it did state the following:

All existing colleagues on a new starter rate or colleagues joining after 24 July will be uplifted to the established rate of pay.

There are no changes to location pay/night premiums and no changes to Sunday premiums for existing colleagues.

But nothing specific about premiums for "new starters/joining after 24 July"

Bizarrely on this link, there is still mention of 25% discount at Tesco Cafe - so something doesn't sit right does it - not sure if this is an "old page" - still accessible.

https://www.tescoplc.com/news/2022/tesco-makes-significant-investment-in-colleague-pay-benefits-and-skills/

ll

The article on Colleague Help was last updated on Oct 4. I'm curious what it said when it was first published, as it would seem it's been amended.

barafear

I'm guessing the only change in the Oct update was the further 20p increase.

Cbatt566

Quote from: NightAndDay on 24-10-22, 01:01AMTill operating systems aren't my area, the epos application on the tills are, strict budgets are in place for the hardware and OS that are on the tills, I fulfil the requirements to lead a team to develop embedded software to run on those thin clients, I don't have control over what hardware they deploy, I can make recommendations, but ultimately, the commercial director gets the final say in what schema is used around all stores, budgets are very tight in Retail.

And they can't mandate a pay cut for my job as I'm exceedingly difficult to replace. Supply and demand are heavily in my favour, it would cost the firm a lot more to try and replace me than to pay me competitively to retain my sought after service provision.

You say your difficult to replace and this may be the case at the moment in the current market but trust me I know that in tech and in the structure of your team there are plenty of senior layers upon layers that could easily justify redundancies for a lovely Tesco cost saving exercise. Just saying.

Spinney

I do manual filling and I want redundancy payment 20 yrs service,  I'm forever correcting day fills! I'm still on nights ! Products been off sale for weeks and been worked regular I was told!! And from next week I'm going to do the least I can! News articles say robots are becoming more popular, very happy with that.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Cbatt566 on 26-10-22, 11:21PM
Quote from: NightAndDay on 24-10-22, 01:01AMTill operating systems aren't my area, the epos application on the tills are, strict budgets are in place for the hardware and OS that are on the tills, I fulfil the requirements to lead a team to develop embedded software to run on those thin clients, I don't have control over what hardware they deploy, I can make recommendations, but ultimately, the commercial director gets the final say in what schema is used around all stores, budgets are very tight in Retail.

And they can't mandate a pay cut for my job as I'm exceedingly difficult to replace. Supply and demand are heavily in my favour, it would cost the firm a lot more to try and replace me than to pay me competitively to retain my sought after service provision.

You say your difficult to replace and this may be the case at the moment in the current market but trust me I know that in tech and in the structure of your team there are plenty of senior layers upon layers that could easily justify redundancies for a lovely Tesco cost saving exercise. Just saying.

Look around you, the direction on cost saving is automation, and for the next 30-50 years IT and R&D departments are having their budgets increased, not decreased, to stay relevant in todays business world firms have got to embrace technology, I've jumped a few ships and have gotten a pay increase every time, it is simply not the case that the balls in the employers court, it is in mine, If I really wanted I can jump ship to another public or private sector enterprise and demand at least £100k a year.

Bleh

From shift leader to a 150k a year role, almost unheard of.

Redshoes

No amount of money is worth working for a company that you are totally negative towards. Going up the ranks has not decreased the negativity. There has to be more to life than living with that poison in your blood.
My job is hard but I like it and I like the people I work with. I just get frustrated and the tasks that keep coming but due to lack of staff we spend such a long time filling shelves.

Teddybonkers

Quote from: Bleh on 29-10-22, 04:27PMFrom shift leader to a 150k a year role, almost unheard of.

Not if you're living in a fantasy world. Does anyone on here take his comments seriously? :D

lucgeo

"My job is hard but I like it"...hence the reason you do it.

I think you're very much in the minority there  :-X In all workforce's across the country, there's probably a high % of disillusioned, disgruntled and very negative people carrying on doing a job they hate, because the reality is there's little choice. If they choose to leave, they cannot claim Jobseeker's Allowance for 6 months, so the luxury of "resting" until the dream job comes a knocking isn't an option, and the chance of that job being full time or even more hours contract than what they're currently working is as rare as hen's teeth!

So NightAndDay has found their niche for a well paid position, doesn't mean they have to love, or even like the company. Also doesn't mean they have forgotten the poor standards witnessed of their previous managers during his time working in a more lowly position, whilst training and making their way up, in a field they excel in.

So you love your job, you've been doing it a long time, you're in your comfort zone, but do you ever stop and think about the colleagues who work in your department under your management  ??? do you think they agree with your constant pushing of how wonderful your store is, and the "we must all pull together" mantra!

I've noted in the past, you've avoided commenting on Tesco policies, even when answering another poster, you bypass and have even ignored direct questions on what are the rules. So do you think your team are as happy as you think they are? Have you ever taken the time to ask them? How many of them have you told that they DON'T have to work Boxing Day and New Year's Day (2) in Scotland, when you've asked them to work a shift? Have you blocked any holiday requests for December, Easter or 5* weekends?

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Teddybonkers on 02-11-22, 11:11AM
Quote from: Bleh on 29-10-22, 04:27PMFrom shift leader to a 150k a year role, almost unheard of.

Not if you're living in a fantasy world. Does anyone on here take his comments seriously? :D

Granted, it does seem a bit surreal, how could a humble Shift Leader, a position that should be seen and not heard by management, ever have the temerity to exceed their station, much less to one several stations above senior management. I am the exception rather than the rule for how successful I've become, but lets not for a minute pretend that people don't leave Retail for better paid roles, it happens hundreds if not thousands of times a day

madness

I see no reason not to believe night and day. But you have to remember this site is full of some of the people with proper bile towards the company. So much so they spend their free time away from the company they hate so much to talk about it on an internet forum.
There are clearly bad stores and good stores.

There is far too much tinkering from above though as each new director, or area manager has to prove they add something by changing things.

NightAndDay

Quote from: Redshoes on 02-11-22, 09:40AMNo amount of money is worth working for a company that you are totally negative towards. Going up the ranks has not decreased the negativity. There has to be more to life than living with that poison in your blood.
My job is hard but I like it and I like the people I work with. I just get frustrated and the tasks that keep coming but due to lack of staff we spend such a long time filling shelves.

I see myself as a champion for workers rights while at the same time being astute to commercial and business concerns, I have had enough exposure on both sides of the fence to understand the pressures on both sides of the argument, cost of living for hourly wage colleagues and balancing the books on the financial side, especially when factoring in inflation, supply chain issues and changes to taxation policies at the government level, not to mention increased overheads from things like energy bills, for which corporations aren't protected by caps like consumers are.

I have and still do have numerous justified concerns over how Store operations are managed, particularly around corporate governance, promotion and development strategies, communications and health and safety. This however is not my area, but an educated outside observer would be able to see that the number of lawsuits Tesco gets around areas of employment laws and health and safety wouldn't stem from good management practices.

Tesco has a lot of work to do in this regard, but as previously mentioned, this is not my area, I'm drawing on my own experiences, experiences shared with countless others and an outsiders perspective. I've moved on and have come back in only in a professional capacity, my personal experience in my current role is great, I have no issues, I work with a competent team, knowlegable and courteous managers and we all have a shared desire to deliver excellence, this sort of culture and oversight needs to be adopted at store level in my personal opinion.

Cinderella

I was aware with the latest pay reviews that there would be an increase, but after getting paid today I'm getting a load of confused messages! Has basic pay decreased? And some people have a skills payment that wasn't there before? My own pay is over £100 less all of a sudden. Very confused!

Johnzo88

Pay increase of 20p per hour comes in from Sunday 13th Nov.

Dougall

Do you report to Guus Dekkers then?
As he is the head honcho for technology and has been for a while. He reports to Ken

Dougall

NightAndDay

Quote from: Dougall on 12-11-22, 08:13PMDo you report to Guus Dekkers then?
As he is the head honcho for technology and has been for a while. He reports to Ken

Guus is the CTO, I'm the head of one area of technology, I won't say which specifically though, but I will say that there's several positions between myself and him.

Paupers wage

Minimum wage going up to £10.40 an hour according to tomorrow's Times newspaper, how will Tesco's and other supermarkets react no doubt eager to quickly increase the £10.30 an hour!

Charlie Harper

It's laughable really. Tesco thought they'd done enough with the £10.30 rise to 'cover' them ready for when the next min wage increase was announced....WRONG!!  ;D

barafear

Just makes the removal of premiums that step closer. Rather like the intro of self serve tills (because customers like them), we'll get told Tesco staff want a simple flat rate of pay whenever you work. Clearly the majority of staff who don't work Sundays or nights would agree. Therefore Tesco would have that backing. And again, when the next pay rise is announced, the Press release will be how they're helping out their hard pushed staff.

5fdp

If you had bothered to read the recent pay rise info. The company had already stated that the next pay rise would be looked at in jan 23 and given by April. Therefore, they knew this was on the cards. Its no surprise to them.

NightAndDay

Really good opportunity for Tesco to be a living wage employer here and do right by their hard working staff which I'm hopeful they will.

Charlie Harper

Quote from: 5fdp on 17-11-22, 04:11PMIf you had bothered to read the recent pay rise info. The company had already stated that the next pay rise would be looked at in jan 23 and given by April. Therefore, they knew this was on the cards. Its no surprise to them.

I've seen nothing about it being agreed, done & dusted & in place by April. Yes, Spring was mentioned, but I'd bet they thought this £10.30 was gonna carry them past April 5th & buy them a bit of time...why do it otherwise?

Hammer10

Next pay rise will be 10.43 tight gits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk